Start by marking “Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)

Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan #6)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  482 ratings  ·  25 reviews
An encounter with alien intelligences has life-changing consequences for Captain Will Riker and the crew of the Starship Titan.
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Star Trek (first published October 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Synthesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Synthesis

Lance Schonberg
Sep 14, 2013 Lance Schonberg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
This is probably my favourite of the Titan books so far. While the cover makes it look like a romance novel, don't be fooled; just enjoy the characters and the story. And, really, it's the first book in the series where I really bought into all of the characters beyond just being familiar with the ones borrowed from pre-existing TV series. In part, that may be due to appearance in multiple books prior to now, but it's starting to feel like they're a crew, which is nice.

Once again with the univer
Micah
After a Torrent Sea this was a great recovery novel for the Titan Series. After the dismal set of events surrounding the plant Droplet, our explorers again find themselves randomly picking a planetoid/system and falling into anther adventure. The plot unfolds rapidly after the crew discovers the remains of a spacecraft that is sentient. This sentience brushes against the Titan computer increasing its self awareness creating a Data like dilemma about the rights of non-human beings. All of these e ...more
Matthew Bowers
Reread. 3.5 stars would be more accurate; this book is exciting, but flawed. The development of the Sentry culture and its origins is interesting, though I would have liked more development of the idea concerning their inability to change the nature of their programming. Likewise, the character of "Minuet" is shockingly underdeveloped, as is her relationship with the crew in general, and Captain Riker in particular. Likewise, the solution at the end of the novel feels too deux-ex-machinaey / tec ...more
Matthew Purnell
"Synthesis" by James Swallow is not only a great Star Trek story, it is a wonderful tale of science-fiction all by itself. You will experience the grand dynamics of the USS Titan's entire crew, all the diverse aliens who make up the ever expanding Federation are also a huge part of the story's main group of characters.

The main antagonists in this book are the artificial life forms found by the crew of the Titan within an unexplored region of the galaxy. They are "living computers" or more exactl
Morgiana
"It was okay" just about sums it up. I liked it better than Nightfall, one of Swallow's Stargate novels, but I just don't care for his writing that much. According to his bio in the back of this book, he pitched the story ideas for two episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, "One" and "Memorial"--but did not actually write the screenplay for either. I liked both of those episodes, and I think he can come up with some great stories. I just don't like how he writes them.

My main problem with this book was
Jimyanni
This was a pretty good read; the concept was worthwhile and fairly well handled. But without going into details that could provide a spoiler, I can't say much other than that the climax seemed like a real copout, not unlike the stories in the original TV series (or many other series) in which the main character falls in love, so you know that the love-interest has to die at the end.
Anni
Katie Buerk
Not much Troi in here but I assume it's because she's taking care of Riker and her daughter Natasha. Some very fun parts at the end. Not a big fan of Minuet.
Benjamin Plume
Another great installment in Titan. My only disappointment is in the few tiny pieces of information we got concerning the larger ST Universe. Those who follow the novels know there have been a few major "whacks" to the plot and continuity in the last couple of years and each new book that comes out I anticipate how they will deal with all of that. This one mostly skirts those issues...though those not happy with the overall direction of the novels might take that as a strength.
John
Jul 27, 2011 John added it
A very entertaining book, though not what I expected. Author James Swallow doesn't have a lot of Star Trek novels to his credit, so perhaps that is part of the reason this book seems a little less "Trekie" and a little more "Heady" that your run-of-the-mill ST novel. Still, quite entertaining and a must-read book for those following the exploits of the former crew members of the Enterprise and Voyage, in the "post Destiny" Star Trek Universe.
Dan
An interesting story, but a little plodding in some places. Interesting ethical questions are raised, and while they should be universe-shattering in implication, the effects are confined to this one story and don't seem likely to be explored in a wider forum. Interesting world-building and a new, unique life-form are the saving graces of the story.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/01/s...
Alex
Hands down the best book in the series. A surprisingly interesting machine civilization, tons of space battles very well described and the birth of Titan's newest crew member, even though it did not possess a physical form, bring forth an exciting story of exploration, trust, the cycle of life and death and how the mistakes of a species can centuries after threaten to doom entire solar systems.
Stephen
Bryan Williams
New Star Trek writer, but Mr. Swallow did a great job in keeping the Titan momentum going. Titan's travels have been some of the most "alien" of the Trek franchise I have read so far. The authors that have created/write Titan stories really strive to truly "explore strange new worlds," and to promote the best qualities of the Federation and humanity.

Bravo!
Steve
3.5 stars. While this book was enjoyable, it fell into obvious plot twists and what I felt was lazy writing. Having said that, it was a good story and with the exception of the obviousness, I am looking forward to raging more of the authors work.
Miket01
One of the surprisingly few Star Trek tie-in books I've read that really captures the feel of watching a great episode of the series. Typically hand-wavy science spoils the ending a bit, but otherwise one of my favorite Titan books so far.
Brendan Waite
An interesting concept in the Null, the Avatar & The Sentries. The book drags a little at times, but it is still over-all a good read and an enjoyable entry in the Titan series.

Nice little reference to 'Serenity' in there as well!
D. Eric
A typical Star Trek adventure, Synthesis' twist is the awakening sentient awareness of the Starship Titan itself while dealing with an artificial, yet sentient, first contact situation.
Jay
Apr 19, 2010 Jay added it
Shelves: star-trek
A good continuation of the Titan series. Great to see a new set of Star Trek stories.

Overall a goot book, worth the read.
Peter Wilson
another great titan book, however i was a little gutted at the end that the hologram was unable to be saved.
Richard
Sep 27, 2010 Richard added it
Shelves: have
was good, new life, new civilizations, and AI to boot
Audrey
It reads just like a TNG episode, which I enjoyed.
Ceremony
I found it the best so far !
Tom Folsom
Very predictable.
Amelia
Amelia added it
Jun 25, 2015
Laima
Laima added it
Jun 22, 2015
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Unworthy
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
James Swallow is a British author and scriptwriter, a New York Times Bestseller and BAFTA nominee. He is the author of over thirty-five original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes The Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 4
More about James Swallow...

Star Trek: Titan (9 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
The Flight of the Eisenstein Nemesis Fear to Tread Doctor Who: Peacemaker Deus Ex: Icarus Effect