Start by marking “No Second Chance” as Want to Read:
No Second Chance

No Second Chance

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  15,012 ratings  ·  843 reviews
When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter...

Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

Published (first published April 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about No Second Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Second Chance

Yulia
I know some may think Harlan Coben beneath them, but let me explain why I've find myself enjoying his books: First, I'm tired as heck of books where nothing happens put blushes hidden and a cough of disapproval. Second, I always had a fondness for books on killers (not to understand myself, but the opposite, I assure you). Third, I agree with most of Coben's values, like this snippet from No Second Chance:

"Edgar belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into belie...more
Lucy
I have mixed feelings about Harlan Coben. The first novel I read of his was part of the Myron Bolitar series and I so seriously disliked Myron and his sarcastic ways that I dismissed Cobens' books completely.

Then, a long airplane ride forced me to reconsider and I found myself enjoying his Tell No One. Smart, complicated and a likable protagonist (a far cry from Myron).

No Second Chance falls between the two ends of the spectrum, but closer to the good end. As I've learned is his usual set-up, hi...more
Alex
NO SECOND CHANCE (Pub. 2003) by Harlan Coben kept me turning the pages right up until the end. The story kicks off with a bang and gave me no choice but to read on because I had to find out what would happen next.

Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital, recovering from surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his chest during a home invasion. He quickly finds out that his wife was also shot and killed, and his infant daughter has been kidnapped. Seidman is desperate to find his daughter but his search...more
Mary JL
Feb 08, 2012 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries and thrillers
Shelves: mystery-horror
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital after 12 days. He had been shot and left for dead; his wife was killed and their six month old daughter,Tara, is missing.

When he gets a ransom note, he is desperate to save his daughter's life. Tara's grandfather, who is quite wealthy, puts up $2 million and Marc attempts the swap. It is not sucessufl and Marc feels he has lost it all.

Then , 18 months later, he DOES get a second chance--despite the title--and this time he decides not to involve the police....more
Nakita McDonagh
Plastic Surgeon Marc Seidman wakes up in ICU to find he's been nearly killed, his wife is dead and his baby daughter Tara, is missing. There's a ransome note that demands Marc not get the police involved; if he does, he doesn't get Tara back. He won't get a second chance.

As much as I love the Myron Bolitar series, I also love Coben's stand alone novels. I can't believe it took me so long to read No Second Chance. One word; AMAZING. There wasn't a minute whilst reading this book where I knew wha...more
Dana
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot, his wife murdered and his baby daughter kidnapped. When Marc is finally ready to go home from the hospital his wealthy, priggish father-in-law summons him to see the ransom note.

Seidman goes against instructions and involves the police and things go terribly wrong. Marc soon finds himself turned upside down in an attempt to try and find his daughter.

Just when you think you have it figured out the story hits another bump and twist and you start all over. A great se...more
Adam
Samantha
No Second Chance was everything that I expected it to be. It was fast paced, page turning action that constantly left me wondering what could possibly happen next. This is my third book by Coben and although it wasn't my favorite (that still remains as my first read Tell No One by Coben) it was a solid second.

In this book Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up from a coma to realize that he has lost everything. His infant daughter has disappeared and his wife is dead. The worst part of all is that all of Ma...more
Barbra
I always like Coben's books. Good thriller and good plot.

Back Cover Blurb:
'When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter'.....Marc Seidman wakes up in ICU to find his wife has been murdered and his baby daughter, Tara, has vanished. Then something arrives to give Marc new hope: a ransom note. 'We are watching. If you contact the authorities you will never see your daughter again. There will be no second chance'.
The note is chilling, but Marc sees only one thing: the chance to save...more
Carrie Straka
This book wasn't my favorite Coben book. I really enjoyed it at first, but then it just started to drag.

The thing that really bothered me about this one was that the main character Marc Seidman has the same name as a main character in Coben's first book, Play Dead. In a letter to readers at the beginning of Play Dead, Coben mentions that sometimes he borrowed details from Play Dead and used them in other books.

I didn't like that, because it seems like writers should not use the same name for c...more
Guilherme
No Second Chance is a typical mystery by Harlan Coben. As some books that I read from him, this book involves a crime and it happened with a family. Although we can guess some scenes, his books are always very interesting. One example is the beginning of the book, which the character, Dr. Seidman, woke up on a bed of hospital with his wife murdered his daughter vanished. This event was definitely the first major event of the story.

His house was attacked, and he was bulled twice. Because of this...more
Lanie
This book took me completely by surprise. I rated it high because of its superior story notes on so many levels. First of all, if you have children, this story will tug at your heartstrings. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital to find out that 12 days earlier, his wife was killed and his 6 month old daughter has disappeared. You don't have to work too hard to put yourself in his shoes. So I got into this one right away. I remember what my babies were like at 6 months, and I was panicked just thi...more
Stephen Clynes

This story is NOT hot off the press as Harlan wrote this novel in 2003. Does this 391 page crime thriller seem out of date, reading it 11 years after it was first published? NO! this book is a stonking good read and it DOES NOT show it's age. What you get is a first class read that fully entertains you from start to finish. No Second Chance is a FULL story will loads of detail and lots of tw...more
Muddypuddles
I have read a fair few of Harlan Coben's books, and they certainly keep me turning the pages. The trouble is, they're a bit like McDonalds burgers: you really fancy one, but after you've finished it you feel unsatisfied and a bit empty. Doesn't stop you fancying another one though.

This book was a real HC by numbers, although thank God it didn't have that godawful Hester Crimstein in it. All the other usual plot lines were there though: the teenage love affair that cast a long shadow over all fut...more
Colt Leasure
On one hand I appreciate the mans work, on the other I can see why so many crime novelists think his voice isn't gritty or cynical enough. I see the pastiche of every other major writer in the genre, and it works. What makes Coben distinct is his obsession with loss and missing people - a theme that I appreciate but also see the flaw in, as its Cobens way of dealing with death in a very candy coated way. Yet that doesn't take away entirely from his talent. The unexpected plot turns and interesti...more
David
In much the same way Alfred Hitchcock was a master at building up tension in his movies, Coben succeeds at creating an air of tension and desperation. At the same time, Coben manages to drop a number of "lines in the water" meaning that there are always multiple questions hanging in the reader (and hero's) minds. He carefully resolves each one slowly and surely, and he does it like a master fisherman, because he knows how to "set the hook" in his reader's minds and keep them wondering.

In "No Sec...more
Greg Bascom
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital to discover that twelve days earlier someone kidnapped his six-month old daughter, murdered his wife and left him for dead with two gunshots in the chest. Not easy to figure this one, until the ransom demand arrives for two million dollars. It stipulates not to contact the authorities or else - NO SECOND CHANCE. Marc agonizes before involving the cops and FBI. His father-in-law provides the two million, which the culprits take and, true to their word, of...more
Erin
I love Harlan Coben--I really do. He has a similar style to Lee Child, but to me his characters are more personal, less "badass can take down any bad guy" and his stories are less complex and less detailed--in a good way. He keeps that pacing CRANKING. I mean, the book starts out with this line: "When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter." That's a great opening! Coben keeps the tension high throughout the story, and actually resolved it in a really satisfying way. I objected...more
Bandit
This is a classic Coben. Which is a good thing. The man has a formula, he sticks to it, I like consistency. Plus I always found suburbs unsettling and Coben's books tends to justify my thinking. This book (and I think I might have read it ages ago and forgot it, which is good because it proves these books can be forgotten enough to be eventually reread) has more moral ambiguity than some of his other ones, it's a nice change. Fast read as they all are. The great thing about Coben is that he writ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yeah, Coben's stories are a little formulaic and predictable, but I love them nonetheless. They are exciting and fast reads. I like the earlier ones better than the more recent, and No Second Chance is one of my favorites.

"He earned his money the old fashioned way: He inherited it. The more things were handed to you on a silver platter, the more you complain about welfare mothers and government handouts. He belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believing t...more
Cynthia
Sam Arnold
Personally Harlan Coben is one of my favourite authors. Having said that I just didn't get into this book. His other books have drawn me in and hooked me but this was not the same. I have to be honest and say personally I have not been having a good time recently so the lack of enthusiasm for the book could be more to do with that than anything.

I seriously struggled through this book. The story was good and had some great twists along the way. The characters I didn't really bother about and tha...more
John
Lightweight but pulse-pounding entertainment. The oddly-titled NO SECOND CHANCE (it would have made a lot more sense to call it SECOND CHANCES) never takes its foot off the gas pedal, making it a far more enjoyable read than my first experience with Harlan Coben. Coben's writing, while seldom profound, keeps the story charging rapidly ahead while still remaining introspective and maintaining a strong eye for detail--although, I must admit I'm not a fan of the alternating first- and third-person...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Marc,Monica,Stacey,Lydia,Dina, Verne, Katarina just to name a few, how do they all tie into the kidnapping of Dr. Marc Seidman's daughter? even after 18 months, why would they come back again? who is behind all of it, why kill his wife? sister, and attempt to kill him. After all he is only a doctor? who has the possibility of no second chance find out, i won't tell, neither would Harlan Coben you have to buy the book cuz i won't tell. there is no second chance.
This book had me going to read it i...more
Mike Calvo
This book is awesome! It's a great read. Even though it's my second time reading it, it's still just as good as the first time. Enjoy!
Misha Crews
I didn't enjoy this one as much as The Woods, but No Second Chance definitely kept me reading and guessing! It's a great mystery/thriller with a wrenching emotional element and some very memorable characters. Highly recommended!
Jordy Flynn
I gave this novel five stars for pure suspense. I know, I know... There are plenty of people who would blow an aneurysm at the thought of a five star rating for such a 'pulp' principle. I've read plenty of those reviews. (I always wait until after I've finished a book to read the reviews. Corny, but I don't want my experience tainted by someone else's opinion. You know the old adage relating opinions to orifices.)

I've always held to the idea that all a story really needs to do is entertain you....more
Christine Blachford
Plot: Marc, a plastic surgeon, wakes up from being shot to find his wife dead and his baby girl missing. The story follows his struggle to come to terms with these and the events that follow as he tries to find her.

Characters: Marc is an interesting character and you get right inside his head. Rachel is an ex-Fed and uses all her powers to help him out, and manages to be lovely with it.

Style Of Writing: Well, I thought it was going to be great, it starts off well and Marc writes in first person,...more
Shannon
Marc Seidman awakens in the hospital twelve days after being shot and left for dead. His wife, Monica, is dead. And his infant daughter, Tara, is missing, and assumed dead. That is until the ransom demand arrives with the warning: There will be no second chance. With his emotions raw, he alerts the police. When he drops the ransom money to the kidnappers, they disappear...

Surviving on the hope that his daughter is still alive, Marc has tried to move forward with his life...until 18 months later,...more
Joseph
As soon as I read the blurb for this book by Harlan Coben, I instantly decided to read it. This book in fact hooked me from the very first line and took me on a heart-pounding, breathtaking journey.

Dr Marc Seidman is shot twice at his home, he barely survives and regains consciousness twelve days later in hospital. He learns that his wife Monica is dead, killed in the same attack, and his 6-month-old daughter Tara is missing...probably kidnapped by the attackers.

Who attacked the Seidmans? Why?...more
Bookwormed Reviews: No Second Chance - Harlan Coben 3 9 Jan 21, 2014 02:29PM
Le résumé en français 1 5 Jun 16, 2013 08:01AM
  • Too Close to Home
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • True Evil
  • Praying for Sleep
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)
  • Killer Takes All
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • Killer Instinct
With over 50 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last six consecutive novels, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His first Young Adult novel SHELTER was just released in paperback, and the second in the Mickey Bolitar series, SECONDS AWAY, was released on September 18th....more
More about Harlan Coben...
Tell No One The Woods Caught Hold Tight Stay Close

“Fame is more addictive than crack. Adults who lose fame--one-hit wonders, for example--usually tailspin into depression, though they try to act like they're above it. They don't want to admit the truth. Their whole life is a lie, a desperate scramble for another dose of that most potent of drugs. Fame” 4 likes
“I look at her, then at Tasha, and I feel the wondrous blend of bliss and fear. They--bliss and fear--are constant companions. Rarely does one venture out without the other.” 3 likes