Start by marking “1, 2 Peter, Jude (New American Commentary)” as Want to Read:
1, 2 Peter, Jude (New American Commentary)

1, 2 Peter, Jude (New American Bible Commentary, New Testament Set)

THE NEW AMERICAN COMMENTARY is for the minister or Bible student who wants to understand and expound the Scriptures. Notable features include:* commentary based on THE NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION;* the NIV text printed in the body of the commentary;* sound scholarly methodology that reflects capable research in the original languages;* interpretation that emphasizes the theo ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Holman Reference

To ask other readers questions about 1, 2 Peter, Jude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1, 2 Peter, Jude

1nemind
Sep 05, 2014 1nemind rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
Another excellent commentary to add to the The New American Commentary series by B&H. Scholarly, pastoral and thoroughly evangelical.

Thomas Schreiner is definitely one of my favorite commentators. And in his commentary on 1st, and 2nd Peter and Jude, he does not disappoint! He is scholarly, yet easy to read, in depth, yet not tedious, and, in my opinion, most importantly of all, he seems to be a genuine believer who writes with a desire to not only edify his readers but exhort and convict th
Peter Krol
May 30, 2009 Peter Krol rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentaries
I read Schreiner's comments on 1 Peter, and they were superb. He does a great job at observing the text and explaining the flow of thought. He is easy to read, while still scholarly. Also, and I rarely find this done well in biblical commentaries, he handles Old Testament quotes and allusions very well. Sometimes in brief and sometimes at length, he goes back to the OT context to show what the passage meant then and how Peter is using it now.

This was very helpful to me as I prepared for a Bible
Spencer
Oct 15, 2013 Spencer rated it it was amazing
Schreiner delivers a scholarly work that helped me gain a more complete understanding of 1 Peter, Jude, and 2 Peter.

1 Peter - We are pilgrims journeying towards our eternal home. We endure adversity, represent Christ with our lives, and, above all, we love each other. We do these things by the grace God has supplied unto the glory He is due.

2 Peter/Jude - Jude, I am convinced, precedes 2 Peter. Peter would expand upon Jude in his letter while Jude helps us with interpretive difficulties in 2 P
Chuck Bonadies
Mar 07, 2011 Chuck Bonadies rated it it was amazing
Outstanding commentary! I've yet to come across a commentator that lays out the issues as clearly as Schreiner. His handling of the intertextual, non-canonical books (e.g. Jude's use of the Assumption of Moses)leads a reader to appreciate why Jude chose to include these Jewish texts. If I was only allowed a single work on Jude, I'd choose this one.

CB
Vaughn
Feb 04, 2014 Vaughn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly the best commentary in the series. I find everything to by Thomas Schreiner to be high-quality, well-researched, and most importantly true to the Scripture. Highly recommended.
Ryan Linkous
Dec 16, 2012 Ryan Linkous rated it really liked it
I read the 2 Peter portion of this commentary. Schreiner does a good job and confronts theological issues most commentators avoid.
David Phillips
David Phillips rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Ashadelo
Ashadelo rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Nate Claiborne
Nate Claiborne rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Lucas O'Neill
Lucas O'Neill rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Jeff Johnson
Jeff Johnson rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Glen
Glen rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Deky
Deky rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Jay Haugh
Jay Haugh rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Kory Capps
Kory Capps rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Steve Stanley
Steve Stanley rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Roger Watkins
Roger Watkins rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Scott Wilson
Scott Wilson rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Dr. Z
Dr. Z rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Julian L. Padgett
Julian L. Padgett rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Lucas Bradburn
Lucas Bradburn rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it did not like it
May 12, 2017
Deky
Deky rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Bart Box
Bart Box rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Chris Bartus
Chris Bartus rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Jason Schifo
Jason Schifo rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Dave Sammath
Dave Sammath rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Trey Herweck
Trey Herweck rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Matthew Grotheer
Matthew Grotheer rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Thomas R. Schreiner (PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary) is James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. He is the author or editor of numerous books, including New Testament Theology; Magnifying God in Christ; Apostle of God's Glory in Christ; and Romans in the Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament.
More about Thomas R. Schreiner...

New American Bible Commentary, New Testament Set (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Matthew (New American Commentary)
  • Mark (New American Commentary)
  • Luke (New American Commentary)
  • John 1-11: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture
  • New American Commentary: John 12-21 (New American Commentary)
  • New American Commentary: Acts (New American Commentary)
  • Romans: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture
  • The New American Commentary: 1 Corinthians (New American Commentary)
  • 2 Corinthians: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture