Start by marking “Naming the Child: Hope-Filled Reflections on Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Death” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Hope and healing for those who suddenly find themselves in the most terrible sort of grief

For those who have experienced miscarriage, stillbirth, or the death of a child within the first year, this gentle resource offers:
stories of hope and wisdom; practical advice and guidance, based on the experience of many; comfort and ways to honor and remember.
Naming the Child crea
Published March 1st 2009 by Paraclete Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Naming the Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naming the Child

Megan
Oct 22, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: miscarriage
"In the streets of Japan, you probably won't hear Japanese equivalents for terms like fetus or product of a pregnancy to describe the unborn. Instead you'll hear a gentler term, mizuko, which literally means 'a child of the waters.' This term is also used for miscarried babies, aborted babies, stillborns, or those who died shortly after birth, to express the Japaneses belief that human life emerges slowly, progressively, in the warm waters of the womb. Babies who never have the opportunity to br ...more
Erin
Nov 15, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Did you know that Japanese have a term for babies that never make it to birth? These babies are known as water babies and Japanese mothers create shrines for these children. They remember these babies. As the mother of two such water babies, I loved the idea of remembering my babies and that they actually existed.

This book provides stories of other people who have experienced miscarriages, stillbirth, and infant deaths. This is a book about hope and is written from a Christian perspective. Inte
Jane G Meyer
Sep 21, 2009 Jane G Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adultnon-fiction
Naming the Child: Hope-filled Reflections on Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Death.

This is a very well written, powerful yet peaceful book. The grief that comes with losing a child is all around us. Just in my small circle of friends, in only the last few years, I have known those who have experienced every one of the struggles presented in the subtitle... And the loss of a child has happened in my own life.

What I gained most from this book was the ability to glimpse inside other's experienc
Kimberly
Sep 10, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I really related to the stories in this book. I like that it has suggestions for how to help your friends and loved ones that are experiencing the loss of a baby.
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I really needed this. Loved it and it made me feel like I wasn't crazy for feeling the way I do.
Robyn
Aug 03, 2009 Robyn rated it really liked it
This book has really got me thinking. It is good for anyone to read who has had a baby die in the womb or out. It is also an excellent read for thoes of you who know someone who has. And if you know me then you do. The author give suggestions on how to help someone cope.
Lisa Wuertz
May 09, 2013 Lisa Wuertz rated it really liked it
I read several articles online and things people recommended I read in the days and weeks following my miscarriage and this is by far the best of them.
Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2009 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: nytimes, memoirs
As seen on Freakonomics.
Jan Molaska
Jun 01, 2013 Jan Molaska rated it liked it
It didn't talk as much about miscarriages as I thought it would
Wendy
Mar 31, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
A helpful book during a difficult time.
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Rana
Rana rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Simon
Simon added it
Mar 18, 2016
Rosemary Moffitt
Rosemary Moffitt rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Kim Ghaner
Kim Ghaner rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Tasha
Tasha rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Emmelia
Emmelia marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Corinne
Corinne rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Miriam Nelson
Miriam Nelson rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
Maegan Murray
Maegan Murray rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 18, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Koh Lin
Koh Lin rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Olga
Olga rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Nicki
Nicki rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Matushka Jenny Schroedel has published essays and book reviews in a variety of magazines, including Books & Culture, Portland Magazine, and First Things. She has a Masters in Theology from St. Vladimir's Seminary. She lives in Hawaii with her husband John, an Orthodox priest, and their two daughters.
More about Jenny Schroedel...