The Holy Road (Dances with Wolves, #2)

The Holy Road (Dances With Wolves #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  40 reviews
An unforgettable American story, Dances With Wolves was an international bestseller that has become a modern classic. The 1990 film adaptation won seven Academy Awards. In The Holy Road, master storyteller Michael Blake at long last continues the saga. Eleven years have passed since Lieutenant John Dunbar became the Comanche warrior Dances With Wolves and married Stands Wi...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Hrymfaxe (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Holy Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holy Road

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. GwynneThe Comanche Empire by Pekka HämäläinenComanche Moon by Jack JacksonBeing Comanche by Morris W. FosterDead Man's Walk by Larry McMurtry
Comanche
8th out of 34 books — 4 voters
Dances with Wolves by Michael BlakeAirman Mortensen by Michael BlakeMarching to Valhalla by Michael BlakeThe Holy Road by Michael BlakeInto The Stars by Michael Blake
Best of Michael Blake
4th out of 8 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Dsinglet
This is a sequel to Dances With Wolves although it has less emphasis on him and his family. And more emphasis on the persecution and forced move of the tribes onto reservations. We watch Dances risk his life to rescue his wife and daughter by trying to be white again to pass into the culture to find them. We see the tribal relationships build and eventually split into those who desire peace and those unwilling to give up their homeland and way of life.

He does a great section on seeing white civ...more
Tommy /|\
When I found out that there was a sequel to "Dances With Wolves" - I was extremely excited and happy. As a movie, DWW was fun to watch and stirred certain parts of my Pagan and Druidic soul. The novel of DWW brought everything into an even clearer focus and made a familiar storyline that much more fun for me. Sadly, "The Holy Road" didn't conjure the same feelings for me - at least not the first two-thirds of the book. Where DWW brought the concepts of daily American Indian life into focus -- TH...more
Drick
This book is a sequel to Blake's earlier Dances with Wolves, which was made into a movie starring Kevin Costner. This book starts 12 years after Dances in the mid-1870's when the U.S. Government is moving Comanches, Kiowas and other tribes on to reservations by force. Black tells the story of this painful period from the Native American perspective and its not pretty. Through the story you get a glimpse at the Comanche culture and the way of life they fought so despertely to preserve. The white...more
Kathleen
This is a sequel to Dances With Wolves (which was a novel before the movie). I can't say I totally didn't like it -- but it was disappointing and depressing. It has none of the charm of the original. It also doesn't have a real story in it -- Dances was the story of a man finding his true path, not just a depiction of Native Americans. This book just depicts the demise of the Native Americans, and adds nothing new to the telling.
Mary Brownfield
Wow, talk about depressing. I am drawn to stories that detail the human condition in bleak and unforgiving portraiture; this novel did not disappoint me. In beautifully written prose, the plight and subsequent destruction of the Comanche through US policy is detailed in an intimate fashion. You weep at the foretold destruction of these people, and yet you can't help but hope that against all historical accuracy they will prevail.
Karen
Dec 30, 2007 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
What I learned I learned from Michael Blake. Met him at the book release here in Tucson, Arizona. He has a true love for the Native Americans and the plight of the Buffalo. He gave me advice as an aspiring writer, never stop writing. His words have always stayed with me.
Book Concierge
The sequel to "Dances With Wolves" was very disappointing. I felt the author was just captalizing on the popularity of the earlier work.
Sheri Ward
The second part to Dances with Wolves and the end of a way of life...the story is heartbreaking, but beautiful.
Anna
I rarely cry while reading books, but this took the cake. I don't think I've read anything more depressing.
Nik Morton
The Holy Road is a beautifully written historical novel. Dances with Wolves was published in 1988, the film was released in 1991. Michael Blake wrote the screenplay to his novel, so it is naturally very faithful to the book, with a few exceptions (mentioned below). Blake took some fifteen years before he could put ink to paper to continue the story, and the sequel was published in 2001. Blake now states in the 2011 reprint (Zova Books), ‘Unfortunately, what took place with all, including John Du...more
Kerry Hennigan
While the subjugation of the plains Comanche by the US Army is inevitable, it doesn't make Michael Blake's sequel to Dances with Wolves any less compelling.

When The Holy Road commences, Dances with Wolves and Stands with a Fist and their children still live in the village of old Ten Bears, though their lodge is set a little apart from the others. Though both white, with white offspring, they are no longer considered, nor consider themselves, anything other than Comanche.

As white hunters decimate...more
Matt Horowitz
Dances with Wolves the book was everything I expected it to be. After all, its a script turned into a book turned into a script again. It was a good read but go see the movie (Costner does so few things right give him his due). The Holy Road was much better as a story suited to be read.
I was very conflicted reading this. On the one hand I do feel a lot of technology has ruined society. I particularly blame cellphones (they certainly ruined our attention span). So I can identify with the plight...more
Simon
Michael Blake’s The Holy Road picks up the story of Dances with Wolves and his Comanche tribesmen a decade after the white soldier’s integration into Plains Indian society. Surprisingly, though, the white soldier turned red warrior is not a central character in this sequel. Rather, the story focuses primarily on the welfare and confederation of the greater Comanche tribe as the “white tide” increasingly encroaches on their land and resources, pressing them to adopt the “Holy Road” (civilized, Ch...more
Daniel Currie
I would give this 3.5 stars if I could.

It picks up 10 years after the end of Dances with Wolves and explains some, but certainly not all, of what happened during that time.

It gives us a good overview of life for the Comanche at that point, but there is no really point to the book, other than describing the onset of the white settlers. No character is given any notable treatment in the book, pretty much everyone you know is included in the plot.

As the book winds on, altho there is probably litt...more
Catherine
This is the sequel to Dances With Wolves and examines the time when Cheyenne and settlers were coming into more contact as the transcontinental railroad crosses Indian Territory. Like Dances With Wolves, it is based on history and tells things from the point of view of the Cheyenne.
Cheryl
From the Brighton Library. I heard about this on a TV show about the making of Dances With Wolves. This is the sequel following Dunbar (Dances with Wolves) and Stands with a Fist. I haven't read the first book, but did see the movie. I suspect the movie differs from the book with Dances with Wolves and Stands with a Fist separating themselves from Ten Bears' village to protect them from his traitorous ties to white men. In this book, Dances and Stands are an integral part of the tribe. Also, in...more
Patricia Kaniasty
Very different feel to it than in "Dances with Wolves". This is a very depressing story that just wants to make you cry. I can't believe that almost all were killed off. Very little of the story had to do with Dances with Wolves and his family. Mostly it was about Kicking Bird and his. Still, a great read.
Wendy
Certainly not nearly as good as it’s prequel, Dances With Wolves (didn’t read the book but completely love the 5-Star movie). Same characters but hard to keep track of them all with their long names and this being a mostly descriptive book with little dialog. Good story, but it just lacked that something special.

Helpful tip to whoever made theses CDs: Use SECTION BREAKS like everyone else! One hour-long track on each disc is very inconvenient, especially if you lose your place for some reason an...more
Jessica Song
SPOILERS (THOUGH YOU MAY WANT TO KNOW THIS)

WHY DO PEOPLE BOTHER WRITING BOOKS ABOUT DYING! ALL THE MAIN CHARACTERS EXCEPT FOR STANDS WITH A FIST!

I didn't like it, I don't want to read about people dying sorry!
Sherri Whittenburg-hampton
Following the lives of Native Americans as they fight soldiers for their land and then ultimately end up in reservations was a hard to pill to swallow. The realization of what our ancestors put these incredible people through is a difficult reminder of our humanitarian shortcomings. This sequel to Dances With Wolves was written as beautifully as I expected. You care for these people immensely and though you know the eventual outcome, you find yourself hoping it won't happen after all.
Steven Howes
A good and easy read. However given the history of western expansion in the US, you know from the start that the ending probably won't be a very happy one. If you are looking for some sort of hidden meaning or message, it probably is that basically all humans are pretty much the same and with a little respect, all can get along together. The other is the strength of family and that some people will do just about anything to protect their loved ones.
Jim Johnson
The opening plot showed some real promise and sucked me in but the author chose to take the political route. He perpetuated the myth that Native Americans are all noble and good and environmentally-minded while white people are pretty much the opposite. He depicted the Commanche (even Dunbar) as incredibly simple-minded and naive. I hear they're wanting to make this one into a sequel of the first movie but that would be a mistake.
Lisa
Holy Road is the sequel to Dances with Wolves. The story picks up eleven years later with Dances with Wolves, Stands with a Fist, their children and their Comanche village. Beautifully-written, Michael Blake blends historical scholarship with a heart-wrenching, suspense-filled story. My suggestion is to see the movie again, read the first book, Dances with Wolves, and then read Holy Road.
Tim Countryman
It's as if the loss in The Holy Road is mine personally. I've been done with this book for two days, and there is still a sense of mourning and sadness. The characters become a part of your life. The dismantling of a people, the doom of a way of life, feels eminent from the first page.
Richard

An outstanding recounting of shameful events…this accessible and well-written narrative left me directly in the final experience of the book's main characters—present to a deep and profound despair. I encourage you to read this sequel to _Dances with Wolves_.

Lenka
Konečne som ju prečítala. Takmer tri týždne som ju nevedela prečítať. Príbeh núti k zamysleniu. Ak osídľovanie amerického kontinentu prebiehalo takto, tak človeku hneď klesne mienka o zmýšľaní bielych ľudí, ktorých chamtivosť presahuje niekedy medze.
Mike Currier
Better than the first book! The one the movie was made from, "Dances With Wolves". It finishes the story in a way you don't see coming, unless you study and follow the migration for the "white man" West, and the conquest of the American "Native".
Caisha
Its not as good a story as Dances With Wolves. I am slowly getting thru this one, which is a sure sign its not that great of a read.

I do however, appreciate the insight of the perspective of the Native Americans.
Laurel
I was so excited to learn that there is a sequel to Dances with Wolves. I especially enjoyed the first half of the book - getting reacquainted with old friends. Second half was long and sad.
aaron smith
It was alright..
Wish it had some more.. i dont know.. confrontation in it
Liked dances with wolves but this one.. was not as good as the first
still pretty decent in its own right tho
  • Crabwalk
  • Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments
  • Capricornia
  • The Case of the Sun Bather's Diary
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Evil, Inc. (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #2)
  • Keowee Valley
  • Mutant Message From Forever
  • Picture Maker
  • Terminal (Burke, #17)
  • Snow Angel
  • The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)
  • On the Rez
  • Stirring Up Strife (Hope Street Church Mystery, #1)
  • The Red and the Green (Vintage Classics)
  • The Sonderberg Case
  • Years of Grace
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
I am the author of several novels, including the New York Times #1 Bestseller Dances With Wolves and winner of the 1991 Academy Award.
More about Michael Blake...
Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1) Where There Is No Dentist Marching to Valhalla: A Novel of Custer's Last Days Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency Airman Mortensen