Start by marking “Mistress by Mistake” as Want to Read:
Mistress by Mistake

Mistress by Mistake

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Dutiful and dashing Lord Dashford decides to ward off the marriage-minded ladies of the ton by convincing the world he's throwing away his fortune on gambling and courtesans. But what to do when his mother throws a swooning heiress at him?

Heiress Evaline Pinchley has made a few mistakes in her life. One was letting her aunt drag her to the Dashford estate, where long-hidde
Mass Market Paperback, 335 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Berkley Sensation (first published October 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress by Mistake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress by Mistake

Melissa
Inara
I hate heroines who can´t hold their libido in check and swoon even when the hero doesn´t behave like a gentleman to them. Regrettably Evaline Pinchley the heroine of this book is such an annoying character. She´s a bit too driven by passion, behaves silly and isn´t very likeable in my opinion. Another irritating storyline is the constant interruption before our couple can "do the deed" – it´s getting old very fast. Drat, bother and blast seem to be the favorite words used by Evaline almost ever ...more
Holly
I wasn't sure when I started this if I was going to like it. I don't always like the "mistaken identity" theme. This one worked only because that wasn't the key plot element.

Dashford's plan to get out of his engagement was rather ridiculous. I don't really understand how it worked for as long as it did. That was very far fetched. Actually, the entire plot was just one big farce. The longer the story went on the more convoluted it became.

Oddly enough, that actually seemed to work. But it didn't c
Robin (RBBR)
Sara ♥
This book was all right. Not the best I've ever read, for sure...

The heroine is a woman named Evaline Pinchley, who has just turned 25 and has coming into her inheritance... Except her guardian (her aunt) is rather daft and has somehow missed that Evaline's birthday is in May instead of September, so she thinks she's still got 6 months to rule over her niece. She's not a very good guardian, to say the least. She was easily the most annoying character in the book.

The hero is Lord Randolf (worst
Jeeperz96
Spoiler Alert ?? - This book would have been better if it did not have so many subplots you needed a diagram to keep track of them all. However, the worst thing was he was SO HOT for her that they were barely able to complete a conversation from the day they met. He was trapped in a flooded basement for over an hour, she was trapped when she tried to help. They slogged thru knee-deep water, down a tunnel full of spider webs (and back again), up a set of "secret" stairs where she tripped, fell do ...more
Jackie
Definitely has the feel of a first novel. Heino writes well stylistically, but spends far too little time developing her characters, and far too much time playing out multiple plot strands for this to appeal to me. Books with silliness at heart need to be light and funny to engage me; this one, with so much time spent inside the h/h's heads but with little focus on their emotions rather than their attempts to puzzle out the mistaken ideas each has of the other (mistakes that a good sitting down ...more
Jean
This was a light read. You have your dissolute reprobate who is not really dissolute or quite the reprobate. The heiress who is not quite the heiress. The fiancée who is on again off again and a dastardly aunt looking to get her hands on her niece's fortune.

The beginning of the novel starts with mistaken identity then descends into misunderstanding and lots of twists and turns. If you don't take this book too seriously, it's actually a lot of fun.
Nikilyn
This was not what I was expecting from a pastor's wife... That being said, I really like it so far...

Now that I finished it I think it's one of the most ridiculous books I've ever read. The character development is just so-so, and the dialogue was horrendous. Since it was written by an American it sounded like the author was trying too hard to make the dialogue sound British. Too many "dash-it-all"'s for my liking.
Lisa Kay
This is the book! I couldn't remember for the longest time, but this is the book where the hero makes love to the heroine in the collapsed house. There is mud everywhere and he starts inserting fingers into certain orifices...yuk! You get the picture. This scene ruined an otherwise pleasant book.
Gemma
Too many misunderstandings. They dislike one another, but can't stop falling onto a horizontal surface together every time they're alone. And then they get interupted before they can actually do the deed. This scenario is repeated again and again. I doubt I'll try this author again.
Debbie
Historical Romance isn't normally my favorite genre. I was surprised that this book kept my interest. It was fairly predictable but it was actually pretty good. There was some humor. There was some sexual tension. The last half of the book was much better than the first half.
Alex
I had no expectation from this book...in fact, it was under my bed for at least 2 weeks until I finally decided to read it...IT WAS SUCH A GREAT SURPRISE!!!! Great plot, hottt chemistry and wonderful writing!
Michelle
I thought the book was okay, somethings seemed too farfetched for me and there are a lot of subplots and back stories for all the main characters, that were repeated throughout, but it was still cute.
Amy
Clever and a true comedy of manners--with lots of sexually explicit situations that made me laugh. Heino offers a unique spin on the Regency romantic comedies.
Chris
A decent romance, but I think I need to to get away from plots that hinge on easy-to-clear-up misunderstandings. And spineless heroines.
Annette McCleave
A terrific romantic romp. Fabulous independent heroine and plenty of amusing confusion over who was really whom.
Victoria Blacke
Drunken sex in a garden..Not my favorite "meet cute". Otherwise it was an enjoyable romp.
Bev Pettersen
This author makes me grin! Really enjoyed this book and look forward to more.
Carrie
Long and slow going.
Danica Midlil
Thoroughly enjoyable!
Sharon
Sharon added it
Dec 14, 2014
Annie
Annie is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
bhww11
bhww11 added it
Nov 27, 2014
Brandy Pescosolido
Brandy Pescosolido is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Susan Gee Heino began her writing career in the theatre. After several years of poverty and obscurity, her love of the English Regency time period led her to writing historical romance. In 2008 she won Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart Award (R) for Best Regency Historical and has become a national bestseller. Today she resides in rural Ohio with a menagerie of pets, her minister husband, ...more
More about Susan Gee Heino...
Damsel in Disguise The Earl's Passionate Plot Temptress in Training Passion and Pretense The Earl's Christmas Delivery