Start by marking “Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China and the United States” as Want to Read:
Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China and the United States

Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China and the United States

A comparison of Japanese, Chinese and American preschools, discussing how these schools both reflect and affect philosophies of child-rearing and early childhood education and larger social patterns and beliefs in each society.
Published January 23rd 1991 by Yale University Press (first published July 19th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Preschool in Three Cultures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preschool in Three Cultures

Sarah shieh
Sep 30, 2007 Sarah shieh marked it as to-read
I learned this book on the recommendation of my totur at first,but in china,it's hard to buy it now,because there is no chinese edition yet.
Lisa Wuertz
Sep 29, 2012 Lisa Wuertz rated it it was amazing
Totally fascinating! I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews stating it was hard to read and very much like an academic paper, but I did not find that to be the case. It read easily enough and I found so much to be very interesting. From the way the societal values of each culture play out in the way preschools are run to the history of preschools in each country and the impact this has on them today.

This book/study is written by three people of slightly different backgrou
Ben
As another reviewer said --- this was great ethnography that is excellent for de-privileging your viewpoint. I was able to get a much broader perspective on what people do to (raise) children, along with all sorts of culturally ingrained perspectives on group socialization, play and even philosophy like how to carry out justice.

There was a lot of dialogue at different levels: What actually happened when they observed classes, all the different people in the same culture who they interviewed and
Mauri
Oct 05, 2007 Mauri rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, japan
I'm already kind of annoyed at the lofty attitude the researchers and the American teachers are taking over the Japanese high student/teacher ratio. "Small classes are sooooo much better for four-year-olds and what do you mean we have a higher teen suicide rate in the US?"

Read the Japanese part and skipped the rest. In my mind, preschool really doesn't seem to matter as much as these authors think it does.

Also, the authors seemed to neglect the fact that, in Japan, "preschool" is everything up
Alex Cunningham
Jun 13, 2007 Alex Cunningham rated it liked it
"Preschool in Three Cultures" should be a deep and fascinating examination of a fundamental and highly influential part of these societies, and it is. The level of detail and observation is incredible. The analysis - especially of the subtle causal relationships between behaviors - is insightful and well-expressed. It is also overwhelming. Where the writing should be clear in addition to perceptive, it is instead dense and overcomplicated. Where it should let us into foreign environments to expl ...more
Jane
May 20, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it
May not be as relevant as before, since the study was done in the eighties (I think), but the main points are still valid, and Preschool in Three Cultures Revisited gives a pretty thorough update. This and Unequal Childhoods were probably my two favorite texts from sociology class last semester.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2011 Amanda added it
good ethnography - i think it's cool the way they show the video from each country to all the people in the same and other countries....helps to de-privilidge one viewpoint. it was cool to see the video in class too. you spend the whole time reading the book about it and then you can watch.
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2007
Tonya Vander
Tonya Vander rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
keong nakal
keong nakal rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2007
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2007
Peter Bruno
Peter Bruno rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Elí
Elí rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2012
diana esparza
diana esparza rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Marisa
Marisa rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Sarah Menezes
Sarah Menezes rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers' Understandng Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United States
  • The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom
  • Working in the Reggio Way: A Beginner's Guide for American Teachers
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
  • The Great Wall: China Against the World, 1000 BC - AD 2000
  • Return to Dragon Mountain: Memories of a Late Ming Man
  • Under the Black Umbrella: Voices from Colonial Korea, 1910-1945
  • The Last Emperor
  • Legends of the Samurai
  • The Hundred Languages of Children: The Reggio Emilia Approach Advanced Reflections
  • The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners that Shook the World in the Summer of 1900
  • Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, and Family Life
  • White Teacher
  • Theories of Childhood: An Introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget, and Vygotsky
  • Privilege: The Making of an Adolescent Elite at St. Paul's School