Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China and the United States

Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China and the United States

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A comparison of Japanese, Chinese and American preschools, discussing how these schools both reflect and affect philosophies of child-rearing and early childhood education and larger social patterns and beliefs in each society.
Published January 23rd 1991 by Yale University Press

Sarah shieh
Sep 30, 2007 Sarah shieh marked it as to-read
I learned this book on the recommendation of my totur at first,but in china,it's hard to buy it now,because there is no chinese edition yet.
Ben
As another reviewer said --- this was great ethnography that is excellent for de-privileging your viewpoint. I was able to get a much broader perspective on what people do to (raise) children, along with all sorts of culturally ingrained perspectives on group socialization, play and even philosophy like how to carry out justice.

There was a lot of dialogue at different levels: What actually happened when they observed classes, all the different people in the same culture who they interviewed and...more
Lisa Wuertz
Totally fascinating! I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews stating it was hard to read and very much like an academic paper, but I did not find that to be the case. It read easily enough and I found so much to be very interesting. From the way the societal values of each culture play out in the way preschools are run to the history of preschools in each country and the impact this has on them today.

This book/study is written by three people of slightly different backgrou...more
Mauri
I'm already kind of annoyed at the lofty attitude the researchers and the American teachers are taking over the Japanese high student/teacher ratio. "Small classes are sooooo much better for four-year-olds and what do you mean we have a higher teen suicide rate in the US?"

Read the Japanese part and skipped the rest. In my mind, preschool really doesn't seem to matter as much as these authors think it does.

Also, the authors seemed to neglect the fact that, in Japan, "preschool" is everything up...more
Alex Cunningham
"Preschool in Three Cultures" should be a deep and fascinating examination of a fundamental and highly influential part of these societies, and it is. The level of detail and observation is incredible. The analysis - especially of the subtle causal relationships between behaviors - is insightful and well-expressed. It is also overwhelming. Where the writing should be clear in addition to perceptive, it is instead dense and overcomplicated. Where it should let us into foreign environments to expl...more
Jane
May not be as relevant as before, since the study was done in the eighties (I think), but the main points are still valid, and Preschool in Three Cultures Revisited gives a pretty thorough update. This and Unequal Childhoods were probably my two favorite texts from sociology class last semester.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2011 Amanda added it
good ethnography - i think it's cool the way they show the video from each country to all the people in the same and other countries....helps to de-privilidge one viewpoint. it was cool to see the video in class too. you spend the whole time reading the book about it and then you can watch.
Keren Threlfall
Keren Threlfall marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Chayenne
Chayenne marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Michelle Sing
Michelle Sing marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Renee Corneille
Renee Corneille marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Aly
Aly marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Natalia Diaz-jackson
Natalia Diaz-jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Yoonah
Yoonah marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Sua Kim
Sua Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Poptart19
Poptart19 marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Jennifer Lange
Jennifer Lange marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Linds
Linds marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Re-Made in Japan: Everyday Life and Consumer Taste in a Changing Society Making a Place for Pleasure in Early Childhood Education Preschool in Three Cultures: Japan, China, and the United States