Start by marking “The Folded World: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Folded World: A Novel

The Folded World: A Novel

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  46 reviews
When Charlie Shade and Alice Bussard find each other, neither is prepared for the powerful, aching feeling of love that unites them. After falling for the cheerful and empathetic young man, Alice asks God: “Please, leave us alone. Leave us just like this.” But as their relationship evolves, and their family grows with the addition of twin girls, so too does Charlie’s caree ...more
Published February 10th 2009 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published May 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Folded World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Folded World

I had very high hopes for this book; there were even a few parts early on that led me to believe that it might end up on my list of favorites. The author has a gift for powerful, beautifully true statements that at times made me wish I had a pencil handy to underline them, and the book offers a rare and astute view into the overly-empathetic mind. It feels strange even to write that phrase, because I strongly believe that what the world needs most is moreempathy, but I also know from my own expe ...more
Matthew
Mar 13, 2009 Matthew rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a long-forgotten dusty shelf.
I was really displeased by this book. I felt the concept was ill-conceived, the writing was mediocre, and the characters' actions, interactions and behavior just bizarre.

Gaige wields a heavy head, weaving together a series of coincidences that builds an expectation of some significant resolution at the close of the book that we never see, making the opening pages of this book misleading.

I would recommend staying away from this one.
Kristin
This book falls in the "hard to describe" category. When my husband asked me what was about, I think I said "a young married couple, but a lot of other things, too." On the back of the book, a review said something to the effect that this book is about how lives are touched by both the absence and presence of love. It's a fitting little nutshell. The book is both subtle and particular at the same time. And the main reason I gave it four stars was Amity Gaige's writing. She has a knack for weird ...more
Alee
The Folded World is the story of Alice, a bookish loner, and Charlie, an idealist who wants more than anything to "do good" with his life. They meet by chance and fall in love almost overnight. Charlie becomes a social worker and takes his career very seriously. Alice spends nearly all of her time caring for their young twin daughters. As the demands of their daily lives begin to pull them away from one another, the book takes a surprising turn. I don't want to give too much away, but as the tit ...more
Casey
Khaulah
I liked certain parts of it, but others I found boring...
Since I really loved my psychology class in the summer semester, I was very interested in reading about the thoughts that go through the mind of a psychotic patient, and how at the time they seem to be right and beautiful, and they seem to make sense to them, yet they're entrapping them in their own selves. I understood how a suicidal psychotic patient might think, and that it's not only about despair or self loathing, it's also about them
Eoin
Had to stop after the sentence "her days were filled with marriage and bergamot". Too much.
Lolly LKH
Why I really liked it is for the writing, which annoyed other readers. I happen to believe in beautiful rambling sentences because it is better than reading elementary ones. Someone mentioned that nothing happens in this story but that isn't really true. The things that happen do so beneath the surface. This novel of a young married couple turns from quirky and sweet to dark and bitter. Of course there is sadness in the character study, how can there not be character study when one of the main c ...more
Anne
This is one of those books that seems better to me after I've finished and sat back to think about it than it did while I was reading it. Charlie, a social worker dealing with the mentally ill, and Alice, the young daughter of a librarian, meet and fall in love with the "better" qualities of the other. Once they are married, and the parents of twins, Charlie finds himself all-consumed by his work, and in particular one client named Opal. Alice, on the other hand, finds herself overwhelmed by par ...more
gwen
Loooooooooved this. Gaige takes an ordinary story about ordinary lives -- neglected woman, golden-boy guy, chance meeting on the street, falling in love, twin baby girls -- and turns it into something utterly beautiful by the sheer force of language and passion.

My favorite passage: "... that the universe was treacherous only in that it would outlast you, and knew your death and slowly breathed you in your whole life, but that despite all this, there were small ruins all over the territory, the p
Bonbon
As much as I hate the word 'quirky' I am going to use it to describe this book and I mean that in a good way. I wasn't too sure what the heck was happening in the very beginning, but I am somewhat into the book now and I have to say that it's very well written. Some lines are so spot on in detail and feeling, and while I am a little anxious about the outcome of the characters, I think I am going to stick with this one.
Edited to add: I finished this the other day. I really liked it. I found the w
J
Read her recent work “Schroder” and loved it, so I wanted to read more by this author... But, I just couldn’t get into this book. The poetic language was confusing, contradictory and nonsensical. I also didn’t buy into the “soul-mate” premise. As a little boy, Charlie “senses” the birth of his great love Alice from 500 miles away. Too far fetched for me!

I also noticed a couple spelling and grammar mistakes in the text. I’m assuming these were purposely done by the college professor/author as poe
Abbie
I just don't get it. This was the same as O My Darling - though I liked that much better. The story starts out wonderfully deep and interesting, and devolves quickly into something nonsensical.

She overwrites, and it's distracting. I particularly hate it, because I often - almost always - find that an overload of description detracts from the human emotions in a book. That's certainly the case here, and I kept feeling as if we, the readers, were missing something. The book was too odd for what it
Nancy Davis
Complex story of a young couple and their first few years of marriage; she is shy, he is not. He throws himself into his work as a social worker and gets caught up (too much so) with his patients. Meanwhile, they become parents of twins. Alice is bored, home alone, and lonely while Charlie works. A few other characters add complexity to the plot: her mother, Opal, Hal . . . and I do like the way the story ends. Written in surrealistic, almost flowery language, it is a smooth read and full of tho ...more
Riah
Apr 18, 2008 Riah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love or are mad or both
Shelves: fiction, literature
A journey into the madness of love and vulnerability. There is no explanation for this book that can do it justice. The characters are utterly tragic, their views undeniably existential yet surreal. What strength does it take to survive madness? What strength does it take to survive love? How do you balance these aspects of life, and how can you possibly balance your compassion with your essential passion? This book shares a beautiful perspective of what some would take as qoutidienne. Enjoy!
Jana
This book seemed totally non-realistic and that was OK with me--I like "other-worldlyness" but then as I got into his career of trying to save every patient, I remembered my early days of teaching and realized the realism was there--true to the bone! I found this a strong page turner. Anyone who has ever been a teacher, social worker, nurse--who started out wanting to be of use in lif--will relate; and the rest of the world might understand better if they read this book.
Sara
Oct 11, 2009 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: breezy
The point of view shifts in this book are incredibly well done. I loved the movement that happened through this story, and the backstory that came through in the italicized sections. I breezed through it fairly quickly.
The portrayal of marriage as this wonderful, alienating, rocky, but persevering state was so refreshing and touching. All in all, the darkness and honesty of the story was comforting. Great book.
Daisy
Jan 04, 2008 Daisy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Beautiful! A lovely story, enchanting prose, engaging characters. There is an other-worldliness in the writing that makes the ordinary lives of the two main characters seem rather extra-ordinary and luminescent. I left this feeling as though I wanted Amity Gaige to write my life with her subtle touch for the wonder of love in light of human failings and the drabness of the world.
Lorileinart
I really wanted to like this book...but somehow I found it painful to read. It could be that I picked it up while simultaneously reading something GREAT, and kept making comparisons. Maybe like dating two guys at once...you get the picture. Anyway, I thought some of the language was pretty, and some of the ideas neatly abstract, but it wasn't enough to make me sigh.
Lindsay D
a really beautiful book that deals in surprising detail (not surprising that there can be so much detail, but that the details are surprising) with love and babies and madness. sometimes it feels a bit too poetic and forced, like some mfa student's stream of consciousness description exercise, but just go with it.
Cynthia
I started reading the first 80 pages of the manuscript and got so into it, I cancelled a date that night to continue uninterrupted! I then read the rest of the story on the computer (full disclosure: I used to work for the publisher, so I had advance access, natch). Beautiful writing, excellent character development.
Jean
Don't know how I feel about this book. Well written. It certainly made me think. The characters were believable and complex. It is just the truth and pain in the book. I have a problem with mental illnesses, they are just so painful. This felt painful at times. I am sure others will find it very good.
Alison
Very Virginia Woolf. The description on the back makes it sound like a fun little novel about a couple, but every character in the novel has layers and all the layers of all the characters ultimately intersect philosophically. Thought-provoking, satisfying--as I said, very Virginia Woolf.
Margaret
Enjoyed the story, thought the first half was better written then the second. Found the end to be a little bit of a let down after so much character development.
Erica
The writing was pretty awesome but the story was majorly lacking in my opinion, and as I tend to value a story over the writing, this receives two stars from me. It was okay.
Nina
A fictional look at the damage caused when a new, unseasoned social worker is unable to establish professional boundaries. Gaige's use of imagery and metaphor is stunning.
Michelle Young
This is one I heard about from Nancy Pearl. It sounded intriguing because it's about a social worker who is very sympathetic towards his quirky clients. So far, I like it!
Abigail
I felt like I should like this book better, but ... Even with all the accolades, it seemed overwritten to me. And, worse, I liked the characters less and less with every page.
Alicia Moore
This writer has serious potential -- sustained pages of beautiful writing. A worthwhile read,but has some plot flaws that keep it from being amazing.
Judy
A study in flawed characters and love. Very well done. A few of the monologues were overlong, I thought, but overall an interesting look inside minds.
  • On Kingdom Mountain
  • All In the Mind
  • Tell Me 30 Stories
  • Mother, Come Home
  • Lisa Scottoline: The First Two Novels: Everywhere That Mary Went and Final Appeal
  • Quicksilver
  • Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem
  • In Hovering Flight
  • What You Have Left
  • The Best American Short Stories 2000
  • City of Refuge
  • The Whole Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #1)
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • Living Single
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)
  • House and Home
  • The Tattoo Artist
  • The Dork of Cork
Amity Gaige is the author of the acclaimed novel, O My Darling, for which she was chosen by the National Book Foundation for its “5 under 35” recognition. She teaches at the University of Rhode Island’s Feinstein Providence Campus and at Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts.
More about Amity Gaige...
Schroder O My Darling We Are a Thunderstorm

“Suddenly, he wanted some credit for it. He wanted someone to thank him for not crapping on the institution of love. He wanted someone to thank him for not being yet another dilettante. He wanted someone to thank him for quitting poetry. He wanted some great poet to thank him for quitting poetry instead of desecrating it with his amateurishness. He wanted some unborn child to thank him for not conceiving her and not leaving her a hope chest full of mawkish villanelles. He wanted some sort of organization of martyrs to give him an award. He wanted to be decorated for not putting up a fuss. He wanted to be the president of forgettable people. He wanted there to be a competition for the least competitive person, and he wanted to win that competition. He wanted some sort of badge or outfit or medal or key or hat. He wanted to be asked to stand. He wanted to be considered. He wanted to be considered in earnest before being ignored. He wanted all the insane and beautiful and passionate people in the world to take one moment of silence in gratitude for the ones who had ceded them the stage-- he, the unread poet, the sacrifice, the schoolteacher-- he wanted one goddamned moment of appreciation.” 1 likes