Start by marking “What Was I Scared Of?: A Glow-in-the Dark Encounter” as Want to Read:
What Was I Scared Of?: A Glow-in-the Dark Encounter

What Was I Scared Of?: A Glow-in-the Dark Encounter

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  2,499 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Dr. Seuss in a glowing new format!

What were we waiting for? We’ve taken the classic Dr. Seuss short story What Was I Scared Of? (from The Sneetches and Other Stories), added glow-in-the-dark ink, and created the ultimate just-slightly-spooky read for slumber parties and perusal by flashlight! Perfect for Halloween, this splendidly silly story about a narrator terrorized by
Published August 11th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 22nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What Was I Scared Of?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Was I Scared Of?

Anna
Oct 15, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book TERRIFIED me to no end as a child. Well into my 20s, I remember shuddering at the illustrations of the empty pants, framed in the eerie blue of twilight, jumping off a clothesline and chasing a little boy through the woods. If ever Dr. Seuss came up in conversation I would ask a friend, "Do you remember such and such a book about the pants?" Sure enough I would meet a fellow traveler who was also terrified of this book. Who cares about the payoff, the setup is enough to strike life-lon ...more
Anne
Jan 07, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr Seuss' rhymes make Eminem look like a learner.
His humor makes Kevin hart's jokes seem just about as funny and absorbing as stale bread and watching me try to rhyme.

Uh-oh.

And No. I'm not done yet. I'm still trying to experience the wonders of his little works- something I should have experienced years ago O.o
#Tolatecomersandlatebloomers
Fred
Dec 02, 2012 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

O to think that I shall never see
A way to write like Dr. Seuss.
And even if I did,
Well, it would be completely derivative.
Ana Paula Lelis
Jun 01, 2016 Ana Paula Lelis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That's his second book I read and I'm glad I enjoyed this one, especially the message from the story.
Laura Hayes
Jul 22, 2012 Laura Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
My favorite Dr. Seuss book.
Jomanah Aloumi
Oct 22, 2014 Jomanah Aloumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I was just as strange to them as they were strange to me."

Absolutely lovely. Favourite.
La La
Dec 23, 2015 La La rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This book was stellar! It is a newer Seuss book since my son was small. It teaches that sometimes things we are afraid of are just as afraid of us. I actually bought this as a Kindle "teach me to read" app. There were several on sale because of Dr. Seuss's birthday, this app was only 99¢ (plus I received free coins towards purchasing other apps). The teaching features are marvelous. You can have it set three ways: teaching, read it myself, and auto-play.I bought ten of these Seuss apps today for ...more
Caroline Petty
Oct 25, 2010 Caroline Petty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasons-weather
This is a fun book to read around halloween time when children are excited about all of the holiday's "scary" activities. It's so silly that everyone is sure to enjoy it. It could also be used to relate to school as well. Becasue many children are afraid of the anxiety or the myths that come along with a new school year, this book could be a teacher's way of lightening the mood and the environment of the classroom in a way that makes students laugh.
Jenny
Somehow this is my first time reading this book. My kids loved that it glows in the dark. We had to interrupt our reading to turn off the lights repeatedly to see the creature and the pants and the moon glowing. Cute story ...sometimes the things we fear are nothing to fear at all...or perhaps they are just as afraid of us as we are of them.
Crystal
Aug 10, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't even heard of this story until I had my son and started reading him all the Seuss I could get my hands on. This is absolutely my favorite. It flows perfectly when read aloud and it's so creepy and funny. One of my favorite lines ever: "I said, I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them. I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them."
Kid
Feb 22, 2012 Kid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool, k-3
This has always been one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books, mostly because the idea is so bizarre yet somehow poignant -- a guy afraid of a pair of empty pale green pants. My favorite line: "I said, 'I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them.' I said and said and said those words. I said them, but I lied them."
Sergey Lenkevich
Good
But there is Little Raccoon And The Thing In The Pool by Lilian Moore
The same theme, but more interesting, clever and adequate
IMHO
Dianna
Jul 02, 2013 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
We all love this book! It's hard to beat Dr. Seuss's "pair of pale green pants with nobody inside them."
Racquel
Dec 14, 2016 Racquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Lanie
Oct 28, 2016 Lanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with little kids.
Cute! Super cute! XD seriously, You can't get much better than dr. Seuss. ;)
Haleigh Calhoun
This book is about one of Dr. Seuss's little creatures. He is walking about, heading to do an errand and he runs into an empty pair of pants. He has no idea why it is scary but he runs away from it. Every time he comes into the same area as the pants he freaks out. Eventually he runs into the pants and realizes they are just as scared as he is.
This book is cute and silly. But it can be a way of helping children deal with fear. The creature does not know why he is scared and he has never been sc
Bruce Nordstrom
Aug 08, 2015 Bruce Nordstrom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
”What Was I Scared of?” “Horton Hatches the Egg” and “Scrambled Eggs Super.”
I recently started reading a Dr. Seuss, and ended up reading three in one sitting. I tried writing 3 reviews, but they kept running together. So I writing one review and posting it in three separate places.
First of all, I guess I should qualify myself a little bit. I am one of the generation that Clarles Schultz had in mind when he wrote a “Peanuts” comic stip.
Charlie Brown: Linus, what did you think of all those forms
bookme4life
Sep 30, 2016 bookme4life rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DELIGHTFUL!

That is all.
Lindsay Bassett
In the spirit of Dr Seuss Day (AKA National Read Across America Day), I’m going to expend today’s writing energy on reviewing what I believe to be the best of all the Dr Seuss books.

Before my son was born and old enough to start talking, I had no idea pants were funny. So are the words piper and pepper. When Caleb was four years old, he loved answering the phone by yelling “PANTS!” and then laughing hysterically. I had to admit, it was funny.

Before I read What Was I Scared Of? By Dr Seuss, I had
Alicia Rotter
Feb 23, 2015 Alicia Rotter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were face to face with a pair glowing, green pants with no one inside them, I would sure be scared! As was the character in this book when he first met the glowing green pants. Dr. Seuss introduces young readers to a book where someone who says he isn't afraid of anything, meets his match.

I thought this book had a really great theme behind it; Everyone has something they are afraid of. This story shows that sometimes when you face your fears you find out that things are not as scary as the
Kathryn Cunningham
What could be scarier than walking deep in the woods in the middle of a dark night? Running smack dab into a pair of pale green pants with nobody inside 'em, that's what! And what if those pants seemed to be tailing you, nearly running you down with their bicycle as you fetched some spinach in Grin-itch, then catching you unawares while fishing for Doubt-trout on Roover River, and finally cornering you in a spooky Snide-field as you were picking your peck of Snide. Yes, a pair of pale green pant ...more
Sep 15, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a nightmare about a sweater in the lost and found, so Kevin told me to read this book about a boy terrorized by green pants.
Dylan J.
Apr 20, 2016 Dylan J. rated it liked it
Shelves: dr-seuss
The book takes the view point from a bear who seems to be the narrator as well. One day he is walking in the woods and claims that he isn’t afraid however then he stumbles upon a pair of pants that’s floating. He is frightened and runs away. Through-out the book he constantly comes into contact with the pants and he is frightened until one time he realizes the pants are afraid of him just as much as he is afraid of the pants. They then both realize that there was nothing to be afraid of. The boo ...more
Brianna Jones
Genre:Picture book

Reading Level: early to transitional

Topics and Themes:This book discusses the topic of fear. The main character keeps running into a pair of "pale green pants" throughout the story. He is scared but finds out that the pants are also afraid of him. By the end of the story they are friends and wave to each other instead of running in fear.

Curricular Use: Guided Reading or Independent reading

Social: Everyone has something they are afraid of. This story shows that sometimes when y
Valerie
Aug 12, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jack
My 2 1/2 year old son is on a Dr. Suess kick, and What Was I Scared of? Is his current favorite. I think part of the allure is the deep color of the pages with just the main character and those pale green pants popping off each page. The rhyming in Suess books is sure to please any small child.
I noticed quite a few people reviewed this book as having scared them as a child. I had never read this book before - and it does not appear to have any "scare" effect on my child. He loves the story - and
Dolly
May 06, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a silly, but clever tale about irrational fear and the things that scare us. In this case, a pair of pale green pants with nobody inside them is the source of all the upset. (I'm sure most of us would at least be concerned if we were in the same situation!) The rhymes and illustrations are classic Dr. Seuss and while the story will not likely cure a child's fear, it can help validate it. Overall, it's an entertaining rhyming tale and I enjoyed listening to our oldest read it aloud to us.
Waits
Jan 28, 2008 Waits rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waits has become fascinated with his Dr. Seuss books, especially this one. A gift from his uncle Jamin, What Was I Scared of? is the tale of an encounter with "a pair of pale green pants with nobody inside them." A favorite of Jamin's and mine when we were little, it still makes me laugh out loud. I think that Waits is more attracted to the illustrations at this point. He likes to turn each page and exclaim "Oh!" at the characters' expressions. He also likes to find the moon in each picture.
Mglidewe
Aug 24, 2014 Mglidewe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my child A LOT, he is/was super scared of the dark. This book glows in the dark, and since I happen to own a black light we read it under that. It's really fun. I found a pair of pale green pants and stuffed them to make them look like the "pale green pants with no one inside them" he digs it and it really has helped with the whole being afraid of the dark business. It was such a big hit that I had to buy multiple copies, myself, the grandparents and my 2 nieces. It's in my Top 5 ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 19, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book terrified me as a child, but perhaps only because my brothers (perhaps) told me stories about pale green pants hanging out in the closet or something. And now, I think it is the most wonderful story - right up there with The Giving Tree and The Lorax.

And the pants with nobody inside them riding a bike is my favorite picture.

A true classic. I heard it for the first time probably in about 1979, have read it a thousand times at least and just read it again last night.
Kina
Oct 01, 2010 Kina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok, so this has to be my favorite Dr. Seuss book of ALL time! My sister used to check it out at the library as often as possible when she was 2-3 years old. I don't know why, she memorized the entire thing word for word after the first time and often performed it for large crowds in her little 3 year old voice. Even now, when asked, she can tell it to you without hesitation or prompts from the book! I guess I can understand why; It's a book to live our lives by!
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Little Critter: Just a Snowy Day
  • The Nose Book
  • My Mama Says There Aren't Any Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, Demons, Monsters, Fiends, Goblins or Things
  • Just Say Boo!
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Fish is Fish
  • Dictionary of Slang
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • Zen Ghosts
  • George and Martha Round and Round
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
More about Dr. Seuss...