Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day

Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day (Amanda Pig)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It is the hottest day of the summer, and poor Amanda pig is as droopy as the plants in her father’s garden. Her knees are hot, her nose is hot, even her hair ribbons are hot! How will this little pig stay cool? it is not easy, but plucky Amanda is determined to beat the heat. with four funny chapters filled with adorable illustrations, this story will have readers giggling...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Penguin Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day

midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds found just okay. A solid reading level 2 book, but no other real educational value except reading. My son was annoyed they didn't show the fort at the end of chapter 2. A fun story but nothing special.
Jade
It’s summer and it’s hot! Amanda Pig is having lots of trouble staying cool. Amanda’s mom and dad offer ideas for staying cool but nothing seems to help! The four chapters follow Amanda’s quandaries with the heat, not being allowed in the older boy’s fort, opening a lemonade stand, and her quest for a cool breeze on a sizzling night.
Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day is a good choice for parents to read with and to small children because each chapter presents a realistic tale that is relatable fo...more
Divided into four short chapters, Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day is a good choice for readers just beginning to read fluently on their own. Van Leeuwen includes a lot of repetition without straying into boredom territory all while depicting Amanda and her family's gently amusing attempts to get through one very hot day. The illustrations by Ann Schweninger, done in carbon pencil, colored pencils, and watercolor washes, provide ample assistance for decoding the text. The characters as illustra...more
Luann
This is a nice transition book for children ready for something longer than a picture book but not quite ready for a full-fledged chapter book, reminiscent of the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel. This has four stories showing different ways that Amanda Pig, along with her friends and family, deal with a very hot summer. I particularly enjoyed the story called "The Hottest Night" where Amanda and her family sit outside trying to catch a cool breeze. They use some fun comparisons to describe h...more
Mrs. Knott
Geisel Honor Award book 2006
Becca
This short little chapter book surprised me, for the better! There were multiple concepts in the story, including brother/sister getting along strategies, activities to do while bored, family time, and friendship. Amanda the pig was very creative and well behaved. This book could set a very good example to young children in grade 4 and below and would be a good start to reading chapter books. I would recommend to the 2-4 or 5 grade age, especially to those anxious to read well written, short cha...more
Michelle Couey
I have amanda at home, her name is Gwyneth .. she is so sassy!!! Love the complaining I think it has become like breathing for my 6 year old....I have to read this book to her. Yhe last time I told Gwyn to stop whining and talk in her everyday voice she wwwwwhhhhhiiiinnnneeedddddd I don't know how..I think maybe this is true:)
moms and dads are the best!! they tell cool stories to cool of their bodies and it worked..lemondae stands to make enough money for a purple bike what fun!!
Kaye
Geisel Award 2008

Chpt. 1: Amanda is hot, dad gives her a shower outside with the hose.
Chapter 2: Amanda want to play with brother's friends, won't let her. Amanda calls Lollipop to play. They have a tea party with lemonade. The boys want lemonade. They all have lemonade inside the fort.
Chapter 3; lemonade stand
Chapter 4: Everyone goes outside to sleep under the stars. Still too hot until they find "pictures" in the starry sky.

Reading Level: 1.8
Melissa Mcavoy
Age Range: 5-8
Four, short sequential and episodic chapters describe a young pig’s efforts to stay cool and have fun on the hottest day of the year. Amanda spends time beating the heat with her parents, her friends and even her brother and his not always nice friends. Repetition, patterned language and simple concepts make these pleasurable, realistic tales perfect for beginning readers.
Similar Books: Zelda and Ivy by Kvasnosky, Oliver and Amanda series by Van Leeuwen
Kaylee
A review from the 3 year old:
I liked this book because it was a hot day when we read it. I liked Lollypop's name. That is a crazy name. There was a James in my book. Corahhsgggghklpppibvfrgrgfv dvdvdfcffcdfoikitisre5ppcora
fdfdeterrrtuyuuuyiunmnjhrhjyhyj rhhhy4nbhbhgghhytythyy ytyt58u710ktjyyyuhuuyyehtygttc hjhhhhhhhhhypoydhhtgghtyytytuguhhyyr uuytyuuyuiiuiuiiij fjfdee52tjfegtetrf fgyhthhhgtyghghhyy46 3bfhjhhuhhuyuh nnjjuhggy
Morgan Davis
It is the hottest day of the year and Amanda is having lots of trouble staying cool. Her mom and dad are giving her many ideas to stay cool, but it just leads to her being hot, sticky, and drippy. In this four chapter book Amanda experiences not being allowed in the boys fort, selling lemonade since it's such a hot day, and having lots of trouble falling asleep and all she wishes for is a cool breeze.
The Reading Countess
This early reader chapter book is the tale of a pig and, you guessed it, a really hot day. Gardening is miserable, sitting around watching the boys build a fort is miserable (not the least of which is a bit sexist, if I might add), selling lemonade is miserable, even sleeping is miserable.

Perhaps it is me. But Geisel awarded books are hit and miss.
Marie
We all know what hot summers are like. Follow along with Amanda Pig and her family as they creatively try to beat the summer heat. Amanda enjoys playing in the sprinkler, sipping lemonade in her friends’ fort, setting up a lemonade stand, and spending the cool evening outside with her family.
Rachel
Amanda Pig is burning up. She tries all kinds of things to cool down—ice pops, lemonade, sitting in the shade, but nothing really works. She’s still hot at bedtime, and only Father has a plan that will cool them all down.
Janice
It's a hot day. Too hot! Amanda is sprayed by daddy, excluded by the boys, and encouraged to create a lemonade stand. Of course, Amanda and her friend drink all the lemonade before they can sell it.
Erica
Hot day. Amanda is hot and bored. Boys don't want her to play with them. Her fried comes over. They have lomonade. . . everyone plays together. Great for K-2.
Kristine Pratt
You're going to want lemonade on hand when you read this book. The themes are repetitive but the stories are cute. A nice book for summer reading.
Kelly Frio
Good book for struggling third grader I was working with. Short sentences and easy to read words
Christina
Lemonade stands and mean boys-- boring!
Crista
Feb 04, 2011 Crista marked it as to-read
Shelves: begining-readers
Theordor Seuss Geisel Award 2006 Honor
Mckinley
What to do on a very hot summer day.
Sandra
Sandra added it
Sep 12, 2014
Sam Elowitch
Sam Elowitch marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Traci
Traci added it
Aug 19, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
When I was growing up in the small town of Rutherford, New Jersey, I was always called a tomboy. That was because I loved riding bikes, climbing trees, and playing baseball with the boys in the neighborhood. When I finally came inside, I had another name: bookworm. I was seldom seen without a book in my hand. In the summertime, I would go to the library and come back with as many books as I could...more
More about Jean Van Leeuwen...
Bound for Oregon Chicken Soup Cabin on Trouble Creek Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper The Great Cheese Conspiracy