Start by marking “Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and Writing, Compact Edition” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  22 reviews

The compact version of the most popular Literature anthology continues to engage readers with its literary selections and human approach to lterature.

Presentsa rich array of diverse and exciting selections including 52 short stores, 376 poems, and 11 plays; a chapter on Latin American poetry; and nine extensive casebooks composed of five author casebooks as well as four

Published August 1st 2009 by Longman Publishing Group (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literature

Jordan
Sep 16, 2007 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in exploring Literature of all kinds
This book has great writing and poetry, but also explains how to analyze and also gives tips for writing. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in learning how to analyze writing, either someone else's or your own, or in picking up tips on how to write better take a serious look at this book. To give an idea of who is included and what info you can expect I'm going to create a list below. I'm not going to include every single writer and entry in my list of included works. I'm also goin ...more
Lauren
after 30 years, still refreshing!
Windy
I'm a bit in love with this book right now. So many of the plays or short stories I had planned on teaching next year are included, making my life so much easier. And, after all, that's what a textbook is supposed to do, right? What a novel concept!

I enjoy the variety in the literature selections, even the poetry. For example, here's what I'm getting out of parenthood thanks to this anthology:

For My Daughter
by Weldon Kees

Looking into my daughter's eyes I read
Beneath the innocence of morning fles
Robin
As a student, I enjoyed this textbook. The collection of short stories, poetry, and plays was top quality. It had valuable examples of various different types of essays. It had a lot of helpful information on academic writing. The only thing that bothered me was that some of that information was the same for writing about short stories as it was for writing about poems or plays. Instead of writing the information once, and referring back to it when necessary, they rewrote entire chapters (nearly ...more
Suzy
An excellent compilation and source for literary papers
Jessica
I bought this book for a college class.

What I can recall that I read (in the Fiction book) was Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart", and "The Masque of the Red Death". I also read: "The Things They Carried", "The Necklace", "A Rose for Emily", and "The Lottery".

I can't recall exactly what I read in the Poetry book.

In my spare time, I read from the Drama book William Shakespeare's "Othello, The Moor of Venice", "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark", and "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
Ronni
Basically this is a good book in terms of gathering a lot of "required reading" in one book. Full of stuff I've read in HS and college, plus stuff I know other ppl read in school, plus some stuff I'd never heard of that's considered critical, so that's good. The intro texts and auxiliary information, including the questions at the end of most piece,s left a lot to be desired.
Myra Khan
I actually read the 11th edition, but the covers look the same. :D It's full of interesting short stories and I thought the bits that the authors put in before each story were helpful in identifying themes/key passages. A pretty good read as far as textbooks go. :)
Erin
Sep 04, 2009 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We are on the tale end of our books that were carried across the ocean with us. This one came out of a storage box (it was required reading at Koc high school). But it has Flannery O'Connor, Jorge Luis Borges, Raymond Carver, Alice Munro, Dorris Lessing...
Elle
I read Kafka in here for the first time and Hemingway. It's an excellent grab bag text book. Great as a resource and to get your feet wet as a reader and writer. Also the entire plays of Shakespeare's Macbeth and Hamlet are in here, AWESOME!
Kate
Aug 14, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who was scared off by their high school english teachers, as was I.
Shelves: teaching-tools
since i've never actually been in a college literature class of any sort, this book is my new best friend whilst teaching my tenacious middle schoolers. the poetry comes naturally to me, but this book is saving my ass in fiction lessons.
Anna Tatelman
Good textbook with nice collection of stories and poems. Some of the questions it asks about the various texts are rather ridiculous, but it also has some pretty good ones.
Valerie
I am required to teach from this book for one of the lit classes I teach. It's not terrible, but I think there are better anthologies out there, and I'm determined to find them.
~Lyn~
This book provides information about literary theories and approach for analyzing literary work. Some reviews of famous works or authors are also included.
Alyssa Wayt
Nov 11, 2012 Alyssa Wayt marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
I think that this will be a summer read, as it is 1500 pages. But I am so excited to read it! (:
Melissa
Really enjoyed the short story section. Pretty helpful for my rusty paper writing skills.
Mark C.
Oct 21, 2011 Mark C. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reading the poetry sections for a project, and pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it.
Liz
Great selections of classic and contemporary short stories and poetry.
Christopher Brehm
Used as my college Freshman English II textbook
Melissa
reading for comp and lit and enjoying it!
Abhinav Vedhanbhatla
Abhinav Vedhanbhatla marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Maria Marcela
Maria Marcela marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Kalyanasis Halder
Kalyanasis Halder marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Cassandra Trent
Cassandra Trent marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Emma Dargue
Emma Dargue marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman
  • CUNNING PLANS: Talks By Warren Ellis
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • The Norton Anthology Of Literature By Women: The Traditions In English
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: Volumes A & B
  • Victors and Vanquished: Spanish and Nahua Views of the Conquest of Mexico
  • Gone to New York: Adventures in the City
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact Sixth Edition
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Package 2: Volumes C, D, and E
  • 9-11: September 11th 2001, Volume 2
  • Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics (First Impressions)
  • The Best American Comics 2006
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • Colonial Latin America
  • The Best American Essays 2006
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • 9-11, Vol. 1: Artists Respond
  • The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces
An Introduction to Fiction Building Without Borders: Sustainable Construction for the Global Village The Small Business Owner's Manual: Everything You Need to Know to Start Up and Run Your Business Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama A Journey of Faith:: Overcoming Generational Abuse & Sexual Addiction