Start by marking “His Father's Son” as Want to Read:
His Father's Son

His Father's Son

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Steve Nye?s quiet life takes an unexpected turn when he receives a call from his mother. His father attacked her and has been committed to an asylum. The doctor says he?s suffering from dementia. But Steve?s father seems so calm, clear-eyed, and lucid when he whispers, ?I killed her?. Is it simply symptom of his father?s delusion and madness?

If only Steve were so lucky?

Published September 1st 2009 by Signet (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about His Father's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Father's Son

The Association by Bentley LittleThe Store by Bentley LittleThe Resort by Bentley LittleThe Mailman by Bentley LittleDispatch by Bentley Little
Bentley Little's Best
12th out of 20 books — 32 voters
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
181st out of 558 books — 873 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Cato
Steve Nye's father is sent to a psychiatric ward after assaulting his mother. While Steve has never been close to either of his parents, he still feels the need to visit them and find out what's going on. The doctors think Steve's dad is losing his mind, especially when he starts saying strange things that make little sense. When Steve's dad dies, he begins to dig into his family's past and discovers that his old man has left a trail of bodies in every town they had lived in.

For its first 100 pa...more
Bridget
Steve has just received the shock of his life. His mother phones him at work, which never happens, to tell him that his father tried to kill her. Steve feels as if he's falling down a black hole. How could this happen? His parents aren't the lovey-dovey type but they don't even argue. When Steve realizes that this incident took place the day before, his conflicting emotions begin their disagreement. He can't decide if he is more angry or hurt that his mother didn't think he should have known abo...more
Tressa
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I couldn't wait to get back to it to see just how far Steve would progress in his killings.

Steve Nye is an ordinary joe working in a cubicle of a alumni company. He gets a call one day telling him that his father has tried to kill his mother. His father is in a coma, and during one of Steve's visits his father confesses that "I killed her." Join Steve on a rollercoaster ride as he delves into his father's murderous past and makes assump...more
Craig
This novel is quite a bit different from any of Little's other novels, and not just because of the departure from his penchant for one-word titles. For one thing, it's a bit more subtle than his previous works, with less over-the-top wholesale sex and gore. It's a first-person narrative, and virtually all of the characters are completely negative and unlikeable, but eventually it's revealed that that is due to the viewpoint character's problems and perceptions. Some of the plot points hinge a bi...more
Scott Nicholson
one of the bleakest, darkest Little books I've read
William M.
This latest chiller by Bentley Little is certainly in the top half of his better work, but nowhere near my favorite. It has a great premise and actually manages to pull off most of it very effectively. The steady build keeps you hooked for the entire story. It was a pleasant change to see him working completely in reality instead of his usual supernatural fare. However, I did predict the ending very early on - something I usually do not manage to do. And there were a few threads that were not qu...more
Kim Smiley
I thought this was a decent read. Steve Nye, the main character gets a phonecall at work from his mother stating that his father tried to kill her. From that moment on, Steve's world is never the same. His father is in the mental ward after having a stroke and isn't coherent for more than a few moments at a time. It is then he tells Steve, "I killed her."

Steve goes to find that his father killed his first wife, and others along the way. This book is a definite page turner that keeps you guessin...more
Megan
Margery
Not what I have come to expect from Mr. Little. Fantastic and eerie. Both adjectives I use often for his work, but more introspective was this book I stumbled on last week. It has prompted me to re-read a few of his others. I am starting with The Resort. I will be unable to re-read "Revelation," however, for it has a scene that conjured up such unnaturally vile pictures I have imagined. Woah.
Mark R.
Bentley Little's got a good reputation in the horror genre, but so far I've read this one and "The Store" and overall didn't get much out of either. In both cases, an intriguing setup is beaten to death until a wild ending steps up long after my interest is gone. In the case of "The Store," though, the ending was QUITE wild and offered some redemption for the book. In the case of "His Father's Son," the ending was fine but nothing special, and the preceding pages, like I said, wore down my inter...more
Maicie
Steve Nye gets a call that his father has been admitted to a psych ward. During a moments of clarity he tells Steve that he has killed. Steve's inquiry into his father's past leads to disturbing consequences.

Not Little's typical horror novel. Much, much better.
Polly Forns
Not being familiar with the works of Bentley Little but knowing. He wrote in the horro genre, I didn't know what to expect. Although I am not a horror fan, this book kept my attention and yes, caused a few bad dreams along the way.
Clint Heitz
Wow, this guy can write some pretty twisted stuff. I kind of saw the end coming, but I still thoroughly enjoyed each chapter.
Jenn
Not my favourite Bentley Little novel. However, I still enjoyed the large twist at the end. Well, the number of twists.
Rowan
i found this book in the hallway of my building. and that is where i put it when i finished. bleh.
Amy
Ugh...repulsing. Not to mention, a bore.
Glenda
Great book, Bentley doesn't disappoint!!
Rodney
I just love his books. What can I say?
Nathan Flamank
Little is back to his best with this well written tale of urban horror. Little is an author that can either produce exceptionally engaging stories or tales that just don't 'click'...luckily this is one of the good ones and even though I felt the ending petered out overall this is a slow-burner that ticks all the right boxes.
Taylor Yardley
Eh, as far as Little goes this is probably my least favorite. I read him for the shock factor and his no holds barred creepiness. This book read like Stephen King with just a tad more grotesqueness. Very unsupernatural for Little and it did not really hold my attention.
Jamie
Not bad , bit disjointed and frankly downright odd in places...I can't agree with uncle Stevie this guy is 'The Horror Laureate' as proclaimed on the cover blah...
Amanda
The concept starts out strong--a middle-aged man forced to face his father's mortality via murder both past and present. This plot carries the book in spite of a forgettable writing style for the first 2/3 of the book. However, at that point, the plot takes a nose-dive into typical, cliched territory that read as if it was placed in the novel for a gross-out, shock factor, rather than as a metaphor for....anything really. A disappointing ending to what could have been a memorable book.

I recommen...more
Patricia
This book is outside my usual comfort zone and I am surprised at how much I enjoyed it, particularly considering the subject matter.
Debra
Stephen King recommended author. He says: "BEST OUTRIGHT HORROR NOVELIST. Bentley Little, in a walk. Don't know Bentley Little? You're not alone. He's probably the genre's best-kept secret, but at least 10 of his novels are available in paperback; you can pick up three for the price of that flashy new hardcover you've got your eye on. The best thing about Little is that he can go from zero to surreal in 6.0 seconds. My favorites are The Store (think Wal-Mart run by SAYYY-tan) and Dispatch, in wh...more
Kailyn
A hateable story for a hateable character. It gets an extra star only for being able to keep me until the end.
Dean
This one is a bit different from Little's standard playbook in that the characters and premise are rooted in reality rather than an overarching supernatural presence frequently utilized by the author. Overall, a light and entertaining read and for those in need of a fix of Little's fantastical horror constructs he manages to sneak them in between chapters by way of a half dozen short stories that the protagonist (an aspiring writer) writes during the course of this story.
Rosalind
I really liked this book. The 1st Bentley Little book I have read and will definitely be looking into more. Grabbed my attention at the beginning and kept me interested. Very interesting to see the characters quick evolution from normal person to serial killer and how he could so easily justify it to himself. Not sure what it was that got my attention and held it so aptly, but I have to say I really enjoyed this book.
Erica
I do have to say this book could have been better. I feel like the series of events was kind of an over and over thing. It was OK, but nothing I will pick up and read again. It was kind if like "this person might know about me, I'm gonna kill them", over and over again. And I don't like the way it ended. I do have to say that odly, I keep reading it even when I knew what was going to happen next.
JohnS2165
This is the fourth Little book I've read, and it's my favorite of the four. The other three are The Walking, The Mailman and The Association (I know I need to read some more). His Father's Son is a pretty straightforward story for Little which sets it apart from the other three I have read. I was about to abandon Little, but His Father's Son was good enough to keep me on the look out for more.
Mary
I'm sorry because I love Bentley Little but this book was painful to read. I was determined to get through it though. Having said that, I must say that it ended exactly how I thought it should and that was a consolation for me. At least I finally was able to sit the book down and I actually had found the last chapter or so rather enjoyable.
  • The 13th
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • Clickers
  • Dark Mountain
  • Right to Life (Cemetery Dance Novella Series, #4)
  • The Killing Kind
  • Pressure
  • The Pines
  • Stranger
  • Live Girls
Bentley Little is an American author of numerous horror novels. He was discovered by Dean Koontz.

Little was born one month after his mother attended the world premiere of Psycho. He published his first novel, The Revelation, with St. Martin's Press in 1990. After reading it, Stephen King became a vocal fan of Little's work, and Little won the Bram Stoker Award for "Best First Novel" in 1990. He mo...more
More about Bentley Little...
The Store The Association The House The Collection The Resort