Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch: Three Times

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  6,490 ratings  ·  1,329 reviews
Three tales of supernatural love, each pivoting on a kiss that is no mere kiss, but an action with profound consequences for the kissers' souls:

Goblin Fruit
In Victorian times, goblin men had only to offer young girls sumptuous fruits to tempt them to sell their souls. But what does it take to tempt today's savvy girls?

Spicy Little Curses
A demon and the ambassador to Hell...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lips Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lips Touch

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateShiver by Maggie StiefvaterPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Best Book Cover 2009
52nd out of 315 books — 3,019 voters
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine LeavittThe Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne JonesSorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. WredeSummers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
21st out of 1,098 books — 2,808 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Jul 09, 2011 Tatiana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love fairy tales and gorgeous writing
Recommended to Tatiana by: ALA's 10 Best for 2010
As seen on The Readventurer

I am familiar with YA literature enough to know how horribly, horribly wrong a collection of short stories about kissing can go (see, for example, The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire and Kisses from Hell). Let me tell you, "Lips Touch" is not that kind of book. This book is simply magical.

Laini Taylor grabs your attention with the first lines:

There is a certain kind of girl the goblins crave. You could walk across a high school campus and point them...more
karen
i was not expecting to five-star this. i must confess - i hate the title and i hate the cover art (although i love the internal illustrations)

aren't those much better?? something about the color palette on the cover is upsetting, the covergirl looks vapid and whorish, and the title makes it seem like some teen heartthrob novel, which is it not. what it is is a sequence of three fairy tale-ish stories.

the first one is my favorite, and this one is a first-love story, so what? a frustrated girl fr...more
Lamia
This can also be seen at The Book Eater

I truly feel like anything I say couldn't do this book justice.
So, in my endeavor to describe my *cough* "feelings", I made a pie chart (I love pie charts).

This book was was amazing. Well-written. Gorgeous, gorgeous writing. Touching characters. I just... I loved it. Every story was better than the last. Enchanting, horrifying, beautiful and captivating. The way Taylor writes... Again, I don't know what to say. She pulls you into the universe she created l...more
Kat Kennedy
Oct 15, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone with the capacity for beauty and romance, pain and loss.
To those of you who haven't read this book, what are you doing right now? If your answer is anything other than "Purchasing this book and getting ready to read it" then I'm afraid that you and I might just have to come to some kind of disagreement.

There is something enchantingly, alluringly fantastic about this book. From it's beautifully written stories to the amazing drawings and the characters within. This book is like a beautiful, wild romani woman with her ankle bracelets, bare feet and twi...more
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who miss the days when authors wanted to be artists, not millionaires
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

Beautiful words, beautiful stories, beautiful characters... you know, this is just one damn beautiful book. I am in awe of it. Can you fall in love with a book? If so, I'm guilty. I don't mean to sound condescending to young adult readers (I am one) but this book simply does not deserve the readership that thought Twilight was the best book ever written.

Everything about the marketing and presentation of this book does not convey how truly wonderful it is. Firstly, though the cover illustration...more
Sparrow
Jul 31, 2011 Sparrow rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Linda
Recommended to Sparrow by: Thomas Tomato
When you want to take a story that someone else has told and make it your own, do it like this. If you want to write a story, recognize your own magic, your own style, and add it to the story you want to steal. If you want to write a story, do what Laini Taylor did, and absorb the story, wait until it has seeped into the interstitial places of your writing, and give it back to your reader. Make it beautiful and true. And the only way you can do that is by figuring out what to you is beauty and t...more
Lora
Three stories. Three girls. One thing in common: each lady has not been kissed. And their first taste of that special time when lips touch won't come without a price . . .

The wife and husband team of Laini Taylor and Jim Di Bartolo sure do make for a sumptuous collection of stories. I'd be hard-pressed to choose which is more beautiful: Taylor's writing or Di Bartolo's illustrations.

Let me give you samples of each:

"With a deep, visceral ache, she wished her true form might prove to be a sleek an...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Hubby... just put the NFL network on, he'll forget I'm alive.
Kids.... they can fend for themselves.
laundry, soaking wet in the washing machine... I'll wash it twice, no one will ever know.
Dishes.... that is what paper plates are for.

I initially read around 35 pages and knew I had something special. I planned on finishing story #1 and that was it. Like a magic spell, I picked up the book and not only finished the other stories but did not move my ass at all from my little corner on the coach. My...more
Vinaya
I read the first story in Lips Touch about two months ago. It was... interesting. The writing was great, very picturesque, but the story per se didn't meet the expectations I had set for it after reading all the rave reviews on Goodreads. So I put the book aside for a while and finally picked it up yesterday when I was sitting in my new workplace with nothing else to do. I was Blown. Away.

Reading Lips Touch is like peeling an orange. At first, you break the skin, and you can feel the soft pulp u...more
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I've been hearing lots of awesome things about Lips Touch: Three Times. And while it did not overly blow me away, it did not disappoint me either. There is something magical about the way Laini Taylor weaves her words into these three short stories. No doubt about that. Lips Touch: Three Times can best be described as a 3 course meal. Goblin Fruit can be likened to an appetizer: small and simple. It's not enough to calm your hunger, but enough to pique your interest for t...more
Trudi

Laini Taylor can string words together like pearls, her paragraphs glittering like diamonds on black velvet. She builds landscapes out of the ether and births characters of blood and solidity. When I read her I am a woman possessed -- consumed, enchanted and enthralled. I am a child, gripped by a child's wonder and insatiable hunger for stories. I am in love with this woman and her pink hair and beautiful, crazy mind (where I would live if it were only possible).

What kills me is that some of th...more
Catie
Here’s a little synopsis of my thoughts as I listened to the first story:

…Remembering that fairy tales weren’t always about feisty princesses living happily ever after….

…Remembering that half of the time what they were about is “encouraging” teenage girls to keep it in their pants OR ELSE. Boo. On second thought, I want the princesses back.

…Hoping that this is heading in a different direction….

…Damn. If that’s all this is about then why am I reading it? Sure it’s gorgeous, but I could just be re
Mariel
Sep 14, 2011 Mariel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I don't want to live like this
Recommended to Mariel by: Jareth in his tights said it would be fun
I read the horoscope. It said that you would meet a tall and handsome stranger. Avoid all yellow fruits and scarves are for nooses to hang in an ever after. Lips should be colored artificially. Don't get red lips from kissing lots of the wrong boys and blue lips from the cold. It's l-o-v-e red. Maybelline makes it. She's born with it, of course. Don't look in the mirror. You might not be drop dead gorgeous and have to go on living. No invitations to the ballet in the mail this week... I'm a libr...more
Merna
Lips Touch could have been close to 4 stars, but the last story was unfortunately a shape-shifter/ werewolf story, and my hate specifically for werewolfs made me dislike the story. I tried. But I'm incapable of erasing my deep distaste when it comes to people turning into scary dogs. I ended up skimming the last story when I failed to get into it. The other two stories were very captivating and the writing is wonderful.
I would definitely recommend Lips Touch.
Laura Lulu
What a beautiful, beautiful book. It's a collection of 3 novellas, about girls mixing with goblins, demons, fae. The writing was just so lovely, Laini Taylor has such a (did I already say "beautiful"? Sorry. I need to get out my thesaurus--hold on...) such an exquisite way with words. It was just enchanting.

Here's the first page, just to give you a little idea:

There is a certain kind of girl goblins crave. You could walk across a high school campus and point them out: not her, not her, her. The...more
Lisa O.
I've been eager to read Laini Taylor for a while now, after reading more than gushing reviews about her books here on GoodReads.
Now that I'm done I have to confess that while on the one hand she did not disappoint, on the other I didn't fall in love with this book.

I knew next to nothing about this book before starting it, only that it was a collection of three short stories and that the leit motif is kissing.
What I didn't know is that the author, in this collection, has taken various elements o...more
Jean
I only read the first of the 3 supernatural tales in this book--"Goblin Fruit." (And I apologize to those who enjoyed it!)

The mood is heavy with superstition, slaughter and blood and flesh and titillation. In case grandma's trusty knife isn't enough, the element of danger is further highlighted by several appearances of the word rape, unsubtly used, for example, when peacocks in the farmyard don't screech or caw--they scream "rape."

The story is driven by the theme of lust despite (or heightene...more
Regina
Lips Touch Three Times is a compilation of three novellas written by Laini Taylor and illustrated by her husband, Jim DiBartolo. The novellas defy a neat and easy categorization. The main female character in each book is a young adult, a young teenage girl. Each novella takes place in an urban locale but shortly in to the text there is a breakaway to an other world. The novellas are fantastical, fantasy and fairy tale based, but also rooted in the modern urban world. I think I should disclose up...more
Simeon
A beautiful book, writing and art; three modern fairy tales that culminate in a single kiss.

Liz
“This is the story of the curse and the kiss, the demon and the girl. It's a love story with dancing and death in it, and singing and souls and shadows reeled out on kite strings.”

Laini Taylor has the rare talent to create magic with simple words. Her writing captivates the reader and it doesn't let go.
While reading her works I always feel like I am reading old, long-forgotten legends or reading about parallel worlds.
Her stories are never just books. They are never a simple read. The stories...more
jade
I may not be head over heels about the stories; I may not be day dreaming about the characters - and part of it I contribute to the nature of short stories; but gorgeous writing like Laini Taylor's would get a 5 star from me on any given day. She's the polar opposites to the sea of cookie cutter YA books that have come and gone; a fresh breeze that stirs up the stale air. Her flawless and fairy tale like words make me imagine if giving her two wings, she might just fly away like Tinker Bell.

Beau...more
Erica (daydreamer)
Lips Touch: Three Times tells three short tales of three girls who find a certain magic through a kiss. These stories possess a fairytale esque feeling, with stories that are original, strange, a little dark, but with hope and beauty strung in between. Laini Taylor has quite an ability to grab the reader and pull them into her writing. I wasn’t riveted the whole time, I sometimes felt the flow or enchantment lacking a little, but I still enjoyed the stories.

The writing was done well, and was at...more
Lisa
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Lips Touch: Three Times, Laini Taylor's debut into the young adult market, is simply magical. I picked up this collection of short stories with some trepidation. I do not usually enjoy short stories, even from authors I love, but my curiosity was piqued after seeing that the book was rated highly by most of my friends. Despite my fear of ending up the one dissenter in the sea of positive reviews, I decided to take a chance. And boy am I glad I did.

The strongest aspect of...more
Kelly
I'm having a hard time reviewing Lips Touch: Three Times. Intelligent language seems to be failing me. I don't want to write a review so much as I want to jump up and down and squeal like a crazed fangirl. Lips Touch is chocolate in book form. It's dark, it's rich, it's delicious, and it's precisely to my taste.

Lips Touch is a collection of three stories; the common theme, as you might guess from the title, is the kiss. In fairy tales, a kiss is often the catalyst for transformation. Laini Taylo...more
Cory
Oct 16, 2011 Cory rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Maggie Stiefvater
Recommended to Cory by: Everyone
3.5 stars for the first story.
4.5 stars for the artwork.
4.5 stars for the typography
4.5 stars for the print design.
1.5 stars for the second story.
1.5 stars for the third story.

Bloated purple prose with little to no substance is aggravating.
Vi Vi
Eh?Eh!
I love gr. Thank you, karen and Ariel, for sifting through the mountains of books and presenting gems like this, that I would never have seen even though it's been right in front of my face - the author is a local! The copy in my local library has been autographed by the wife&husband author&illustrator team, with the note "happy kissing :)," hah.

The 3 stories made my inner teen girl sigh. I'm glad I didn't read this back then, whew!, the daydreams this would've caused. Also, I don't reme...more
Megan
The writing, imagery and artwork in Lips Touch: Three Times is superb. The beauty of this collection is that each story pulls the reader in a little more than the one before it. With each tale of a life that is changed by a kiss, author Laini Taylor reveals more complex characters and creates brilliant mythologies. Taylor’s characters are flawed, her beasts do not sparkle and there isn’t always a happily ever after. But can I mention again how lovely her story telling is?

For some time, this book...more
Bry
This is a collection of 3 short stories by Laini Taylor and is illustrated by Jim Di Bartolo. First the art. Talk about stunning. The palette is tones of blacks, grays, reds, and purples. The details are lovely, and it almost has this watercolor effect. So beautiful. The writing is a combination of stunning imagery, descriptions, and succinct dialog that kept me wishing for more stories. I found myself rereading entire sections over and over instead of reading as quickly as possible to get to th...more
Kay
Everything, from the illustrations that preceded the stories to the physical texture of the paper, worked so well in this magical bundle of a book. The stories and the writing are lyrical and haunting. Ms. Laini Taylor practices the coveted art of "showing, not telling" with unassuming grace.

The book is comprised of three stories, all very different in style and content but still work together.

Goblin Fruit
This story was the most "YA" of the bunch, and the weakest. As one reviewer mentioned, th...more
Shut Up & Read: Lips Touch, Three Times by Laini Taylor 52 48 Jun 13, 2013 08:41AM
Shut Up & Read: Lips touch: three times by Lani Taylor 24 83 Jun 03, 2013 11:09AM
Kindle vs. Real Book 1 43 Apr 21, 2012 05:19PM
  • Red Spikes
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories
  • Chime
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • Jumped
  • Preloved
  • Plain Kate
  • Guardian of the Dead
  • Fireflies
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • Shadows on the Moon
Hi there! I'm a writer of fantasy books for young people, but my books can be enjoyed by adults as well. My 'Dreamdark' books, Blackbringer (2007) and Silksinger (2009) are about faeries -- not dainty little flowery things, but warrior-faeries who battle devils. My first young adult book, Lips Touch, is a finalist for the 2009 National Book Award! It's creepy, sensual supernatural romance. . . abo...more
More about Laini Taylor...
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) Blackbringer (Dreamdark, #1)

“Kizzy wanted to be a woman who would dive off the prow of a sailboat into the sea, who would fall back in a tangle of sheets, laughing, and who could dance a tango, lazily stroke a leopard with her bare foot, freeze an enemy's blood with her eyes, make promises she couldn't possibly keep, and then shift the world to keep them. She wanted to write memoirs and autograph them at a tiny bookshop in Rome, with a line of admirers snaking down a pink-lit alley. She wanted to make love on a balcony, ruin someone, trade in esoteric knowledge, watch strangers as coolly as a cat. She wanted to be inscrutable, have a drink named after her, a love song written for her, and a handsome adventurer's small airplane, champagne-christened Kizzy, which would vanish one day in a windstorm in Arabia so that she would have to mount a rescue operation involving camels, and wear an indigo veil against the stinging sand, just like the nomads.
Kizzy wanted.”
121 likes
“There are other ways of showing someone you love them, such as fetching them out of Hell.” 96 likes