Start by marking “Avoid Us” as Want to Read:
Avoid Us
Preview

Avoid Us

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  54 reviews
An English translation of the book Forðist okkur that made such an impression when it came out. The publishing rights have since been sold to many countries and The Guardian bought the rights to the cartoons. With his pictures and stories Hugleikur succeeds in his droll and influential style in directing our gaze to many kinds of evils in human interaction, confused values ...more
196 pages
Published 2006 by JPV útgáfa (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Avoid Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avoid Us

Anthony Chavez
It's good for a few chuckles but not much else. And definitely not for the faint of heart or people who can't take sometimes twisted humor. I was expecting lots of humorous descriptions, but I only found a laugh every 10 or so pages. It did not take that long to get through, I would pick it up every few days, like a cartoon calendar, and flip through a few comics. I found about half of the pages funny but, and maybe this is because I'm not from Iceland, I didn't understand why some of these thin ...more
Caroline
Dec 30, 2008 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a very twisted sense of humor!
Hilarious with a side of feeling like a bad person for thinking it's as funny as it is. A perfectly disgusting and gut-busting collection of simple black and white comics.
Leanza
This was just some random little book that I read through in a few minutes at a library cafe, but I think it will stick with me for a long time.

It's a book made of disgusting, absurd, disturbing, and just plain sick comics and doodles (some reminded me of doodles that I used to draw on the back of my notebooks haha). Only a few really actually made me laugh, but I did enjoy reading it for the most part. Some of them I found pretty sad and even thought-provoking, but maybe I'm just thinking about
Colleen Venable
There are about six comics I can think of right off the top of my head that are interchangeable in both art style and humor to the comics in this book*. I would say one out of every four comics were amusing here, but the other three of four felt forced and too determined to be shocking. Never actually was shocked (takes a lot to phase me), but it did bore the heck out of me at points. If it wasn't bright red and staring at me every time I went to the bathroom I don't think I would have read it a ...more
Hildur
This book is very, very silly.
But silly in a good way, as long as your humour isn't too sophisticated or you tend to get easily offended.

Don't be expecting any sharp wit. I fully admit that this book is solely pee pee and poo poo jokes mixed with some cruel and dark humour.
I personally like it. I love cruel jokes.

Most of the jokes in this book really work and some of them have sunk deep enough into my head for me to quote them every now and then in every day life. 8/10.
Valerie
Hilarious but really "wrong". Great coffee table book. You can't help but laugh even though you really shouldn't!
Felonious
After reading that this book has reached cult status and that the writer is Icelandic, (where the national drink is called black death, the national dish is putrefied shark, the national literacy rate is 99.9% and the author graduated from an art academy), I was expecting this book to be filled with wickedly dark, intelligent, and well drawn cartoons.

What I got was a book with 172 pages, each page contained one “stick figure” cartoon (so much for graduating from an art academy). The humor was
Talyn
May 12, 2012 Talyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.. well, maybe Icelandics.. they're probably know why this is considered funny
2.5/5 stars

Wow. What to say about this book?

First off.. I didn't know Iceland was this messed up. Seriously. If you're that disturbed move to Norway, they have plenty of great health care and opportunities to take a break from work and get your head together.

This book is a hit-or-miss 'joke book'; either you find the completely absurd and out-of-left field 'humor' hilarious and pure genius or (like me) you just sit there looking at the badly drawn stick figures repeating aloud, "What..the f*ck?
Oliver Lines
Definitely one for those with a more twisted sense of humour. Whilst most drawings are fun and largely inoffensive, some hit on subjects that aren't necessary and just aren't funny. I also think some are lost in translation a bit. That being said, I enjoyed a good three quarters of this book and would recommend to those who can handle darker humour
Anetq
Just not funny enough. The dark humour works when there's a bit of context so there is a "story" in the drawing. Otherwise it is just family members laughing that other family members are dead, dying or earing poo. Punchlines would have been great!
Jane
Comics for people that don't get offended easily. Some I didn't get it as they seemed related to Iceland specifically and some were definitely over the top, but I thought altogether it was amusingly absurd.
Dorre
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. It probably took me 15 minutes to get through. I found about half of the pages funny but, and maybe this is because I'm not from Iceland, I didn't understand why some of these things would be considered funny. An example...four kids are jumping with their hands in the air. The caption reads "four more years." Huh? Another example...a boy staring at the ground, caption: "I wet myself." I guess I just don't get it.
Nikki
Twisted stuff! Definitely not for prudes or anyone with overly-sensitive eyes. These demented stick figures run the gamut of every conceivable human horror - incest, racism, cannibalism, matricide/patricide/infanticide, poop, Hitler, ballerina-on-ballerina violence... - and make it funny. Or, at least I think so. I guess you have to ask yourself, "Should You Be Laughing at This?"
Greg
Quite genius in the MOST inappropriate way possible. His stick-figure drawings of children killing their parents, or dildos appearing in the most inappropriate of situations are hilarious, though not ALL of them go far beyond the sheer shock value. Go to amazon and "look inside" - you have to see it to believe it.
Nikki
Definitely funny, but crude. A friend got this for me as a gag gift when we were in high school (crude humor, obviously). This isn't hilarious jokes you'll remember forever; it's crude and vulgar, in a way that makes you chuckle. Enjoyable, but not the best.
Chris
Mar 01, 2008 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yara
Fairly funny, but this book just blows by too quickly. To be fair, this is because I couldn't stop looking at the next page, but also because each page takes about ten seconds to digest. The comics are largely offensive and disgusting, but funny nonetheless.
Danica
cool idea, but the execution skews more towards tasteless -- hardly any inkling of funny at all. if this was about ten times better i would've been raring to buy a copy and hand-deliver to analuz, my partner in dead baby jokes.
Alida
Dec 27, 2007 Alida rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
it looked provocative and daring but after i reached the midway point, i realized that about 10% of the "cartoons" are actually funny. the rest are just mean and at the level of a drunk who thinks he's funny.
Suvi
This book walks a fine line between insanely funny and just plain sick. But anyone with at least a remotely dark sense of humour will find most of this book, if not all of it, hilarious.
Mintti
Nearly peed in my pants reading this - and my throat was hurting too =D probably not for everyone to read, but if you have a sick, wicked and twisted sense of humour, then you have to!!!
Jenny U
I feel like a bad person for reading this, but I can't help laughing at the author's sick, twisted humor. Don't buy it though, just read it in the store. It's a quick read.
B.Grant
The cartoons in the book can broken up into thirds. The first third are the extremely funny, the next third are the ones that make you think & the last third just fall flat.
Crystal
May 24, 2008 Crystal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes my sense of humor :)
Recommended to Crystal by: I found it randomly in B&N!
This book is full of ridiculous stick figure drawings that make me laugh hysterically...I think you need a certain sense of humor to find it funny though...possibly a sick one :)
Marie
si vous aimez l'humour noir et le politiquement incorrect, c'est pour vous!!!

NB: on améliore beaucoup son vocabulaire "slang"
Will
Fun little Icelandic coffee table book full of things that you don't want people to see you laugh at. You can find it on my coffee table :)
Maureen
This book isn't funny, it's just really, really stupid. So no, you shouldn't be laughing at this, unless you're a pre-teen boy.
Carmel
I actually love these books, like love them. They make me so happy. They are however, not for the faint-hearted!
Leigh
I was laughing the whole time I was reading this. Lol. Thanks to a very wonderful friend of mine for giving this to me.
Sarah Burke
Jan 25, 2008 Sarah Burke rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You've got to have a really dark sense of humor
Some of this is wet your pants funny. Some is heavy handed. I wouldn't let my kid read it but I enjoyed it.
Alannagabriella
It was entertaining; lots of laughs can come from this book. Not your average sick comic book. It's worse.
  • Return of the Bunny Suicides
  • Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir
  • Jetlag
  • Lust: Kinky Online Personal Ads
  • Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person: A Memoir in Comics
  • Pinocchio
  • Welcome to the Dahl House: Alienation, Incarceration, and Inebriation in the New American Rome
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • Fluffy
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • Albert and the Others
  • Simon's Cat
Full name Þórarinn Hugleikur Dagsson, Hugleikur is an Icelandic cartoonist famed for his eyebrow-raising humour. His most famous publications are the 'Us' series, consisting of Elskið okkur, Drepið okkur, Ríðið okkur, Forðist okkur, Bjargið okkur, Fylgið okkur, Fermið okkur, Kaupið okkur (Love Us, Kill Us, Fuck Us, Avoid Us, Save Us, Follow Us, Close Us and Buy Us) and the compilation 1001 okkur. ...more
More about Hugleikur Dagsson...
Is This Supposed to Be Funny? Is This Some Kind of Joke? Popular Hits Naura, pervo, naura! Nyt on vitsit vähissä