3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  2,314 ratings  ·  101 reviews
Caroline Dawson has survived a great deal. But now, the man who broke Caroline's heart years earlier has returned to settle his father's estate, only to find that Caroline has grown into a woman beyond his wildest dreams.
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published January 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (Formerly Warner Books) (first published November 1st 1984)

Saly
I really enjoyed Bittersweet Rain, the setup was really good.
When the book opens Caroline gets the news that her husband is dying of cancer and that he step-son Rink is coming home after twelve years. Slowly, we learn the truth that even though Caroline is married to Rink's father who is thirty years her senior, the one she loves is Rink, who she thinks made empty promises to her and never showed up.

Their first meeting is fiery and you can see the fire that exists between them and through flash-...more
Susan (susayq ~)
3.5 stars.

This was pretty good. Lots of drama building angst in here. Caroline met Rink (yep, his name was Rink) 12 years ago and they fell in love. There were a couple of things wrong with that though - Caroline was the town drunk's daughter and Rink came from the wealthiest family in town. Oh, and let's not forget that she was 15 while he had just graduated from college. O.o Rink's dirtbag daddy found out (secretly) and maneuvered to keep them apart. Rink moved away married to someone else. Y...more
Yona
This is the second book by Sandra Brown which I've read and i can say that i really enjoyed it. It was sexy and funny.

So if you want to read a small beautiful romance this is the right book for you.

Caroline and Rink are so different, but made for each other. They were separated for 12 years and now they meet again. From the moment of their first meeting after all these years you can see they are right for each other. Even when they are angry or hurt.

Carolines husband - Rinks father made everythi...more
Janelle
This book sure had it's steamy parts but there were some storylines that were just a smidge creepy when you look at it as a whole. The age differences in a couple scenarios and the woman with the little girl mind had to be skipped in a couple of parts as well. I like Sandra Brown so I'm not giving it a two-star rating, but I hope the next books I read aren't quite so controversial in my mind.
Jacqueline
I have the vague memory that I read this book when it first came out. It was pretty good but I was a bit uncomfortable with Rink as a 21 year old being so in love with a 15 year old. At least it turned out he didn't actually sleep with her. It was a pretty good book but the hero and heroine could have been developed a bit more fully. Liked the secondary romance too. A decent read.
Julie Barrett
Bittersweet Rain
Caroline loves Roscoe, the older man rather than the son who's her age. The step daughter is 5 years younger than her but her mind is that of a child.
Rink, the son, has always stated he'd take care of Laura Jane. She doesn't understand why he doesn't live with them.
The raising of the thoroughbreds is an industry that Roscoe loved. Others now run it for him and Laura Jane shows love interest in the manage, Steve.
She and Rink had been together in their younger days, but Rink got an...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; FEBRUARY 4, 2014
Narrator: Joyce Bean.

The Narrator: Bean was good here. She's not a favorite female narrator but that could be because the other audiobooks by her had her voice too squeaky and nasal. She was nothing like that here.

The Story: I knew Sandra Brown wrote some shorter books as Erin St Claire but never read any. I had an idea what I'd be getting and did brace myself for some dated notions of romance, relationships, etc. I was even prepared to have a hero who chain...more
Kath
Primary story not very believable - but a good secondary story, December 6, 2008
I realize that this book was originally released in the early 80's, so some of the themes were reflective of the times. One of them being a 15 year old having a relationship with a 22 year old man. Putting that aside, I still had issues with the story.

Rink (I love that name)returns 12 years after his romance with Caroline ended. Caroline is now married to Rinks very rich father and is dying. Rink is bitter about the...more
OceMei Belikova♥
tertarik begitu baik sinopsisnya. Caroline adalah kekasih Rink. Orang yang benar-benar ingin dinikahi Rink. Tapi tak pernah terjadi karna dendam ayahnya Rink yang begitu besar padanya. Caroline yang suppose to be married with Rink malah harus married dengan bokapnya. CaRoline yang semula cuma cinta ke Rink mulai meragukan Rink karna R ninggalin kota mreka tanpa say bye or sth, malah tersiar kabar Rink uda hamilin anak orang, so Caroline yg hopeless dan sejak dulu diolok-olok orang sekota karna a...more
Fhily
Terjebak dengan kenangan dua belas tahun silam bersama Caroline --yang kini menjadi ibu tirinya-- Rink Lancaster kembali ke rumahnya The Retreat. Karena ayahnya yang sedang sekarat.
Roscoe Lancaster, ayah Rink menikah dengan Caroline Dawson yang lebih mudah 30 tahun darinya. Caroline Dawson adalah gadis musim panas Rink. Yang melintas terus menerus dalam pikiran Rink bahkan sampai 12 tahun mereka terpisah.
Keduanya saling salah paham dan berpendapat bahwa mereka saling mengkhianati cinta mereka ma...more
Wenny Widy
Dua belas tahun yang lalu, Rink Lancaster --putra dari orang paling kaya di Winstonville, Roscoe Lancaster-- bertemu dengan Caroline Dawson --putri Pete Dawson, lelaki miskin pemabuk--. Mereka terlibat cinta remaja yang menggairahkan. Pada akhir musim panas tahun itu, di pinggir hutan, mereka hampir saja melakukan hal terlarang, apalagi saat itu Caroline masih di bawah umur. Namun setelah kejadian itu, Rink menghilang entah ke mana.

Caroline justru dengan begitu mengejutkan menikah dengan Roscoe...more
Stacy
Caroline grew up as the daughter of the town drunk. She was the poor girl who would never amount to anything. Rink was the significantly older, rich son of the town patriarch. He met Caroline when she was only 15 and fell in love. They hid their relationship until one day Rink decided to tell his father, regardless of the consequences.

Fast forward 12 years and you’ll find Caroline married to Roscoe, Rink’s dad. Roscoe is dying and Rink is forced to come home. Rink and Caroline are forced togethe...more
Dina Oktariani
Jadi, Caroline ini kekasih Rink. Tapi, Rink akhirnya menikah dengan perempuan lain karena perempuan ini, si Marilee hamil dan dia minta Rink yang bertanggung jawab. Dan Rink akhirnya pergi… Caroline sendiri akhirnya malah menikah dengan Roscoe, ayahnya Rink.

Setelah 12 tahun, Rink kembali. Itupun karena ayahnya sekarat. Berita barunya… Rink udah berpisah dengan istrinya karena emang ayah dari anak itu sebenernya bukan Rink. Dan setelah berpisah sekian lama, Rink & Caroline masih sama-sama ci...more
Amy (amyb2332)
I feel like this rating should really be a 2.5 stars but I went with 3 because I did look forward to listening to this every morning on my drive into work.

It took me a while to figure out that this book is really old. I knew it wasn't new but I didn't realize it was written in 1984! They kept talking about Rink (the main male character) being upset his 22-year-old sister was dating a Vietnam vet and I kept think well of course he's worried! That is double her age! But given that this takes plac...more
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Rink Lancaster adalah cinta pertama Caroline Dawson. Tapi karena campur tangan Roscoe Lancaster, ayah Rink, akhirnya cinta mereka berdua harus kandas ditengah jalan.

Bertahun-tahun kemudian, mereka dipertemukan kembali. Juga karena campur tangan Roscoe yang saat itu telah menikah dengan Caroline. Rink sendiri telah menikah dan bercerai dengan Marilee, yang memiliki seorang putri bernama Alyssa.

Mereka bertemu kembali ketika Roscoe sudah hampir sekarat namun pada saat itu justru mereka berdua tahu...more
Nurul Hikmah
saya baca ebooknya dan makasih banget buat yg udah nerjemahin, walaupun terjemahannya acak adul bikin kening saya berkerut.

Setiap manusia punya obsesi begitu juga Caroline. Obsesinya terhadap nama baik membuatnya terikat pada seorang pria tua yang sialnya adalah ayah dari kekasih masa lalunya, Rink. Saya berpikir ayah Rink adalah ayah terjahat didunia. Memakai Caroline sebagai alat untuk membalas dendam terhadap puteranya. Baca novel ini membuat saya semakin yakin pada kalimat 'jodoh pasti berte...more
Betty Melton
Great

Great

One of my all time favorite author. I drifted away from her written for a while, but after reading this book i will go back for more. I fell in love with her style with the first book i read "Fat Tuesday" and see she is just as entertaining
Linda Muranko
Good up to a point

this was a good book up to a point. It held my interest and I was curious as to what would happen next. However, once the deed was done between the two main characters it got to be very boring. It was sex sex sex. The story basically stopped at this point.
ies
untungnya novel mba SB, kalo novelnya mba DS dijamin bakalan deh.. bakalan deh di jamin kaga bakalan tu si Caro sama Rink balikan kwkwkwkw
*ditimpuk*
Darcy
For an older book this one was pretty good even with all the references that dated it, it sort of made it more fun. I did find the story pretty predictable, I knew exactly what was going to happen miles ahead of time. Sometimes that bothers me, but not with this book. I think it was because the characters were so likable. I loved how Carolyn had better manners than those she aspired to be like. I also loved Laura Jane and her sweet innocence, her story line was so sweet. I loved to hate Roscoe a...more
Karen Whooley
Caroline Dawson survived the town gossips who whispered behind her back. She survived the slow death of her husband, Roscoe Lancaster, the richest man in the county and her senior by three decades. But she feared she might not survive Rink Lancaster, her husband's son. Years before she married, when she and Rink were teens, he had introduced Caroline to her first tremulous taste of love - and then broke her heart. Now Rink is back. He says he wants to settle his father's estate. But driven by a...more
Wilson
Nice and easy romantic story with a charming ending.
Gjbates
I wasn't sure if I would like this book after reading other reviews, but I did. I thought that the early relationship between Rink and Caroline wasn't as bad as I thought it was after reading what some other people wrote. I really hated Roscoe. I thought the relationship with Steve and Laura was sweet. I think that the last three books I read have been a bad parents trifecta between this book, Led Astray also by Sandra Brown and Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood. Doesn't anyone in romance novels have...more
Sarah Schmitt
Kate
I've enjoyed a bunch of Brown's books but I'm not going to get through this one. I keep running across WTF things like "she was lovely, mysterious and obsessive" meaning the guy thinking about her is obsessed by her.

Rink is supposed to be an alpha hurt male but he's the sort that sneers and smirks so much in his pain, you want to slap him longside the head. This title is clearly older so perhaps many of the cliches were fresher when she wrote it but, eh. I'm giving up.

Stacey
I'm not really a romance book kind of person but I was out of audio books and I had read a few Sandra Brown books before so I thought "what the heck" and checked it out.
Although I wasn't disappointed, I wasn't overly entertained either. I found the love story of Rink and Caroline a little too unbelievable. And the story of Roscoe and Caroline was far fetched as well.
I did enjoy the underlying story of Rink's sister and Steve. That story line was very endearing.
Kimberly
Another outrageous story by Brown this one as crazy had to finish it! A poor town girl marries a wealthy father of the man she really loves. The story is like four soap operas rolling out at once meanwhile its all one big drama you can't put down. Lots of sexual tension and stupid misunderstandings with an interesting twist with a mentally challenged sister who marries a the handicap war veteran who takes care of the family horses-watch out All My Children!
comfort
Whilst I really liked the story, it was pretty predictable when Rink comes back into town.
Speaking of Rink- I hated that name and when Carolyn was calling his name in the throes of lovemaking was almost laughable. I don't know maybe it IS a Southern name.

I liked the backstory of the little sister and her boyfriend- that could maybe have been expanded.

Not one of my favorite SB books but quite readable all the same.
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Firebird
  • Tempted
  • Beloved (Long, Tall Texans, #19)
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • First Comes Love
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • An Inheritance of Shame (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #4)
  • Forget Me Not (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #72)
  • Sarah's Child (Spencer-Nyle Co, #1)
  • Ready For Marriage
  • Lethal Seduction
  • This Magic Moment
  • The Sunday List of Dreams
  • Facets

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), SMOKE SCREEN (2008), PLAY DIRTY (2007), RICOCHET (2006), CHILL FACTOR (2005), WHITE HOT (2004),...more
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Ricochet Chill Factor Envy