Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)

Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely #5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  22,697 ratings  ·  1,401 reviews
Send the messengers for the Faery Courts. This is the end.

The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey.

Aislinn tends to the Summer Court, searching for her absent king and yearning for Seth. Torn between his new queen and his old love, Keenan works from afar to str...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 327 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkest Mercy

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
5th out of 638 books — 4,235 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
13th out of 1,275 books — 6,767 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
These books have the most beautiful names, where does she get them?
Wendy Darling
So after 5 books, hundreds of pages, and many years...it all comes down to an ultimatum. If Keenan had just issued one in Wicked Lovely, it would've saved a lot of time.
Arlene
Undoubtedly 5 Stars!!

When I told you I wanted to try, I spoke the truth. When I turned away, it was for my former court, and when I tried to make another faery love me, it was for that court. I’ve lived my whole life trying to bring the Summer Court back to the strength it once was. In all those years, in centuries, I’ve only wished myself free of duty because of one reason. You…

Darkest Mercy was the perfect series finale for Wicked Lovely. I am gushing right now because I loved this book… TO.PI...more
Vicki Keire
On the day I received my copy of Darkest Mercy, I was late. I'd just driven five and a half hours through one of the poorest regions in the United States after teaching most of the day on very little sleep. It was hot. I was frightened; I had never seen the kind of poverty I'd just driven through, solo, to get to a book signing in Jackson, Mississippi. I slid into a metal folding chair next to a man who looked at me funny. I didn't blame him. I had no idea what was going on and I probably needed...more
kari
Mar 02, 2011 kari rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, ya
So. I've made it to the end of the story and I'm left with the feeling that Marr has a better story in her head that what actually appears on the page. While she might know what she means, she hasn't expressed it particularly well.
Here's what I think: If you're going to continue to refer to a character's backstory, then at some point you have to tell me that backstory or the current story has no foundation. Also, if you're going to ramp off on these tangents(Devlin/Ani/Rae) they need to actuall...more
Vi Vi
Not sure if I can review this book fully right now. It was good. Not great, wasn't expecting much more though on account of my familiarity with Marr's writing style. Some great moments, some annoying as hell moments, and then the conflict was over and the book kind of ended, and I don't have a PROBLEM with how it ended (it was very well crafted in a full circle kind of way), but I just couldn't really bring myself to feel anything for anyone. Okay, spoilers:

(view spoiler)...more
Crystal
WOW just wow! I know some authors don’t mind killing off certain characters but I have to say that Marr is fearless. I have been eagerly waiting for this last installment to Marr’s Lovely series and I am so so happy with the way things ended. The ride throughout this book is griping and painful but very necessary. The story takes off where the last ended, with War gaining strength and the other courts trying to find the strength to fight her. All hell breaks loose among the courts with all the d...more
Lora
Mar 28, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Shelves: lib-read
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars.

All of the Faerie courts are in peril and both Keenan and Seth are missing. Devoid of the experience and advantages of the other faery monarchs, Aislinn is doing her best to rule and prepare for the impending War being incited by the malevolent Bananach. But without the Summer King and her newly turned faery lover at her side, how will she protect her already weakened court from destruction?

Apparently I'd forgotten exactly how much I enjoy Melissa Marr's writing. She has...more
Danny
Darkest Mercy was brilliant. I'm in awe! I have no other words to describe it other than it had everything you ever wished for an ending of a series! It was enthralling, full of emotions, it has characters that will surprise you and you will shed tears, but in the end you will close the book and have closure. It has the perfect balance between light and dark. I thank Mrs Marr from the bottom of my heart for this final piece of awesomeness!

Ever since I started Wicked Lovely I was fascinated with...more
Heather
It’s fair to say that I had high expectations for this final installment. Over the course of four books and two short stories, I had become emotionally invested in the outcome of this series. Marr has created a fantastical world with extraordinary scope and creativity that I reveled in with zeal that could rival the Summer Court. I would lose myself in the writing, which I found sparse and yet poetic. And her characters, what can I say of these captivating characters? They made me feel! I’d read...more
Terri
Darkest Mercy is the fifth and final book in Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely series.
Each Wicked Lovely book tells it’s own story, and Darkest Mercy is the perfect conclusion.

Each book is a story revolving around four faery courts: Winter, Summer, Dark, and High. The Winter and Summer Courts are the embodiment of their seasons, the Dark Court is surrounded by emotion, and the High Court is bound to provide order. Order and Discord take form in the High Queen, Sorcha, and her sister Bananach. But, Ba...more
Aine
Oh. My. Goddess!

This book was amazing. I was able to read a borrowed copy the other day. It arrived in my mailbox Thursday, and I was up til 1:30 AM reading it. I could NOT put it down.

This is one of my favorite series, so when I got the book I hugged it close for a while, and then ate dinner while looking at it longingly, and then I dove into the prologue.

When it comes to series that I love so much and have such high expectations of, I'm always a bit nervous to read it. Will it live up to my e...more
Jen
Brace yourself. This one's gonna be a doozy. And it's gonna be mostly serious, because I am so ridiculously astounded and in love with the end of this series. I don't quite know what Melissa Marr's opinion of the tale of Humpty Dumpty may be, but she seems to be quite efficient in providing the push for that "great fall." The king's horses and the king's men stand absolutely NO CHANCE of quickly putting me back together again after this one.

Ms. Marr is, if nothing else, a weaver of beautiful we...more
Bianca
Jun 04, 2010 Bianca marked it as to-read
All I have to say is Keenan and Ash better end up together
Angie
Feb 14, 2011 Angie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I have my sneaky friend Alicia to thank for slipping me her ARC of DARKEST MERCY--the final installment in Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series featuring the many wily courts of faerie. I've been looking forward to some desperately needed closure on this series for awhile now. I still remember running across Wicked Lovely what seems like so long ago and loving it. I fell even more in love with the darker Ink Exchange, which cemented my fascination with and unhealthy substantial interest in His Ub...more
Courtney Moulton
Easily the best Wicked Lovely book and absolutely beautiful finale. I need to curl up in a ball and absorb for a few hours...
Callista
Jenna
FINALLY I’M DONE WITH THIS SERIES! I forced myself to finish this book despite my not liking of the pairing. It was a good book though, can’t say that it’s bad because it was also good. just an OKAY for me though. BUT i’m so happy I’m done! it’s like one obligation crashed out from my list! haha.

What can I say about the book? Well, it sure was full of MERCY. There was the usual conflicts and resolved. Bananach finally destroyed, and all the fae courts are in unity. With happy ending for both Aislinn&Seth,...more
Steph Sinclair

Darkest Mercy was pretty much everything I thought it would be. Melissa Marr tied up all the loose ends from the previous novels in the series.

I wasn't super thrilled to read this book because, as usual, Melissa Marr's writing style tends to throw me for a loop initially. But I quickly became enthralled in the story. I was excited to see that most of the book was full of startling revelations from all of our characters. It was definitely enough to keep me turning pages.

In the final Wicked Love...more
May
I won this book for free in a first-reads giveaway.

I was so absolutely thrilled when this arrived in the mail! I swear, I danced around the house for half an hour. It took me forever to read, mostly because life was busy, but it was fantastic. And amazing.

Every book in the series is a little bittersweet. There are things lost, but things won. In Darkest Mercy, the things won over-balance the things lost, I think. It was stunning, and while I'm sad it's over, at the same time I'm thrilled!

~~~W...more
Dinjolina
I gave it 3 stars because I was loyal to these series for so long.
This book was just so wrong...
So many people connected it in there pre-release rew.-s to the final instalment of HP...well it was nothing like it.
It was so far from a good and climatic last book i wanted to weep.
And yes the parings.Trough the reading i had so many 'i hate this book' moments because of the parings.
No,I was not a team Keenan or Seth.
But for me Ash was the heart of these series.She just was.
Her struggles were my own...more
Pamela
I was so shocked when I found out that the Wicked Lovely series is the first series I’ve finished in three months. This was supposed to make me sad and all that but all it made me feel was relieved.

Anyway, I read somewhere that something was going to happen at the beginning of the book so I was shocked when I found out that this specific event happened passed page 100. That was the beginning? What do you call the previous hundred pages, the prologue? And speaking of the real beginning, I was ete...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
Mar 06, 2011 Kristi-The Book Faery rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one who loves the FEY! Wicked Lovely followers, Melissa Marr lovers, YA-PNR fans
I have followed the Wicked Lovely series since its inception and I have loved every single word. I cried at the last page because I knew that I would no longer hear from my deliciously exciting friends in their deliciously exciting world that Melissa has created so wondrously and so wickedly :o]

Darkest Mercy held some surprises but not as many as I would have suspected and I thank Melissa for that; there is the loss of one character that I absolutely adored, starting in The Ink Exchange & Ra...more
Kristi
Darkest Mercy was more than a just satisfying ending to an unforgettable series.... it was brilliant. Epic even. I shall miss it.

Let me just get this out of the way right now. That whole thing with Keenan... how painfully obvious was that! I mean seriously.... did you give yourself the duh slap with that one, or what!?!? And for those of you that haven't read it yet, that won't probably mean anything, sorry about that.

I love this story and I love the characters. I'm going to miss them so much! U...more
Milly
I found Darkest Mercy pretty satisfactory as how it all ended in this series. I appreciate that Melissa Marr made a great effort to include all and tie all loose ends in each of their stories: Aislinn and Seth of the Summer Court, Keenan and Donia of the Winter court, Niall/Irial and Leslie in the Dark Court and finally Bananach. However, I feel that the way their stories were resolved was rushed as it was only in the last chapter that these all took place, summing up the stories of Aislinn/Seth...more
Maggie
Wow.

PURE SATISFACTION.

After I finished reading this book, I literally breathed out a satisfied sigh then stared up at the ceiling for a while with a giant smile on my face. Then I clutched the book to my chest.

I can honestly say this is one of the most balanced, satisfying and true-to-the-series endings I've ever read. The way everything comes together and comes full circle is simply brilliant.

Melissa Marr has done it again. There are stunning revelations, heart-stopping twists and surprises, g...more
Emily
The Wicked Lovely series has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I devoured the first three in a week and eagerly awaited Radiant Shadows (very disappointed with that one... but I try to forget about it). I held off reading DM because I was worried that, due to the books getting progressively less awesome, this one could be a dud. How wrong I was! It was so utterly readable - if that makes any sense at all. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about Marr's writing but I think she did a damn fin...more
Sam
Well, a little bit of a let down >.< I thought it would be much better. I don't like the fact that Keenan went back to Donia. Grrrr. I do like Seth it's just that I wish Ash could have both. I hate to see Keenan with someone eles when he tried so hard with Ash - I really love him to bits.
Jean
I liked the ending,
I just wished that the author did not have to kill off so many of her characters..

Lacey Weatherford
would say I've been a fairly good fan of this series since I started reading it. Some books I adored, others not so much, but I never fell out of love with the story, and I was anxiously awaiting the release of this book. Sadly, while I got it right when it released, I was too busy to read it and so it has patiently sat on my shelf waiting for me until now.

The book started right in the middle of a desperate situation that pulled at the heart strings slightly, capturing the reader in the story....more
So about Irial... 17 137 Apr 24, 2013 08:19AM
Too perfect? 8 93 Mar 13, 2013 02:54AM
Where were Annie and Devlin? 2 31 Oct 07, 2012 06:13PM
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • Illusions (Wings, #3)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • The Enchanted Quest (Faerie Path, #5)
  • So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Afterlife (Evernight, #4)
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • Lost in Time (Blue Bloods, #6)
  • Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Betrayal  (Immortal #2)
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or...more
More about Melissa Marr...
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4) Graveminder

“Chase away sorrow by living” 146 likes
“If you get killed. I'm going to be furious."
"I love you too. Come On.”
106 likes