Start by marking “Uncle Andy's Cats” as Want to Read:
Uncle Andy's Cats

Uncle Andy's Cats

It all started with a little blue cat named Hester. Then along came Sam, and it was love at first sight -- and lots of little Sams! While the cats are perfectly happy stampeding through Uncle Andy's art studio and frolicking among his soup boxes, the humans know things have to change. So Uncle Andy devises a brilliant plan to make his cats famous -- and easier to find home ...more
Published July 9th 2009 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Andy's Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Andy's Cats

Greta is Erikasbuddy
This is a cute book told and illustrated by Andy Warhol's nephew.

Andy Warhol and his mother once had one cat.
Then they had 2 cats.
And soon they had a lot more because Sam and Hester had babies and more babies.

They had to do something.

I hope what they did is true because it's darling.

Andy and his Mom painted portraits of all the kittens/cats named Sam (because they looked like their Dad).

Andy put his paintings into the book "25 Cats Name Sam and One Blue Pussy"
And Andy's Mom put her's into the bo
Lynn
Mar 22, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Picked up this lovely, funny children's book at the Andy Warhol museum and I'm so glad I did! Not only is it a great little story on its own, but also there are little cameos of Andy Warhol's works scattered throughout, AND there's a wonderful seek and find element. Can you find the bold little mice in every illustration? You've got to be a bold mouse to live in a household with a famous artist and 26 cats (25 of whom are named Sam). Highly recommended for kids and adult art-lovers alike, for bo ...more
Arlen
I too am grateful to the NPR review for introducing me to the work of Mr. Warhola. How can you beat a title like Andy's "25 Cats Named Sam and One Blue Pussy"? De-mystifying celebrity for young people is, perhaps, truly noble work.
Jenn Adams
This was a weird one... I have mixed feelings about it because I liked the idea but it was confusing when I went into it. If I weren't an adult who is already familiar with him, I wouldn't have any idea that the uncle is famous artist Andy Warhol. But maybe that's because there's another Uncle Andy book that precedes this one. I think it's definitely a cool book, but my experience with it wasn't ideal.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 23, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
It's time for another confession. Sometimes I read pictures books just for the fun of it. Uncle Andy's Cats by James Warhola is one of those books that I saw on display at the library and just had to read it.

The author and title grabbed my attention along with the thought, "as in Andy Warhol?" Yes, as in the artist, Andy Warhol. Uncle Andy's Cats is a sequel to Uncle Andy, a book I didn't happen to see at the library. This book focuses on the large colony of cats that lived at his "factory."

From
Cheryl
Sep 27, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this book after I heard it favorably reviewed on NPR. Written by Andy Warhol's nephew, this is the true story of his Uncle Andy's prolific cats Hester and Sam. Although the illustrations incorporate a great deal of Warhol's art, the text focuses exclusively on the antics of his cats and their multiple litters of kittens. In the end Andy Warhol and his mother come up with an ingenious plan to find new homes for the numerous offspring of Hester and Sam. The illustrations are immen ...more
Claudia
Uncle Andy...you may know him as Andy Warhol! James Warhola is the nephew of the famous pop-art legend...and his view of Uncle Andy, Bubba (Andy's mother) and Uncle Andy's cats, Hester and Sam....and all the other Sams...is a glimpse into the life of an enigma.

Warhola's illustrations are both an homage to Warhol's work and a sly joke...

The story of Hester and her 'friend' Sam is told in a child's voice. And all the Sam kittens are little miracles, as they would be for children. But too much is
Sherry
Sep 12, 2011 Sherry rated it liked it
Cute and entertaining story about an artist, his mother, and their love of cats. First they are given a cat, then adopt another one. Soon, they have a litter of 13, and keep all! Later, another litter of 12 arrives, and the New York brownstone is overrun! They named all of the kittens Sam, after the father cat. A true story, famous artist Andy Warhol and his mother each make their own illustrated book about the cats, which brings people in droves to adopt the excess cats.
Booklegger, grades K/2.
Lidia
Apr 14, 2012 Lidia rated it liked it
My grandaughter and I read this book together at a bookfair yesterday and we really liked it! I loved the illustrations in this book. There was lots to see on every page. The story was well put together, and the characters were cute. Uncle Andy of course is an a famous artist and James Warhola is his nephew who is telling about his experiences during visits and mostly about Uncle Andy's Cats. It was a very good and delightful read!
Karen Dransfield
Jan 12, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A delightful story by the nephew of Andy Warhol. It's about a true story of Andy and his mum getting a cat, and then a second cat, and the kittens that came from these 2 lovely cats, who mostly ended up being called Sam. And the true story inspired 2 more books. Andy Warhol wrote one and his mum wrote another. They are mentioned in this book, and there are bits and pieces of Andy's artwork throughout the pages. Lovely!
Sara Jones
Apr 03, 2010 Sara Jones rated it liked it
The fact that this was written by Andy Warhol's nephew and the subsequent little peeks into the artist's life made this book more interesting to me than it probably would have been otherwise. I really like the illustrations and it is fun to search for the mouse hidden in each one. I found the story to be rather lacking, though. And disturbing, quite honestly... nothing turns me off like a house full of cats. This series would be a great intro to the artist, if nothing else.
Kathryn Joyce
Jan 11, 2012 Kathryn Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: promblem-solving, art
In this charming book based on Andy Warhol, his cat keeps having kittens after kittens. They are faced with a problem on what to do with all these cats. By brainstorming, they write a book about how wonderful these cats are and become willing to sell the cats to people who are interested.

The book explores different times of Andy Warhol's art work as well. I would reccommend using this alongside an art history lesson on Andy Warhol.

Shauna
Sep 16, 2009 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great fun! Loved it. As in his previous children's book, "A Faabbbulous Visit with Uncle Andy," Warhola fondly remembers visits to pop-artist Andy Warhol's house on vacations as a child. In this book, the cats (Hester and 25 Sams) take center stage, while the art and the people clutter the background of the wonderfully whimsical drawings. What's not to enjoy? If I had been in New York at the time, I would have gone by for a kitten myself...
Jo
Mar 04, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it
A fun and entertaining read about Andy Warhol's cats, Sam and Hester, written by his nephew. Charming illustrations! It was fun trying to find the mouse that's hiding on each page. Great for introducing children to the world of art since Andy's work is featured quite prominently throughout the story.
Alyson
Oct 02, 2009 Alyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great continuation from Uncle Andy's A Faabbbulous Visit With Andy Warhol. I love the cat with the wig on the cover.
Elizabeth
Nov 07, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this entertaining book about Andy Warhol and his cats. I especially like that it is written by his nephew and that it introduces the subject of art for the very young. After reading this book, the kids and I went right to the computer and googled images of Any Warhol's art. Cheers.
Erin
Sep 16, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Another installment in the memories of Andy Warhol books by his nephew. It's nicely illustrated and a nice story, but I confess I got bogged down by the fact that there was no discussion of neutering all those cats! I know it's a kids book but animal populations are out of control...
Christine Turner
Jan 11, 2010 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: cat
Twenty-five cats named Sam have the run of Uncle Andy's (artist Andy Warhol) New York City townhouse. www.hcpl.net
Jim
Sep 02, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
somehow i'd never noticed that the great sci-fi artist, James Warhola, had andy warhol's last name. the art is really nice here (as is the story) makes me appreciate warhol a bit.
Abbi Dion
Warhol was a Rusyn (as am I). My father's part of the Carpatho-Rusyn society in northeast Minneapolis. They sent me this book. That's all.
Rachel
Nov 30, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Fun tall tale. Lots of great things in the pictures. Some of the text asides don't really fit in the illustrations
Tracy
Jun 08, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
So, I added this by mistake, but it turns out we own it! I like this story also because it gives a little insight into the private life of Andy Warhol, he had a bunch of cats all named Sam.
Rachael Stein
Mar 27, 2013 Rachael Stein rated it liked it
I love the gentle, otherworldly portrait that Warhola paints of his famous Uncle Andy. He makes a perfect picture book character.
Chloecat
Jul 29, 2010 Chloecat rated it liked it
"Liked looking for all the cats (and mice) in the book!" CC.

Story was ok but it was neat to see how other art was incorporated into the book.
Nancy
Oct 23, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
was able to go online and learn more about the cats...i didn't know Warhol had so many cats and his mother left out the "d"...interesting.
Amanda
Aug 01, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Funky. The nephew of Andy Warhol writes and illustrates book about Andy Warhol and his mother's cats. Most named Sam. Cat stories are cool for me now.
Sara Lemonade
Sara Lemonade rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Chelsea Bucci
Jan 11, 2012 Chelsea Bucci rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Art history lesson- Andy Warhol.
The main characters had a problem and found a solution to fix it.
Amy
  • Ron's Big Mission
  • Action Jackson
  • Little Rabbit and the Meanest Mother on Earth
  • Henry Builds a Cabin
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • I'm Big!
  • Odd Velvet
  • Winter Brothers: A Season at the Edge of America
  • Wabi Sabi
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • Haunted House, Haunted Mouse
  • Love, Splat (Splat the Cat)
  • A Day with No Crayons
  • Henri's Scissors: with audio recording
James Warhola is an American artist who has illustrated more than two dozen children's books since 1987. Prior to that, he illustrated science fiction and fantasy paperback covers. His paintings are showcased in the permanent collection of the Warhola Museum in Medzilborce, Slovakia, a museum devoted entirely to the work of artists in his family.

A native of Smock, a coal-mining region in Fayette
More about James Warhola...