Start by marking “Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle” as Want to Read:
Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle

Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In the years and decades following the Wright Brothers' famous first flight, an obsession with aviation gripped the nation. Thousands caught the bug. In an era of innovation and invention, scores of people pursued their own personal dreams of building a flying machine, and many did so right in their own backyards.

Few stories, though, are as remarkable as that of Cromwell...more
Published May 14th 2009 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle

paula
I have an embarrassing confession to make. When I first heard about the balloon boy two weeks ago - the lad who was supposedly floating away in a homemade balloon - I assumed that the kid had made a flying machine, and he was taking it out for a test drive. I didn't think he was imperiled by anything more than official and parental disapproval, and that not 'til he came down.

I think I read too much juvenile fiction. Most kids don't build flying machines, and, as it turns out, such was not the ca...more
Tam
Jodysegal
Sep 24, 2009 Jodysegal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool-2nd grade
Cromwell Dixon was a young inventor of the early 20th Century whose true story will fascinate and inspire children. Cromwell Dixon’s Sky-Cycle offers a picture book account of Dixon’s first major invention, a bicycle and hydrogen powered airship that Dixon designed, built and flew- all at the age of fourteen. Local author Nez provides enough information to satisfy young readers and he crafts a suspenseful tale around the process of building and demonstrating the plane. Old-fashioned watercolor i...more
Matthew
What an amazing story! Cromwell Dixon is such a fascinating subject for a biography, not for being the first aviator to do anything, but for his incredible inventive spirit. This was a wonderful book and I really enjoyed every aspect of the story. The illustrations were superb and the writing was both interesting and informative. I would definitely add this to my biography collection.
Amy
What a fascinating story, and what an amazing kid Cromwell Dixon was! And what a wonderful, encouraging, supportive mother he had! A great tale about what our kids can do with love, support, and encouragement!
Floyd
A fictionalized account of the life of Cromwell Dixon, a little-know Columbus OH inventer. One of his inventions was an amazing flying machine flown in the early 1900s. Illustrations are appropriate for the story.
This book is good for inspiring students to follow their dreams no matter the obstacles that may come up. Also, this book is good for introducing a variety of vocabulary.
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2011 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Kate says: "How did I miss this book?! Based on the true story of a teenager in COLUMBUS, OH, who built a flying machine. Great for units on inventors. Grades K-5."
Beth Thames
I had never heard of this flying pioneer. After reading this book, I had to go on the Internet to find more information since this piqued my interest.
Kate Hastings
Christine
This book is great for inspiration. It shows the students what is possible with support from family and friends.
Shelly Lindsey
This book is great to inspire students that anything is possible.Great for vocabulary building.
M. Reedz
I liked how he did not give up after he had a problem. When trouble arose he dealt with it.
Airiel Owens
I like this because it talks about following your dreans!
Tina
"historical 1907, teen inventor/aviator"
Stacy268
reviewed at tweendom
John Abbott
Nov 24, 2013 John Abbott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote and illustrated this book. My favorite starred review of my book is from Mel Odom (a prize winning author). He wrote:

By Mel Odom | Thursday, October 29, 2009
Filed under: Book Reviews, Books
Tags: 1907, air race, book, boy inventor, history of flight, wright brothers
John Abbott Nez’s latest illustrated book for young readers is an obvious labor of love. The paintings are sheer splendor to look at and young fans will pore over the pages again and again. I lost myself in the images and the a...more
Deirdre
Great biographical picture book that is interestingly written and illustrated with details that truly draw the reader in.
Atta Frimpong
Atta Frimpong marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
591919
John Nez lives in Seattle and has illustrated over fifty books, as well as ghost illustrating with Mercer Mayer and Rosemary Wells. He has an English degree and studied illustration at the Parsons School of Design in New York City.
More about John Abbott Nez...
The Twelve Days of Christmas in Washington Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? (You Are the Detective) Favorite Christmas Carols Little Plumpkins Hide and Peek (Peek-A-Board Book) Mother Goose Rhymes