Start by marking “Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle” as Want to Read:
Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle

Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In the years and decades following the Wright Brothers' famous first flight, an obsession with aviation gripped the nation. Thousands caught the bug. In an era of innovation and invention, scores of people pursued their own personal dreams of building a flying machine, and many did so right in their own backyards.

Few stories, though, are as remarkable as that of Cromwell
Published May 14th 2009 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cromwell Dixon's Sky Cycle

paula
Oct 28, 2009 paula rated it really liked it
I have an embarrassing confession to make. When I first heard about the balloon boy two weeks ago - the lad who was supposedly floating away in a homemade balloon - I assumed that the kid had made a flying machine, and he was taking it out for a test drive. I didn't think he was imperiled by anything more than official and parental disapproval, and that not 'til he came down.

I think I read too much juvenile fiction. Most kids don't build flying machines, and, as it turns out, such was not the ca
Tam
Jul 19, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
Jodysegal
Sep 24, 2009 Jodysegal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool-2nd grade
Cromwell Dixon was a young inventor of the early 20th Century whose true story will fascinate and inspire children. Cromwell Dixon’s Sky-Cycle offers a picture book account of Dixon’s first major invention, a bicycle and hydrogen powered airship that Dixon designed, built and flew- all at the age of fourteen. Local author Nez provides enough information to satisfy young readers and he crafts a suspenseful tale around the process of building and demonstrating the plane. Old-fashioned watercolor i ...more
Matthew
What an amazing story! Cromwell Dixon is such a fascinating subject for a biography, not for being the first aviator to do anything, but for his incredible inventive spirit. This was a wonderful book and I really enjoyed every aspect of the story. The illustrations were superb and the writing was both interesting and informative. I would definitely add this to my biography collection.
Amy
What a fascinating story, and what an amazing kid Cromwell Dixon was! And what a wonderful, encouraging, supportive mother he had! A great tale about what our kids can do with love, support, and encouragement!
Floyd
May 30, 2009 Floyd rated it really liked it
A fictionalized account of the life of Cromwell Dixon, a little-know Columbus OH inventer. One of his inventions was an amazing flying machine flown in the early 1900s. Illustrations are appropriate for the story.
This book is good for inspiring students to follow their dreams no matter the obstacles that may come up. Also, this book is good for introducing a variety of vocabulary.
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2011 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Kate says: "How did I miss this book?! Based on the true story of a teenager in COLUMBUS, OH, who built a flying machine. Great for units on inventors. Grades K-5."
Beth Thames
Jul 25, 2009 Beth Thames rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I had never heard of this flying pioneer. After reading this book, I had to go on the Internet to find more information since this piqued my interest.
Kate Hastings
Sep 03, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
Christine
This book is great for inspiration. It shows the students what is possible with support from family and friends.
Shelly Lindsey
This book is great to inspire students that anything is possible.Great for vocabulary building.
M. Reedz
Apr 24, 2012 M. Reedz rated it liked it
I liked how he did not give up after he had a problem. When trouble arose he dealt with it.
Airiel Owens
Nov 26, 2011 Airiel Owens rated it really liked it
I like this because it talks about following your dreans!
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"historical 1907, teen inventor/aviator"
Stacy268
Nov 08, 2009 Stacy268 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
reviewed at tweendom
John Abbott
Nov 24, 2013 John Abbott rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote and illustrated this book. My favorite starred review of my book is from Mel Odom (a prize winning author). He wrote:

By Mel Odom | Thursday, October 29, 2009
Filed under: Book Reviews, Books
Tags: 1907, air race, book, boy inventor, history of flight, wright brothers
John Abbott Nez’s latest illustrated book for young readers is an obvious labor of love. The paintings are sheer splendor to look at and young fans will pore over the pages again and again. I lost myself in the images and the a
Diz
Apr 25, 2015 Diz rated it really liked it
My kids really like this true-life account of a boy from the early days of aviation who built his own flying machine. It does a good job of inspiring a sense of invention in kids. The illustrations are beautiful. The last page includes a short biography along with some photos of the real Cromwell Dixon, which are interesting to compare with the book's illustrations.
Deirdre
Sep 18, 2013 Deirdre rated it really liked it
Great biographical picture book that is interestingly written and illustrated with details that truly draw the reader in.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Wesley
Wesley added it
Mar 04, 2016
Joseph Lutholtz
Joseph Lutholtz rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Elisabeth Ellington
Elisabeth Ellington rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Carrie Bergantino
Carrie Bergantino rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Atta Frimpong
Atta Frimpong marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
591919
John Nez lives in Seattle and has illustrated over fifty books, as well as ghost illustrating with Mercer Mayer and Rosemary Wells. He has an English degree and studied illustration at the Parsons School of Design in New York City.
More about John Abbott Nez...