Cold Plague

Cold Plague

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Pristine water possessing natural healing powers is found miles under Antarctic ice by a group of scientists who stand to make billions from its sale. While people around the world line up to buy the therapeutic water, new cases of mad cow disease explode in rural France. Dr. Noah Haldane and his World Health Organization team are urgently summoned.

Noah recognizes the dead...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Tor Books (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Plague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Plague

Jodie
A little difficult to follow with so many characters and places. I even had to go back a few times to figure out who someone was and why they might be important. I am glad I stuck with it and finished reading it - but I was tempted to give up at times. Having lived in England shortly before Mad Cow disease was discovered there it has always been a threat. Not any less scary now after reading this book.
Mike Thomas
Adam
An amazing novel, similar to a Crichton novel! Constant plot and character twists, kept me capitivated to the very end! A must read if you enjoy medical and mystery novels!
Toni Osborne
This is Daniel Kalla at his best. I am a big fan of thrillers and of this author; none of his books have disappointed me. Cold Blood is fast paced, smartly written to capture ones interest and is extremely suspenseful, a real page turner.

The story starts when a group of scientists discovers a way to tap the water from pristine Lake Vostok located beneath the ice of Antarctica. We follow their research and exploit at the South Pole. Clever marketing has people worldwide lining up for a taste of t...more
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars "The purest water on earth" is deadly...

The two doctors with the World Health Organization who appeared in the novel, Pandemic, Dr. Noah Haldane and Dr. Duncan McLeod, join forces with the European Union's department of agriculture representative Elise Renard to analyze several recent cases of what appears to be a variant of Creutzfelt-Jakob Disease. When the team arrives in Limoges, France, to begin their investigation into seven mad cows, they quickly discover that this rapi...more
Samantha
Sfdreams
NOTE: I was unable to read this book!! It looks like a great plot, however, I was unable to read beyond 2 1/2 pages, plus the acknowledgements and author's note (science behind the book.) I had the book for 9 weeks from the library, and I have reached the end of my renewals, so I will finally give up.

I don't know why I was unable to read this...Daniel Kalla's writing style seems close to Robin Cook and Michael Connolly, both of whom I enjoy. I guess it could be just a case of too much other book...more
Matthew Carleton
The main character is a famous doctor who just came off saving the world from a deadly disease, and is once again called into action for a 'mad cow' case. Him and his colleagues investigate as normal but as they learn more and more they discover that this is more than a simple outbreak and their very lives may be at risk.

This was a really enjoyable, spy, medical thriller. It is very deep, features many characters and a twist and turn at every chapter end. I would recommend keeping a pen and pape...more
Sharon
I wanted to like this book much better than I did. I'm a big fan of Michael Crichton's scientific thrillers, and this one promised to be in a similar vein. Starting out with drilling into an Antarctic lake for what would theoretically be the most pure water in the world (and thus setting up an opportunity to look at the bottled water industry) and ranging through cases of bovine spongiform encephalitis ("mad cow disease") and its human equivalent (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease, or "kuru"), the scient...more
Joe
This started out really catching my attention but seem to bog down and drag to the end. Starting out with scientist finding a lake of pristine water, hidden for millions of years, untouched by pollution, and possessing natural healing powers, under miles of ice in the Antarctic. Suddenly cases of "mad cow" disease like never seen before are popping up in Europe...is there a connection? Add in kidnapping, women suddenly disappearing and GREED! from the possible billions of dollars that the so-cal...more
Bill
Interesting plot, lots of twists and changes. Unfortunately, I got lost in the number of characters, thus the four stars.
Karen B
Remember Robin Cook? I loved his works, and this novel reminds me of his writing style and story lines. I enjoyed this thriller and look forward to more Daniel Kalla.
Susan
I decided to read this title because it deals with Mad-Cow disease, like I need to feel more paranoid whenever I eat a juicy steak! I don't read adult fiction much and find it a bit boring at times. I'm a third of the way through the book and so far not much has been solved. I have not been able to tell the good guys from the bad guys for the most part. I'm hoping it won't make me want to give up beef again! I'll update this when I am finished with the book.
Carol Hubbard
If you enjoy medical mysteries like The Hot Zone you would probably enjoy this novel.

I say a clip on the news this morning about ancient water that I thought readers of this book would enjoy http://news.discovery.com/earth/ancie...
Kate
it was ok...the story line was really interesting, but it was too easy to predict what was going to happen by reading the back cover...and i was disappointed in the ending...but, i really liked the connections hat were made and the stuff talking about BSE
Amy Rogers
3 star science/medical thriller (top 50% of the genre). Set largely in France with a 5-star "minor" character, an Afro-French female detective. Mad cow disease and a possible prion epidemic in humans. A For my full review, see ScienceThrillers.com
Susie
This was a very interesting book. I love a story that goes in many directions and involves many people. That was this book. It was a quick read I do recommend it. It showed that money becomes an idol and people will go as far as they can to worship it!
Lisa Eirene
The book was convoluted and there were too many characters to keep straight...but I'm glad I hung in there and finished reading it. The ending paid off. Interesting topic, science stuff like this is cool, but at times the writing felt very juvenile.
Danna
Snack time! A good book for a lazy Sunday. Fans of the modern science thriller and armchair science nerds like me will find this story to be very predictable and not one of the finest examples of the genre, but it certainly isn't the worst.
Sandy Neal
Interesting and educational story about prions and infection set in Antarctica. Based on possibilities similar to the way Robin Cook takes something medical and possible and creates a tale of what could happen if we are not diligent.
kate
Ricardo
I would have to say this is one of Kalla's best, probably because it was suspenseful without bordering on the totally incredible (like in previous books, where one scientist saves the world, over, and over, and over again)
Trish Honey
Excellent book and well written. There is enough realism to make you believe it could happen. I have read several of his books and this is my favorite so far. Wish he wrote faster!
Michael Kerwin
Nice - if you like Robin Cook you will like this author - however he does a better job of character development than RC which makes the storyline more interesting
Melanie Cattanach
A very frightening look at what can go wrong when people believe implicitly in the merits of "natural" remedies and the corruption of the people behind them.
Rachel
Very different from the type of books I usually read... more science-based. I did not mind the change, and the plot of the book was interesting and creative.
Kelly Ann
An entertaining and quick read. Would have been great to share with my students during our "Killer Plagues" unit last year!
Gary
about people getting sick form water extracted for an under ice lake. very well written scientific thriller.
Mary
Not quiet a Michael Creighton or Robin Cook but good. Will read some of his other works.
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Isolation Ward
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Implant
  • The Last Surgeon
  • Lifelines (Angels of Mercy, #1)
  • The Demon's Parchment (Crispin Guest, #3)
  • The Delta Chain
  • Vaccine Nation
  • Schopenhauer's Telescope: A Novel
Born, raised, and still residing in Vancouver, Kalla spends his days (and sometimes nights) working as an ER Physician in an urban teaching hospital.

The idea for his first medical thriller, PANDEMIC, sprang from his clinical experience in facing the SARS crisis of 2003. He has written five science thrillers and or medical mysteries, delving into themes and topics as diverse as superbugs, drug addi...more
More about Daniel Kalla...
Pandemic The Far Side of the Sky Blood Lies Rage Therapy Resistance