Start by marking “A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)

A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies #6)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,292 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
What Jack wanted in a wife was someone rather like his sister - attractive, capable, someone he could converse with. It was essential that he make his choice before the society matrons discovered his family were no longer as poor as church-mice.
Published March 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady Of Expectations, please sign up.

Julia Mackey Can it be true the following logical conclusion?
Can it be true the following logical conclusion?
Lady Lady Augusta Cynster Marchioness of Huntly - wife of Herbert Marquess of Huntly in 1783 they have a two year old son Edward and wait for the second child. "Huntly is a good-natured man who never pretended to be able to manage Augusta. He does, however, have extremely good sense and so knows when she needs to be managed. He then summons me."
In 1816 the Marquess of Huntly takes office in Westminster. "Lady Augusta!" Minerva hurried down the main stairs, all but tripping in her haste to rescue them all. "We were expecting you yesterday and wondered what had happened." "Hubert happened, or rather Westminster called, and he was delayed, so we set out rather later than I'd wished." Augusta turned to envelop her in a warm embrace."
In the period since 1817, Herbert inherits the title of Duke of Huntington. "He waited until they had, at last, parted from his ladyship and were once more rolling towards the gates before saying," Lady Osbaldestone seems quite determined to see you well wed. "Totally unconcerned by her ladyship's grand schemes, which had even stretched as far as the Duke of Huntington, Sophie smiled gaily. "Indeed. They are all of them busy hatching schemes."
Their eldest son, Edward gets the title of Marquess of Huntly and cares for Miss Sophia Winterton, but she marries Jack Lester. In 1835, Huntingdon, big, burly gentleman was not a fool, he was a fellow campaigner Earl of Cothelstone, who organized and supervised the police.
Lady Marjorie Almsworthy - the daughter of Herbert Marquess of Huntly and Lady Augusta Cynster Marchioness of Huntly of Huntly Hall, Northamptonshire, got married Herbert, Lord Darent of Darent Hall in Northamptonshire and become Marjorie, Lady Darent («Tangled Reins»).
Marjorie, Lady Darent - wife Herbert, Lord Darent, prim, prosy and hopelessly inelegant in every way, was worse than useless.
Stephanie Laurens Kathie Wilkinson - Augusta's children are not in the family trees anymore because they are not Cynsters. Although Augusta appears in several other books - she's the Marchioness of Huntingdon - her children, Edward and Marjorie, do not.
The younger son - Lord Percy Almsworthy close friend Jack Lester and Harry Lester. "Jack gestured to Percy, hanging back on his other side." If you'll permit me to introduce Lord Percy Almsworthy? "" Pleased to make your acquaintance, Miss Winterton. "Prepared to be wary, Sophie saw at a glance that Lord Percy was sprung from a mould quite different from his companion. Reassured, she smiled and held out a hand. As he leant from the saddle to shake it, she thought she detected a look of keen appraisal in Lord Percy's mild gaze. "M ' father's Carlisle, "he said, giving her a peg on which to hang his hat. It follows that he is married to the daughter of Earl of Carlisle. Carmarthen Earl of Carlisle granduncle Reggie Carmarthen, so the title of Earl of Carlisle inherit Herbert Carmathen, Viscount Northcote, father of Reggie. This explains the close friendship with the family Carmarthen of the family Cynster.(less)
The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLeanAn Offer From a Gentleman by Julia QuinnWicked Company by Ciji WareThe Grand Sophy by Georgette HeyerHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
"Sophie"
14th out of 92 books — 4 voters
The Two Princesses Of Bamarre by Gail Carson LevineThe Tudor Wife by Emily PurdyThe Rogue's Princess by Eve EdwardsFairest by Gail Carson LevineThe Mermaid in the Basement by Gilbert Morris
Why we don't dress like that? (Part 4)
97th out of 126 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel (BAVR)
skein
Apr 12, 2011 skein rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
godawful.
shorter book:
"My fairest damsel, although we have met only five minutes ago, you possess blonde hair and blue eyes and know how to maintain a house: therefore we are in love! Let us marry!"
"Oh my rougish darling, we cannot! For you are fake-poor and I am fake-poor and at least ONE of us needs to be super-rich for this relationship to work out! And you -- you are landed gentry! You need to repair the roof on your castle and feed your bloodhounds and whatnot!"
"Fear not, gentle maiden; I h
Oct 17, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2011
This book is the vanilla ice cream of regencies; it's perfectly plain. But compared to the outlandish freakshows that pass as regency fiction these days, it was actually pretty nice to read.
Jody
Jun 16, 2015 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, ebook, gifted
Sheila Melo
Feb 01, 2015 Sheila Melo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tamer, Gentler Laurens

THE STORY: Jack Lester is in search of a bride. Recently having earned his fortune, Jack wants a bride who doesn't want him for his wealth so he hides his newfound fortune. His plan backfires when he finds the woman he wants but she thinks his lack of fortune means that that cannot hope for a future together. Sophie Winterton realizes that Jack is the perfect man for her. When she discovers, however, that he doesn't have a fortune, she realizes that despite their compatibil
Kirsten
This was one of the more interesting Laurens novels, probably due to the plot. The developing relationship between Sophie Winterton and Jack Lester is at the core of the book. Lester knows what he wants - Sophie and Sophie is under the misapprehension that Jack needs to marry well to secure his position in society and so they begin their courtship dance. A dance that continues right through until the end of the novel. There is some intrigue but not as much as she usually puts into her books. Thi ...more
Rebecca
Jun 29, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
This was a nice enough book but the whole 'I cant marry him because he needs a wife with money' just went on FOREVER driving me mad. I understand if someone had told Sophie earlier the main drama in the story would have been lost, but it was very frustrating.

And really, would my grandmother (who gave me the book) approve of the shenanigans going on after she finally accepts the proposal? :D
Lita Bouquard
Jack was a great character in the previous book in the series. He and his brother Harry were a bit wild, raucous and fun. In this book he decides to marry and becomes dull. Previously the Lester family was known to lack funds. Due to speculation, they now had a lot of money but the matrons of society don't know that yet. To avoid match making mama's Jack decides to marry for love before their wealth becomes common knowledge. He sees the perfect girl, Sophie and proceeds to woo her. The plot is w ...more
Elke
Jan 08, 2015 Elke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
Even in her early days of writing Stephanie Laurens dragged me into her wonderful world of romance and rouges, Of Debutantes and Dowagers. I cry and I laugh. I want to slap the chits with more hair than wit. Then tumble in bed with the hot and steamy men that catch my heart and warm my dreams.
I highly recommend any and all books by Stephanie Laurens.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
3 e 1/2
«E io vi posso assicurare che non desidero, né ho mai desiderato una moglie ricca. Voglio solo voi, mia bellissima, adorabile Sophie. Per tutta la vita.» Poi con un bacio le tolse il fiato.

Anche questo secondo capitolo della serie si mantiene sulla riga molto classica (e un po' superficiale) del primo ^^ Certo qui l'autrice si è impegnata un po' di più, la sensualità è leggermente meno soft (ma niente a che vedere con i romance "moderni" XD), c'è l'abbozzo di una seconda storia d'amore "
Julie
Sep 06, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story line, absolutely loved it. As Linda Howard puts it on the cover of the book "All I need is her name on the cover for me to buy the book". so true in this case also.
Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez
This is a sweet, funny read! I love Stephanie Lauren's writing style. It is lofty and closer to a regency style composition than most other romances out there.
Mandy
It was ok. The plot seemed forced. Towards the end I got really tired of reading the words golden head!
Deborah Vespo
Oct 17, 2013 Deborah Vespo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably I found a book by Stephanie Laurens that is part of a series that I haven't read! This happens to be the second in the Lester Family Saga series. Jack Lester is a very wealthy man, unbeknownst to the rest of society and something he prefers to stay that way due to the money hungry mother's who are looking to make successful catches for their daughters. Jack however knows that if he going to ever gain the requisite heir and the spare he is going to have to find himself a wife. This i ...more
Kathy
Helene Harrison
Review - I preferred Jack Lester as a hero to Jason Montgomery. He was more willing to accept love and to fight for it, which is a more human reaction. The characters were more deep and interesting to read about than in the previous book. If it's possible I think I preferred A Lady of Expectations to the last one in the Lester series, The Reasons for Marriage. I felt that the description was also more complete. I think the constraints of the time were conducive to a more traditional courtship, b ...more
Tami Greaney
Mar 16, 2016 Tami Greaney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I didn't realize until I pulled this up on Goodreads that is was part of a series- but I wouldn't have guessed. I really enjoyed it. A light Regency romance. I expected this to be more Jane Austen-y, but it a nice read anyhow. I'll have to check out the rest of the "saga". If my library copy would have had this cover I don't think I would have given it a second glance.
Tabetha Waite
This book is the epitome of a simple, Regency romance as depicted by a proper, by the book, courtship. The characters and scenes were all rather bland and neither one ever veered from their prim countenance. Once or twice I got excited, thinking that Jack would snap and pull Sophie into his arms and kiss her senseless, but alas, he always kept himself in check. Quite disappointing.
kris
May 27, 2014 kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie is blonde. Jack is too rich to function. Hijinks! Fade to orgasm loving! Happy ever afters for everyone!

Honestly: diverting. Jaded rake meets golden innocent and a bit of repetitious phrasing, but ultimately I was invested.

Also wish there were more heroes named Jack.
Alyssa
Jan 13, 2016 Alyssa marked it as meant-to-read-but-didnt  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is one my mom passed on to me. I think either I didn't read it, or I flipped through it and read bits here and there, which pretty much doesn't count as actually reading it.
Maria
Oct 15, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Up until the end, I enjoyed this book as a good Regency romance with all the trappings. The ending rolled over into another century and I could have and did skip much of it. The rest if well worth the read.
Kristen Robison
Apr 08, 2016 Kristen Robison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This writer is not my type of Regency Romance. Probably more for the Georgette Heyer crowd, but the "R" content was also a little disappointing. It wasn't needed in the book.
Angela Smith
Not as thrilling as the plots of some of her books, but perfect lazy sunny day reading if you need a bit of froth. Perfect for me as some of my latest reading had been rather heavy and I needed something a bit lighter.
Maura
Mary Partridge
Feb 12, 2016 Mary Partridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful romance from Stephanie Laurens and as romances should this book had a every happy ending, just the way I like it.
Shelly
Feb 17, 2014 Shelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Amy
Jul 14, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with most of the other reviewers that the story lacks depth (e.g. it's one "I love him but..." point is repeated a lot). However, I enjoyed this because it was decidedly lacking in a lot of the contrivances I've come across with historical romance with the stereotypical stubborn woman who does something reckless. Instead, this is more a leisurely romp in the garden with a well behaved lady. A nice change! For that, I appreciate the subtly of the storyline.
Morgan Pugh
Jack Lester . . . if London society discovers his hidden wealth, he'll never find the right wife.

Jack's heart races when he first lays eyes on Sophie. She is everything he desires and more, but he is caught in his own trap. Believing that Jack needs to marry into wealth, Sophie rejects all his advances, certain he would never marry a poor girl like her.
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Sometimes, sometimes a lady's expectation can be wrong. But there is still time when they are right. Ms. Sophie Winterton believes that Jake needs to have a wealthy wife to wed. She tries all there is to avert his attentions. Jack knows what he wants and when he walks into the ball he see her and is on a campaign to win the love of all love.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • Once a Scoundrel (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #2)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • The Gilded Web
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • Loving Lord Ash (Duchess of Love, #3)
  • How to Tame a Lady (Daughtry Family, #2)
  • The Duke and His Duchess (Windham, #0.6)
  • Dancing at Midnight (The Splendid Trilogy, #2)
  • Finessing Clarissa (The School for Manners, #4)
  • The Care & Feeding of Pirates (Regency Pirates, #3)
  • Desire's Prize
  • How to Propose to a Prince (Royle Sisters, #3)
  • A Good Rogue is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

Regencies (8 books)
  • Tangled Reins (Regencies, #1)
  • Four In Hand (Regencies, #2)
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • Fair Juno
  • The Reasons For Marriage (Regencies, #5; Lester Family, #1)
  • An Unwilling Conquest  (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)
  • A Comfortable Wife