Start by marking “Looking Forward” as Want to Read:
Looking Forward

Looking Forward

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published in March 1933 when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was first inaugurated, the classic New York Times bestseller Looking Forward delivers F.D.R.'s honest appraisal of the events that contributed to the Great Depression and mirror our own situation today. With blunt, unflinching, and clear prose Roosevelt attacks head-on the failure of the banking system and the U.S. gov ...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Touchstone (first published March 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Looking Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking Forward

Nate
Feb 10, 2013 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1930s, owned
This is the most valuable $3 clearance item I have yet stumbled upon. I engaged FDR’s Looking Forward to accompany the news coverage of Obama's re-election campaign, intriguingly marked by the slogan "Forward." (Relax, that’s the last mention of Obama in this review.)

FDR's collection of speeches and writings is no mere New Deal manifesto, hardly historically isolated. Although tariffs and railroads may not be among the foremost concerns of Americans today, I was surprised to read about a variety
Heather
Apr 18, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and it is a surprisingly quick but informative read. It is a compilation of subjects that Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote upon that focused on government and economy during the beginning of the Great Depression. This is a great read because it allows readers to get inside the head of one of our most influential presidents. They get to read what he thought in his own words.

This book is not just about the past. It is relevant today because of the deep recession that Ameri
Jackie
Nov 23, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poli-sci-soc
A great book to read especially during our time of recession. It's crazy how much he predicted. I also learned a lot about agricultural policies that I wouldn't have understood until this book.
Paul
Mar 25, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written soon after his election and during the depths of the depression, this book laid out FDR's vision for the New Deal and he remained surprisingly consistent with his stated purposes for the rest of the depression and right up until Pearl harbour.

FDR bluntly outlines what he sees as the faults that have led the United States to this cataclysm and is unafraid to flaunt old tabboos in order to get the economy moving again.

In particular, although FDR explicitly does not believe in a planned eco
Rebecca
Aug 29, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an eerily timely book. Never was the cliché, if you don’t learn from history you are doomed to repeat it, more obvious. Overall a very interesting read.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2009 Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Of course I have the original 1933 first edition, third printing, but that is not on the list.
Lorenz
Nov 16, 2010 Lorenz rated it it was amazing
i love this book so much
Daniel
Dec 22, 2010 Daniel rated it really liked it
Clear and concise treatment of what came to be called New Deal economics. Provides a nice overview of the various sectors exacerbating the Great Depression. Though there are interesting proposals for policy change, they are general at times...not very detailed overall. However, the analysis of structural weaknesses of the economy is excellent.
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Lacie
Lacie rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Leeroy
Leeroy marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
JEB
JEB added it
Mar 27, 2016
Courtney Moss
Courtney Moss marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Michelle Archer
Michelle Archer marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Taib
Taib marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Gemerson Realigue
Gemerson Realigue is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2015
Stefan
Stefan rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2015
Annagh
Annagh marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Serval Spots
Serval Spots marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Zoe Covello
Zoe Covello marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Nigel Ward
Nigel Ward marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Ian Martin
Ian Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Justmoca
Justmoca marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Erika Lohmus
Erika Lohmus marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
219075
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, often referred to by his initials FDR, was the thirty-second President of the United States. Elected to four terms in office, he served from 1933 to 1945, and is the only U.S. president to have served more than two terms of office. He was a central figure of the 20th century during a time of worldwide economic crisis and world war.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s
More about Franklin D. Roosevelt...

“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.” 88 likes
“More striking still, it appeared that, if the process of concentration goes on at the same rate, at the end of another century we shall have all American industry controlled by a dozen corporations and run by perhaps a hundred men. Put plainly, we are steering a steady course toward economic oligarchy, if we are not there already.” 11 likes