Looking Forward

Looking Forward

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published in March 1933 when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was first inaugurated, the classic New York Times bestseller Looking Forward delivers F.D.R.'s honest appraisal of the events that contributed to the Great Depression and mirror our own situation today. With blunt, unflinching, and clear prose Roosevelt attacks head-on the failure of the banking system and the U.S. gov...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Touchstone (first published March 1933)

Nate
This is the most valuable $3 clearance item I have yet stumbled upon. I engaged FDR’s Looking Forward to accompany the news coverage of Obama's re-election campaign, intriguingly marked by the slogan "Forward." (Relax, that’s the last mention of Obama in this review.)

FDR's collection of speeches and writings is no mere New Deal manifesto, hardly historically isolated. Although tariffs and railroads may not be among the foremost concerns of Americans today, I was surprised to read about a variety...more
Paul
Written soon after his election and during the depths of the depression, this book laid out FDR's vision for the New Deal and he remained surprisingly consistent with his stated purposes for the rest of the depression and right up until Pearl harbour.

FDR bluntly outlines what he sees as the faults that have led the United States to this cataclysm and is unafraid to flaunt old tabboos in order to get the economy moving again.

In particular, although FDR explicitly does not believe in a planned eco...more
Heather
I absolutely loved this book and it is a surprisingly quick but informative read. It is a compilation of subjects that Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote upon that focused on government and economy during the beginning of the Great Depression. This is a great read because it allows readers to get inside the head of one of our most influential presidents. They get to read what he thought in his own words.

This book is not just about the past. It is relevant today because of the deep recession that Ameri...more
Jackie
A great book to read especially during our time of recession. It's crazy how much he predicted. I also learned a lot about agricultural policies that I wouldn't have understood until this book.
Rebecca
This is an eerily timely book. Never was the cliché, if you don’t learn from history you are doomed to repeat it, more obvious. Overall a very interesting read.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2009 Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Of course I have the original 1933 first edition, third printing, but that is not on the list.
Lorenz
i love this book so much
Daniel
Clear and concise treatment of what came to be called New Deal economics. Provides a nice overview of the various sectors exacerbating the Great Depression. Though there are interesting proposals for policy change, they are general at times...not very detailed overall. However, the analysis of structural weaknesses of the economy is excellent.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Craig Smith
Craig Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Ivanstamboliev
Ivanstamboliev marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Edward L.
Edward L. marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Mitch
Mitch marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Kristi Farrell
Kristi Farrell marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Taylor
Taylor added it
Oct 13, 2013
Jona Hysa
Jona Hysa marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Chadwick Saxelid
Chadwick Saxelid marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
S_m
S_m is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2013
Monday
Monday marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
219075
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, often referred to by his initials FDR, was the thirty-second President of the United States. Elected to four terms in office, he served from 1933 to 1945, and is the only U.S. president to have served more than two terms of office. He was a central figure of the 20th century during a time of worldwide economic crisis and world war.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s...more
More about Franklin D. Roosevelt...
Fireside Chats Great Speeches FDR: Selected Speeches of President Franklin D. Roosevelt The Essential Franklin Delano Roosevelt The Public Papers And Addresses Of Franklin D. Roosevelt

“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.” 48 likes
“More striking still, it appeared that, if the process of concentration goes on at the same rate, at the end of another century we shall have all American industry controlled by a dozen corporations and run by perhaps a hundred men. Put plainly, we are steering a steady course toward economic oligarchy, if we are not there already.” 6 likes