Start by marking “The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider” as Want to Read:
The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider

The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The highest-energy particle accelerator ever built, the Large Hadron Collider runs under the border between France and Switzerland. It leapt into action on September 10, 2008, amid unprecedented global press coverage and widespread fears that its energy would create tiny black holes that could destroy the earth.

By smashing together particles smaller than atoms, the LHC rec
Published February 4th 2009 by Johns Hopkins University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Quantum Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quantum Frontier

Mark
This book is a very good intro to the basics of the LHC, but then changes gears in the middle of chapter 4. Here he tells you that the book is going to go into more details so general readers should just skip to the next chapter. It read to me like he had written the last half of the 4th chapter first, then was told to dumb it down for real people and just wrote around it. He really should have gone back and put some more time into that part.
Still, it has lots of interesting stuff throughout. It
Jason
This is a well written, well organized book on the Large Hadron Collider that is now operating at CERN. The five chapter titles pretty much tell you what you'll get out of the book: (1) What We Know: The Standard Model; (2) What We Guess: Theories We Want to Test; (3) How We Do It: The Large Hadron Collider; (4) How We See It: The Enormous Detectors; and (5) Where We're Going: The Big Picture, the Universe, and the Future.

It is written by a practicing physicist who writes well and uses lots of d
Todd Martin
The Quantum Frontier provides an overview of particle physics, the Large Hadron Collider and some of the discoveries that might occur.

Though the book itself is not particularly well written and presents the information rather dryly, the science behind the collider is fascinating and certainly the discoveries that it produces could provide insight into the fundamental nature of the universe including: verification of the Higgs boson (the force particle thought to be responsible for mass), insigh
Riccardo
An interesting overview on fundamentals of contemporary particle physics.
It offers an exciting assessment of the Large Haldron Collider.

The book is written in a readable style, and can be appreciated to anyone with even a vague interest in science.
Ken Rideout
Great first couple chapters - one of the best introductions to the standard model I have ever read (he kept it simple and clean with very little clutter). But then I glazed over with the details of the collider at CERN and its detection equipment. A good read for people who don't have any idea why particle physicists do the things they do.
Kelly
The first half of this book is quite approachable for a rather complex subject. But the book gets kind of long in the tooth in the second half. Still for an overview of some of what this area is about it isn't a bad read.
Cassandra Kay Silva
This book was extremely basic. If you know anything at all about particle physics you will be very bored. I think there is more pertinent time sensitive information about the "frontier of research" on the CERN website.
Shane
An okay, but somewhat dumbed down description of how the LHC works and its importance to physics.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Serkan
Serkan marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Ben Forbes
Ben Forbes marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Davo Harutyunyan
Davo Harutyunyan marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Percival
Percival marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Seeta Joseph
Seeta Joseph marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Vijay Krishna
Vijay Krishna marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Kamil
Kamil added it
Jul 29, 2014
Oren
Oren marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Piotr Mardziel
Piotr Mardziel marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Understanding the Universe: From Quarks to the Cosmos Alien Universe: Extraterrestrial Life in Our Minds and in the Cosmos The Large Hadron Collider: The Extraordinary Story of the Higgs Boson and Other Stuff That Will Blow Your Mind The Large Hadron Collider Die Weltmaschine: Der Lhc Und Der Beginn Einer Neuen Physik