Start by marking “In a Far Country” as Want to Read:
In a Far Country

In a Far Country

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the fall of 1897, eight whaling ships became trapped in the ice on Alaska's northern coast. Without relief, two hundred whalers would starve to death by winter's end. Mercifully, an extraordinary missionary, Tom Lopp, and seven Eskimo herders embarked on a harrowing journey to save the whalers, driving four hundred reindeer more than seven hundred untracked miles. At th ...more
Published November 20th 2006 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about In a Far Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Far Country

Stumbling Thru by A. Digger StolzA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Middle of Somewhere by Sonja YoergMadagascar Travels by Christina DodwellThe Travels by Marco Polo
Hiking Novels
17th out of 29 books — 31 voters
Into the Wild by Jon KrakauerA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertWild by Cheryl StrayedInto Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Ultimate Backpacking Novels
332nd out of 338 books — 898 voters

More lists with this book...

Artemis Nitzband
This man and his wife live in 1890's Alaska and experience see through the eyes of non-natives. The book is fascinating... whaling and mining industries and its impact on the natives in Alaska at that time. The Lopps, stationed in a town along the Bering Strait, are missionaries who set out to bring Christianity to the natives of Alaska but end up learning more from the natives over their 12 or so years while stationed there. In spite of the COLD conditions, lack of even the basics,lack of commu ...more
Ellen MY
I enjoy this genre and I stumbled across this really interesting and offbeat tale
Jane
Great true story of an unbelievable 1890's journey in the far north of Alaska and the heroic people that made it possible.
Bookwyrmgyrl
Great book - true story, about a missionary couple in northeast Alaska and their experiences. The main story is of herding reindeer to whalers whose ships were frozen in the ice above the arctic circle, but there is so much more to this book. The author has researched documents such as letters, journals, and newspaper articles from the time, as well as government reports.
Kathy
The "mission", "marriage" and "murder" were all quite interesting and I really enjoyed reading about Tom & Ella Lopp and their family living in one of the most frigid and remote places on earth at the end of the nineteenth century. But the reindeer rescue which--filled in the final half of the book--just went on too long and I didn't find it all that fascinating.
Shincrackerfarm
Talliaferro has done an excellent job of weaving excitement, emotions, terror, anger, frustration and romance into a carefully told documentary. Photographs are very complimentary to the story, and the background information the author has included is more than enhancing of the excitement and wonder of this epic story.
Katie
Aug 27, 2008 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Alaska
Recommended to Katie by: Cindy Dillard, Scotty's mom
This book is well written and is a true story that really helped me to gain some understanding about Alaskan history. It is amazing what the people in this book were able to accomplish in their time. Parts of the book read like a novel, and parts read like a history book, but overall it was quite interesting and enjoyable.
Jenny
This is a great story about amazing people that have been forgotten by history. I love reading books like this. I think the book is well written. As far as striking a balance between exciting adventure story and history text, the book tends towards historical scholarship, but I didn't mind that.
Diane
Very interesting history of a couple who went to Alaska as missionaries to convert the Indian tribes of Alaska. It was very enlightening and I'm glad that I didn't have to live back then. Even in the late 1890's the people expected the government to bail them out when they made stupid choices.
Chris
A wonderful narrative of adventure, commerce, faith, and devotion in Alaska at the close of the nineteenth century. I used this book for reading analysis in a graduate-level education course at Christopher Newport University.
Mom
The story of the Lopp family and their experiences in northern Alaska has much to teach us about how we handle the people we come across in our lives and the respect that we should have for other cultures.
Jerilyn
Like it very uch. Much admiration for Tom Lopp and the native Alaskans in his story. The other Americans, not so much. Corruption in business and Congress are nothing new.
Barbara
Quite an adventure. Really enjoyed the descriptions of the country and the people. Will be going to Alaska later this year and I will certainly have a "feel" for the country!
Bethann
Okay I tried to read this. But it lacked something did not finish it. I realized this is a non fiction work but the writing just didn't make the characters interesting
James
The author brilliantly evokes in the reader the mind numbing boredom of the traveling thousands of kilometers in the arctic wilderness in winter. Masterful.
Jonathan Lynn
Great untold story of the early missionaries to the great North!
Gets a little laboriously long at times.
Carla
Had trouble getting into it, couldn't finish....was trying to read it because someone else wanted me to.
Yolanda
Having a difficult time connecting emotionally so far. Must give it more of a chance.
Shawn Simmons
A very interesting tale of Alaska and reindeer.
Victoria Boyne
so far very interesting...
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Barry
Barry added it
Jan 12, 2015
Benjamin Hoak
Benjamin Hoak marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Pushtigban Guard
Pushtigban Guard marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Marleah
Marleah marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
All the Great Prizes : The Life of John Hay, from Lincoln to Roosevelt Tarzan Forever: The Life of Edgar Rice Burroughs the Creator of Tarzan Great White Fathers: The True Story of Gutzon Borglum and His Obsessive Quest to Create the Mt. Rushmore National Monument Charles M. Russell: The Life and Legend of America�s Cowboy Artist Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)