Start by marking “Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom” as Want to Read:
Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Nelson Mandela's autobiography, LONG WALK TO FREEDOM, offers a glimpse into the mind of a great leader, admired across the globe for his dedication to the struggles against apartheid in South Africa. Now the youngest readers can discover the remarkable story of Mandela's long walk from ordinary village boy, to his dynamic leadership of the African National Congress, to his ...more
Hardcover, First, 64 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Nelson Mandela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson Mandela

Kathryn
I admit that, while I've always held an admiration for Nelson Mandela and what he accomplished, it wasn't until I watched "Invictus" that I began to become more curious about the man himself. Loving picture books as I do, and often finding picture book biographies more compelling than longer "grown-up" books, I was eager to read this picture book abridgment of Mandela's autobiography "Long Walk to Freedom" Alas, I was not as interested in it, or moved by it, as I had hoped to be.

The book covers
Nicole Marzan
Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom is the abridged, picture book version of Mandela's autobiography of the same title. The picture book biography by Chris van Wyk is told from a first person perspective with Nelson Mandela being the narrator. The book begins with some background information about how the Europeans came to South Africa and fought over the land and tribes (the Xhosas, the Zulus, and the Tswanas). Nelson was born into the Thembu tribe on July 18, 1918. Nelson talks about his fath ...more
Andrea Grima
‘Long Walk to Freedom’, tells the life story of Nelson Mandela from a young boy herding sheep to the years that he fought for democracy in South Africa. We see him, his people and their fight for freedom, in the beautiful illustrations on each page.
Depending on how you choose to use the book it could be adapted for children from 7 to 11 years. I read it with 7 – 8 year olds; one boy (who had heard of Nelson Mandela) returned to it on numerous occasions, another girl related her family’s connecti
Cameron
Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom is a biography by Chris Van Wyk. Nelson Mandela was the first African president of South Africa to be freely elected by the people, as well as a life-long crusader for African rights. The book follows his life from his birth in a rural African village to his presidential appointment while highlighting key moments and trials he experienced that shaped who he was. The author writes in the first person so readers get the feeling that Mandela himself is telling t ...more
Leonie Atherton
This is a very good book. Its tells the story of Nelson Mandela's life beautifully, tastefully and suitably for children. The book successfully sums up, a very detailed life story yet still manages to capture the emotions of the people involved. I have to admit, I am much more clued up on the life of Nelson Mandela after reading this. This book would be excellent as a source during Black History Month and there are lots of activities which can be done linked to this topic. Further research into ...more
Kjsmit11
I loved this book! Personally, I typically do not read non-fiction stories but i truly enjoyed this. Nelson Mandela recently passed away to it was interesting to read about all the wonderful things he accomplished in his life in South Africa. This complex picture book is a biography but it is written as if Nelson Mandela is speaking to the reader. For children, I think this book may be a little too long to read in one setting. I would recommend reading it as a read aloud and splitting it up betw ...more
Christian Sam
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela himself is a great book for children, and just go to show the kind of man Nelson was, that he wrote his own book that children could read as well about his path to freedom.

It talks about his upbringing in his early childhood and his struggles growing up. Mandela was used to going through hardships in his life, which all made him the strong man he was. He takes us through his loss of his father and his divorce.

There are large detailed illustrations that go w
Shelli
This abridged picture book version of Nelson Mandela’s biography The Long Walk to Freedom, is perfect for elementary and middle school students to get to know this remarkable man who never gave up hope of freedom and the cessation of apartheid in South Africa. Educators wishing to share this with a class may need to break it up into two sessions due to its length, which is a bit longer than a typical picture book biography.
Earl
Another picture book I decided to read since I didn't have time for the actual autobiography. But any exposure to the life of a great man like Nelson Mandela is good. I only knew bits and pieces of his life and his impact so I was glad to fill in some more gaps. I hope people will take away that they too can make a difference in the world around them. If there is an injustice, they have the power to right it.

A timeline and glossary follows the story.
Katrina
This is an autobiographical novel written by the subject of the book himself. It is appropriate for all ages. In this book, Mandela speaks of his childhood, his political prowess, and his imprisonment during the Apartheid. It is an inspirational story and gives a first hand account at the hardships experience by this political figure. It is very informative and educational while still remaining an interesting story that keeps you involved.
Gen
This is the first time I have read an autobiography in the form of a children's picture book. Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, tells the story about a life of a long-time activist who herded sheep when he was young to fighting for democracy in South Africa. Mandela was born in the village of Mvezo in 1918, went to school there, began a career as a lawyer, was a member of the African National Congress, his 27 years years in prison, his release, and finally his election as South Africa's firs ...more
Jonathan Ryal
This biography on Nelson Mandela provided a great amount of information about the entire upbringing and struggles of his life. The author starts with Nelson as a young boy growing up in a small and remote tribal community. He takes us through the gifts of his life and schooling along with the down times of loosing his father and divorce. We then get to the political aspects of his life that ends with Nelson Mandela being freed and becoming president of South Africa. This book does a great job of ...more
Cassandra Ball
I very much enjoyed this book! This was one of the biography books that I chose to do. The pictures were beautiful and really made me feel like I was in the scene and in South Africa. I loved the colors that were used because I really feel like they depicted South Africa and represented the culture of that part of the world. The way that the story/biography was presented was awesome! Even though it was a true story the way that it was presented it seemed as though it could have been fiction due ...more
Rachel Cavender
This is an inspiring book about Nelson Mandela and his fight for freedom. This is a really good book for kids because it gives them a look into our history in terms that they can understand. I would definitely use this book in my classroom and probably as a read aloud.
Taneka
One of the most prominent figures in South African history, Nelson Mandela rose from being a small boy working his tribal land to the president of South Africa. This book takes the reader through the life of Mandela. After losing his father, he is taken in by an uncle and educated at a boarding school. He runs away from home after being told he would marry and arrives in Johannesburg. Mandela fights for freedom for all South Africans and joins the African National Congress (ANC). He is jailed fo ...more
Tiffany Askins
This is an biography about the life of Nelson Mandela and his journey to freedom. I used this book as a read aloud during Black History month to discuss the challenges Nelson Mandela encountered to bring freedom to the Africans in South Africa.
Jaguar
It was a very interesting read about Nelson Mandela's life and everything he went through growing up, and him as an adult, fighting for the freedom of others. I got a lot of information, despite it not being very long.
Nashay
This is an autobiography offer a glimpse into the mind of the great leader. The book talks about the struggles he faced against fighting the apartheid in South Africa. The book takes you from Nelson’s childhood as an ordinary village boy, to his leadership of the African National Congress, to his long years in prison, and finally his rise to become the leader of South Africa. This is a great introductory book for children in the early elementary grades, when teaching a lesson on South Africa, ci ...more
Rosendale Theatre
Read the books and then come bring the entire family to see the film based on the magnificent life of Nelson Mandela.
Marcia
A straightforward picture book biography of Nelson Mandela. All milestones are noted, and we get just a glimpse of the great man. There is enough biographical information for an elementary study, but to really feel the power and inspiration of this great man, be sure to read Kadir Nelson's.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Victoria
This book summarizes the life of Nelson Mandela, from his days as a sheep herder to his days of becoming a leader in Africa. He fought for democracy particularly in South Africa, and this book tells of his journey there. He then became South Africa's first president. This book could be used as a social studies lesson and a geography lesson. I could have students from the continent of Africa on a map, and then point out South Africa. They could also make a timeline of the major events in Nelson M ...more
Betsy Owens
Wow, wow, wow!

This book is so well done. It is a fabulous way for students to understand the struggle for freedom in South Africa. The pacing of the book covers his entire life in a rapid pace that allows students to remain engaged throughout his story.

The description of his prison cell creates a strong mental picture, “My cell was so tiny that when I lay down on my sleeping mat, my feet and hands could touch opposite walls. I was given some thin blankets and a bucket for a toilet. This cell was
Tanner Mendelson
This is an excellent picture book version of Nelson Mandela's autobiography. This picture book could be used in social studies to discuss topics such as race, freedom, democracy, apartheid, overcoming diversity, tribes, protesting, tragedy, and forgiveness. This book has excellent illustrations, a nice timeline in the back, and a glossary of key terms. I definitely recommend this book to anyone that wants to discuss South Africa, apartheid, or Nelson Mandela.
Liz
After reading Kadir Nelson's MANDELA, I wanted to know more. This book states that it's "the official picture book" of Mandela, abridged from his bestselling autobiography, LONG WALK TO FREEDOM. Enjoyed learning more about the life of this remarkable man. Appreciated the included timeline and glossary. Because it's his story, I guess sources are not necessary. Would love resources for further exploration though. Important humanitarian to share with students.
Richard
Great illustrated kids book, abridged from Mandela's autobiography of the same title. It's always nice to get a good picture in your mind and maps before you as you embark on reading a long work of non-fiction.

This would be appropriate for grade 4 and up.

I picked this up at my local public library when I saw two listings under the same heading, and one was in the YA section. Thought I might as well pick them both up. I'm about 10% into the larger book.
Diana
I cannot seem to find the actual autobiography of Nelson Mandela on Goodreads. This is the kids book but I actually read the full length book... much longer than the 64 pages for my kids. His autobiography is well written and inspiring. It is a great way to become more familiar with the history of apartheid and the struggles that Nelson Mandela overcame to free his people and ways that his family suffered through his sacrifice. A very worthwhile read.
Stephanie Cook
This is an abridged version of the autobiography of Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom. This book covers Mandela's life journey from a poor kid to a leader of a nation. Students who enjoy history would love this book because it is a simple version of the real book.
AR: 5.1

Use this book when it is time to discuss leadership in your classroom. Nelson Mandela is a great example of a leader who worked his way up from the bottom.
Sophie
This is a powerful story . The drawings are stunning and moving especially the one of all the dead bodies that the police had shot. I make sure I read this book regularly as it only takes 5 minutes to read and it puts things in their place. If I'm worried or sad about something I just remember that people care about me and I don't have to spend 27 years in prison.
Robin
Mandela talks about his journey in his own words . . . albeit in abbreviated form. Here are the essentials for young readers, abridged by a South African and illustrated by a South African. A welcome, authentic glimpse into his life. Bouma's cover illustration captures that captivating smile and the light of Mandela's eyes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Nelson Mandela
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln (Picture Book Biography)
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Sandy's Circus: A Story About Alexander Calder
  • The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
  • America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell
  • I Am Rosa Parks
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Anne Frank
  • Annie and Helen
  • Seeds of Change: Planting a Path to Peace
Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa Eggs to Lay, Chickens to Hatch: A Memoir Year Of The Tapeworm: A Novel Ouma Ruby's Secret We Write What We Like: Celebrating Steve Biko