Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A cynical Mattaen monk meets the ultimate temptation: a passionate female dragonrider who claims him as her mate.
Mass Market Paperback, 291 pages
Published June 30th 2009 by Love Spell (first published May 5th 2009)

Dragon Bound by Thea HarrisonDragon Actually by G.A. AikenAbout a Dragon by G.A. AikenWhat a Dragon Should Know by G.A. AikenLast Dragon Standing by G.A. Aiken
Dragon Shifters
136th out of 228 books — 479 voters
Bone Crossed by Patricia BriggsIron Kissed by Patricia BriggsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound by Patricia BriggsThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Best Books Read in 2009
90th out of 122 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Kane starts off with a good idea: subvert the standard alpha hero/beta heroine relationship by making her hero a virgin scholar monk-in-training, and her heroine a dragonslayer with some kind of sex magic (I didn't get far enough to learn more than that).

Karl, the almost-monk, is set to take his vows (including chastity) and join his order in two days. He is attracted to Elera but does not want to sleep with her, a sentiment he makes clear early on. Elera, the dragonslayer, is walking GHB. Afte...more
Sandy M
Wow. I’ve found a brand new author who is now on my auto-buy list after her debut book. This book has it all. It kept me reading, turning page after page, couldn’t put it down, it was terrific to the very last word. Yeah, all of those phrases that readers and reviewers use over and over again when describing a book they love. And add in any others you can think of.

Karl is a Mattaen initiate, men trained as warriors to defend those in need, and he is just days away from taking his final vows on h...more
Sabrina
Breath of Fire was a totally original and fun read! It sat on my TBR pile for a bit until one day I decided to give it a try. I wasn't expecting the fantastic story that I got, nor to come to the end and instantly want to find out about when the next book will be released.

This book turns many of the basic romance story rules on their axis. Instead of the virginal heroine being saved by the mighty hero, the book actually opens with the heroine saving the virgin hero's life! What's more, it wasn't...more
Nicole
I could not put this book down! It was incredible.
Sexy confident and clearly in charge Elera arrives just in time to save the Initiate Karl from certain death by the dragon he thought could not exsist. However daughter of the dragon slayer named Shane demands payment, in the form of the virgin sacrifice. Karl has pledged his life to attaining knowledge and remains celebate and virgin in his persuits. He will soon join the brotherhood as a full fledged member and finally gain access to the scrol...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Karl does not believe in dragons so when he arrives at a village getting ready to stake out a virgin as a sacrifice he tells them there are no dragons. When they still insist on sacrificing the virgin to the dragon he takes her place. Imagine his surprise when the dragon arrives and he is chained to a rock . Fortunately for him Elera the dragon slayer arrives in time to kill the dragon. Unfortunately for him Elera claims him as her virgin prize. Karl has spent the last 17 years as an Initiate of...more
Barbara ★
Dragonrider Elera must find a king for her people and settles on Mattaen Initiate Karl. It should take a lot to derail a man from his chosen path but Elera is tempation personified and it really doesn't take all that much effort to persuade Karl to leave everything behind.

Don't they say "turnabout is fair play"? Well in this story, the heroine takes the initiative and enthralls Karl and takes what she wants. It's finally the heroes turn to feel hurt and betrayed and it's about darn time. This is...more
Darcy
This one was a maybe book for me. The concept of a virgin sacrifice has been done so many times, but this one had a twist, the man was the virgin, so I thought it just might be different enough to capture my attention. Unfortunately the main female character grated on my last sane nerve, she was so abrasive that after 30 pages I gave it up. This one just wasn't for me.
Rachel
Paranormal romance. The thing that drew me to this is the man is the virgin and the woman is experienced. Complete opposite of most romance novels. Had to read it for that fact alone.

Started out good, but kind of fell off. Got a little boring towards the end.
Missy Fitch
This book was really interesting. I loved the dragon lore. The characters were well written and likable. The plot was interesting and made sense. I really enjoyed this book a lot!
Felicia (Ferishia)
I'd had this book in my tbr pile for about a year. I picked it to read for my PNR reading challenge and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like this book. The story was great, it was a different spin on what usually happens when dealing with dragons and sacrificial virgins. Karl is an Initiate, a man that is getting read to take his vows to be a monk. He lives a village that sacrifices virgins to appease the dragons. Or so it seems. Karl comes upon such an event happening, and takes the pl...more
Sarina Asheford
Breath of Fire was a surprisingly different take on your typical mythological/fantasy type romance book. I liked Elera from the start. She was strong, wily and could almost be defined as treacherous until you see the reasoning behind her behavior. Karl was a great character with dimension and knowledge who didn't jump into anything, in fact he often needed to be forced.

There were several scenes in this book that I would have liked to see go a bit differently, but it's not my muse, not my charac...more
Juli D.
Awesome new fantasy romance novel about a society of dragon riders, a religious sect, the hatred between them and the love of two of them members. The switching of the classic tale of the virgin sacrifice is an interesting twist that most readers seem to love--and this one was no exception. The world is fantastically drawn and rivals anything once produced in the fantasy genres. The romance is hot and sweet, and I think anyone who loves C.L. Wilson's work will adore Tammy Kane's too. I can't wai...more
Ok, I liked that fact that for a change the hero gets to play the part of sacrificial virgin but there was nothing about this story that really caught and held me. I found myself constantly putting it down for something else. The connection between Karl and Elera just didn't have enough to keep me slogging through so sadly I'm putting this in my give up pile. Probably one day, when I'm dreadfully sick and read all my other books I'll finish it - but I'm not holding my breath.
Ellen
This was a really good story, excellent world-building and real connection with Elera and Karl. I liked that even though Karl was a virgin there was an almost reason for why he was so good at it almost immediately (study - monks have that kind of information apparently).

I would love to see more of this world. I read this book only because the idea of a male human sacrifice was hilarious and it sounded interesting.
Feminista
DNF: In the first 30 pages, Karl, a man who has honour and a monk who wishes to remain celibate for the rest of his life is forced by Elera(using her magic)into having sex with her. Oh, and she knows that he doesn't want it, but does it stop her? Nope. And then she gets real indignant when he calls her some well-deserved names.
Rhianna
I love dragon stories! Something very sexy about the girl seducing the monk. My only real complaint was that the bad guy just didn't know how to die. The story ran a little too long, but overall was very entertaining, and left us waiting for book two.
Bradley
I thought I had found a grail with this book. Romance & dragons. Sadly the dragons are only second fiddle to the romance in the tale. Not a bad story, but less than what I hoped for. Ah well, back to fishing in my to-read pile. =-)
Lucy
Fantastic debut novel, especially if you like strong heroines, sexy virgin heroes and dragons!
Karen Stein
great book caught my interest in the first few pages
Moonlight Reads
Please read our full review at www.moonlightreads.com.
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Melanie Pretorius
Melanie Pretorius marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • Lucan (Pendragon Legacy #1)
  • Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1)
  • Flashfire (Dragonfire, #7)
  • Naked Dragon (Works Like Magick, #1)
  • Dragon Down Under (Dragon Down Under, #1)
  • Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)
  • Tangled Web (Deizian Empire, #1)
  • Tears of the Dragon (Dragonshifters, #1)
  • Firedrake (Dragon Knights, #5)
  • The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)
  • Dragon's Blood (Cruentus Dragons, #1)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • Wild Highland Magic (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #3)