Goners: The Final Hours of the Notable and Notorious

Goners: The Final Hours of the Notable and Notorious

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It’s human nature to want to know about the lives of famous figures, but it’s also human nature to want to know about their deaths, especially the unusual and sometimes sordid details. In smart prose with a light touch, Goners reveals the last days, hours, and moments of 50 notable and notorious figures in history such as Alexander the Great, John Belushi, Billy the Kid, J...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

Metagion
This book is very cool if you're just plain curious about how celebrities went on to their big reward, be it Ché Guevera, Liberace or even Pope John Paul II. Compiled by the author Gordon Kerr, it gives you a glimpse (or a 'slice of Death') into the demises and aftermath of how these folks passed into history. The book I got (from my Library; it's a 'loaner') is really nice with a red silk place holder so you can mark your page. I just wish the book was longer :( Great for trivia also. :)
A fun and fascinating book. Not particularly healthy to read in large doses, best absorbed a few chapters in a sitting.

I believed the book to be well researched and full of true accounts, but did find myself doubting it a bit later on due to 2 errors.

The first was either a factual error or a badly written sentence in which he mentioned Sylvia Plath attended Smith College in Boston!!! Of course, Smith is on the other side of the state of Massachusetts. In his defense, he may have meant that Plat...more
Karen
Quite the odd lineup. Monsters and princesses and Hollywood royalty and a few folks I'd never heard of. I suppose the recent death of Philip Seymour Hoffman might be one reason this book jumped out at me at the library.
Lindsay White
Now this is my kind of book - I'm only on the John Belushi entry now, but learned so much about his final hours and death (a back-up singer for the Band was convicted of manslaughter for administering Belushi speedballs the night he died!) than from any SNL book I've read.
Angie
No one is going to confuse Goners with great literature, but then again, someone who looks solely for great literature isn't likely to read it anyway. It's a fast, entertaining read with a healthy dose of black humor, perfect for indulging your morbid curiosity.
Dania
Although this book was tedious at times, it was also really fascinating. I'd recommend it to anyone with a morbid curiosity. I especially liked the entries that included conspiracy theories.
Cody
Very interesting, yet an odd mish-mash of characters. Ilearned a lot and put several of these people on my 'biographies to read' list.
MK
It might have been a little more rewarding to know more about the lives of the decedents. I had to Google too much.
Louisa
May 26, 2010 Louisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, nf
Just used this a book talk starter & it worked great! Kids really responded well.
Arthistorychick
This was an interesting and somewhat macabre read with no review to follow.
Cindy C
Quick, fun read - learned about the last days of many interesting people.
Al
Jan 11, 2010 Al added it
Good and bad endings for the inner ghoulish among us.
Emma
Emma added it
Feb 18, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Ashley Seward
Ashley Seward marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Perez Malone
Perez Malone marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gordon Kerr was born in the Scottish new town of East Kilbride and worked in the wine trade and then bookselling and publishing before becoming a full-time writer. He is the author of numerous books in a variety of genres, including art, history, true crime, travel and humour. He has a wife and two children and lives in Hampshire and – when he can – South West France.
More about Gordon Kerr...
Houses of Death Timeline of World History Evil Psychopaths Dead Men Walking Breakout - The Great Prison Escapes - Alcatraz, Billy the Kid, John Dillinger, Bundy, Biggs and the Great Train Robbery, Texas Seven, Blake, Hinds, Sheppard, Ramensky, Billy Hayes, Dengler