Start by marking “Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)” as Want to Read:
Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)

Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard #5)

On a post-apocalyptic world in the Taurus Reach, undercover Starfleet Intelligence agent Cervantes Quinn finds an ancient Shedai conduit. Unfortunately, the Klingons have found it first and have sent an army to claim it.
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published November 24th 2009 by Star Trek (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Precipice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Precipice

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinHow Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford
Best Star Trek Books
73rd out of 245 books — 193 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSpock's World by Diane DuaneSarek by A.C. CrispinQ-Squared by Peter David
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
144th out of 185 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 10, 2015 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
5th book of the series: the overall plot is still going strong, but I'm still soft on some of the main personalities. Diego Reyes, I don't feel that I have a grasp on him like I do for most of the others.

I admit to feeling lost on the identity of the several Shedai personalities roaming about. I know that one or more is/are hunting some other(s), but I couldn't tell you which was which.

The morphing of Cervantes Quinn-- ne'er do well, tramp merchant-- into a guerrilla fighter, I could handle. His
Feb 23, 2010 A rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Still a great series, I love all the politics between the Federation/Tholians/Klingons & I still love T'Prynn despite not entirely believing that pennington would just tag along with her for a whole year doing -letsfaceitnothing-.

A bit boring compared to the previous books but still good.
Jun 21, 2010 Terence rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Precipice is Mack's third entry in the Vanguard series and it's a pretty good one but I fear that the series may be running out of steam or that Mack is getting lazy.

My primary piece of evidence for this assertion is the unbelievable change in the Cervantes Quinn character. Quinn began literary life as a 50+, overweight, slovenly, perpetually soused ne'er-do-well along the lines of a Cyrano Jones ("The Trouble with Tribbles") or Harry Mudd ("Mudd's Women," "I, Mudd"). He was never comic relief a
Marc Mason
May 24, 2011 Marc Mason rated it really liked it
The VANGUARD series continues to impress, as literally just about anything can happen in this edge of the Trek universe. David Mack proves that he is the absolute best Trek writer working today- period- with this latest entry in the series.
Jul 27, 2011 John added it
This series just keep getting better. The characters introduced in the first book, whom you thought were stereotypical Starfleet heroes, have become pseudo-criminals, and fugitives from justice! This is definitely the best book in the series so far.
Duane Ballenger
May 02, 2012 Duane Ballenger rated it really liked it

I'll miss this series when it ends. Love the characters and the time period of this Trek series.
Sep 25, 2011 Bradley rated it liked it
Not bad as far as Star Trek novels go I suppose. The plotline was well thought out and executed. Decent care was spent on the details of the characters. Sadly I am not a devoted Trekkie, so I am letting this book go. Only one note of worth, it held its own in the Star Trek universe without one of the headline characters from the Enterprise. That alone might snare any reader to pick up other books by this author. =)
Roland Drake
Roland Drake rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Jan 08, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
Excellent, excellent, excellent! The high quality of the Vanguard saga is maintained. A lot of setup that I can't wait to see finally pay off.

Full review:
Jan 23, 2012 Leilani rated it really liked it
I love the way the writers and editors behind the Vanguard books managed to fit a suspenseful space opera full of entertaining new characters into a corner of the established Star Trek universe - relatives of the Tholians, where Project Genesis gets its start ... The writing is skillful, and the many characters all are vivid, even the ones who are just on the page briefly. The story continues to build in interesting new ways, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.
Ruben rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Mark Mekkes
Mark Mekkes rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Jun 15, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing
I've been loving the Vanguard series thus far ..... DS9 concept meets the Kirk days meets spy fiction meets scientific/medical inquiry (think Sector General series). This has been a great series and I'm disappointed it will be ending for me after just a few more books. While I'm sure it's "sequel series" (The Seekers series) will be just as fun and well-written ..... but I still don't want this fun to be over! The writers on this series have done a fantastic job ..... I just wish the "last book" ...more
Jan 03, 2013 Jimyanni rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This book would have been pretty good as a stand-alone or as the first of the series, but there are several points at which it fails gloriously to remain consistent with what has been established in the prior books of the series, mostly in terms of characterization. Cervantes Quinn as futuristic James Bond-style action hero? Please. Granted, there were hand-waving gestures made at rationalizing the change; he wasn't COMPLETELY incompetent in the last book, and the claim here is that he was previ ...more
Robert Soroky
Feb 17, 2013 Robert Soroky rated it liked it
Started slow, and had just a few too many nods/references to Star Wars and Blade Runner (specifically dialog and creature names), which were a major distraction. Fortunately, the story kicks into high gear by the final third of the book, and finishes with a bang! Overall, it's been a terrific series thus far...
Benjamin Plume
Mar 24, 2013 Benjamin Plume rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the other Vanguard books I've read to date. I'm not sure why.

It had probably the most action of any book in the series so far, and it was definitely more of a page-turner than, say, "Reap the Whirlwind." I think ultimately what took some of the edge off of this one, for me, was how neatly all the various plotlines tied together. It just didn't seem quite messy enough.

I still enjoyed it, and like most of David Mack's Star Trek work it was well-crafted and
Mark rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Gordon Love
Oct 20, 2016 Gordon Love rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Dull, wooden and dreary, almost svaed by a few good plot ideas. The writing style is utterly repetitive and uninspired.
Aug 10, 2013 Tom rated it liked it
Lots of action in this installment with a few surprises. Also, there was very little recall of events from the previous titles. I liked that. Not much in furthering character development occurred. The next in the series is the novellas which may fill in some of the blanks.
Amelia rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Christopher Backa
Aug 10, 2014 Christopher Backa rated it it was amazing
The excellent vanguard story continues in book 5, it wraps some character arcs , and continues to explore the mystery of the Taurus reach
Still going strong!

I feel awful that it took me several months to continue with the Vanguard series, but it was like coming home once I did. I'm telling you all that this isn't just a great Star Trek book series, it is also great sci fi! I doubt we'll ever see it, but I would love to see this made into a TV or movie series. Honestly, just read these books.
Oct 08, 2014 Victor rated it really liked it
Phew, David Mack managed to sidestep some of the more egregious absurdities of the previous entry in the series. Precipice is certainly an enjoyable little pulpy space opera romp. The politics on the titular Federation station take a back seat to some exciting antics on a nearby planet. Mack also pared down the cast to the few characters that were truly interesting. There are still names I've read before that I don't remember or care about, but the main players get a lot done and it's fun the wh ...more
David King
Apr 08, 2016 David King rated it really liked it
“Precipice” by David Mack is the 5th novel in the Star Trek Vanguard series. As always with the Vanguard novels there are a several plotlines to follow but they all focus in some way around the Taurus Reach and the various interactions between the Federation, Klingons, Tholians and Shedai.

On the whole, this is another enjoyable episode in the Vanguard series of novels. Mack’s writing is competent and the pacing is much improved from what I noted in the previous novel, “Open Secrets”. In additio
Brad rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Odette rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Dec 07, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Perhaps my expectations were unduly high after "Reap the Whirlwind", but "Precipice" seemed to skid along the same plateau traversed by "Open Secrets".

The Shedai plot seems stalled at the moment, with attention refocused on the Klingons after the events of the last installment. Try as I might, I found myself quickly losing interest in the "mysterious" Mirdonyae artefact and the game of ping-pong the Federation and Klingons were playing with it. Thankfully, Mack rarely disappoints with his charac
Debbie A Seaborn
Oct 16, 2016 Debbie A Seaborn rated it really liked it
love Star Trek but this is the first book i have read. enjoyed very much and good story. Would search out some more of David Mack's stories.
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: Enterprise #12)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than twenty-five novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans o
More about David Mack...

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)