Start by marking “Snow, Glass, Apples” as Want to Read:
Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow, Glass, Apples

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  2,345 ratings  ·  233 reviews
A retelling of the Snow White fairy tale from the point of view of the "wicked stepmother." This version was a chapbook compiled by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and sold at Comic Con 2008 and on the BPAL website with all proceeds going to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
Chapbook, 25 pages
Published 2008 by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (first published March 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Snow, Glass, Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow, Glass, Apples

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
188th out of 1,541 books — 6,768 voters
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceThe Ordinary Princess by M.M. KayeGolden by Cameron DokeyBeauty Sleep by Cameron DokeyBriar Rose by Jane Yolen
Fairy Tale Retellings: Hidden Gems
75th out of 358 books — 679 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
*3.5 stars*

description

Oh my! Snow, Glass, Apples is some twisted, dark and creepy fairytale retelling of Snow White, lovely and dear Snow White. In this short story written by the critically acclaimed author Neil Gaiman, she is pure and innocent no more. Better watch out: the mask she wears might fool you, too. The closer you get, the more dangerous it becomes.

“Princess?”
She said nothing. Her eyes were black as coal, black as her hair; her lips were redder than blood. She looked up at me and smiled. Her
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*

The true story of this little shit

who everyone thinks is such a sweet little princess-ummm yeah.That pale skin always made me wonder... Look how she grew up.

I loved this! I think this is one of the best re-telling's I've seen.

Many thanks to my buddy Kelly for giving me a heads up on this one.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

HOLY SHITBALLS!

This retelling of Snow White was perfection. No other description. Gaiman at a whole ‘nother level.

Growing up I wondered who the f*%# would want to be this bitch . . .

Commercial Photography

When they could be THIS instead . . .

Commercial Photography

I always wanted to hear the story from the Evil Queen’s perspective. You know the old saying, “there are three sides to every story – her side, her side and the truth????” I knew the Evil Queen couldn’t be completel
Anne
Dear Neil Gaiman,
I am now appropriately freaked out by Snow White.
Thanks,
Anne

Highly Recommended

Read it free HERE
OR
listen to a highly creepy audio rendition acted out HERE.
Liz*
You can drop the act, Snow White. Always knew behind that innocent sweet face of yours was actually a perverted psychopath.

I think this is the first time I read a Gaiman book, all I knew was Coraline, the Burton-esque movie version. I am incredibly and pleasantly surprised to see I had no clue what I was going into.

Snow, Glass, Apples is a (too) short retelling of what actually happened in the cute Grimm story. It's good to know finally the truth is out there and that chick can stop pretending t
Scarlet

This was a fun, dark and twisted read. I love fairytale remakes, the darker the better and it doesn't get much darker than this.

Snow white is told originally from the perspective of Snow White herself, this little gem retells the story from the point of view of The Evil Queen.

Looks like little Snow White isn't as sweet and innocent as we were all led to believe. Forget all you think you know of this story and immerse yourself in the dark and twisted truth narrated for us by the Evil Queen herse
MLE
Perfectly creepy, and terrible. An excellent fairy tale re-imagining.

Also evil kids give me the creeps.

Jonnie
Pardon my language, but f███.

I always knew Snow White was a little shit. This book definitely appealed to the strange in me, and also to the part in me that loves fairy tale retellings with a dark and often creepy twist à la Grimms.

Neil Gaiman's fantastic retelling of Snow White from the Evil Queens perspective is drenched in my kind of perfection. Like a glass of red wine - it was absolutely delicious, also chillingly dark, and incredibly erotic (yeah, wine does that to me. I ain't even ashamed
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*

Monstrous children are my fucking terror kryptonite..... they always do the shudder-bombs to me, ALWAYS!!

This revamped fairytale is as sinister as one can hope. It takes us back to the stories that were told to terrify children into not doing things. Like going outside. Walking in forests. or offering hungry children apples. EVER.

It's no secret that I am a Neil Gaiman fan but I fucking loved this short. It was creepy, sadistic and fucking perfect.

ALL.THE.STARS!

Shandra {The Happy New Mrs}
Snow White evil photo: Evil Snow White 6ece98b9.jpg

You think you know Snow White? Think again. She's evil...pure evil!!! Her prince is equally as evil as she is. Neil Gaiman has taken the lovely fairy tale I grew up knowing, and has changed it into a disturbing story. I'm sick and twisted, so I thoroughly enjoyed this one!!
Irena
3.5
A twisted, disturbing retelling of Snowhite told by the queen. Basically it's a horror story with a well known-theme twisted so much that by the end of it, it becomes something completely new.
This isn't a young adult story (fortunately). It has this constant sense of doom. A depressing horror story overall.
The writing is unsurprisingly great, but the events and characters won't make you feel good.
Elspeth
Neil Gaiman is the master of creepy.
Tadiana
Holy smoke, is this ever dark and creepy and twisted. If you never wondered why Snow White has skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood, you should.

description

Free online, and Neil Gaiman is a gifted writer, but seriously, read this only if you're good with R-rated, perverse and extremely dark fairy tales. And you're not alone at night.

3.5 stars.
Denisse
"They will have my body, but my soul and my story are my own, and will die with me."

I have no idea what I was expecting from this. It surely wasn't what I got. A friend here in GR marked it as to-read and it caught my attention. But damn! It was very good. I really like and enjoy a good dark twisted retelling. So if you do too, don't waste more time. It's very short and amazingly well written. But...it has some gore scenes and stuff, not too dark for me...but you've been warned.

Excelente para
SUSAN
Fantastic. Read this.
Monique
If I hadn't declared enough that I love Neil Gaiman, then I will reiterate: I love Neil Gaiman. He rocks my world.

The short story Snow, Glass, Apples is a retelling of the beloved children's tale, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, from the point of view of Snow White's wicked stepmother-queen. The narrative is a flashback, commencing from the story of how the Wicked Stepmother-Queen met Snow White's father, the King, telling how their courtship progressed and how everything culminated to their
Lady Danielle

"Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognisable after a snowfall; that is what she has made of my life.

~~~~

I had been frozen by her, owned and dominated."

Talk about a twisted, Gothic fairy tale! Snow White isn't that sweet-voiced, kindhearted soul that everyone loves and the queen wasn't the devil. Whatever Disney told you/created of her was a lie.

I've read (or tried to) read three books by Neil Gaiman and they were all d
Kristin
Dark, creepy, twisted fun

You can read it HERE for free
Jess
Oh goody goody. This story was delightfully sinister and creeptastic! I wish I had read this for Halloween because it is everything I love about the paranormal genre. Gaiman is certainly at his best here, and I inhaled every word of this beautiful short.

This is basically a retelling of Snow White, which with all this Once Upon a Time and such nowadays I feel is a very popular thing to do. But Gaiman doesn't just make a familiar tale darker, more sinister, and more adult, he totally changes the t
Carol
Holy Crap! What if Snow White were really a monster? Well.....she certainly is in this dark and creepy story! Gaiman tells the fairytale from the evil stepmother's viewpoint with crazy good and eerie special effects making for a shockingly good tale. With red type print to accentuate the voice of the Queen, this short play is easy to read and moves right along.

Would highly recommend this wickedly freaky and scandalous take on an old children's classic to mature audiences only as it is sexually e

Inday-Elie
Twisted is an understatement. For Snow, Glass, Apples by the renowned author Neil Gaiman has taken the most beloved and well-known Fairytale classic to a whole new level, and for that its a definite 5 star for me! ^__^

The short story focuses on the Wicked stepmother's perspective in regards to Snow White. Afar from the original version, snow white is but a lovely maiden all fair and too innocent, but with Gaiman's creative imagination, the story has took form into something more. deeper and dark
Tania
Sep 11, 2014 Tania rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tania by: sonja
Shelves: fantasy
2.5 stars. It was well written, and I enjoyed the different perspective on the Snow White tale. I may have been stuck in mommy mode when reading this, as it felt that there was too much sex just for the sake of sex for this short story.
Trevar
Jan 15, 2013 Trevar rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: *Adult* Fantasy Lovers
Before you read on, understand that I am not against Neil Gaiman's work; he has written some exceptional tales. Nor am I necessarily against updating fairy tales; if done well, I would say the idea is sound. However, the essence of the original must remain, and... well, see for yourself. Mixed with the wise words of Dickens, this is my review of Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, Apples".

Thomas Carlyle once wrote that, “The merit of originality is not novelty; it is sincerity” (Bolander 66). Whether
Leah
This is the stepmother’s story of what really happened between her and Snow White. It seems accurate.

And I would not close my eyes until the princess was ash, and a gentle wind could scatter her like snow.

This is the first Snow White retelling that I’ve read, and I don’t think I need to read another one.

This was disturbing and dark and beautifully written.

I would love to read and listen to more fairytale retellings by Mr. Gaiman.
Steve
Interesting take on the Snow White fairy tale, and definitely NOT a child's story.
H
When I started listening to this radio play I was afraid this would be an eye-rolling romance, but it quickly picked up a thread of dark mystery. I picked up early on that this would be a retelling of the Snow White story, but Gaiman really surprised me with his take on it. For example, I would have never thought to draw the Prince the way he did. The images are great, the story is disturbing but captivating, and the ending is well-done.
Sonja Arlow
What a deliciously wicked (and slightly disturbing ) short story this was. I really loved how Gaiman took the fairytale of Snow White and turned it upside down and inside out. My only complaint is that it was over too soon.

Oh and a word of warning, there are some sexually explicit undertones in this book so please don’t read this to kids ☺
Kandice
My favorite part of this book is that all proceeds are donated to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. I attend their panels at ComicCon every year and they absolutely need, warrant and deserve the money. Go Gaiman!

This was a clever way to paint Snow as the bad guy. Nothing is spelled out, but by the time the tale is told we all know what Snow really is. I'm not sure if she is actually evil or simply must do what she does to survive, but she is not the sweet, innocent and naive girl of the Disney
Kedar
I like it when fairy tales are modified and adapted to make them scary, gory, and chilling. And I love what Gaiman did with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Just that the ending was a bit sober, yeah?
I believe this is my first experience with reading a fairy-tale retelling but if other titles in the genre are anything like Snow, Glass, Apples then I will be reading more! I loved how the story of Snow White inspired this dark paranormal/fantasy short story...and I enjoyed reading the "wicked stepmother's" point of view. The good versus evil role reversal in this retelling was quite creative and well done. As always, Neil Gaiman shares his wonderfully horrific imagination with readers. I just ...more
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins
  • GOTH A Novel of Horror
  • Fearie Tales: Stories of the Grimm and Gruesome
  • African Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales
  • Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale
  • Why Fairy Tales Stick: The Evolution and Relevance of a Genre
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust

“Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognizable after a snowfall; that is that she has made of my life.” 67 likes