Start by marking “Snow, Glass, Apples” as Want to Read:
Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow, Glass, Apples (Neil Gaiman's Smoke & MIrrors)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,928 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
A retelling of the Snow White fairy tale from the point of view of the "wicked stepmother."

This version was a chapbook compiled by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and sold at Comic Con 2008 and on the BPAL website with all proceeds going to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
Chapbook, 25 pages
Published 2008 by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (first published March 1995)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
175th out of 1,895 books — 7,629 voters
The Ordinary Princess by M.M. KayeGolden by Cameron DokeyBeauty Sleep by Cameron DokeyDeathless by Catherynne M. ValenteThe Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey
Fairy Tale Retellings: Hidden Gems
53rd out of 448 books — 811 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola  Reviewer
*3.5 stars*

description

Oh my! Snow, Glass, Apples is some twisted, dark and creepy fairytale retelling of Snow White, lovely and dear Snow White. In this short story written by the critically acclaimed author Neil Gaiman, she is pure and innocent no more. Better watch out: the mask she wears might fool you, too. The closer you get, the more dangerous it becomes.

“Princess?”
She said nothing. Her eyes were black as coal, black as her hair; her lips were redder than blood. She looked up at me and smiled. He
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Dec 05, 2014 Shelby *trains flying monkeys* rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)

The true story of this little shit

who everyone thinks is such a sweet little princess-ummm yeah.That pale skin always made me wonder... Look how she grew up.

I loved this! I think this is one of the best re-telling's I've seen.

Many thanks to my buddy Kelly for giving me a heads up on this one.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Dec 05, 2014 Kelly (and the Book Boar) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shelby
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

HOLY SHITBALLS!

This retelling of Snow White was perfection. No other description. Gaiman at a whole ‘nother level.

Growing up I wondered who the f*%# would want to be this bitch . . .

Commercial Photography

When they could be THIS instead . . .

Commercial Photography

I always wanted to hear the story from the Evil Queen’s perspective. You know the old saying, “there are three sides to every story – her side, her side and the truth????” I knew the Evil Queen couldn’t be completel
Vane J.
Aug 31, 2015 Vane J. rated it liked it
Recommended to Vane by: Lola Reviewer

I actually read this shortie two weeks ago, but today I was looking at my shelves and I was suprised to see it had no review, since I was 99,9% sure I had reviewed it. Plus, it deserves one, so here I am trying to write a decent review.

Snow, Glass, Apples is a retelling of Snow White, but it's not your typical retelling. It's told from the perspective of the dear witch, who if I'm honest with you, was always my favourite character.

C'mon, how could I not like her?

I think it worked for me because
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Once again, Neil Gaiman enraptured me in his dark, little world of princesses. You may as well forget the Disney versions because Gaiman's princesses are never the damsel-in-distresses and his tales are not quite for the light-hearted either. His princesses are their own sole heroes but sometimes, they can also be the villains.

In this case, Snow, Glass, Apples is a very gritty, very twisted retelling of Snow White. What also makes it quite different is that this little tale is told in the pers
Anne
Dear Neil Gaiman,
I am now appropriately freaked out by Snow White.
Thanks,
Anne

Highly Recommended

Read it free HERE
OR
listen to a highly creepy audio rendition acted out HERE.
Liz* Fashionably Late
You can drop the act, Snow White. Always knew behind that innocent sweet face of yours was actually a perverted psychopath.

I think this is the first time I read a Gaiman book, all I knew was Coraline, the Burton-esque movie version. I am incredibly and pleasantly surprised to see I had no clue what I was going into.

Snow, Glass, Apples is a (too) short retelling of what actually happened in the cute Grimm story. It's good to know finally the truth is out there and that chick can stop pretending t
Γκέλλυ
Μια σκοτεινή, ανατριχιαστική εκδοχή της Χιονάτης μέσα από τα μάτια του Neil Gaiman. Ποιός είναι ο αθώος και ποιός ο ένοχος? Η Χιονάτη δεν είναι το μικρό, αγνό κοριτσάκι του παραμυθιού, είναι ένα τέρας που διψάει για αίμα. Η μητριά της, μια μικρή κοπέλα που γίνεται βασίλισσα και έρχεται αντιμέτωπη με την φρίκη. Ο πρίγκηπας του παραμυθιού? Με κάπως διαφορετικά γούστα στο σεξ, σαγηνεύεται από την νεκρή Χιονάτη.

Δεν υπάρχει happy ending σε αυτή την εκδοχή του παραμυθιού και αυτή είναι η γοητεία του.

MLE
Dec 04, 2014 MLE rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-and-horror
Perfectly creepy, and terrible. An excellent fairy tale re-imagining.

Also evil kids give me the creeps.

Shandra
Jan 20, 2014 Shandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snow White evil photo: Evil Snow White 6ece98b9.jpg

You think you know Snow White? Think again. She's evil...pure evil!!! Her prince is equally as evil as she is. Neil Gaiman has taken the lovely fairy tale I grew up knowing, and has changed it into a disturbing story. I'm sick and twisted, so I thoroughly enjoyed this one!!
Jonnie
Dec 10, 2014 Jonnie rated it it was amazing
Pardon my language, but f.

I always knew Snow White was a little shit. This book definitely appealed to the strange in me, and also to the part in me that loves fairy tale retellings with a dark and often creepy twist à la Grimms.

Neil Gaiman's fantastic retelling of Snow White from the Evil Queens perspective is drenched in my kind of perfection. Like a glass of red wine - it was absolutely delicious, also chillingly dark, and incredibly erotic (yeah, wine does that to me. I ain't even ashamed).

S
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Monstrous children are my fucking terror kryptonite..... they always do the shudder-bombs to me, ALWAYS!!

This revamped fairytale is as sinister as one can hope. It takes us back to the stories that were told to terrify children into not doing things. Like going outside. Walking in forests. or offering hungry children apples. EVER.

It's no secret that I am a Neil Gaiman fan but I fucking loved this short. It was creepy, sadistic and fucking perfect.

ALL.THE.STARS!

Molly
description

This was disturbing on so many levels. (*shivers*)

A dark twisted retelling of Snow White. Enough said,... I'll never think of this fairy tale without remembering Gaiman's short. Of all things... a blood-sucking Snow White (there were clues, yes... skin so white, lips so red).

(view spoiler)

“The goo
Kristijan
Jun 28, 2015 Kristijan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kratko, efektno, britko,... i toliko izvrnuto (slatka mala Snežana, vrh joj na dnu stoji) i drugačije...
Neko bi možda rekao da je klasična bajka već sama po sebi nasilna, ali Gaiman još jednom pomera granicu dalje.
Uvek su mi se sviđala "viđenja poznatih stvari iz drugačijeg/tuđeg ugla", ali ovo je prosto WOW.
Carol
Holy Crap! What if Snow White were really a monster? Well.....she certainly is in this dark and creepy story! Gaiman tells the fairytale from the evil stepmother's viewpoint with crazy good and eerie special effects making for a shockingly good tale. With red type print to accentuate the voice of the Queen, this short play is easy to read and moves right along.

Would highly recommend this wickedly freaky and scandalous take on an old children's classic to mature audiences only as it is sexually e

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Holy smoke, is this ever dark and creepy and twisted. If you never wondered why Snow White has skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood, you should.

description

Free online, and Neil Gaiman is a gifted writer, but seriously, read this only if you're good with R-rated, perverse and extremely dark fairy tales. And you're not alone at night.

3.5 stars.
Denisse
Dec 16, 2014 Denisse rated it it was amazing
"They will have my body, but my soul and my story are my own, and will die with me."

I have no idea what I was expecting from this. It surely wasn't what I got. A friend here in GR marked it as to-read and it caught my attention. But damn! It was very good. I really like and enjoy a good dark twisted retelling. So if you do too, don't waste more time. It's very short and amazingly well written. But...it has some gore scenes and stuff, not too dark for me...but you've been warned.

Excelente para
Skyscraper
Aug 26, 2015 Skyscraper rated it liked it
True rating: 2.5

Read this shortie while waiting for my turn in the hospital, took a few minutes, thus the extra stars.

I never really liked Snow White, it was just another white-washed princess film with virtuous, perfect, beautiful characters (although I don’t find Snow White beautiful;/ ). So when I found out there was a 25 paged retelling from the queen’s POV I was ecstatic.

This retelling isn’t really good, I just liked the fact that Snow White was the villain here. I always wondered why she
Elspeth
Neil Gaiman is the master of creepy.
⊱ Irena ⊰
Dec 08, 2014 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it
3.5
A twisted, disturbing retelling of Snowhite told by the queen. Basically it's a horror story with a well known-theme twisted so much that by the end of it, it becomes something completely new.
This isn't a young adult story (fortunately). It has this constant sense of doom. A depressing horror story overall.
The writing is unsurprisingly great, but the events and characters won't make you feel good.
SUSAN
Jan 11, 2015 SUSAN rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav-horror
Fantastic. Read this.
Monique
Sep 06, 2011 Monique rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Monique by: Tintin
If I hadn't declared enough that I love Neil Gaiman, then I will reiterate: I love Neil Gaiman. He rocks my world.

The short story Snow, Glass, Apples is a retelling of the beloved children's tale, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, from the point of view of Snow White's wicked stepmother-queen. The narrative is a flashback, commencing from the story of how the Wicked Stepmother-Queen met Snow White's father, the King, telling how their courtship progressed and how everything culminated to thei
Lucie
Měním na 5! V noci jsem kvůli tomu nemohla usnout. Pořád jsem musela přemýšlet nad tím, jestli tu královnu opekli a snědli nebo jen zpopelnili.
Ten šílený princ se zálibou v nekrofilií a 13letá Sněhurka s nahým mnichem na mechu mě budou ve snech strašit ještě velmi dlouhou dobu.

Gaiman se zase jednou předvedl.
I am Danielle.

"Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognisable after a snowfall; that is what she has made of my life.

~~~~

I had been frozen by her, owned and dominated."

Talk about a twisted, Gothic fairy tale! Snow White isn't that sweet-voiced, kindhearted soul that everyone loves and the queen wasn't the devil. Whatever Disney told you/created of her was a lie.

I've read (or tried to) read three books by Neil Gaiman and they were all
Marquise
I'm ambivalent about this short story: on one hand, I think the idea of presenting the Queen as the maligned party and Snow as the villain is a genius subversion, one with lots of potential and one that I particularly have grown interested in after reading some feminist interpretations of the tale's theme. But on the other hand, I am left with the uneasy conviction that Gaiman didn't achieve much with his retelling.

It's not the twists, the perversions, the horror and the creepiness; not at all.
Laurie
Dec 18, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
What if the Evil Queen was actually the nice one?

A great story about how Snow White could have been some evil creature.

I really enjoyed this story because Regina is one of my favorite characters on Once Upon a Time and I really feel like she is so much more than that. She has flaws, even in this version of the story, but she is wiser and does what she has to for her kingdom.

Leah
Dec 05, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
This is the stepmother’s story of what really happened between her and Snow White. It seems accurate.

And I would not close my eyes until the princess was ash, and a gentle wind could scatter her like snow.

This is the first Snow White retelling that I’ve read, and I don’t think I need to read another one.

This was disturbing and dark and beautifully written.

I would love to read and listen to more fairytale retellings by Mr. Gaiman.
Kristin ❋extols death with luminescent brilliance❋
Dark, creepy, twisted fun

You can read it HERE for free
Tania
Sep 11, 2014 Tania rated it it was ok
Recommended to Tania by: sonja
Shelves: fantasy
2.5 stars. It was well written, and I enjoyed the different perspective on the Snow White tale. I may have been stuck in mommy mode when reading this, as it felt that there was too much sex just for the sake of sex for this short story.
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Oh goody goody. This story was delightfully sinister and creeptastic! I wish I had read this for Halloween because it is everything I love about the paranormal genre. Gaiman is certainly at his best here, and I inhaled every word of this beautiful short.

This is basically a retelling of Snow White, which with all this Once Upon a Time and such nowadays I feel is a very popular thing to do. But Gaiman doesn't just make a familiar tale darker, more sinister, and more adult, he totally changes the t
  • Among the Thorns
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf
  • Fearie Tales: Stories of the Grimm and Gruesome
  • Off with their heads!: fairy tales and the culture of childhood
  • Ponies
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • Selfies
  • Ember
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Happily Ever After
  • Vixen
  • Why Fairy Tales Stick: The Evolution and Relevance of a Genre

Neil Gaiman's Smoke & MIrrors (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Reading The Entrails
  • The Wedding Present
  • Chivalry
  • Nicholas Was . . .
  • The Price
  • Troll Bridge
  • Don't Ask Jack
  • Пруд с золотыми рыбками и другие истории goldfish pool
  • The White Road
  • Changes

“Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognizable after a snowfall; that is that she has made of my life.” 71 likes