My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)

My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  910 ratings  ·  90 reviews

Welcome to Salt Lick, Texas, home of big hair,
big ranches, and two of the biggest busybodies ever
to wield a blow-dryer—Debbie Sue and Edwina,
also known as the Domestic Equalizers. Their motto:
Don't run over him—get over him! Their mission:
Track down and expose your straying man. And they
won't stop until female domestic justice is served.

Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina...more
Published August 29th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 18th 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
167th out of 2,135 books — 1,942 voters
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyToo Great a Temptation by Alexandra BenedictClaiming the Courtesan by Anna CampbellA Knight to Remember by Christina DoddOnce a Knight by Christina Dodd
Avon Romances (That I Might Read Someday)
46th out of 100 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Fun, frivolous and feisty, Southern chick lit always focuses on scrappy women refusing to sit back and take s**t, getting on with their lives even when -- yes -- their hearts are breaking. That's what Texas hairdressers/sleuths Edwina and Debbie Sue help Paige accomplish in this tale of heiresses, horse-napping and hijinks. Dixie Cash doesn't write serious literature, but the sisters behind the pen name (Pamela Cumbie & Jeffery McClanahan) create fun reads that help feisty ladies, Southern o...more
Krystal
Dixie Cash's books are a bit of guilty pleasure. They may not be the most well written books, and focus a little too much on the romance for my taste, but the team that writes these books do have an undeniable funny bone between them. Yeah, you know how it ends, but the quirks are why I read them. All in all, as good as I expected.
Kathleen Hagen
I may be Broken-Hearted but my Hair Still Looks Great, by Dixie Cash, A-minus, narrated by Peggity Price, produced by Lone Star Books, a division of Recorded Books, and downloaded from audible.com.

This is the first book in the Dixie Cash series about Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin, beauty operators in the best and only beauty shop in Salt Lick, Texas who moonlight as the “Domestic Equalizers” detective agency. Their answering message for the detective agency is: “Domestic Equali...more
Fiona
What a fun book.

Paige seemed like a snooty bitch at the beginning of the novel. By then end, she had "found herself" and was a really good person.

Edwina & Debbie Sue are hair sylists in Salt Lick, Texas, a small town in west Texas. They also own a detective agency called Domestic Equalizers. They've promised their husbands that they would not engage in any violence or real trouble so their main business is taking photos of errant husbands.

Paige is a wealthy girl living off her father's wea...more
Vickie
O...M...G!!! Yeah, I know, I've been starting quite a few of latest blog reviews with this, but this book totally deserves the OMG, I swear!

This was the perfect listen, snort laugh funny, excellent characters I could easily dig, and a good mystery with no murder. Missing horses was the main investigation along with the cheating husbands that are par for the two Domestic Investigators.
Main story was Paige McBride and her getting over herself to become a charming young woman...she had a trek to...more
Stacey
Nice, quick read. Especially after Atonement; this is what I needed. No thought involved. Nada. While I enjoyed the story, it didn't really fall true to the back cover. It seemed to me to promise horse thefts and more about the Domestic Equalizers, but the story was narrated by the two love interests with maybe three two-page chapters from the horse thief's perspective. And, never from Debbie Sue or Edwina's that I recall. Which in the end I probably enjoyed more. I also wasn't a big fan of the...more
Gizzard
Great title, how does it go with the book? This author counts much too much on women doing stupid things for the comedic situations. This book is better than the first of the series, but not sure I will continue. The mystery was much better than the first and even more applicable to the plot. But there are much better cute and funny women's mysteries.
Anne Hawn Smith
This is the second book in the series and Debbie Sue Overstreet and her friend, Edwina, are still running their beauty shop and the detective agency "Domestic Equalizers." The agency's business is all about tracking down erring spouses and getting the goods on them, so the pair find it a challenge to try to discover why neighboring horses are going missing. A spoiled little rich girl turns into a friend and horse lover and catches the eye of the new bachelor vet, Spur Atwater, and the four of th...more
Sandra
I enjoyed this book a lot! It was great! Great sense of humor. I love the friendship of the women and the feel of the people and where they live. I love the beauty salon as a focal point for these women who are no nonsense and great human beings. And the love for "Rocket Man", got to me. Great story.
Marelu
May 22, 2014 Marelu added it
This was a fun, slightly raunchy, spunky diversion. It was a little predictable and I thought I had the plot figured out but there were a couple of surprises. The characters were fun and likeable. I plan to read more of the series. A fun day-at-the-beach read.
Allison
Uh...

Well, take one Mary Sue with a daddy who happens to be mind-blowingly rich, one poor but swoon-inducing (at least - i think he is. I don't remember ever actually reading a description of him that wasn't totally and depressingly generic) studly cowboy veterinarian, stick both in a tiny town in Texas and stir.

Add two raunchy hairdressers, one horse thief, pages and pages of small-town, alcohol-induced drama and you have - this. "My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great."

I'd give...more
Amy
Fun story about a rich Texan party girl who finally ticks Daddy off one time too many. He decides the best way to force her to be responsible is to cut her off financially. She gets herself into some pretty funny predicaments while learning about independence in a small town in West Texas. Taking part in a sting operation on a probable horse thief, getting a job at McDonald's and befriending the local hairdresser/detectives lend to some memorable scenes. She finds the love of a lifetime despite...more
Lynette Most
Another easy read. Maybe I like these because I'm living in Texas. :-). I've read all the Dixie Cash books.
Jessica
Trite, stereotypical, almost offensive characters and dialogue nearly turned me away from this book after only 25 pages. The authors (Dixie is, of course, a pen name) are from Texas according to the bio in the back, but they do a disservice with their portrayal of the characters. According to them, people say things "little filly" and "darlin" and "no you didn't" in common conversation. The plot is too familiar as well. I would compare the love story to Pride and Prejudice but that would potenti...more
Sandy
Chick Lit at its finest, Texas zany characters and humorous.
Jodi
Different kind of read nice to mix it up for a change.
Janel
What did I expect with a title like that, and my shallow attraction to a cover who's colors reminded me of Sweetarts? This book was cute, not awful, but very unfulfilling. The characters never felt real to me. The heroine of the book is a super rich, Barbie looking girl with no depth and some of the characters were so exaggerated I felt like I was mentally watching a Saturday Night Live skit about stereotypical Texans. Oh well, on to another book....
Ashley
I read the 1st book to this series and thought it was cute so I decided to check out the 2nd one. At first I was a little worried it wasn't going to be that good because the book starts with different characters and I really fell for the characters in the fist book. But, it all comes together and the two new main characters the authors bring in are hilarious! This book had me laughing out loud a lot. I just loved some of the lines Paige said.
Julia Wilson
Warning - this book does include some mild adult situations, but it was so good. It had everything I love in a book - romance, flirting, meddlers, country boys, cowboys, Texas, and food. The mystery could have been a little stronger and the culprits character developed a bit more. I still don't have a handle on who this prson was. Needless to say, I have requested her other books :) (actually it is a sister team - so their books)
Suelibevg
Living in Texas sounds like a whole different planet!! I wish I could be there, life in the Midwest seems dull in comparison!! Let's just say the rich are truly different. It is fun to read about formerly rich girls having to cope in the real world. Add two southern girls who love to play private detective and meddle, a new vet who is a hunk, and horses. What else do you need?
Loreta
Again the domestic equalizers, Debbie Sue and Edwina (known affectionatly as Ed) become involved in a mystery. Although I always laugh out loud while reading this series and in one particulair part of this investigation has me laughing so hard it took me quite a while to read because my eyes kept tearing. Took me 3 pages to finally get my breath.
Love this series.
Stacey
another one of those books I got for $2.99 off B&N. It was a very fast and simple read that I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn not put down. The author had great character development and I could totally picture each character and their actions. I really liked the chemistry between Spar and Paige. This book will definetly put a smile on your face as your reading.
Beth
This is a solid entry in the same category as the other two that I've read by this author. Again, heavy on the romance, light on the mystery. So, if you're looking for solid mysteries, this isn't your book. The story, however, is interesting and well told. The author creates really vivid characters that are hard to forget and easy to like.
Linda
For light-hearted fun reading, this author is very good. Story of a rich girl cut off from her expense accounts by her father. He hopes she will be a better girl through this effort. She gets a job, meets a man, makes new friends, and changes her life for the better. In her doing these things, there is laughter all the way!
Fay Ann Hollcroft
More of a 3.5 for me. But I just couldn't rate it here as a 3 instead of a 4 due to the continuous laughing I did. I laughed so hard one time I almost peed my pants while my eyes were crying. Naw just kidding, but it did get to a point it took 20 min. to finish 2 paragraphs involving Edwina & a horse. These girls are GREAT!!
Jan Aldergate
I picked this book up secondhand mainly because the title appealed to me. It was classified as a mystery, but described as a novel. It was quite funny, along the lines of Janet Evanovitch or Jennifer Crusie. I will definitely read some of the other books when I need an upbeat light read. Very funny.
Karen Hansen
Cute book. The characters are likeable and many parts were funny. My main problem with it was although it had tons of conflict, it was all resolved far too easily. Everything seemed a little too convenient. It's a good light, summer book. Nothing too great, but worth spending an afternoon reading.
Sandie
I enjoyed this book, but out of the three that I have read from the series of 5 at last count this was my least favorite. Again, the main characters are the same wonderful women from the first book and I did enjoy them and their antics, just not the storyline so much for this book.
Patricia
I liked this book. I like the new characters added. the rich girl and the vet. Now I'm wondering what took me so long to read it. The mystery of the horse stealing took only a couple chapters at the end, they mentioned through out the book, but not as the main topic.

Erin
A fun, fast read, but not the sort of thing I usually go for. Just not enough to the story for my liking. Reminded me more of Nicholas Sparks than Janet Evanovich... the first Dixie Cash I read had a lot more humor in it than this one. Fun for a quick, light romance-y read.
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Dancing Shoes and Honky-Tonk Blues
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Texas Cooking
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes
  • The Red Hot Cajun (Cajun, #4)
  • Pushing Up Bluebonnets (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #5)
  • Much Ado in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #3)
  • On the Couch
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Sweet Water
  • The Road to Cardinal Valley
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • My Give a Damn's Busted (Honky Tonk, #3)
  • The Last True Cowboy
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
Dixie Cash is Pamela Cumbie and her sister Jeffery McClanahan. They grew up in West Texas during the great oil boom, an era filled with "real-life fictional" characters who cry to be written about. Pam has always had a zany sense of humor, and Jeffery has always had a dry wit. Surrounded by cowboys and steeped in country-western music, when they can stop laughing long enough, they work together cr...more
More about Dixie Cash...
Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1) Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4) I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3) Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5) Our Red Hot Romance Is Leaving Me Blue (Domestic Equalizers)