Start by marking “My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)” as Want to Read:

My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,153 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews

Welcome to Salt Lick, Texas, home of big hair,
big ranches, and two of the biggest busybodies ever
to wield a blow-dryer—Debbie Sue and Edwina,
also known as the Domestic Equalizers. Their motto:
Don't run over him—get over him! Their mission:
Track down and expose your straying man. And they
won't stop until female domestic justice is served.

Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina
Published August 29th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 18th 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane AustenI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
2,466 books — 2,410 voters
Recipes for Disaster by Tess RaffertyReinventing Mona by Jennifer CoburnBad Heiress Day by Allie PleiterMy Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great by Dixie CashKeep the Faith by Candy Harper
Curlers
7 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Cindy
Dec 28, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it
Funny, quick read. I really like this humorous romance with a touch of mystery. Although the recurring characters are Ed(wina) and Debbie Sue of Domestic Equalizers, this story revolves around Paige, a rich daddy's girl who gets a job as a horse handler at a West Texas ranch. She meets Spur, a former Aggie football star and a new vet for the area. He's barely scraping by in his new practice. The sparks fly between them and even though you know how it will end, it's fun getting there.

Quotes to re
Jane
Oct 01, 2008 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Fun, frivolous and feisty, Southern chick lit always focuses on scrappy women refusing to sit back and take s**t, getting on with their lives even when -- yes -- their hearts are breaking. That's what Texas hairdressers/sleuths Edwina and Debbie Sue help Paige accomplish in this tale of heiresses, horse-napping and hijinks. Dixie Cash doesn't write serious literature, but the sisters behind the pen name (Pamela Cumbie & Jeffery McClanahan) create fun reads that help feisty ladies, Southern o ...more
Krystal
Aug 29, 2007 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Dixie Cash's books are a bit of guilty pleasure. They may not be the most well written books, and focus a little too much on the romance for my taste, but the team that writes these books do have an undeniable funny bone between them. Yeah, you know how it ends, but the quirks are why I read them. All in all, as good as I expected.
Ashley
Sep 05, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
This was an adorable book about a spoiled young girl who finds herself in the last place she would have ever imagined: a small town called Salt Lick. This is a great love story with a hint of mystery.
Marian Sykes
Nov 28, 2016 Marian Sykes rated it really liked it
I think this series is very cute and funny. The leading ladies always seem to get in a pickle but find they way out while enjoying cocktails and manicures. Just an old fun read.
Kathy Wheeler
Oct 07, 2016 Kathy Wheeler rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I was beginning to wonder if it was even a Domestic Equalizer book as we are many chapters in before Debbie Sue and Edwina even show up. On top of that, the mystery they are supposed to solve is just tossed in and doesn't even get going until chapter 23. As usual, the misunderstandings between the two people readers are supposed to hope fall in love are stupid and their assumptions about each other's actions are ridiculous -- so ridiculous that I couldn't bring myself to care ...more
Vickie
May 23, 2010 Vickie rated it it was amazing
O...M...G!!! Yeah, I know, I've been starting quite a few of latest blog reviews with this, but this book totally deserves the OMG, I swear!

This was the perfect listen, snort laugh funny, excellent characters I could easily dig, and a good mystery with no murder. Missing horses was the main investigation along with the cheating husbands that are par for the two Domestic Investigators.
Main story was Paige McBride and her getting over herself to become a charming young woman...she had a trek to
M
Dec 14, 2016 M rated it it was amazing
kooky but fun read.
Fiona
Nov 23, 2012 Fiona rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, texas
What a fun book.

Paige seemed like a snooty bitch at the beginning of the novel. By then end, she had "found herself" and was a really good person.

Edwina & Debbie Sue are hair sylists in Salt Lick, Texas, a small town in west Texas. They also own a detective agency called Domestic Equalizers. They've promised their husbands that they would not engage in any violence or real trouble so their main business is taking photos of errant husbands.

Paige is a wealthy girl living off her father's wea
Kathleen Hagen
I may be Broken-Hearted but my Hair Still Looks Great, by Dixie Cash, A-minus, narrated by Peggity Price, produced by Lone Star Books, a division of Recorded Books, and downloaded from audible.com.

This is the first book in the Dixie Cash series about Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin, beauty operators in the best and only beauty shop in Salt Lick, Texas who moonlight as the “Domestic Equalizers” detective agency. Their answering message for the detective agency is: “Domestic Equali
Stacey
Sep 02, 2010 Stacey rated it liked it
Nice, quick read. Especially after Atonement; this is what I needed. No thought involved. Nada. While I enjoyed the story, it didn't really fall true to the back cover. It seemed to me to promise horse thefts and more about the Domestic Equalizers, but the story was narrated by the two love interests with maybe three two-page chapters from the horse thief's perspective. And, never from Debbie Sue or Edwina's that I recall. Which in the end I probably enjoyed more. I also wasn't a big fan of the ...more
Lori
Jul 07, 2015 Lori rated it liked it
When under stress, I tend to find a book and disappear. The title looked fun, so I grabbed it off my shelf of books my sister had passed along. It's an easy, read in a day, type of book that was very funny at times. I would have liked to have seen the natural progression of the book to be more than a few weeks time frame, and the villain of the story is only mentioned once or twice, so by the end of the book, I was going "who was that again?" However, I love the recipes in the back and will be d ...more
Allison
Jul 26, 2009 Allison rated it did not like it
Uh...

Well, take one Mary Sue with a daddy who happens to be mind-blowingly rich, one poor but swoon-inducing (at least - i think he is. I don't remember ever actually reading a description of him that wasn't totally and depressingly generic) studly cowboy veterinarian, stick both in a tiny town in Texas and stir.

Add two raunchy hairdressers, one horse thief, pages and pages of small-town, alcohol-induced drama and you have - this. "My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great."

I'd give
Anne Hawn Smith
This is the second book in the series and Debbie Sue Overstreet and her friend, Edwina, are still running their beauty shop and the detective agency "Domestic Equalizers." The agency's business is all about tracking down erring spouses and getting the goods on them, so the pair find it a challenge to try to discover why neighboring horses are going missing. A spoiled little rich girl turns into a friend and horse lover and catches the eye of the new bachelor vet, Spur Atwater, and the four of th ...more
Amy
May 04, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Fun story about a rich Texan party girl who finally ticks Daddy off one time too many. He decides the best way to force her to be responsible is to cut her off financially. She gets herself into some pretty funny predicaments while learning about independence in a small town in West Texas. Taking part in a sting operation on a probable horse thief, getting a job at McDonald's and befriending the local hairdresser/detectives lend to some memorable scenes. She finds the love of a lifetime despite ...more
Jessica
Mar 26, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
Trite, stereotypical, almost offensive characters and dialogue nearly turned me away from this book after only 25 pages. The authors (Dixie is, of course, a pen name) are from Texas according to the bio in the back, but they do a disservice with their portrayal of the characters. According to them, people say things "little filly" and "darlin" and "no you didn't" in common conversation. The plot is too familiar as well. I would compare the love story to Pride and Prejudice but that would potenti ...more
Ashley
Aug 05, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I read the 1st book to this series and thought it was cute so I decided to check out the 2nd one. At first I was a little worried it wasn't going to be that good because the book starts with different characters and I really fell for the characters in the fist book. But, it all comes together and the two new main characters the authors bring in are hilarious! This book had me laughing out loud a lot. I just loved some of the lines Paige said.
Julia Wilson
Jun 23, 2012 Julia Wilson rated it it was amazing
Warning - this book does include some mild adult situations, but it was so good. It had everything I love in a book - romance, flirting, meddlers, country boys, cowboys, Texas, and food. The mystery could have been a little stronger and the culprits character developed a bit more. I still don't have a handle on who this prson was. Needless to say, I have requested her other books :) (actually it is a sister team - so their books)
Janel
May 03, 2012 Janel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What did I expect with a title like that, and my shallow attraction to a cover who's colors reminded me of Sweetarts? This book was cute, not awful, but very unfulfilling. The characters never felt real to me. The heroine of the book is a super rich, Barbie looking girl with no depth and some of the characters were so exaggerated I felt like I was mentally watching a Saturday Night Live skit about stereotypical Texans. Oh well, on to another book....
Stacey
Aug 16, 2010 Stacey rated it really liked it
another one of those books I got for $2.99 off B&N. It was a very fast and simple read that I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn not put down. The author had great character development and I could totally picture each character and their actions. I really liked the chemistry between Spar and Paige. This book will definetly put a smile on your face as your reading.
Beth
Aug 29, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
This is a solid entry in the same category as the other two that I've read by this author. Again, heavy on the romance, light on the mystery. So, if you're looking for solid mysteries, this isn't your book. The story, however, is interesting and well told. The author creates really vivid characters that are hard to forget and easy to like.
Jan Aldergate
Jun 16, 2012 Jan Aldergate rated it liked it
I picked this book up secondhand mainly because the title appealed to me. It was classified as a mystery, but described as a novel. It was quite funny, along the lines of Janet Evanovitch or Jennifer Crusie. I will definitely read some of the other books when I need an upbeat light read. Very funny.
Linda
Aug 08, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
For light-hearted fun reading, this author is very good. Story of a rich girl cut off from her expense accounts by her father. He hopes she will be a better girl through this effort. She gets a job, meets a man, makes new friends, and changes her life for the better. In her doing these things, there is laughter all the way!
Loreta
May 18, 2011 Loreta rated it really liked it
Again the domestic equalizers, Debbie Sue and Edwina (known affectionatly as Ed) become involved in a mystery. Although I always laugh out loud while reading this series and in one particulair part of this investigation has me laughing so hard it took me quite a while to read because my eyes kept tearing. Took me 3 pages to finally get my breath.
Love this series.
Suelibevg
Living in Texas sounds like a whole different planet!! I wish I could be there, life in the Midwest seems dull in comparison!! Let's just say the rich are truly different. It is fun to read about formerly rich girls having to cope in the real world. Add two southern girls who love to play private detective and meddle, a new vet who is a hunk, and horses. What else do you need?
Fay Ann Hollcroft
More of a 3.5 for me. But I just couldn't rate it here as a 3 instead of a 4 due to the continuous laughing I did. I laughed so hard one time I almost peed my pants while my eyes were crying. Naw just kidding, but it did get to a point it took 20 min. to finish 2 paragraphs involving Edwina & a horse. These girls are GREAT!!
Ollie
Jun 09, 2016 Ollie rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in a series. It is not necessary to have read the first; however, I want to read the first. This is a laugh out loud book about a small town, friendship and gossip. The horse riding adventure will make you laugh so hard that tears will run down your face. It is easy and uncomplicated. Enjoy!
Sandra
Feb 04, 2014 Sandra rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot! It was great! Great sense of humor. I love the friendship of the women and the feel of the people and where they live. I love the beauty salon as a focal point for these women who are no nonsense and great human beings. And the love for "Rocket Man", got to me. Great story.
Gizzard
Apr 14, 2014 Gizzard rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Great title, how does it go with the book? This author counts much too much on women doing stupid things for the comedic situations. This book is better than the first of the series, but not sure I will continue. The mystery was much better than the first and even more applicable to the plot. But there are much better cute and funny women's mysteries.
Rose
Oct 08, 2015 Rose rated it liked it
Not as great as the first one, but still made me laugh out loud. Debbie Sue and Edwina have a new partner in crime, Paige, who was cut off by daddy and forced to live on her own.

Romance, humor, and mystery.

Quick humorous read.
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Flirting in Cars
  • Dancing Shoes and Honky-Tonk Blues
  • Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Beauty in Black
  • Pillow Talk (Love, New Orleans Style, #2)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • The Velvet Rope Diaries
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)
  • Swimming Upstream, Slowly
  • Wild Jinx (Jinx, #3; Cajun, #7)
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • First Kiss (Bridesmaid Chronicles, #2)
  • Where Is He Now?
  • Redemption (Blood and Honor, #3)
  • Much Ado in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #3)
Dixie Cash is Pamela Cumbie and her sister Jeffery McClanahan. They grew up in West Texas during the great oil boom, an era filled with "real-life fictional" characters who cry to be written about. Pam has always had a zany sense of humor, and Jeffery has always had a dry wit. Surrounded by cowboys and steeped in country-western music, when they can stop laughing long enough, they work together cr ...more
More about Dixie Cash...

Domestic Equalizers (8 books)
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
  • Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)
  • Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5)
  • Our Red Hot Romance Is Leaving Me Blue (Domestic Equalizers)
  • I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave
  • You Can Have My Heart, but Don't Touch My Dog (The Domestic Equalizers Book 8)