The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  16 reviews
James Duran no longer fits in the world. At forty-five years old, his wife has left him, and his job as a pre-press technician was not just downsized, it was completely eliminated.

With no reason to stay in the world, James makes plans to jump in front of the train that took him to work every day for twenty-five years. But before he does, he’s finally going to introduce hi...more
Published March 2009 by Amber Quill Press/ Amber Allure

Bareback by Chris OwenFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneCut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Curtis Reincarnation by Zathyn Priest
Best Gay Tear Jerker with a Happy Ending
107th out of 386 books — 661 voters
Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
232nd out of 478 books — 758 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
This book was pretty short. It's only about 58 pages or so. For such a short story, it had a pretty serious plot. Too me, it's a solid 3.5 stars, but I'll bump it up to 4 because I DID like it better than just 3.

James Duran has decided to end his life. At 45, he has lost everything. His wife, his job and somewhere down the line he has lost himself in the process. Tired of being unhappy, he plans to be bold and do things he wants, but was afraid to the day before he schedules his suicide. Making...more
Ayu Puspita Sari
2,5 stars

Actually this is a good premise for a story. James, who had lost his mediocre job at a publisher company and wife at the same time, felt like his life was worthless and decided to end his life in a train he usually took to his office. Felt like he could do anything for the last time, he braved himself to confront the man who always took the same train with him everyday, the man who got his attention from the first time he set his eyes on him. He decided that he would have Chad company f...more
Jimmy Hanson
Kind of bland and pretty predictable, this short story held the possibility of a lot of promise. From the idea, it could have gone in many different ways - all unique, and all good.

The only true upside is the chemistry between Chad and James. The sex scene[s:] were spot-on, and left me wanting more.

I would have enjoyed a scene or two where Chad worked through the truth of James and his suicide attempt, or a bit more emotion and conflict within James himself over the end of his life.

A decent rea...more
Kati
A short, but deeply moving story about a man who decides to commit suicide - but first, he wants to talk to the gorgeous guy who rides on the same train with him every morning. A good portion of this ebook consists of sex, slightly kinky one to that, but it's not a PWP. John, the obsolete man, is such a likable character that some parts of his story, his loneliness, his despair, moved me to tears, literally. On the other hand, the description of the happiness that he finds with Chad, the gorgeou...more
Michael
This short story packs a lot in it's limited space.

Other reviewers have already summed up the story but I'd like to add a comment.

One of the best things about this story is that it grips you until the very end. The character of James may be about to take his own life by jumping in front of a train...will he or won't he? Each page turned is like that approaching train. Can James be saved?
OkayKim
I'm giving this a 4.5
Even though it had a dark theme, it just goes to show that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Things work out, if allowed, and this just isn't fiction when it comes to real life!
Pepper, this one needs a follow-up!
Julia
I thought the writing was really good, the plot was sad and sweet and kept me interested. I would probably call it erotica, but at the same time, none of the sex felt forced or out of place. Very well done. I really enjoyed this quick read.
Kira
Jan 25, 2011 Kira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m

So, this is a fast read, extremely angsty and you don't really know how it's going to end, which is good. You hope for the positive ending but are afraid of the negative. That's all I'm really going to say. A nice read indeed.
Rod
Unbelievably good for a short story. Takes you on a story where unlikely risks lead to a chance of redemption.
Alina
2.5

Entirely too short to deal with the subject matter (extreme depression, desire for suicide) appropriately.
Kristy Maitz
Story plot is to short to gave the book 5 stars but even so its full of emotions and reason to just not giving up.
Lenore
For such a short read, this was surprisingly good. Simple but not seeking to be anything more than that. Beautiful.
Charles
I liked the story, unfortunatly it was too short :(

The dialoge was funny
Arzu
This is a nice quick read I really liked!!
Aleksandr Voinov
Nice one. I enjoyed this.
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
sassygirl
sassygirl marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
  • Furtive Liaison
  • Daybreak
  • The Other Man
  • Easy
  • Thaw in Winter (Thaw, #1)
  • Hot Weather
  • When Love Comes Back Around
  • The Elf and Shoemaker
  • Foreshock
  • In a Wolf's Eyes
  • After Dark (After, #1)
  • The French Have a Word for It
  • Lola Dances
Pepper Espinoza has published several books with Liquid Silver Books, including The Zebra Wore Fishnets and The Zebra Wore Red Stockings, Amber Quill Press, Whiskey Creek Press, and Samhain Publishing. She currently lives in Utah with her husband and two cats. She hopes to complete her Masters degree in Literature in May, 2008.

Ms. Espinoza also collaborates with Vivien Dean, and they publish as Ja...more
More about Pepper Espinoza...
My Only Home (My Only Home, #1) Quarterback Sneak If All The Sand Were Pearl The Prince Who Never Smiled Pisces: From Behind That Locked Door (Boys of the Zodiac, #12)