Start by marking “Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)

Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  490 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Kineas must challenge theman he once worshipped in the second entry in the Tyrant series

Published January 22nd 2009 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Tyrant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyrant

Mr. Matt
Aug 11, 2014 Mr. Matt rated it liked it
Kineas and his companions are back. Alexander the Great is smarting from his captain's defeat and vows to subdue the Eastern Scythians on the Sea of Grass. Kineas and Srayanka - his Western Scythian woman - have vowed to aid their Eastern allies. And so begins an epic trek across the Ancient World.

Again, the author captures the feel of the ancient world. The distances involved are staggering. Crossing from Crimea to the Caspian sea is an unbelievable journey. Cameron captures the spirit of this
Chris F
This was not in my view as good as the first in the series. The thing that spoilt it somewhat for me was the main character's frequent dreams about his impending death. I found the dreams boring and just an interruption to an otherwise interesting story.
María Olvera
Jun 18, 2015 María Olvera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sabría decir si me gustó más o menos que el primer libro de la serie, porque me parecieron esencialmente diferentes. El primer libro era más "joven", por decirlo de alguna manera.
Lo bueno de éste libro fue que lo sentí más seguro, Kineas y compañía parecen sentirse más identificados con los demás y empiezan a sentar cabeza. En ese sentido los personajes me parecieron más realizados, además de que continúa con el realismo que le dio a la primera parte.
No hay detalles de manera exagerada, sólo
Jerry Bennett
May 06, 2015 Jerry Bennett rated it really liked it
I read this book immediately after finishing Tyrant, and found it a really good sequel. I will definitely be reading the others in the series. It was an easy book to "visualise" with good descriptions of the landscape and the buildings in which it is set. The story never flags in any way, and the one slight downside is keeping in touch with the "second tier" of characters, some of whom tend to disappear for several chapters before re-emerging, and if you are reading the book at irregular interva ...more
Nick
Oct 06, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
Was Alexander's army ever beaten? Apparently so, by the Sycthians with the aid of some Greek heroes lead by Kineas.
Finely detailed portrait of the warriors who turned back the 'monster' at the Jaxartes river.
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing
This review is from: Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant 2)
Kineas, the Athenian cavalry commander, has come a long way since being dismissed from the army of Alexander and vengefully exiled by his own city. Together, his mercenary force and their Scythian allies have defeated a mighty Macedonian army at the Ford of the River God, and his adopted city of Olbia is now free once more. But his destiny will not allow him to enjoy the fruits of victory for long. Far to the east, at the farthest edge of th
David
Dec 06, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
This book continues to mantain the incredible and fast reading pace that the first one had. As you approach to Kineas fate you want the Gods to change destiny but at the same time you can't stop reading.
I have to say though that I found some of the dreams Kineas had a little long, but despite that, the book amazed me!
Fenella Miller
Mar 22, 2014 Fenella Miller rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Tyrant series and I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one. It wasn't quite as good as the first book but I was so invested in the characters and it helped me to the last page. However, I do admit that there were passages I skipped in order to get on with story.
Stefan
Jun 14, 2015 Stefan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Tyrant: Storm of Arrows is the second book in an excellent series of historical novels. Christian Cameron has made good use of details, mental imagery, narrative, dialogue, plot, and setting to vividly bring to life the ancient world of Alexander the Great and his empire. This story continues where Tyrant left off, and is in a number of ways, better then its predecessor. Storm of Arrows is a powerful, exciting, and fascinating epic tale because the author writes in such a readable and engaging m ...more
Brian
Oct 04, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing
While I was still distracted by my TV binging and work, I enjoyed this second novel in the series a lot more than the first. I need a break from historical fiction, but I will definitely be reading the rest of the series in the not-too-distant future.
Chuck
Jun 11, 2015 Chuck rated it liked it
Cameron's battle scenes are exciting, but the rest of the book tends to plod along.
Kevin
Jan 04, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
See my review of Tyrant book 1 if you really want to know what I thought of the series.
Ron Decaigny
Jul 04, 2010 Ron Decaigny rated it it was amazing
In my opinion there are a few great Historical fiction series that really tie you up in the times and characters being portrayed, Cornwalls Aurthirian trilogy, Gemmells Troy trilogy come to mind. Camerons Tyrant series easily ranks with these. No stereotyped characters to be found here, everyone is well drawn with a complete individual personality. I really like these people. I am usually put off by fantasy but the use of "the dream tree" worked for me as well. The author being Canadian hits a b ...more
Ruth
Mar 04, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Jerome
Jan 20, 2014 Jerome rated it liked it
Enjoyed it...entertaining...but I still like Mary Renault and Peter Green more. Christian Cameron's portrayal of Alexander and his companions didn't convince me.
Liam
Feb 15, 2012 Liam rated it really liked it
I don't know what it is about historical fiction but nothing drives me to read it, but once I get started I really enjoy it. I've picked up two of Christian's books now and they are fantastic. The level of detail is amazing with out getting bogged down in a Homeric description of tabards and spears. If you're a bit on the fence about historical fiction pick up one of the Tyrant series and get in 25 pages. You'll enjoy it.
Mark
Oct 02, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
So close to being a 5 star book. the ONLY thing I didn't like about the book is it's portrayal of Alexander. While Alexander possesses many, many, many. many great qualities, I admit he did have some flaws (hubris, egomania, etc). Storm of Arrows only shows Alexander's negative qualities. It failed to show any of the things that made Alexander, ...well,.... Great!
Joseph Sellors
May 22, 2014 Joseph Sellors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sterling effort from Cameron, who ranks among my favourite historical fiction authors. His ability to create strong characters and an atmosphere, especially during battle scenes is second to none. Indeed the book only fails to gain 5 stars due to its slow start. Nevertheless, I look forward to the next book in the series.
Liviu

A very powerful conclusion to the first part of the series (now scheduled to go 5 not 3 as I thought); the author site has a lot of information about the books and their setting as well as some short stories set both before and after these two volumes. I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Katie Boggs
Nov 08, 2010 Katie Boggs rated it liked it
Not Cameron's best work...but I was completely immersed in the plot and couldn't stop reading. The character Philokles is one of the most 3-dimensional characters I have ever met in a book and fascinates me. I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
Venetia Green
May 31, 2012 Venetia Green rated it really liked it
fantastic depth of research, great characterisation (if at times a bewildering number of characters), but a plot that lacks forward movement throughout most of the book
Pete
Jun 30, 2012 Pete rated it really liked it

Same as last book ,it only really gets moving about half way through. But still enjoyed it.
james Dean
May 28, 2015 james Dean rated it it was amazing
Perfection as far as im concerened, cant wait to continue the saga.
Margareth8537
Sep 24, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it it was amazing
The pace does't let up. Very exciting book moving across a continent
Paul Bennett
Jun 10, 2014 Paul Bennett rated it it was amazing
full review of this riveting tale coming soon :-)
Joel
Mrs Lisa Johnston
Mrs Lisa Johnston rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Chinedu Nkiruka
Chinedu Nkiruka rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Adding a short story to Series 7 23 Jan 16, 2016 01:31PM
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • False God of Rome (Vespasian, #3)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Hannibal: Fields of Blood (Hannibal, #2)
  • Avenger of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #3)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
Aka Miles Cameron. Also publishes as Gordon Kent with his father Kenneth M. Cameron.

Christian Cameron was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1962. He grew up in Rockport, Massachusetts, Iowa City, Iowa,Christian Cameron and Rochester, New York, where he attended McQuaid Jesuit High School and later graduated from the University of Rochester with a degree in history.

After the longest undergraduate
More about Christian Cameron...

Tyrant (6 books)
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • Tyrant: King of the Bosporus (Tyrant, #4)
  • Tyrant: Destroyer of Cities (Tyrant, #5)
  • Tyrant: Force of Kings (Tyrant #6)