Start by marking “The Deeper Journey: The Spirituality of Discovering Your True Self” as Want to Read:
The Deeper Journey: The Spirituality of Discovering Your True Self

The Deeper Journey: The Spirituality of Discovering Your True Self

As you journey deeper in the Christian pilgrimage, you come to realize that the Christian life is more than merely replicating particular spiritual disciplines or practices. You begin to understand that at the core of Christian faith is the transformation of your very identity. M. Robert Mulholland Jr. exposes the false selves that you may be tempted to hide behind and ...more
Published February 13th 2006 by IVP Books (first published January 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Deeper Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deeper Journey

Jon
May 05, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to go significantly deeper in the process of having Christ formed in them
I wouldn't recommend this as an introduction to spiritual formation--Mulholland's Invitation to a Journey and Willard & Simpsons' Revolution of Character are great places to start. But if you are ready for a deeper journey with the Holy Spirit into transformation in the depths of your character, this book offers powerful help. I'm currently on my second or third read-through.

Mulholland starts each chapter with a brief prayer. As soon as I started reading/praying the opening prayer for chapte
Emily
Jun 17, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
I found this book extremely helpful in identifying some of my own underlying issues. The first half of the book focuses on identifying the "false self" and especially the "religious false self" which is the identity that we foster apart from Jesus. Mulholland does a great job of describing the characteristics of these false selves and diagnosing some of the many lies we believe about our identities.

The second half of the book deals with breaking down these lies using truths from Scripture. I li
Ian
There is so much packed into these 160 pages. It's a book that is to be read slowly as every page is full of wisdom and is written in such a way that it challenges you to stop, think and meditate on your walk with the Lord.

But what Mulholland's book stirred in me is a desire for more of God, to let go of my false-self (our self-referenced instinctive way of being), free myself of my religious false-self (the striving in us that leads us to activity fuelled by need rather than love) and step into
papasteve
Feb 05, 2015 papasteve rated it really liked it
I know this is going to sound like a pun, but this was a deep book. I've just read it in preparation for leading two small groups through the book for Lent. It's seven chapter length is perfect for that, not to mention the content. The reason I say this is a deep book is that it's not hard to read. The last chapter is a bit dense, but the rest of the book is entirely understandable. That's the problem. Coming to an understanding of your false self is hard work. While reading the chapters all of ...more
Bob
Jan 19, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I had never thought of the book of Colossians as being about the discovery of our true selves in Christ. This book, by M. Robert Mulholland is really a study of Colossians and what it means to have our lives hidden with God in Christ. And what this means is relinquish our false selves for the true self Christ wants to express in us. I particularly appreciated Mulholland's insights into the religious false self--all the ways we pursue practices of piety apart from Christ. Unsettling! I also found ...more
Garland Vance
I believe that understanding out identity in Christ is one of the most important topics for Christians. This book seeks to address this issue by helping readers understand their false self, their true self and how to continually live in the love of God to become our true selves.
So I believe the topic is very important but the book was not great. The greatest insight I took away was the authors assertion that we do not need more Christians to be "in the world for God" but need Christians to be "
David L Wilson
May 12, 2015 David L Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The false self thoroughly exposed

This book contains much insight into the ways we prevent ourselves from knowing God as the source of our being . Parts of the book are very challenging to the false self I have constructed and have lived from, but there is a way to freedom from this false self. Holland provides counsel on the journey to your true self that I find very helpful, and I expect others will also.
Emma Smith
Aug 26, 2014 Emma Smith rated it really liked it
This book is really timely and going along the season of my life continuing to learn about the false self and the true self - which is our Christ-self. The deeper journey is a loving union with God with the intention of showing that to others. Sounds so simple but in some ways challenging, we need to practice the discipline of detachment and centering everyday. I am reminded to really find Christ as my all and be satisfied and soak up in His presence so I can be available in love for others.
Brian
Dec 05, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book. Mulholland does a great job of identifying the areas in our life where we are not out true selves . I also love the balancing act he does. Specifically he identifies things we can do to become more Christ centered but then acknowledges that those very things can become part of our religious false self. I wish he would have spent more time on the putting on the new self. But, I guess in some sense the point is to be Christ centered.
Richard  Blount
Thick and deep. Mulholland does a good job of mixing deep theology, his deft understanding of Koine Greek in the Biblical text, and personal life accounts to make this a good read for the initiated disciple of Jesus Christ. Probably too much for new Christians, but for pilgrims who have been on the journey for many years and paused to wonder what else there might be, this is a good read.
Jennifer Barten
Mar 28, 2015 Jennifer Barten rated it it was ok
I read this book in a book study with members of my church, that was lead by our pastor.. Had I not had the pastor asking questions and helping along the way I would have totally hated this book. He made me see clearer what the author was trying to say but I can't imagine picking this book up on my own and being able to fully grasp it.
Leigh McLeroy
Nov 24, 2012 Leigh McLeroy rated it really liked it
I met the author a couple of years ago in a small gathering of theologians. He participation in the dialogue was thoughtful, humble, gracious and deep. I found his writing to be the same. The prayers he includes in The Deeper Journey are a helpful means to receptivity, and the idea of "cruciform love" is still rattling around in my heart. Give this one a try.
Pat
Jan 09, 2009 Pat rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking to have a more authentic relationship with God and with others.
A good book although the writing at times seemed circular and it made it challenging to read in spots. But I would still recommend it as it focuses on our false self --even the religious false self-- that we may not be aware of as we interact with others and with God.
Donald Linnemeyer
Remarkably average and fairly full of fluff. Not necessarily nonsense-fluff, just repetitive and not all that impactful. There are a handful of really helpful quotes interspersed here and there, though, so it's forth the read (it's written at a popular level, so it's skimmable).
Ryan
May 20, 2016 Ryan rated it it was ok
There is a fine point at the core of this book. It is a point that is buried under many many pages of fluff, weird examples, repetitive explanations, and [for me] unclear terminology. Did not enjoy, and will not read more from this author.
Mar 05, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it
Confusing and theoretical. He uses terms and concepts too removed from common understanding. He does this not in an intellectual way, but in a very revisionist way. He wants to revise the way people think about the Christian experience to exclude traditional Christian thought. Very confusing.
Meghan
Sep 03, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, non-fiction
I'll be honest, I got about 1/3 of the way through, read some really good things that provoked good thoughts, and then put it down. Someday maybe it will call to me again. Until then, I'm not gonna worry about it.
Will
Nov 17, 2010 Will rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable! Puts into simpler language and in a profoundly repititious way (in a building upon building sort of way)teh concepts of Dallas Willard. How to live a life of loving union with God for the world!
Bob Wolniak
Aug 04, 2015 Bob Wolniak rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
A treatise on the religious false and true self based primarily upon the biblical teaching on union in Christ passages in Colossians. Helpful prayers and reflection questions in each chapter. I was most helped in the section on putting on the new nature and the extended thoughts on idolatry.
Deitra
Dec 04, 2010 Deitra rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Really spoke to me right where I am spiritual and helping me move on to let go of my false self and embrace my true self.
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Jesy Cordle
Jesy Cordle rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Jay Miklovic
Jay Miklovic rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2011
Dale C. Poulnot
Dale C. Poulnot rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Alexander Hamilton
Alexander Hamilton rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2011
Eddy Ekmekji
Eddy Ekmekji rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2008
Donna Gersting
Donna Gersting rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Sheldon Mann
Sheldon Mann rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
  • Revolution of Character: Discovering Christ's Pattern for Spiritual Transformation
  • Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • The Two Covenants
  • Sanctuary of the Soul: Journey Into Meditative Prayer
  • Holiness by Grace: Delighting in the Joy That Is Our Strength
M. Robert Mulholland Jr. (Th.D., Harvard) is professor of New Testament at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky. He is the author of several books, including Shaped by the Word (Upper Room), Revelation (Zondervan), and the landmark spiritual formation book Invitation to a Journey (IVP).
More about M. Robert Mulholland Jr....