Start by marking “Living on Impulse” as Want to Read:
Living on Impulse

Living on Impulse

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Mia Morrow is impulsive, plain and simple. While her friends are concerned with grades and colleges, Mia would rather focus on the things that make her happy - like chasing boys or snatching something off a department store shelf. No big deal, right? But then Mia gets caught shoplifting, and her thoughtless behavior doesn't just push her friends away, it gets her into a lo ...more
Published August 20th 2009 by Dutton Juvenile (first published March 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Living on Impulse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living on Impulse

Beverly
Mia Morrow is a troubled high school sophomore. She lives with her mom and grandfather. She likes to shoplift. This is a good read for Jr. High and High School. In the first Ch. she is caught shoplifting, which she vehemently denies. When she views the tape, she quickly fabricates a story to vindicate herself. So her honesty issues are of 2 natures, telling the truth, and stealing. She does not get along with her mom and now her preppy friends are distancing themselves because of her compulsive ...more
Tori Henson
What a great book. At first I didn't think I would like it because it was a random pick but towards the end of the book it was amazing as everything came together!! Really happy how it all ended!!
Destiny
I have recently read a book called “Living on Impulse”. It was a very good book with great characters. It had a great plot as well. I will now tell you about this enjoyable book.
The plot of this book was a very good plot. It included interesting characters. It also had a satisfying ending. Some parts made me want to cry, while other parts made me want to laugh. The author was able to control the emotions the reader feels, which is always nice.
The book itself teaches a lesson. It starts the bo
Brandy
Review to come. First (and subsequent) impressions, though: meh. It was okay.

***

finally drafted my review. This isn't final, mostly because finding a polite way to say "blaaaaaaaaaaaaah" is hard to do.

Mia thinks her life is hitting bottom when she gets busted for shoplifting, but it’s about to get much worse: her two best friends announce that they’re tired of dealing with her and don’t want to be her friends anymore. Her grandfather--the person she’s closest to in the world--is in poor health.
Brynn
This is quite possibly one of the best books I've read. The character development was absolutely flawless, life lessons in the book were completely relevant and worthwhile for the younger people in our generation and the fact that the characters dealt with hardships and had to figure them out on their own was something that books no longer have or teach and I loved every page. I couldn't put it down. I definitely recommend this book to anyone
Dayna Smith
Mia is a high school student who loves to live dangerously. When she gets caught shoplifting, her mother insists she get a job to pay back the store. Mia is forced to confront the impulses in her life and look at why she does the things she does. She gets a job studying flies at the local university and starts re-building her life. Now she must also confront her beloved grandfather's impending death, her mother's alcoholism, and the possible discovery of the identity of her father. A wonderful s ...more
Millenna Zographou
The book Living on Impulse was amazing! This book conveys that without loving people in your life you will do crazy things. The problems of stealing and having to suffer her concequinces. This book is amazing because the problem, setting, and characters made the problem so realistic which is great. I just love that the problem is so realistic. This is a problem that everyone should learn from and learn not to do and how you have to suffer your consequinces.
Carmen
This book teaches you a lesson on not to to steal. The girl in this book doesn't have a care in the world of what will happen to her future. She just wants to have fun, check out boys and party all the time. Well, that all changes for her when she gets caught shoplifting. Mia Morrow learns a life lesson the hard way by having to work her butt off. In the end she realizes how things can go wrong pretty fast and not to steal.
Monica Norton
Boring characters, barely disguised moral (I'm sorry but you can find another way to say "impulsive behavior" that would be more true to a teenager's vocabulary), too-easy character development--honestly, had to skim through the last half to get an idea of how this would be wrapped up, yet a few chapters before the end stopped caring enough to even do that. Obviously won't be placing on recommendation lists anytime soon!
Anne
3. 5 stars

Mia is a shoplifter; she loves the excitement and the rush from stealing things. Then she gets caught and has to find a job in order to pay back the store for a $300 pair of shoes. She ends up working in a science lab on the college campus. In addition, She is dealing with an alcoholic mother and a dying grandfather. Lots of issues in this but it all ties together well enough.
Karen
Chantal
She steals. She is failing school. She dosen't have a job.
Sounds so familiar. Her mom is a perfect replica of her daughter and there is many problems with that. She was caught on tape one day, stealing a shoe and then yelling and cussing at the guard that it was her shoe.
Join her on her journey, step by step, to making her life better.
Ilovereading
An emotionally eye opening story of a teenage shoplifter. To see my full review, visit:

I review preteen, teen, young adult, and adult fiction all on the same website.
Brandi Sporleder
i enjoyed this book a lot. i liked the mystery of what was going to happen and what she would do. i also felt like i would take her problem and really get how she was feeling. i will read this book again sometime.
Estefani Chavez
Nov 12, 2009 Estefani Chavez is currently reading it
this book is about this girl that is a thief and steal stuff that she cant afford once her mom knows what kind of girl she is she lets her pay the charge of a stealer on her own!
Jess
At first I found the characters kind of wooden, but in the end I liked the fact that it was very different from most realistic fiction. Interesting message.
♬Sami☮
its is a v ery good book abiut what happened to her life and about acholics and aa meetings and with this book i got to conect to some of it
Rebecca
I read the first twenty pages or so and was almost immediatly lulled into a boredom-induced stupor. Gag, no thanks.
Dedria
This book started out really slow and I must be honest when I say that I really didn't get into it at all.
Stephanie A.
An unremarkable book, but the time she spent working at the lab was interesting.
Kelly
I actually think that this book is a 4.5, but there is no way to do that.
Ichigo
this wasn't as good as i thought it would be but it wasn't bad either
Emma
I didn't really like the story until the second half of the book
Renee
Jul 27, 2011 Renee added it
Definetly one of my favorite books.
Al
Al marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Makylee
Makylee marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Michael Kachekian
Michael Kachekian marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • The Carnival Ghost (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller, #3)
  • Betti on the High Wire
  • So Super Stylish (Octavia Clairbrook-Cleeve, #2)
  • Touch
  • Back Home
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
  • The Train
  • Double Dare To Be Scared: Another Thirteen Chilling Tales (Dare To Be Scared)
  • Home Truths
  • Nobody's There
  • Days of Toil and Tears: The Child Labour Diary of Flora Rutherford, Almonte, Ontario, 1887 (Dear Canada)
  • Undone
  • Head Case
  • Riot
  • Forever Changes
  • The Knight in Screaming Armor (Give Yourself Goosebumps, #9)
  • Skunk Girl