Start by marking “Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross #1)” as Want to Read:
Along Came a Spider  (Alex Cross #1)

Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  313,635 Ratings  ·  3,538 Reviews
A missing little girl named Maggie Rose.

A family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C.

The thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher.

A psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who calls himself the Son of Lindbergh. He is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him - even after he's been captured.

Ga

Published February 15th 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Along Came a Spider, please sign up.

Diana O'Dwyer The book is so much better. The movie does not stay true to the story and though one of my favorite actors, Freeman is not Alex Cross.
Bill I started to listen to this book on Audible.com. There was frequent foul language that I cannot tolerate. I don't find it suitable for me, let alone a…moreI started to listen to this book on Audible.com. There was frequent foul language that I cannot tolerate. I don't find it suitable for me, let alone a 13-year old. Are all of James Patterson's book like that?(less)

Ryan Gillespie
Jan 26, 2013 Ryan Gillespie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: james-patterson
James Patterson. The man writes a book and you read it. It's plain and simple. He knows how to write a mother-fucking story. This wasn't the first book I read but damn. The dude keeps makin' a brother come back for more. It gets even better when you're reading a book about the REAL OG: Alex Cross.

Short attention span? James Patterson's books come automatically equipped with small chapters.

Enjoy reading before bed? Forget about it. You're laying down in bed, right? HAIL NO. This shit has you on t
Edward Lorn
Jul 22, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder the literary world is polluted with so many shitty writers. They see how well this fucking hack has sold, read his work, and aspire to fucking mediocrity. James Patterson outsells Pulitzer-Prize winning authors, but his writing (I refuse to call this bullshit "prose") is barely one step above motherfucking picture books. He's detrimental to the literate world. Authors and readers alike think this shit is okay. Do you see how many five-star reviews there are on this time sink? Authors a ...more
James Lafayette  Tivendale
I am honestly speechless after reading that. Everything that a thriller should be. I am embarrassed to say that this is the first James Patterson book I have read (excluding his book shot series).

Although I was unfamiliar with his work- I think everyone who likes fiction has heard of Alex Cross.

He was one of many standout characters in this novel. Alex Cross, detective, doctor of psychology, hypnotiser, friends of the poor people when he helps out at a food shelter, respected by the black people
Sharon
Jan 07, 2017 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
This is the first book I've read in the Alex Cross series and it won't certainly be the last. James Patterson is a fabulous author as I'm sure many would agree and when it comes to writing a page turner he sure knows how to keep the reader turning the pages at a fast pace.

Along Came A Spider is a book with the lot, mystery, crime, suspense, oh and did I mention it's a cracking thriller. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this series. If you haven't read this book then do yourself
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I have been recommending this book for years. Yes, the movie adaptation was terrible…yes, some of the later Alex Cross entries were somewhat weak (I’m looking at you, “Violets Are Blue”). But the first book of the Alex Cross series is still an amazing read. What really made this book work for me was the antagonist, Gary Soneji. He’s chilling and creepy, yet he’s still utterly fascinating. The game of cat-and-mouse between Alex Cross and Gary Soneji is gripping and exciting.

However, the book is n
LJ
Sanjay Gautam
It was a few years back that I read Along Came The Spider. I found the plot is predictable just like those typical Hollywood thriller movies. I could not find the book much engrossing, and was rather disappointed by the climax which was a cliched twist, and ruins whatever was, if any, good in the plot before. It was only the psychopathic villain, Gary Soneji, that appealed to me. Whereas Alex Cross, the detective, was very boring. All in all, it was a below average read which I would not recomme ...more
Sue
Dec 14, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ALONG CAME a SPIDER (Alex Cross, #1) is the classic thriller that launched the Alex Cross series, the #1 detective series of the past twenty-five years! Excellent book. full of action and a ending I never saw coming! This novel is a game of cat-and-mouse between Detective Alex Cross and psychopathic villain,Gary Soneji, and will have you flipping the pages to see what will happen next.
Mary Statza
Nov 08, 2010 Mary Statza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, where do I begin? This book inspired me to write a literary review for English class discussing why a a book like this should NEVER have made it onto the bestsellers list.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS BOOK OR THE ALEX CROSS SERIES, PLEASE DON'T CONTINUE!!
Some major points include:
* Alex Cross is an incredibly boring, cliché, slightly-racist, unrealistic character
* The italicization of random words without regards to taste or context
* Incredible off-putting love scenes
* Boring, repetitive text,
Solim
Jul 06, 2012 Solim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I watched the movie starring Morgan Freeman before reading this book which sort of ruined it for me but trust me I learned my lesson. The only thing the movie got right was the name of the characters, and the main theme/plot of the book which was the kidnapping. I could not believe how off the movie was compared to the book, but enough about that. This was probably the most I was engaged into a mystery/thriller/suspense book since I read A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton which got m ...more
Lynn
Jan 31, 2012 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book had a very interesting plot and a decent cover.

That's about it. What a major disappointment this was. I guess it goes to show you just how good an actor Morgan Freeman is. Hell, he drove Ms. Daisy around for two hours and made it seem fun, and he made the movie version of this very watchable. Sadly, he was not around to act out the novel for me.

By the way, the cover isn't really that cool, I was just being polite.
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few Alex Cross books now and decided it was time I read the very first one to see how it all began. I am very glad I did because I found this to be an excellent book. It has a fast paced and exciting story which has the reader guessing from the first page and then it ends with quite a remarkable twist which I did not see coming. I sat up very late finishing it because I just could not put it down! Altogether a really good read.
Kelsey
Jan 02, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bargain-buys
Watched the film ages ago, before reading the book. Initially I was quite shocked at how much the film differed from the book. Then I wondered why they changed it for the film. The book had a much better storyline, deeper and more complex characters and it would have translated well into a film.

As is often the case, the book was better than the film. 5 stars without a doubt.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Really 3.5 I figured out very early one of the antagonists so there's that
But for a first exposure to Patterson I'm pleased. I will read the rest of the series
Entre mis libros y yo
2,5. Entretenido y de fácil lectura. Mi reseña http://entremislibrosyo.blogspot.com....
Laurence
I was going to say that it started of well, but then I realised that it was only because I thought the beginning sucked the least. I mean, if you want to read a story with unbelievably cringe-worthy romance lines, pointless and unnecessary racism and a script that only added to the unrealisticness of the characters, then by all means, throw your money away on this book.
The beginning kept me going for a while because I thought it had a pretty decent storyline (probably the only good point about t
Aug 27, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing about library borrowing is that you can check out books that you never would buy. It is actually kind of freeing. And, if there aren't any good books available as ebooks, you can use the opportunity to check out books that you wouldn't have read otherwise. Books such as as Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

Now, I know that popular fiction is popular for a reason. But these authors who just pump out book after book after book, each book so similar to the last, tend to get tedious.
Nicola
Still remains the best James Patterson book I've read to date- even tops the Maximum Ride series. It's exciting, and absolutely terrifying. I honestly had trouble sleeping for a week after reading this. Very powerful storytelling.
Manugw
Oct 30, 2011 Manugw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a dissapoinment

How can somebody can write a book so boring, after this book I will never choose any Patterson work again
Janel
Oct 07, 2016 Janel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Along Came a Spider introduces us to Detective Alex Cross as he hunts serial killer Gary Soneji/Murphy. This was my first book by James Patterson, he is an extremely well established author and from this book, I can see why. The plot is action packed, and there were some very suspenseful elements along the way which kept me reading well into the night! Particularly relating to the character of Soneji/Murphy – Patterson wrote both Murphy (a normal loving husband) and Soneji (a heartless serial ki ...more
Jane Stewart
It was well done, but I wasn’t emotionally consumed.

The plot, the events, and actions were very well done. I was surprised and pleased. The book definitely kept my interest. The main reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because I didn’t smile. I think of Grisham who takes me to the 5 star level. He writes a similar genre, but he makes me smile, either at the intriguing characters, or the “wow that is so exciting” when being chased or trapped or wondering if the hero will survive.

At times I felt im
Marnie
Dec 07, 2008 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda McGill
Sep 19, 2016 Amanda McGill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
My husband is a huge fan of the Alex Cross series. So of course, he told me that I HAD to read at least the first novel in the series. I clearly didn't love it as much as he did, but it was a good read.

Alex Cross is a super smart doctor/detective. He has met his match in killer, Gary Soneji. Soneji is the classic villain, he doesn't care about anyone and wants to be someone. He won't stop at anything less then being famous for his crimes. Cross is the opposite, he cares about everyone and wants
Matt Garcia
May 17, 2015 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taut, suspenseful read with a very efficient writing style. Cross is an endearing character with flaws that we can latch on to and the action is continuous and riveting at times. Very enjoyable novel with interesting characters and thrilling plot. A well-crafted action-laden tale.
Doms Candels
Jul 24, 2013 Doms Candels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creeper, messed-up, deaths
Weird and wonderful....just like me.
Kathy Davie
Sep 20, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
For some reason, Amazon refused to post this review, and I can't see why. If anyone can figure it out, let me know.

First in the Alex Cross thriller series and revolving around Alex, a Washington D.C. detective with a background in psychology.

My Take
This is one of the few stories in which the movie adaptation is better. It wasn't until almost the end that Along Came a Spider started to more closely resemble the movie. Yeah, I usually hate it when a movie leaves out so much of the book, but in thi
Benjamin Stahl
Jun 27, 2016 Benjamin Stahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I get started, let me just say that Along Came A Spider was an incredibly fun and entertaining book.

That’s coming from a former Patterson hater. I’ve only finished one of his other books. If you were to read my thoughts on You’ve Been Warned, which he co-wrote with Howard Roughan, fucking you would know how biased and negative I was regarding Patterson’s work. And look, I consider myself a serious reader and so I won’t sit here and say he’s an amazing talent at his craft. I have read muc
Sifat
May 07, 2017 Sifat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect crime-thriller story. 👌

Along Came a Spider starts with the twofold capturing of the girl of a well known Hollywood on-screen character and the youthful child of the secretary of the Treasury. What's more, that is just the start! Gary Soneji is a dangerous serial criminal who needs to perpetrate the wrongdoing of the century. Alex Cross is the splendid murder investigator set against him. Jezzie Flanagan is the female administrator of the Secret Service who finishes a standout amongst
brianna
Mar 08, 2016 brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad. But not bad in an angry-making way where you want to throw it in a fire, bad in a Nic Cage movie way where it's just so unapologetically terrible that it's both unintentionally hilarious and entertaining in a strangely endearing way. Like, you have to finish it even though you're like "what am I doing with my life right now, I only have a limited time of being alive and yet I can't stop reading this".

If you pay any attention whatsoever to the plot, you will have lots of que
Emily
Dec 15, 2015 Emily added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I've put down books before because they couldn't keep my interest, but I think this is the first book where I don't intend to ever pick it back up. I couldn't get past the first few pages. Just, no.
James Patterson Books 4 5 Jun 14, 2017 12:21PM
Why Do People Like Patterson? 13 144 Feb 26, 2017 08:38AM
James Patterson recommendations 4 30 Apr 14, 2016 06:55AM
2017 Reading Chal...: Along Came a Spider by James Patterson 1 14 Nov 05, 2015 07:57PM
Reading Addicts: November BOTM#1-Along Came a Spider 1 13 Nov 02, 2015 01:41AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Along Came a Spider by James Patterson 2 35 Nov 01, 2015 02:41PM
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2)
  • Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)
  • Iron Orchid (Holly Barker, #5)
  • M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
  • Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11)

“I never miss a good chance to shut up” 43 likes
“What do you talk about to a murderer, and someone you loved, over a perfect dinner and cocktails? I wanted to know so many things, but I couldn't ask any of the real-questions pounding in my head. Instead, we talked of the coming vacation days, a "plan" for the
here and now in the islands.”
5 likes