A Spark of Heavenly Fire

A Spark of Heavenly Fire

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In quarantined Colorado, where hundreds of thousands of people are dying from an unstoppable disease called the red death, insomniac Kate Cummings struggles to find the courage to live and to love. This is a story of survival in the face of brutality, government cover-up, and public hysteria. It is also a story of love: lost, found and fulfilled.
Published May 8th 2009 by Smashwords Edition (first published November 23rd 2008)

Karen
A spark of heavenly fire.
The red death epidemic has hit the state of Colorado and there is a quarantine and Marshall law. Along with merely staying alive; three women manage to thrive and show how strong they really are in the face of adversity. Kate, Dee and Pippy show what it takes to get through the worst. That indeed is a spark of heavenly fire. Kate and Dee work tirelessly to provide for the homeless and a purpose and merely try to save people. Pippy, miles from home must find a way to get...more
Bonnie Toews
Pat Bertram is an author who portrays in-depth characters dealing with catrastophic mayhem in twisted tales of suspense and adventure. For new authors wanting to learn how to write good mysteries, A SPARK OF HEAVENLY FIRE is a study on its own.
Linda
At the beginning, the state of Colorado was where 'Red Death' was set in motion. One minute, everything was normal. Then the unthinkable happens: a sweeping infectious monstrosity spreads rapidly. Within a few days, the area was cut off and its citizens were cloistered. Gas was at a premium, food was worth killing for and family member was pit against family member. Humanity had sunk to an all-time low.

Kate Cummings was a 42 year-old childless widow. She witnessed the spread of the disease when...more
Glenda Bixler
Mar 21, 2011 Glenda Bixler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed-books
This is an absolutely amazing book!

I was blown away with her first book that I read, Daughter Am I, but thought I now knew a little about this writer...not so! A Spark of Heavenly Fire...surprising, exciting, realistic, scary, and wonderful all at the same time...

OK, here's the basic storyline...

Kate Cummings works at a clinic, where she is the first to talk to patients, finding out why they are there and gathering information from them. On a personal level, she has lost a loved one and finding...more
Dellani Oakes
Kate Cummings works in a medical clinic as a patient advocate. Since the death of her husband, she's led a quiet, uneventful life. All that changes when a jogger in the park falls on her, hemorrhages and dies. This event is strange enough, but when the same symptoms appear in a woman at the clinic, Kate realizes that something more is going on.

At the park, Kate meets Greg Pullman, a reporter for the newspaper. He's somewhat younger than she, but they click on many different levels. When his fian...more
Sheila
I tried using Google today. I wanted to find the author of some half-remembered books that I enjoyed as a teenager. And amazingly enough I succeeded. It seems even I can successfully ask ill-defined questions of the internet and get a well-defined answer.

The author’s name is John Creasy, and I loved all his books, but the ones I was trying to remember were the Dr. Palfrey series. They were among my first “adult” borrowings from the local library when I was a kid. I couldn’t believe real grown-up...more
Aaron Lazar
Who says you can't squeeze romance into a thriller? And while you're at it, how about weaving in a deeply moving story about human redemption?

Author Pat Bertram says you can. And she'll convince you before you can say chimera - the lethal combination of virus, bacterium, fungus, and human genes that causes the rapid spread of the "red death," a bio-engineered weapon threatening the entire state of Colorado.

Kate Cummings is trying to deal with the loss of her husband, who drove his car off a moun...more
Katherine Marie
A great 2nd novel by Pat. Great suspense with twists and turns that leave you wanting resolutions before you put the book down and turn off the light, you might end up having to forgo sleep to get to end.
Charlotte
Not a bad story...but but but. I love post-apocolyptic stories - but a common mistake authors fall into with it is to immediately lose the sense of horror - their characters hardly react to dead bodies piling up around them - Bertram did this from the get-go. And this book was so badly edited that it is astonishing. Someone made the author chop this up without any concern for the reader's ability to follow the story and understand the characters...fortunately, I didn't care enough about any of t...more
Pat Bertram *
Mar 27, 2009 Pat Bertram * added it  ·  (Review from the author)
In quarantined Colorado, where hundreds of thousands of people are dying from an unstoppable disease called the red death, insomniac Kate Cummings struggles to find the courage to live and to love. Her new love, investigative reporter Greg Pullman, is determined to discover who unleashed the deadly organism and why they did it, until the cost — Kate’s life — becomes more than he can pay.
Second Wind Publishing
A flu-like plague, the Red Death, of apocalyptic proportions descends on Denver and the state of Colorado. This is a story of survival in the face of brutalty, governmental cover-up and public hysteria. It's also a story of love: lost, found and fulfilled. Gripping, exhilarating, terrifying and exciting.
Kate
Not my cup of tea. I couldn't get past the sample.
Sandie
Sandie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Oyshi
Oyshi marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2012
Kurt
Kurt marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Mi7ch49
Mi7ch49 marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Natasha Curulli
Natasha Curulli marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
Adele Symonds
Adele Symonds marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2012
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Xiri
Xiri marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Elijah Elliott
Elijah Elliott marked it as to-read
May 12, 2012
Bfimm2002
Bfimm2002 marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Pat Bertram is a native of Colorado and a lifelong resident. When the traditional publishers stopped publishing her favorite type of book — character and story driven novels that can’t easily be slotted into a genre — she decided to write her own. Second Wind Publishing liked her style and published four of her novels. More Deaths Than One, A Spark of Heavenly Fire, Daughter Am I, and Light Bringe...more
More about Pat Bertram...
More Deaths Than One Daughter Am I Light Bringer Grief: The Great Yearning Rubicon Ranch: Riley's Story