A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories

A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Written with grace, delicate humor and a keen understanding of the female psyche are 9 portraits of black and white inhabitants of Louisiana's bayou and urban areas. Includes "A Night in Acadie," "A Respectable Woman," "The Dream of an Hour," and the title story. A masterful collection of Chopin's short stories.
Published September 24th 1996 by Dover Publications (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneThe House of Silk by Anthony HorowitzTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Fabrics
26th out of 76 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Paquita Maria Sanchez
I may be going a bit overboard as far as rating this whole collection is concerned, but I was won over by Azélie, A Respectable Woman, Désirée's Baby, and The Dream of an Hour, as they are perfect depictions of the more callous sides of ourselves that we suppress and disguise, and the heart's tendency to do what it must in order to know that it is still beating, regardless of how it will affect ourselves and those people and things that we care about. Short, ugly, and all-too-accurate, these sto...more
Petra X
This is a kind of prototype to What Not To Wear: self-esteem increases when the poor, badly-dressed person is transformed into yet another secretary-clone. Or in this case 'fitting in with the quality'. Excellent story, if you are a woman you will identify with this. Do men?
Fewlas
Il filo conduttore di questi tre racconti è la donna, ma anche il suo bisogno di libertà, quasi di fuga. Se si considera che sono stati scritti a fine ottocento dobbiamo considerarli delle vere e proprie piccole rivoluzioni. In poche pagine la Chopin riesce a racchiudere un afflato universale e interminabile, umano ma soprattutto femminile.
Bootsie
Normally I don't enjoy much from feminist culture or anything with too much purple language and girly stuff but some things are genuinely good. I didn't like all the stories, out of all of them I only liked two (the one about the guy who liked that insensitive ditz, and the story of the title). I had to give them four stars for those two though because I could relate to them. "A Pair of Silk Stockings" particularly, because sometimes if I come into a bit of money I like to go out and do things l...more
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love Kate Chopin. Her writing is so beautiful and poetic. This story, in my opinion, is about the dangers of money and material wealth and how we put too much emphasis on the so-called "finer things in life".
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting characters with interesting lives you might meet and fall in love with? You won't know if you like it unless you give it a try. You won't know if you love them unless you crack open the cover and...more
Fed
It is thought provoking to see what just a little bit of money -- $15 -- does to a person who usually does not have much to spare. Interesting to see her thought process and how, even if for a moment, she really thought that money could make her feel like someone she wanted to be; someone special.

Perhaps we all dream to live lavishly, even if it is just for one day, and feel like we have something special. However, I don't think that money makes a person rich, on the contrary, what is inside th...more
Eleanor Johnson
i read it a bit earlier today, it was alright. But i was expecting some disaster the entire way through. like someone stole her gloves,and she feels guilty. But no... she seems to kind of change half way through, with a single pair of stockings she becomes this sort of woman of the finery. When before she was worried about little kids. If anyone would be kind enough to clear up the ending that would be a big help, i still dont quite understand it. *sigh* poor stupid me! /.__.\
Parisusa
Silk Stockings: I have to be honest...I expected a different ending. Perhaps Mrs. S arriving home all dolled up only to find the raggedy dressed children hungry for dinner yet the cupboard is bare. Or getting hit and instantly killed by a cable car thus proving to the reader that greed or self indulgence doesn't pay. Perhaps I'm a cynic and prefer tragic endings.
Lisa
a short story that really captures the plight of the over-worked, over-stressed, depressed mother who wanted a bit more out of life than what she's gotten. i read this in my high school humanities class when i was supposed to be studying and it really made me realize that i did not want to have a typical adult life. it rocked my 17 year old brain.
Gogarcias8
I read this book for my English composition class and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the stories. "A Dream of an Hour", "A Pair of Silk Stocking", and "Desiree's Baby". The short stories are not uplifting I suppose, but they are memorable and startling. I guess this reveals my feminist side!
Kate
I'm a big fan of Kate Chopin, but in a few of these stories I couldn't get past the thick Creole and Cajun accents.
Little Mrs. Sommers one day found herself the unexpected possessor of fifteen dollars.
Kucing
A Respectable Woman: 'there are some battles in life which a human being must fight alone'
Henry
I can't stop reading this woman. Which is easy to say, and commit to, since she didn't write much.
Serena
How she went from this to her filth of The Awakening is incomprehensible.
Jana
I'd read a lot of these short stories in college but forgot how much I liked them.
Robert
Best stories: "A Night in Acadie" and "The Dream of an Hour"
Daniel Hutton
Realism at its finest.
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Aj
Aj marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lindsay Zollinger
Lindsay Zollinger is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
  • Big Blonde and Other Stories (Penguin 60s)
  • The Open Boat and Other Stories
  • Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings
  • The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House
  • Great Short Stories by American Women
  • An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love (Penguin Great Loves, #3)
  • The Distracted Preacher and Other Tales
  • Paycheck and Other Classic Stories
  • The Gold-Bug and Other Tales
  • The Old Forest and Other Stories
  • Selected Poems
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl...more
More about Kate Chopin...
The Awakening The Story of an Hour The Awakening and Selected Stories Desiree's Baby The Awakening and Other Stories