Start by marking “A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories” as Want to Read:
A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories

A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  604 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Written with grace, delicate humor and a keen understanding of the female psyche are 9 portraits of black and white inhabitants of Louisiana's bayou and urban areas. Includes "A Night in Acadie," "A Respectable Woman," "The Dream of an Hour," and the title story. A masterful collection of Chopin's short stories.
Published September 24th 1996 by Dover Publications (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneThe House of Silk by Anthony HorowitzTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersA Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Fabrics
27th out of 104 books — 15 voters
Bayou folk by Kate ChopinBayou Folk and A Night in Acadie by Kate ChopinComplete Novels and Stories by Kate ChopinKate Chopin by Kate ChopinA Night in Acadie by Kate Chopin
Best of Kate Chopin
13th out of 100 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
This is a kind of prototype to What Not To Wear: self-esteem increases when the poor, badly-dressed person is transformed into yet another secretary-clone. Or in this case 'fitting in with the quality'. Excellent story, if you are a woman you will identify with this. Do men?
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Feb 02, 2015 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I may be going a bit overboard as far as rating this whole collection is concerned, but I was won over by Azélie, A Respectable Woman, Désirée's Baby, and The Dream of an Hour, as they are perfect depictions of the more callous sides of ourselves that we suppress and disguise, and the heart's tendency to do what it must in order to know that it is still beating, regardless of how it will affect ourselves and those people and things that we care about. Short, ugly, and all-too-accurate, these sto ...more
Scott Whitney
Mar 15, 2015 Scott Whitney rated it it was amazing
There are many authors from the Nineteenth Century who made the short story a major work of art. Kate Chopin is one of them. Until I picked up this thrift edition at a library sale, I had never heard of her. She is a regional writer from an area where I had not read much, but she has a way of presenting information which makes you feel at home in these once unfamiliar settings.

I started reading and could not stop until I was finished with the first story. Then I had to take a break and digest t
Elizabeth
This was my first book by Kate Chopin and each one of these stories was a gem. My three favorites were: “Désirée’s Baby,” “A Pair of Silk Stockings," and "A Night in Acadie."
Bri
Feb 17, 2015 Bri rated it really liked it
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Bootsie
Oct 22, 2008 Bootsie rated it really liked it
Normally I don't enjoy much from feminist culture or anything with too much purple language and girly stuff but some things are genuinely good. I didn't like all the stories, out of all of them I only liked two (the one about the guy who liked that insensitive ditz, and the story of the title). I had to give them four stars for those two though because I could relate to them. "A Pair of Silk Stockings" particularly, because sometimes if I come into a bit of money I like to go out and do things l ...more
Sukanya Parashar
Aug 21, 2015 Sukanya Parashar rated it liked it
I absolutely loved these short stories concerning some contentious issues of morality, racism, freedom and autonomy. One easily connects with the characters and the author's writing style is so smooth as one could see that how easily she tackles this subtle issue of the acceptable behaviour of women in the society.
Désirée's Baby and The story of an hour are definitely my personal favourites.
The murky endings in some of these tales suggest the continued struggle in the lives of these women who
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love Kate Chopin. Her writing is so beautiful and poetic. This story, in my opinion, is about the dangers of money and material wealth and how we put too much emphasis on the so-called "finer things in life".
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting characters with interesting lives you might meet and fall in love with? You won't know if you like it unless you give it a try. You won't know if you love them unless you crack open the cover and
Fed
Jul 01, 2013 Fed rated it really liked it
It is thought provoking to see what just a little bit of money -- $15 -- does to a person who usually does not have much to spare. Interesting to see her thought process and how, even if for a moment, she really thought that money could make her feel like someone she wanted to be; someone special.

Perhaps we all dream to live lavishly, even if it is just for one day, and feel like we have something special. However, I don't think that money makes a person rich, on the contrary, what is inside th
Eleanor Johnson
Sep 23, 2009 Eleanor Johnson rated it liked it
i read it a bit earlier today, it was alright. But i was expecting some disaster the entire way through. like someone stole her gloves,and she feels guilty. But no... she seems to kind of change half way through, with a single pair of stockings she becomes this sort of woman of the finery. When before she was worried about little kids. If anyone would be kind enough to clear up the ending that would be a big help, i still dont quite understand it. *sigh* poor stupid me! /.__.\
Parisusa
Mar 28, 2014 Parisusa rated it really liked it
Silk Stockings: I have to be honest...I expected a different ending. Perhaps Mrs. S arriving home all dolled up only to find the raggedy dressed children hungry for dinner yet the cupboard is bare. Or getting hit and instantly killed by a cable car thus proving to the reader that greed or self indulgence doesn't pay. Perhaps I'm a cynic and prefer tragic endings.
Lisa
Feb 09, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
a short story that really captures the plight of the over-worked, over-stressed, depressed mother who wanted a bit more out of life than what she's gotten. i read this in my high school humanities class when i was supposed to be studying and it really made me realize that i did not want to have a typical adult life. it rocked my 17 year old brain.
Gogarcias8
Apr 18, 2010 Gogarcias8 rated it really liked it
I read this book for my English composition class and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the stories. "A Dream of an Hour", "A Pair of Silk Stocking", and "Desiree's Baby". The short stories are not uplifting I suppose, but they are memorable and startling. I guess this reveals my feminist side!
Kate
Mar 10, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I'm a big fan of Kate Chopin, but in a few of these stories I couldn't get past the thick Creole and Cajun accents.
Oct 30, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Little Mrs. Sommers one day found herself the unexpected possessor of fifteen dollars.
Kucing
A Respectable Woman: 'there are some battles in life which a human being must fight alone'
Hank
Mar 14, 2008 Hank rated it really liked it
I can't stop reading this woman. Which is easy to say, and commit to, since she didn't write much.
Serena
Feb 23, 2011 Serena rated it really liked it
How she went from this to her filth of The Awakening is incomprehensible.
Jana
Nov 16, 2012 Jana rated it really liked it
I'd read a lot of these short stories in college but forgot how much I liked them.
Robert
Mar 05, 2009 Robert rated it it was ok
Best stories: "A Night in Acadie" and "The Dream of an Hour"
Daniel Hutton
Sep 18, 2012 Daniel Hutton rated it liked it
Realism at its finest.
Carly
Carly rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Shadan Larki
Shadan Larki marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Harley Pope
Harley Pope rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Ruth Jacobs Bogart
Ruth Jacobs Bogart rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Sidharth Vardhan
Sidharth Vardhan marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
  • Great Short Stories by American Women
  • Paycheck and Other Classic Stories
  • Children On Their Birthdays
  • Fairy & Folk Tales of Ireland
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more
More about Kate Chopin...