Start by marking “If Your Kid Eats This Book, Everything Will Still Be Okay: How to Know if Your Child's Injury or Illness Is Really an Emergency” as Want to Read:
If Your Kid Eats This Book, Everything Will Still Be Okay: How  to Know if Your Child's Injury or Illness Is Really an Emergency

As an Emergency Room pediatrician, Dr. Lara Zibners has seen it all. She's cared for a portion of the 25 million children in the U.S. who are taken to the ER each year-and she knows that more than 50% of these visits may be unnecessary. IF YOUR KID EATS THIS BOOK, EVERYTHING WILL STILL BE OKAY shows parents when they may need to take action, and when they might be able to ...more
Published June 17th 2009 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published May 27th 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about If Your Kid Eats This Book, Everything Will Still Be Okay

Leah
Feb 06, 2010 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I am really a very laid-back parent. Sometimes I wonder if I am being too laid back, even - like with 103 degree fevers, bonks on the head, etc. I got this book on my kindle to see if it would help me define when to worry and when to continue not worrying.

It is overall incredibly reassuring. It is comprehensive and covers the necessary information, but it acts as a wonderful reminder that kids are resilient and can take some bumps without too much parental paranoia.

I was thrilled to see that it
Rachel John
Jul 22, 2009 Rachel John rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Got this with the giveaway too.

It was funny and helpful. I have a two-year-old and emergencies are par for the course. The book is written by a pediatric ER doctor and she does a good job of explaining when to bring your child to the doctor, when to leave him home, and when to stop reading and call 911.

I read the whole thing and while its all good info, I definitely would not want to be flipping through it in an urgent situation. Because she organizes it by sections of the body, you'll have cold
Brad
Aug 02, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. It's still an honest review, but the FTC wanted you to know...
----------------
This book seemed to me a little like "Your Young Child's Health For Dummies." Dr. Zibners does a good job of keeping things simple and understandable, and even adds quite a bit of humor. I think this book is a great little resource for parents or parents-to-be. It was enjoyable to read about health care from a rational voice who explains why it's important fo
Ashley
May 07, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I didn't actually finish, but I read enough to know I need to buy this. Basically, the point is to triage your kid so you don't end up taking the little bug for an unnecessary trip to the ER or even the doctor's office. Case in point: my son tumbled off the couch the other day. I could have freaked out and called my husband in tears to come get us and take us to the ER, but I remembered the wise words of the book, which said that unless your kid vomits more than once and/or acts differently than ...more
Cynthia
Jul 20, 2009 Cynthia rated it liked it
I gave this book to a friend because she's always worried about what she should do in medical situations with the children.

I read the book before I gave it to her to see what it was about. I do not have kids, but I do think the book is great. It's pretty funny and there is a lot of information in it for new mothers and mothers who have been doing it for a while. Almost everything that you can think of that could happen to your child is in this book. Of course we all know that if a child falls t
Athena
Jul 29, 2009 Athena rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
As a family physician and mom, I find it fun to read through these types of book.

I think overall this book did a good job of covering the basis of what should and shouldn't be seen in the emergency room. But I'm not sure that in a true emergency anyone is going to sift through all of the material in the book in order to know if they should go to the ER (oops, I used that "ER" term; it's not a room--it's a department)or not. When I am reading these types of books, I like to have more bold print,
Cindy
Mar 19, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it
So far I am very impressed. This book is laid out so well and covers everything I could have imagined and plenty more. It is so mom friendly and easy for anyone to understand. The author does a good job of dumbing it down without making me feel dumb one little bit. Most of the time I feel dr's implying "thats just how it is, its complicated, you wouldnt understand" lines and I feel stupid asking questions. Its nice to have it explained and laid out so informatively. I feel smarter after having r ...more
Andrea
Oct 09, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
October 8 2012, I read this again to see if I still like it after having a kid because I was thinking about giving it as a gift. Turns out, I still like it a lot, but it is no longer in print. Still available in e-book, but not a format I really want to spend money on.

June 2010
I saw this book on the giveaways some time last year so when I saw it at the library I picked it up.

I thought this book was pretty good. I don't know how it is for "real life" and I agree with the reviews about not using i
Jamie
Apr 30, 2010 Jamie rated it it was ok
I thought this book was goign to be about illnesses and injuries for older children. I was disappointed to find that it was another book focusing mostly on children under a year. There are plenty of books dealing with the care of infants and this book doesn't stand apart from the others. Some of the information was geared towards older children, but not very much and nothing I hadn't heard before.
Eris
May 08, 2009 Eris rated it really liked it
I believe this should be on the list of baby shower gifts you give to people who didn't know they wanted it... First time parents will love the laundry list of common ailments and happenings that they had no clue existed, and the humor makes it an easy read so you can comfortably pre-browse the book (BEFORE the issues come up). Buy this for your expecting friends (or children), and make their lives (and their pediatricians lives) easier.
Morninglight Mama
Jan 22, 2016 Morninglight Mama rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
The things that kids can put in their mouths, in their ears, and up their noses, along with all the bumps, cuts, falls and other assorted childhood injuries can make a mom go crazy with worry. Dr. Zibners' guide to what is an emergency, what can wait until the morning for a call to the doc, and what is simply something to handle at home is a refreshingly calm and reassuring resource. I'm sure that I'll have reason to pull it off the shelf again sometime in the near future!
Beth Bernier Pratt
Dec 01, 2010 Beth Bernier Pratt rated it really liked it
I got this as a baby gift, and it's one I plan to give out as a baby gift to others. Lots of useful information about when to worry and when to just comfort the little one. Very practical and well-organized.
Candice Jaehn
Jul 30, 2009 Candice Jaehn rated it really liked it
This was an awesome book full of great information, with a little comedy thrown in to make it an easy read. It honestly made me laugh on every page. This is a book I will definately go back and forth to. I have two boys and the information given in this book is priceless!
Stephanie
Sep 11, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Too bad I didn't read this book last week before my son fell and broke his tooth! Even after so many years of parenting under my belt, I thought this book was informative, very easy to read and written in a wity way. Great to keep around as a refernce.
May 29, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Being a nurse who previously worked in the ED, nothing in this book was overly surprising to me, but it was a good review of what constitutes an emergency for my newborn. For those without ED training, it's a great little guide to when to call the doc, when to call 911, and when to wait and see.
Aria Eve
Jul 20, 2009 Aria Eve rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a very well written book for couples who have just had a baby. It is very straight forward and to the point, which is what they need when their brain's are half fried. I would definitely read this again if I ever had kids.
Nicky
Dec 16, 2010 Nicky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Very practical advice, easy to follow and remember guidelines. I'd recommend this to anyone who has a child or is thinking of having one. In fact, I'm thinking of making this book compulsory reading for anyone looking after my child!
Jan 06, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
I wish I had owned this book when my kids were babies. But there's not much in there about big kids so I just skimmed it.
Meg
Interesting even if you are child-free and just have little nephews and nieces --- who knew supergluing your eyes shut was actually not that tricky to remedy?
Wendy
Jul 01, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: breeder

Fairly useful and enjoyable to read, could use some better formatting and index improvement for use as an actual reference however.
paula
Reminds me of a blog post I once wrote: http://yourneighborhoodlibrarian.blog...
Kyle
Apr 03, 2009 Kyle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: panicky parents.
A very thorough and complete handbook on how not to panic (or when you most definitely should panic).

The edition I read had no index for quick reference, and it could really use that.
Christina Smalley
Christina Smalley rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Joann
Joann rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Anna Balasi
Anna Balasi rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2009
Susan Reiman
Susan Reiman rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Elaina
Jun 07, 2010 Elaina rated it liked it
Shelves: library
one of mommy's current library books
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2012
Kory
Aug 04, 2009 Kory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Awesome awesome book!
« previous 1 3 next »
Dr. Lara Zibners received her B.S. degree in Biochemistry and Cell Biology from the University of California, San Diego before heading to The Ohio State University, where she was awarded a doctorate of medicine, cum laude. After graduating from medical school, she completed a 3-year residency in Pediatrics, followed by another 3 years as a fellow in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, both of which were ...more
More about Lara Zibners...