Конец главы

Конец главы (The Forsyte Chronicles #7-9)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Конец главы" - произведение выдающегося английского писателя Д.Голсуорси (1867 - 1933) - состоит из трех частей: "Девушка ждет" (1931), "Пустыня в цвету" (1932), "На другой берег" (1933). По своему идейному замыслу и отчасти общим персонажам книга продолжает трилогии "Сага о Форсайтах" и "Современная комедия".
Published 2006 by АСТ (first published 1931)

Teresa
Maid in waiting
4/5
Do you remember the Forsyte's? Well, at least in this novel the main family are the Cherrell's. Who? Well, they are the cousin's of Michael Mont, Fleur Forsyte's husband (that is, Soames Forsyte's daughter). It's ok if you don't know who these people are, there isn't much relation between this volume and the two previous ones (or, at least, that's my opinion after reading the first book of End of the Chapter .
It takes place in the late 20's and early 30's and the main charact...more
Holly
END OF THE CHAPTER is not as good as the two trilogies that precede it---THE FORSYTE SAGA and A MODERN COMEDY---but it's good all the same. In fact, Galsworthy's "worst" is generally better than most people's best! I have always thought him a masterful storyteller. His main problem is that (a) he romanticize his heroines to an almost ludicrous extent and (b) he's often guilty of the social snobbery that he claims to dislike. And while he can and does poke fun at the bourgeois Forsytes, he ideali...more
Hilary Walker
This writer is phenomenal. He has great insight into the English character - what moves English people, the reasons for their behavior - and he writes a compelling story at the same time.
He is someone I aspire to emulate as an author. His wit is very dry, and his descriptions pithy.
Anne
I read the originals years ago, but just now discovered the last three books. I've been enmeshed in the 1900 to 1920 period for a while now--not sure why, and this is a terrific addition.
Karen
These are the last three books in the Forsyte Saga series (there are 9 books in all, 3 trilogies.) The novels in this book take place around 1930 and deal mostly with the Cherrells, who are cousins to the Forsytes (although Fleur and Michael do play fairly large roles.) I don't think these last novels are quite as compelling as the others in the saga--the plots in seem very dated by now (the main "crises" in each novel have to do with things like "the honor of England" and the "scandal" of divor...more
Irene
I have completed the three volume Foresyte Chronicle. It was well worth the discipline to tackle the entire family saga. The writing was consistently witty, elegant and crisp throughout. My only disappointment is that the final volume marginalized the primary characters from the earlier sections and introduced a new family branch. I found myself missing the former figures, attentively watching for signs of their appearance. This is an excellent writer who can make me miss fictional figures as if...more
Nina
I loved this book (or books)! I loved the storyline of decay among the aristocracy--it's an interesting counterpoint to the climbing, energetic Forsytes. I love the dismal Cherrells and their take on the world.

Granted, there are some issues. For example, I'm not sure why Wilfred's conversion to Islam was the earth-shattering event for all of them that it was (even though he converted under duress). That seemed a bit heavy, but then again, I think the weight of it colluded with the reality that s...more
Beth
So I started reading this book that I found at The Book Thing in Baltimore because it is by the same guy who wrote the Forsyte Saga, which I loved. Having just searched for it on this website, I see that it is actually part of the series, which I didn't realize.

So, this fact in itself is rather telling. I had know idea this mediocre book is the sequel to a very good book, its that "eh". I am only partway through book seven, so we'll see, perhaps it'll pick up.

I guess I know why it is called bo...more
Carol
Read these as separate books and really enjoyed the saga continuing into the time of the Great Depression (even though it was never referred to be that name). The characters and their circumstances are so foreign to me, yet Galsworthy was able to make them quite sympathetic and their various dilemmas engaging.
Mary Stanton
He occupies such awell-ordered universe--England in the 1930's--that his work has become my default comfort read. I've also been a little dubious about his worthiness as a Nobel prize winner--but when you consider they gave it to Pearl Buck, too.......more
Aline
Nov 25, 2011 Aline marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I finally found it!
Dunja
Dunja marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
Jul 23, 2014
Jemima Bicknell
Jemima Bicknell marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
BJC
BJC marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
  • My Cousin Caroline (The Pemberley Chronicles #6)
  • The Gate of Heavenly Peace: The Chinese and Their Revolution
  • The Juvenilia of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë (Penguin Classics)
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • Edith's Diary
  • Lady into Fox
  • The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence
  • The Shooting Party
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • Gunnar's Daughter
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern...more
More about John Galsworthy...
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga To Let: The Forsyte Saga The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga) In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)