Start by marking “Конец главы” as Want to Read:
Конец главы

Конец главы (The Forsyte Chronicles #7-9)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Конец главы" - произведение выдающегося английского писателя Д.Голсуорси (1867 - 1933) - состоит из трех частей: "Девушка ждет" (1931), "Пустыня в цвету" (1932), "На другой берег" (1933). По своему идейному замыслу и отчасти общим персонажам книга продолжает трилогии "Сага о Форсайтах" и "Современная комедия".
Published 2006 by АСТ (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Конец главы, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Конец главы

Holly
END OF THE CHAPTER is not as good as the two trilogies that precede it---THE FORSYTE SAGA and A MODERN COMEDY---but it's good all the same. In fact, Galsworthy's "worst" is generally better than most people's best! I have always thought him a masterful storyteller. His main problem is that (a) he romanticize his heroines to an almost ludicrous extent and (b) he's often guilty of the social snobbery that he claims to dislike. And while he can and does poke fun at the bourgeois Forsytes, he ideali ...more
Teresa
Maid in waiting
4/5
Do you remember the Forsyte's? Well, at least in this novel the main family are the Cherrell's. Who? Well, they are the cousin's of Michael Mont, Fleur Forsyte's husband (that is, Soames Forsyte's daughter). It's ok if you don't know who these people are, there isn't much relation between this volume and the two previous ones (or, at least, that's my opinion after reading the first book of End of the Chapter .
It takes place in the late 20's and early 30's and the main charac
Hilary Walker
This writer is phenomenal. He has great insight into the English character - what moves English people, the reasons for their behavior - and he writes a compelling story at the same time.
He is someone I aspire to emulate as an author. His wit is very dry, and his descriptions pithy.
Anne
I read the originals years ago, but just now discovered the last three books. I've been enmeshed in the 1900 to 1920 period for a while now--not sure why, and this is a terrific addition.
Joanne
This is the final 3 books of the Forsyte Saga I think you would only start this if you had already read and loved books 1 to 6 as I have. To me it seemed slightly less Galsworthy and slightly more Wodehouse. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and the wit is great. I dint want to finish as it means nor more Forsytes for me!
Karen
These are the last three books in the Forsyte Saga series (there are 9 books in all, 3 trilogies.) The novels in this book take place around 1930 and deal mostly with the Cherrells, who are cousins to the Forsytes (although Fleur and Michael do play fairly large roles.) I don't think these last novels are quite as compelling as the others in the saga--the plots in seem very dated by now (the main "crises" in each novel have to do with things like "the honor of England" and the "scandal" of divor ...more
Irene
I have completed the three volume Foresyte Chronicle. It was well worth the discipline to tackle the entire family saga. The writing was consistently witty, elegant and crisp throughout. My only disappointment is that the final volume marginalized the primary characters from the earlier sections and introduced a new family branch. I found myself missing the former figures, attentively watching for signs of their appearance. This is an excellent writer who can make me miss fictional figures as if ...more
Nina
I loved this book (or books)! I loved the storyline of decay among the aristocracy--it's an interesting counterpoint to the climbing, energetic Forsytes. I love the dismal Cherrells and their take on the world.

Granted, there are some issues. For example, I'm not sure why Wilfred's conversion to Islam was the earth-shattering event for all of them that it was (even though he converted under duress). That seemed a bit heavy, but then again, I think the weight of it colluded with the reality that s
Beth
So I started reading this book that I found at The Book Thing in Baltimore because it is by the same guy who wrote the Forsyte Saga, which I loved. Having just searched for it on this website, I see that it is actually part of the series, which I didn't realize.

So, this fact in itself is rather telling. I had know idea this mediocre book is the sequel to a very good book, its that "eh". I am only partway through book seven, so we'll see, perhaps it'll pick up.

I guess I know why it is called bo
Carol
Read these as separate books and really enjoyed the saga continuing into the time of the Great Depression (even though it was never referred to be that name). The characters and their circumstances are so foreign to me, yet Galsworthy was able to make them quite sympathetic and their various dilemmas engaging.
Mary Stanton
He occupies such awell-ordered universe--England in the 1930's--that his work has become my default comfort read. I've also been a little dubious about his worthiness as a Nobel prize winner--but when you consider they gave it to Pearl Buck, too.... ...more
Biljana Skataric
Fler, definitivno, Fler Mont je duša i ove knjige, iako nije glavni lik kao u Modernoj komediji. Čini mi se da je mezimica i samom piscu.
Aline
Nov 25, 2011 Aline marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I finally found it!
Hazlit
Hazlit added it
May 25, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
MarieAnna
MarieAnna marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Mish
Mish marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Isabelle Ryan
Isabelle Ryan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Keso
Keso added it
May 23, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Francesca Tripiedi
Francesca Tripiedi marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • Anna of the Five Towns
  • The Legacy of Pemberley
  • The Emperor's General
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • La voce a te dovuta: poema
  • The Gate of Heavenly Peace: The Chinese and Their Revolution
  • Wild Strawberries
  • La Conquête de Plassans
  • Edith's Diary
  • A Village After Dark
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern
More about John Galsworthy...

The Forsyte Chronicles (10 books)
  • The Man of Property
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • Awakening
  • To Let
  • The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga)
  • The Silver Spoon
  • Swan Song
  • Maid In Waiting
  • Flowering Wilderness
  • One More River
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) The Man of Property To Let In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga) The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga)