Start by marking “Multiple Choice” as Want to Read:
Multiple Choice

Multiple Choice

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  897 ratings  ·  149 reviews

March Monroe and her daughter Olivia are going to college. Not together at the same school, of course, just at the same time. March knows that Olivia is going, naturally, since she and her husband have just made their first exorbitant tuition payment. But Olivia doesn't exactly know the arrangement . . . yet. It's not as if March plans never to tell her; she just figures s

Audio CD, 5 pages
Published August 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Multiple Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multiple Choice

Sarah Null
This is a poorly written book where a lot of things almost happen, but nothing really does. Most of the dialogue is forced and random, and doesn't seem like something people would actually say in the given situation. The husband and wife are in a "fight" after two or three sentences that seem harmless enough. The daughter is more like a bratty 13-year-old than a grown, college-aged woman. The characters are in turns one-dimensional, cliched, and unrealistic and you never really believe their mot ...more
Dianne
(Please, authors, can we get some women who have jobs such as secretaries, nurses, teachers, sales reps, coordinators, speech therapists, etc., instead of women who have a catering/gardening/decorating business?? I’m tired of authors painting such a charming picture of those self-owned businesses, when in reality most women can’t make a living in them.)

It was overly lightweight, relied too much on stereotypical characters and situations. Anyway, I got tired of the daughter’s horrid attitude and
Not completely terrible, but not overly stimulating either so far. Just not much actually seems to happen. It's possible it's about pick up as of the last chapter's developments. I'm a bit worried though...I feel I can identify a little too easily with the 50yr old's pov instead of the 18yr old's should I? I'm only 32! I know March the Mom is who we're supposed to root for, but I'm just feeling a bit old. There's probably a good reason this was on B&N's clearance rack.

Ok, so a week later, an
Heather
I usually really enjoy Claire Cook novels, but I was disappointed in this one. March Monroe has enrolled in college just as her daughter does. Although the women don't go to the same school, they end up sharing an internship at a radio station and soon end up with a radio show.

I had one big problem with this book. I HATED Olivia. I know that we are supposed to root for March, but Olivia came off as completely unlikeable. I kept thinking 1) that she acted more like a spoiled 13 year old than a c
Allison
I absolutely loved this book! It was sweet, realistic, and at times had me laughing out loud. Claire Cook really knows how to hit close to home without making her characters seem fake or strained.
Stacy
Unfortunately, not my favorite book. I've always wondered what people meant when, in a book review, they said a character was flat. Now I know. I feel like there really wasn't a whole lot of depth to the characters in the book. And I didn't really like many of them. I guess my favorite part of the book was in the first part of it when March had some friends over and, in trying to quickly clean her house, she put the cat litter box in the oven and a friend found it. And the running joke from that ...more
Allison
While reading this book I found myself laughing out loud as I read. I loved reading this book and found it full of rich characters and funny circumstances. Claire Cook writes with real life perspective and the humor that is hiding in the everyday. Her characters jump out from the page and you feel like you have known them for years.

One of my favorite scenes is when March Monroe has all of her girlfriends over and they are complaining about having to eat menopause food. March turns around to fin
Jill Gilbert
This is a very light and breezy book by the author of Must Love Dogs, which I never read but I did see the movie with Janeane Garafalo and Uma Thurman about ten years ago.

This is the story of March, who is a forty-something mother of two who has decided to go back to college and finish the degree she abandoned to marry her husband. Her 18 yr old daughter finds out her mom's plans when they both sign up for an internship program at a local radio show.

The best parts about this novel were the fun,
Whitney Oaks
Originally I rated this three stars, but I changed my mind after I summed it up for my husband when he asked what I was reading. It was just so ho-hum.

March and Olivia, mother and daughter, are both attending college at the same time, just not at the same school. However, when forced to take on an intern position, they both choose the same radio station by coincidence. Olivia acts like a stuck-up, spoiled teenager who's parents pay for everything. {I don't understand this at all, especially sinc
Louise
Claire Cook's third novel is funny, touching and will have you shaking your head in total understanding. Those of us with teens can relate to the daughter in this novel, 'Olivia', and her attitude toward her mother 'March'.

From back cover:

"There was a time when March Monroe thought she and her daughter, Olivia, would never really cut the cord-they'd just upgrade to a wireless connection. Now Olivia is heading off to college and March hasn't even told her that she's decided to continue her own hi
Amanda
Aug 10, 2007 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older chick lit fans and frustrated moms
Shelves: chicklit
If you want a quick, light read, this is probably a good choice. Though I still consider it a "chick lit" book, the main character is an older woman who decides to go back to college. Along the way, she interns at a radio station, fights with her daugher (sort of), gets mad at her husband (sort of), and crushes like a schoolgirl on a co-worker (sort of).

Though the read is okay, I didn't really connect with any of the characters. Maybe it's because my own age is in between that of the main chara
BarbN
This was a lightweight cute story about a woman and her daughter who end up back in school at the same time. The mom is utterly spineless, which made me angry, but I kept reading because I thought there would be some kind of climax where she learns to stand up for herself. She does finally show some spine on a couple of minor points but only after she has let the people involved walk over her so often that only a major showdown would have salvaged it for me- which never happens. Don't bother.
Nancy Istenes
There is nothing terribly wrong with this book but nothing terribly outstanding. The premise has a lot of potential but really nothing happens. It's like reading the diary of a boring housewife. There isn't much humor or crazy situations. The plot could have easily been better developed.
Marta Bishop
Claire Cook delights readers with another book, ‘Multiple Choices,’ is rich in charm, wit, and life. One can easily become immersed in the lives of each character as we follow their decisions. So true to life is the plot of this book that one can only imagine what the consequences would be if you were in the position of any of the characters in this charming book.

True to her usual elegant and character driven novels, ‘Multiple Choices,’ takes you deep into the hearts, minds, and emotions of each
Marcia
I laughed over some of the mother-daughter encounters and smiled wistfully at some of March’s dreams and hopes not only for herself but also for her daughter. Lots of identifiable passages regarding older students and what they face when returning to college.

Quotes of Note (to me):

p. 5: I don’t want to finish my degree to get a better job. I want to take classes that are brainy and ethereal and totally impractical. I want to major in something that won’t get me anywhere in the real world. Someth
Stephanie Holcomb
Wow. Way to insult my intelligence, Claire Cook. I took this book with me on a plane trip, thinking it was thin and light. That's the perfect example of the contents, too. Thin and light. Poorly written and I'm sure at a 10th grade reading level. There was no distinctions between the ages, and bad jokes such as forgetting your girlfriends are coming over that night so in a frantic panic putting the cat box in the oven. Really? NO ONE does this--everyone has closets or something. Unbelievable sto ...more
Sandra
I started to read this book but realised I just couldn't get into it. I just couldn't relate to the characters. Even though they were around my age, I am childless, so I couldn't relate to their issues.
Deb Jackson
Since this was an earlier one of CC's books, I am not sure how I missed it. I did enjoy it & she has a way of writing that makes one laugh out loud.. good writing & very good characters. Enjoyed the whole family setting, very typical that any parent could identify with.
Judy
I enjoyed this book. I went back to college while my son was a student at the same school so I could relate to some of the situations. I especially could relate to the problems that the main character March had with her quantum physics class. I had pretty much the same experience with a physical science class. I personally thought that relationship between the March and her husband was very realistic. Also realistic was the relationship between March and a faculty member at school. His attention ...more
Amy
Seriously??? I got to my designated 100 pages and threw the book out the window (not really I don't litter). There wasn't anything there. Waste of paper and words.
Victoria Drake
I enjoyed listening to this audiobook. It was a fun time. I enjoyed the heck out of the characters, especially March.
Melanie Cannon
I like Claire Cook books, and I really like saying ... I like Claire Cookbooks. Her recurrent theme of reinvention is present in this book as it has been in all of the books I've read. A mom approaching midlife whose oldest daughter is off to college -- so she returns to college as well. She's been married to the same man for 20-years and just needs a little excitement. All Claire Cook books are easy to read, they seem like a familiar pair of pajamas. This is one of her early books and I think b ...more
MartyAnne
I love Claire Cook's books for fun quick summer reads.

Im this book, (DD) Dear Daughter is off to school, and mom decides not to announce she is going back, too -- and its only a few pages before that plan backfires!

Each chapter begins with a witty multiple choice question to make you laugh.

The protagonist in this book is married happily, so it is one of a few Claire Cook novels that don't concern the search for new love.

The other thing most Claire Cook novels have are entrepreneurial protagon
Baglady
light and mildly entertaining, introduces several plot lines but doesn't take anything to a resolution. while this might be an accurate reflection of real life, it is rather unsatisfying and ultimately boring when reading a book which does go from "start" to "finish". March, the mom/college student/life coach seems unable to recognize in herself the same characteristics she is coaching others to overcome. Olivia, the college-age college student is a brat who seems stuck at age 13; her character ...more
Eva
March Monroe's daughter from hell is going off to college, unfortunately she's not going far enough away. She's much too close for comfort. Especially when March decides to go back to college herself and the two find themselves at the same radio station for their freshman internships. The failing radio station, desperate to put some spice in its line-up, give the mother-daughter spitting, hissing duo their own show. Now they can fight in public and get college credit for it.

If you've ever paren
Stephanie
Had potential but fell apart or maybe never found a climax....
Betsie Bush
The concept of this book had so much promise (mother going back to college at the same time as her daughter)... but the characters made me want to throw up. Maybe I'm just not the target audience (i.e. not a spineless, push-over mother or a whiny, spoiled college brat)... maybe it was just that the audio version gave it so much extra life that pushed it over the edge... but... now I can really picture this book made into a shallow chick-flick style of movie... it could have been the perfect 90s ...more
Janine Hanko
Was a cute book. No substance. Fast read.
Maya
2.5 stars, rounded up to 3 on GR.

Pro: Interesting premise, likeable protagonist
Con: Stupendously immature daughter character, to the point of being believable as entering high school or even junior high rather than university. Can only assume this was done for the sake of dramatic tension in scenes shared with the mom character, but it made every scene with the daughter so intensely annoying that it came at the expense of enjoyment of the book.
Also, seemed very short 214 pages with a bit too muc
Mrs. Nicole
The perils of mother-daughter relationships are explored in this book. March Monroe decides to return to college to finish her degree at the same time her daughter, Olivia, begins her freshmen year of college. Although the two are not attending the same college, they end up completing an internship together at a local radio station. Olivia feels her mother is ruining her life and March is just trying to stay out of her way. The perfect makings for a mother-daughter radio show called Rubber and G ...more
  • The Adultery Diet
  • Wedding Belles
  • Sweet Life
  • The Tiara Club
  • Going to Bend: A Novel
  • Sex on the Beach Book Club
  • Younger
  • Literacy and Longing in L.A.
  • By Summer's End
  • The Silver Compass
  • How To Be Cool
  • The Season of Second Chances
  • Apocalipstick
  • The Single Wife
  • The Love of a Lawman (Callister, #3)
  • Rules for Saying Goodbye
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • Lost Highways (Valentine, #1)
I wrote my first novel in my minivan at 45. At 50, I walked the red carpet at the Hollywood premiere of the adaptation of my second novel, Must Love Dogs, starring Diane Lane and John Cusack. If you have a buried dream, take it from me, it is NEVER too late!

I've reinvented myself once again by turning Must Love Dogs into a series, writing my first nonfiction book, Never Too Late: Your Roadmap to R
More about Claire Cook...
Must Love Dogs (Must Love Dogs, #1) Seven Year Switch Life's a Beach The Wildwater Walking Club Summer Blowout

“I'd spent so many years doing things I didn't really want to do for people I didn't really like.” 1 likes
“Relationships, the ones that last anyway, are really an extended game of Let's Make A Deal.” 0 likes