Start by marking “Southern Lights” as Want to Read:
Southern Lights

Southern Lights

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  4,929 Ratings  ·  369 Reviews
Danielle Steel sweeps us from a Manhattan courtroom to the Deep South in her powerful new novel—at once a behind-closed-doors look into the heart of a family and a tale of crime and punishment.

Eleven years have passed since Alexa Hamilton left the South behind, fleeing the pain of her ex-husband’s betrayal and the cruelty of his prominent Charleston family. Now an assistan
Published October 20th 2009 by Delacorte Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Lights

Mwanja
Nov 01, 2011 Mwanja rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, drama
I read this book out of loyalty to Danielle Steel. During my early years as a reader I read so many of her books because they were much easier to come by due to her popularity. And I really enjoyed them. But as I discovered other genres and got access to more authors through ebooks I lost interest in her books. So I ws excited to get to read this one but was terribly disapointed. The main character Alexa is someone I cud identify with coz I carry anger with me for a long time too. She's intellig ...more
Carol Storm
Apr 17, 2017 Carol Storm rated it it was ok
I love Danielle Steel, but this book really left me feeling ripped off and bummed out. And I can't explain that without doing a spoiler that covers the entire book. Stand by. Spoiler. Stand by.

At first it looks like it's going to be something totally new for this author, like a very deadly suspense novel. Alexa is a tough lady prosecutor and they have a murderer named Luke who's a real bad ass -- a cross between Hannibal Lecter in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and the original "Luke" in COOL HAND LU
Brenda
Apr 18, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing
I always love Danielle Steele, this book was a bit of a change in her normal writing. It was a book that was one I didn't put down until I finished it. She has her main character as a
woman who fleed the South eleven years ago when she felt her ex husband had betrayed her and his family and friends were mean to her once she was no longer associated with a southern family. She runs to Manhattan and becomes an assistant D. A. where she lives with her daughter and is assigned to a criminal case whe
Narcisse
Oct 30, 2011 Narcisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love Danielle Steele:) this book was a bit of a change in her normal writing. It was a book that was one I didn't put down until I finished it. She has her main character as a woman who fled the South eleven years ago when she felt her ex husband had betrayed her and his family and friends were mean to her once she was no longer associated with a southern family. She runs to Manhattan and becomes an assistant D. A. where she lives with her daughter and is assigned to a criminal case whe ...more
Ahmed
Jul 09, 2016 Ahmed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
قد لا يبدو لك أي وجود اي شيء مثالي في الحياة لكنك تستطيع ان تجعل حياتك مثالية..
برغم مرر 10 سنوات،لم تنسي الام كيف هجرها الزوج هي وابنتها وكأنه حدث بالأمس.
تجبرها ظروف العمل علي ارسال ابنتها الي ابيها بعض الوقت للحفاظ علي سلامتها،توقعت الابنة ان تتحقق اسوأ كوابيسها بأن تعيش مع زوجة ابيها في منزل واحد لفترة ليست بالقصيرة.
استطاعت الابنة التعامل مع التحديات بطريقة جيدة وسارت الامور بأفضل مما توقعت،وعلي جانب الام مساعدة النائب العام استطاعت انهاء القضية كأفضل ما يكون،لتنتهي الفترة العصيبة في حياة هذه
Nicole
Dec 04, 2009 Nicole rated it it was ok
I read and loved Danielle Steele 20 years ago and really enjoyed her books. I haven't for many years now. I keep going back thinking maybe this book will be better. Southern Lights was easy to read but there was little substance to it and, I don't know if it's just me, but the author repeats herself much too much. She can say the same thing in one paragraph 4 times! This storyline had so much more potential. I was disappointed.
Suzanne
Aug 15, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
Masterfully told? That sounds quite strong. It's a funny exercise looking back on this author's books that I have read but not reviewed or rated.
Dion Ribeiro
Dec 17, 2015 Dion Ribeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosto muito dos livros de Danielle Steel, e este não foi exceção. Penso que na verdade foi uma das autoras que me cativou quando comecei a ler romances, há muitos anos atrás.

Ekaterina Dynina
Jun 03, 2015 Ekaterina Dynina rated it did not like it
In 32 years of my life I've never read a single book by Danielle Steel. Yes, there. I made the confession.

So I thought that this one, given the decent rating, would be a suitable place to start.

Maybe I waited too long and grew out of the target audience that Danielle Steel is writing for. Maybe my life is too busy to spare a few hours for a book that I'll never remember after finishing.

Writing was very poor and unimaginative. Why does the writer need to say that "Alex spoke eloquently for a f
Linda
Jan 09, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
The initial plot was good and I thought the story was interesting as it started out. As it progressed, it seemed like the author (was it really DS writing it?) became anxious to just finish it up. Rather than describing the action, it was more like a listing of events without embellishment. It was filled with angst and became repetitive which soon grew tiresome. I kept on reading but felt the last pages were just a quick way to end the book.
KimeyDiann
Jan 27, 2017 KimeyDiann rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, meh, 2017
I think this was the first Danielle Steel book I have ever read. And probably the last. I wasn't impressed at all. I was expecting suspense and maybe even a twist or turn, but there was none of that. Except for maybe in the first chapter or so when the serial killer gets caught. The writing was good and kept me engaged during a long drive so I'm giving the book two stars.
ratherread
3.5 Stars!

I have been traveling a lot, so I listened to the audio of this book. I really enjoyed it.
YeJi
Mar 21, 2017 YeJi rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, fiction
I enjoyed this book. The pace is different from Danielle Steel's other novels, but her east-to-read writing style remains the same. I really like the mother-daughter dynamic that Steel portrays in the two main characters. Some parts of the descriptions are repetitive, but overall, it was a good read.
Sara
Alexa viu-se obrigada a deixar Charleston com a sua filha Savannah e ir viver para Nova Iorque depois do seu marido a ter traído com a sua ex-mulher. Dez anos depois, Alexa é advogada de acusação de um caso de homicídio mediático. A sua filha começa a ser alvo de ameaças por parte do assassino e Alexa vê-se obrigada a mandar a filha para junto do ex-marido, com quem não fala à dez anos...

Este é o primeiro livro que leio da autora. Não é um livro grandioso e que encha as medidas a leitores que go
Vannessa Anderson
Alexa Hamilton married the man she thought was her dream man until he showed her how weak he was. He allowed his mother and his ex-wife to break up his marriage to Alexa. His ex-wife had had left him and their two young sons for seven years to marry a man of wealth. After the man died, the ex-wife decided she wanted her ex-husband and sons back, and her mother-in-law agreed with her because Alexa wasn’t a southern belle. Alexa’s ex-husband divorced her making the daughter they created together f ...more
Casey Dawes
Dec 27, 2011 Casey Dawes rated it it was ok
It's been a long time since I read a book by Danielle Steel. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I found it a disappointing read.

As a writer, I've been hounded to "show, don't tell." Well, Southern Lights is mostly telling. There's also a big deal about some anonymous letters that gets glossed over. In fact, there's many plot points that hook the reader and then disappoint.

I finished it because I liked the characters and could skip over huge sections of the book without missing a thing.

But it will
Avis Exley
Aug 09, 2013 Avis Exley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-so-good
A very long time since I read a Danielle Steel but sadly it didn't renew a fond relationship. The story didn't seem to flow and there was a lot of unnecessary detail that really broke up the narrative. Lots of stock, predictable (boring) characters and the end just came out of nowhere in a big lump to make everyone have a happy ending. Other reviewers have said this book was totally out of character for this author and not one of her best but I don't know if I want to put others to the test
Christina Helbach
Sep 20, 2012 Christina Helbach rated it it was amazing
I read this book a while ago but it was honestly one of my favorites. The whole plot had you guessing. You could really connect with the main character and understand what she was going through. You could feel all of the emotions she was going through and all of her struggles. You also could feel what her parents were going through. It was tough on all of them but they managed to get through it. Definitively a must read.
Ana Luisa Henriques
Um livro que mistura thriller e drama e que transforma a história da autora em algo mais profundo.

Alexa, a personagem principal, é muito interessante e integra e é com gosto mas também apreensão que vemos as escolhas que faz. O crescimento da relação pai-filha dá outra dimensão à história e a vitória do "bem" é a cereja no topo do bolo.

Um livro que recomendo, sem dúvida!
Marisa
Aug 28, 2012 Marisa rated it it was amazing
Loved this book--I didn't want it to end! You can always count on Danielle Steel for a good read!!!!!
Pam Holcomb
Nov 24, 2012 Pam Holcomb rated it it was ok
Too predictable & not enough character development for my taste. I struggled to finish it. For me, it was just medium.
Devon
Mar 20, 2011 Devon is currently reading it
Just started it, so have no review yet.
Paula Reis
Dec 26, 2015 Paula Reis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
História muito realista, com um pouco de ficção, suspense, ternura e claro romance (sem ser melado), um livro agradável que se lê num dia!
kimberly taylor
Nov 13, 2016 kimberly taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming

Loved this book. The different settings in this book only makes this book better. Love how on point the description of the south was
Shirlene
Luke Quentin was 34 and had been in prison a couple of times to total ten years. He was pursued and caught by Charlie McAvoy after being out of prison for two years for the murder and rape of numerous women, including Charlie's sister. Jack Jones was the lead investigator. Throughout the course of the investigation, 17 murders in several states were tied to Luke by DNA testing.
Alexa Hamilton was the assistant DA given the case for trial. She had a 17 yr old daughter, Savannah, who was a senior i
June Marino
Dec 05, 2016 June Marino rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This Danielle Steel novel revolves around a NY DA and her assignment to convict a serial killer. She was living in NY after her divorce from her Southern husband. This assignment put her daughter and herself in danger. She came to get over her dislike of Charleston and the South and make herself a new life!
Barbara
May 11, 2017 Barbara rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I kept waiting for something to happen. It never did.
Debbie
Nov 23, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it
I have not read Danielle Steele for years. At one time she was my favorite author. Still a bit predictable. But a nice easy read.
Debby
Jan 13, 2017 Debby rated it liked it
VERY GOOD
Joseph E Ellis
Patterns

I think I have read all of Danielle Steel's books. They are all entertaining and what I term easy reads. I gave a three-star because sometimes following the pattern of the book was too easy. No surprises.
What Happened 1 12 May 26, 2013 03:50PM
Danielle Steel Bo...: Southern Lights 1 6 Nov 20, 2012 09:03PM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • The Better to Hold You (Abra Barrow #1)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • King of the Godfathers
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Hades
  • The Brush-Off: A Hair-Raising Mystery
  • As Dog is My Witness (Aaron Tucker Mystery #3)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Delta Girls
  • 2 in the Hat
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...