Start by marking “Bolo!” as Want to Read:
Bolo!

Bolo! (Bolo #14)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,643 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Bolo – inteligentne, ważące kilkanaście tysięcy ton czołgi. Zaprojektowane jako ostateczna broń lądowa, przez ponad 1300 lat broniły ludzi zarówno przed obcymi jak i przed zbuntowanymi Bolo.

David Weber w mistrzowskim stylu rozwija pomysł Keitha Laumera, pokazując jak te niezwykłe pojazdy bojowe walczyły, zwyciężały i ginęły, służąc ludziom z odwagą, honorem i poświęceniem.
Published March 3rd 2009 by Rebis (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bolo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bolo!

Aaron
So, for those that have read the Bolo-verse, this will probably seem pretty irreverent and ill-informed. I was only passingly familiar with this series before I read this book. To say 'incredible' in every sense of the word is my response. I think the only comparison I can draw is a passing familiarity with hard sci-fi in general or the sort of unimaginable scope in stories such as the fiction of Warhammer 40,000.

To those who don't know, the Bolo is some kind of super main battle tank developed
Jim
This was definitely a re-read, but I can't recall when I first read it. Wonderful stories! Weber does every bit as good a job as Laumer did, which is amazing. It's been years since I read Laumer's original Bolo stories, but I think you could read them back to back without a problem.

The tone, points & style are all perfect. The theme of the horror of war blended with the courage & convictions of the warriors came off very well. The last story strikes it all home wonderfully. The idea that
Jim
From Booklist

Honor Harrington's creator is gaining new honors by taking a leading role in continuing the late Keith Laumer's best-known creation, a saga about the sentient tanks known as Bolos. In "Miles to Go," one of this book's four stories, a long-obsolete Bolo repels a mercenary invasion of a harmless agricultural colony. "The Traitor" is a Bolo who dies defending some refugee children, though they urge their protector to save himself. "A Time to Kill" is straightforward, high-intensity c

John Rossman
Ever since watching Star Wars at the drive-in theater outside Wolf Point, Montana at the tender age of five, I have been a avid fan of technology (toys). BOLO is a big toy. Ok a big monster of a machine that is just awesome. I haven't read all of the BOLO books. This one is a bunch of short stories set in the BOLO universe. Even though they are short stories, they seemed to be linked as they progress. Very cool read and enjoyed it.
Ron
A series of short stories. Some good; some not. If you've read one Bolo book you've pretty much read them all.
Steven Cole
This is David Weber's addition to the pile of "Bolo" stories that many other SF authors have written. A Bolo, for those who don't know, is essentially a sentient tank, a self-award and able-to-think weapon of war in some far flung future where such things make sense.

Bolos were first conceived of by Keith Laumer, way back when, and I was never really impressed with the Laumer stories I read talking about them. David Weber does a better job, I think.

This book is a set of a number of short stories
Alex
"Bolo!" Another David Weber novel. I've been ill so I'm submerging myself in fun reading. Weber is best known for his military science fiction. While the characters in this book are not his own, he picks up the idea of the Bolo (a self-aware super-tank) to write a number of stories of the future great great great grandchild of the Abrams Tank.

The Bolo tank is massive and with so much computer power it has become sentient. It's alive, in a sense. It feels pain. It has emotions and it has honor.
J.D.
Four stories in one book, all of which are superb! 4/5 of this compilation of Bolo stories by David Weber were previously published in Book #3 & #4. I'm reading out of order in this series, so it was all new stuff for me. The 1st story, 'Miles To Go' is about a Bolo named Nike who was forgotten, along with her commander, on a backwater world. She's not just any Bolo though, she's a one of a kind prototype and her commander made many unofficial upgrades to her for personality matrix...80 year ...more
Patrick Shrier
Apr 08, 2014 Patrick Shrier rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weber fans
Weber does a good job with the Bolo stories. In fact I can only think of a few things from Weber I disliked. That being said, Laumer does a better job at telling Bolo stories.

The stories are good and the characters realistic. What I liked the most was the way he shows how the Bolos think and the technical data at the end. A good book but it does not hold a candle to the Starfire series. All in all it is a good book to pass the time with at the dr's office but not something to rush out and buy.
Shawn Dvorak
I liked Keith Laumer's "Bolo" stories, and I really enjoy David Weber's hard sci-fi future war writings so "Bolo!" is an ideal combination for me. "Bolo!" is a collection four separate novellas about the self-aware supertanks known as "bolos" that Laumer invented. These stories do include a far amount of battle action but the real focus is on the psychological aspects of thinking 30,000 ton tanks that can destroy nearly any foe with its massive fusion-powered plasma cannons. Weber's own series l ...more
David Mackey
I got this one as a gift for a birthday... and tore through it, cover to cover in two days flat... I am not entirely positive, but I think it was '08... might have been '07 though.

I don't want to put any spoilers out there for those that haven't picked this book up yet, but I think there is enough in the description to be safe saying that this is a character driven Sci-Fi of epic scale. I had, at the point of reading this never seen a computer portrayed as such a caring, emotional and tangible c
Cheryl
What a great storm day book. I just finished "Miles to Go". What happens when a researcher is forgotten with her Bolo, a new prototype, on Santa Cruz, a planet at the edge of civilization? She creates Nike, a Bolo who has learned old world poetry, and can make her own decisions. Then a war happens and all records of the Bolo in Santa Cruz are lost. Enter Lorenco Esteban, sent by the Navy to check out a forgotten Bolo installation. When a Bolo runs from a final stand, another is sent to chase it ...more
David Johnston
While Weber's quirk of describing the duel between missiles and point defense in detail is well in evidence, these are some of the best bolo stories ever written, mostly focusing on the relationship between the humans and their magical ponies...I mean cybernetic killing machines.

In Miles to Go we see the consequence of giving a Bolo a really human-like artificial intelligence.
In The Traitor we see another self-aware Bolo hunt another Bolo who did the unthinkable and ran away from the fight. Wit
Rz
arguably some of the best scifi I've read in awhile. no, none of the political nor deep seated moral conflicts and dilemmas of Card's Ender and Peter. but in its place are compelling questions about man and machine, war and peace...not to mention lots of gory death and destruction, and rip-roaring excitement. Weber drives the action with skill and finesse, so that you go away not having just read an adrenaline-washed wet dream, but a wistful meditation on duty, honour and war. four stars for goo ...more
Jimmy
Sep 21, 2008 Jimmy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans, especially those of the military genre.
Recommended to Jimmy by: Friend
Bolo! is a series of short stories in which David Weber continues the ongoing saga of the Bolo battle tanks. Bolos are gigantc, thinking, self-aware killing machines dedicated to serving humanity and fighting man's war across the galaxy. David Weber weaves a series of short stories about these behemoths that compares them to the Spartans of ancient Greece. Bolo! tells the story of armed mountains of steel that will fight to death to defend humanity from any enemy. This book is a must read for fa ...more
Jason Fischer
Smart tanks=SO MUCH FUN. Recommended.
William Emerson
Very much like the Fleet Series. Several short stories comprise this book.
Jeremy
Bolo! is, of course, a great book for anyone into the "Bolo" series, but if you're thinking of buying it be aware that 3 of the 4 short stories in this book are also in the numbered books; specifically "Miles to Go" from book 3 "The Triumphant", as well as "The Traitor" and "A Time to Kill" from book 4 "Last Stand". The fourth story "With Your Shield" is a great story as well as the setup for the book "Old Soldiers".
Tomasz Stachewicz
Bardzo fajne militarne science-fiction, podobało mi się głównie dlatego że bardziej science (i fiction) niż militarne. Co może być lepsze od gargantuicznych, samodzielnych czołgów? Myślące, gargantuiczne, samodzielne czołgi, potrafiące w pojedynkę stanowić wyzwanie dla całych armii. A kiedy jeszcze "myślące" zacznie, poza umiejętnościami taktycznymi, oznaczać także empatię...
Warto!
Micheal
Combat sci-fi with a twist of humanity inside a machine. Four stories tied together by the futuristic tank that is central to them all. Bolo is a fun read, and exactly what I would turn to when looking for an action filled story that is also thought provoking.
Lou
There wasn't really any chance that I wouldn't enjoy this - four loosely linked novella's about fully self-aware AI giant tanks, written by a favourite author. Awesome.

Read for the Seasonal Reading Challenge Fall 09 task 20.2 (ABCs: B)
Bill
Giant, self-aware tanks. Excuse me, there is an entire collection of novels I need to start reading.

The last two stories, about mankind's mutually genocidal war against the Melconians, were especially riveting.
Charles
Weber did a class act in following up on the Bolo tradition. These stories do Laumer proud and I thought they were excellent tales. If you're a fan of the Dinochrome Brigade I think you'll love these.

John Lerchey
Bolo: A giant, cybernetic tank. Heavily armed, nearly indestructible, and programmed for battle.
What's not to like?
Much better written than the Bolo stories by Kieth Laumer (who invented the Bolo).
Paul Barrett
Jun 27, 2008 Paul Barrett rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military Fiction Fans / SciFi
Recommended to Paul by: Baen Free Books
Shelves: scifi, military-scifi
If you like tanks or artificial intelegence books then you will probably enjoy reading this book. The Tanks are as big as a Walmart store so what's not to like.
Chris Low
Stupid book. Every time I read it I get something in my eyes at the end if the stories. 'Miles to Go' is the worst one. Great stories all. Love the Bolos.
Douglas
Great addition to the bolo series. I never grow tired of the conflicts of a machine designed to kill but able to show such kindness and love.
Artur Sędek
Opowiadania o czołgach obdarzonych sztuczną inteligencją. David Weber w pełnej krasie.
Eugene Debafan
Jun 22, 2008 Eugene Debafan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who likes Military Science Fiction
If you like Military Science Fiction, this is for you. Bolos kick @$%.
  • The Road to Damascus
  • Honor of the Regiment
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • The Tank Lords
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Bolo (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Bolo
  • Rogue Bolo
  • The Stars Must Wait
  • Honor of the Regiment
  • The Unconquerable: Bolos 2
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)