Start by marking “Bolo!” as Want to Read:
Bolo!

Bolo! (Bolo #14)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,912 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Bolo – inteligentne, ważące kilkanaście tysięcy ton czołgi. Zaprojektowane jako ostateczna broń lądowa, przez ponad 1300 lat broniły ludzi zarówno przed obcymi jak i przed zbuntowanymi Bolo.

David Weber w mistrzowskim stylu rozwija pomysł Keitha Laumera, pokazując jak te niezwykłe pojazdy bojowe walczyły, zwyciężały i ginęły, służąc ludziom z odwagą, honorem i poświęceniem.
Published March 3rd 2009 by Rebis (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bolo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bolo!

Aaron
Apr 02, 2014 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, for those that have read the Bolo-verse, this will probably seem pretty irreverent and ill-informed. I was only passingly familiar with this series before I read this book. To say 'incredible' in every sense of the word is my response. I think the only comparison I can draw is a passing familiarity with hard sci-fi in general or the sort of unimaginable scope in stories such as the fiction of Warhammer 40,000.

To those who don't know, the Bolo is some kind of super main battle tank developed
***Dave Hill
Dec 31, 2015 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
I've only ever been lightly into the Bolo-verse -- I read some of Laumer's original stories waaaaay back when, but knew little else. This volume (which, arguably, wraps up the entire Bolo saga through a progressive series of short stories) was a great read, dealing with the issues of machine intelligence vs human instinct, and where emotion and soul start to play a role in both. The Bolos, as ultimate fighting machines in an ever-escalating set of wars fought by Humanity against alien adversarie ...more
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a re-read, but I can't recall when I first read it. Wonderful stories! Weber does every bit as good a job as Laumer did, which is amazing. It's been years since I read Laumer's original Bolo stories, but I think you could read them back to back without a problem.

The tone, points & style are all perfect. The theme of the horror of war blended with the courage & convictions of the warriors came off very well. The last story strikes it all home wonderfully. The idea that
John Rossman
Apr 30, 2013 John Rossman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since watching Star Wars at the drive-in theater outside Wolf Point, Montana at the tender age of five, I have been a avid fan of technology (toys). BOLO is a big toy. Ok a big monster of a machine that is just awesome. I haven't read all of the BOLO books. This one is a bunch of short stories set in the BOLO universe. Even though they are short stories, they seemed to be linked as they progress. Very cool read and enjoyed it.
Ron
Nov 17, 2011 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of short stories. Some good; some not. If you've read one Bolo book you've pretty much read them all.
Al Lock
Dec 26, 2016 Al Lock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, like all the Bolo books.
Alex
"Bolo!" Another David Weber novel. I've been ill so I'm submerging myself in fun reading. Weber is best known for his military science fiction. While the characters in this book are not his own, he picks up the idea of the Bolo (a self-aware super-tank) to write a number of stories of the future great great great grandchild of the Abrams Tank.

The Bolo tank is massive and with so much computer power it has become sentient. It's alive, in a sense. It feels pain. It has emotions and it has honor.
Scott Holstad
Bolo! isn’t necessarily a bad book. It’s just that it’s not that great either, at least not by David Weber’s standards. Apparently, one Keith Laumer created the Bolo decades ago. It’s an uber-tank, one with so many uber-weapons on it, everyone in the universe knows of it and is terrified of it. Just one alone can defend an entire planet. One can level an entire city while shooting down warships attacking the planet. It’s farfetched, but intriguing as a premise. And apparently, many authors have ...more
J.D.
Four stories in one book, all of which are superb! 4/5 of this compilation of Bolo stories by David Weber were previously published in Book #3 & #4. I'm reading out of order in this series, so it was all new stuff for me. The 1st story, 'Miles To Go' is about a Bolo named Nike who was forgotten, along with her commander, on a backwater world. She's not just any Bolo though, she's a one of a kind prototype and her commander made many unofficial upgrades to her for personality matrix...80 year ...more
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Booklist

Honor Harrington's creator is gaining new honors by taking a leading role in continuing the late Keith Laumer's best-known creation, a saga about the sentient tanks known as Bolos. In "Miles to Go," one of this book's four stories, a long-obsolete Bolo repels a mercenary invasion of a harmless agricultural colony. "The Traitor" is a Bolo who dies defending some refugee children, though they urge their protector to save himself. "A Time to Kill" is straightforward, high-intensity c

Steven Cole
Jun 02, 2013 Steven Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is David Weber's addition to the pile of "Bolo" stories that many other SF authors have written. A Bolo, for those who don't know, is essentially a sentient tank, a self-award and able-to-think weapon of war in some far flung future where such things make sense.

Bolos were first conceived of by Keith Laumer, way back when, and I was never really impressed with the Laumer stories I read talking about them. David Weber does a better job, I think.

This book is a set of a number of short stories
Shawn Dvorak
Sep 07, 2013 Shawn Dvorak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Keith Laumer's "Bolo" stories, and I really enjoy David Weber's hard sci-fi future war writings so "Bolo!" is an ideal combination for me. "Bolo!" is a collection four separate novellas about the self-aware supertanks known as "bolos" that Laumer invented. These stories do include a far amount of battle action but the real focus is on the psychological aspects of thinking 30,000 ton tanks that can destroy nearly any foe with its massive fusion-powered plasma cannons. Weber's own series l ...more
David Mackey
Apr 14, 2012 David Mackey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I got this one as a gift for a birthday... and tore through it, cover to cover in two days flat... I am not entirely positive, but I think it was '08... might have been '07 though.

I don't want to put any spoilers out there for those that haven't picked this book up yet, but I think there is enough in the description to be safe saying that this is a character driven Sci-Fi of epic scale. I had, at the point of reading this never seen a computer portrayed as such a caring, emotional and tangible c
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
What a great storm day book. I just finished "Miles to Go". What happens when a researcher is forgotten with her Bolo, a new prototype, on Santa Cruz, a planet at the edge of civilization? She creates Nike, a Bolo who has learned old world poetry, and can make her own decisions. Then a war happens and all records of the Bolo in Santa Cruz are lost. Enter Lorenco Esteban, sent by the Navy to check out a forgotten Bolo installation. When a Bolo runs from a final stand, another is sent to chase it ...more
David Johnston
Jan 30, 2013 David Johnston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Weber's quirk of describing the duel between missiles and point defense in detail is well in evidence, these are some of the best bolo stories ever written, mostly focusing on the relationship between the humans and their magical ponies...I mean cybernetic killing machines.

In Miles to Go we see the consequence of giving a Bolo a really human-like artificial intelligence.
In The Traitor we see another self-aware Bolo hunt another Bolo who did the unthinkable and ran away from the fight. Wit
Patrick Shrier
Apr 08, 2014 Patrick Shrier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weber fans
Weber does a good job with the Bolo stories. In fact I can only think of a few things from Weber I disliked. That being said, Laumer does a better job at telling Bolo stories.

The stories are good and the characters realistic. What I liked the most was the way he shows how the Bolos think and the technical data at the end. A good book but it does not hold a candle to the Starfire series. All in all it is a good book to pass the time with at the dr's office but not something to rush out and buy.
Manta Rui
Dec 31, 2013 Manta Rui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
arguably some of the best scifi I've read in awhile. no, none of the political nor deep seated moral conflicts and dilemmas of Card's Ender and Peter. but in its place are compelling questions about man and machine, war and peace...not to mention lots of gory death and destruction, and rip-roaring excitement. Weber drives the action with skill and finesse, so that you go away not having just read an adrenaline-washed wet dream, but a wistful meditation on duty, honour and war. four stars for goo ...more
Jimmy
Sep 21, 2008 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans, especially those of the military genre.
Recommended to Jimmy by: Friend
Bolo! is a series of short stories in which David Weber continues the ongoing saga of the Bolo battle tanks. Bolos are gigantc, thinking, self-aware killing machines dedicated to serving humanity and fighting man's war across the galaxy. David Weber weaves a series of short stories about these behemoths that compares them to the Spartans of ancient Greece. Bolo! tells the story of armed mountains of steel that will fight to death to defend humanity from any enemy. This book is a must read for fa ...more
Jeremy
Oct 14, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bolo! is, of course, a great book for anyone into the "Bolo" series, but if you're thinking of buying it be aware that 3 of the 4 short stories in this book are also in the numbered books; specifically "Miles to Go" from book 3 "The Triumphant", as well as "The Traitor" and "A Time to Kill" from book 4 "Last Stand". The fourth story "With Your Shield" is a great story as well as the setup for the book "Old Soldiers".
Tomasz Stachewicz
Aug 26, 2013 Tomasz Stachewicz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bardzo fajne militarne science-fiction, podobało mi się głównie dlatego że bardziej science (i fiction) niż militarne. Co może być lepsze od gargantuicznych, samodzielnych czołgów? Myślące, gargantuiczne, samodzielne czołgi, potrafiące w pojedynkę stanowić wyzwanie dla całych armii. A kiedy jeszcze "myślące" zacznie, poza umiejętnościami taktycznymi, oznaczać także empatię...
Warto!
Freyja
May 27, 2016 Freyja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each story is a rather quick read (for me), but I didn't want to stop. Two of the stories I'd read elsewhere, which got me looking for other stories, which brought me to this book. I still sniffle when Nike recites that last verse of Robert Frost...

You know what they say, the first taste is free.
Charles
Dec 21, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Weber did a class act in following up on the Bolo tradition. These stories do Laumer proud and I thought they were excellent tales. If you're a fan of the Dinochrome Brigade I think you'll love these.

Micheal
Jan 08, 2013 Micheal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combat sci-fi with a twist of humanity inside a machine. Four stories tied together by the futuristic tank that is central to them all. Bolo is a fun read, and exactly what I would turn to when looking for an action filled story that is also thought provoking.
Bill
Oct 15, 2011 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giant, self-aware tanks. Excuse me, there is an entire collection of novels I need to start reading.

The last two stories, about mankind's mutually genocidal war against the Melconians, were especially riveting.
John Lerchey
May 31, 2012 John Lerchey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bolo: A giant, cybernetic tank. Heavily armed, nearly indestructible, and programmed for battle.
What's not to like?
Much better written than the Bolo stories by Kieth Laumer (who invented the Bolo).
Lou
Nov 24, 2009 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There wasn't really any chance that I wouldn't enjoy this - four loosely linked novella's about fully self-aware AI giant tanks, written by a favourite author. Awesome.

Read for the Seasonal Reading Challenge Fall 09 task 20.2 (ABCs: B)
Chris Low
Jan 08, 2013 Chris Low rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stupid book. Every time I read it I get something in my eyes at the end if the stories. 'Miles to Go' is the worst one. Great stories all. Love the Bolos.
Douglas
Aug 26, 2016 Douglas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the bolo series. I never grow tired of the conflicts of a machine designed to kill but able to show such kindness and love.
Paul Barrett
Jun 27, 2008 Paul Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military Fiction Fans / SciFi
Recommended to Paul by: Baen Free Books
Shelves: scifi, military-scifi
If you like tanks or artificial intelegence books then you will probably enjoy reading this book. The Tanks are as big as a Walmart store so what's not to like.
Berend
Berend rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
  • The Road to Damascus
  • The Unconquerable: Bolos 2
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Bolo Rising
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • The Tank Lords
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Bolo (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Bolo (Bolo #1)
  • Rogue Bolo
  • The Stars Must Wait
  • Honor of the Regiment
  • The Unconquerable: Bolos 2
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)