Start by marking “The Dawn of A To-morrow (Large Print)” as Want to Read:
The Dawn of A To-morrow (Large Print)

The Dawn of A To-morrow (Large Print)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This classic large print title is printed in 16 point Tiresias font as recommended by the Royal National Institute for the Blind
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 12th 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Dawn of A To-morrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dawn of A To-morrow

Kat
A wonderful short story, which perfectly sets forth Francis Hodgson Burnett's philosophy of life in the form of an engaging narrative of a depressed and suicidal businessman who loses his way in a London fog and meets a number of strangers who change his outlook on life. It's a lot less cheesy than it sounds, I swear. The atmosphere of the writing perfectly fits the theme, and I really liked all of the characters, particularly the beggar girl, Glad.

As someone who has always enjoyed Burnett's nov
Thom Swennes
This novella with a soap opera title surprisingly impressed me. When a depressed man decides to commit suicide, questions jump up in the reader’s mind like tin rabbits at a shooting gallery. The dismal fog that English cities are infamous for only adds to the dark powers gripping this unfortunate man. When a street urchin, prostitute and thief are added to the mix, you can be sure of a literary delicacy long to be savored and remembered. It is a truism that if others woes are known, yours don’t ...more
Jennice Mckillop
Dec 31, 2014 Jennice Mckillop rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all persons
Interesting story of a man intent on committing suicide. On the way to his place of demise, he threw a coin to a street urchin. She demanded to take him for a cup of coffee, where a thief grabbed the coin from her. Anthony chased the thief, caught him, and listened to his reason for stealing. This got him involved in the lives of the people in the neighborhood, who were in more dire conditions than he, which made him realize he had reasons to live. But there was much more to do and he got involv ...more
Sue
A slightly strange short novel by an author better known for children's fiction. Antony Dart is the hero, and we meet him in dingy lodgings (despite being, evidently, a gentleman). He is depressed, and has determined to end it all.

The style is rather gothic at first with lengthy descriptions of the London fog that was common a hundred years ago, and which is responsible, a little later on, for Antony losing his way back to his lodgings after buying a hand gun. He throws a pound to an urchin gir
Wealhtheow
This is an awful, heavy-handed, maudlin novella about a rich man who is saved from suicide by the pure, childlike faith of poor women. But amidst the sexism and classism and Faith In Jesus Solves Everything-ism, there lies Burnett's understanding of the evils of poverty. There is also a great little scene buried underneath dialect:

'"If you could do what you liked," he said, "what would you like to do?"
Her chuckle became an outright laugh.
"If I 'ad ten pounds?" she asked, evidently prepared to ad
Patricia
I came across this book while moodily wandering the stacks and checked it out partially because I'd never read any adult fiction by Burnett, but primarily because it was incredibly short and I figured I could handle it.

Had I not started reading it at 1:23 am, I probably could have finished this in one sitting. This strikes me as something that originally was serialized in a magazine at the turn of the century. Unlike most books written before 1950 and written in dialect, this was an incredibly e
Gina House
A beautifully simple novel reminding the reader that there is always love and hope in the world. We only need to look for it and believe in it's presence. I loved this book.
Doreen
the story remains relevant in the 21st century. if one is ever feeling depressed, this novella may well cure it.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/460/46...
Claudia Nelson
Quite short novel, but yet inspiring enough to for anyone who needs a pick-me upper.
Angela
One of the collection of Burnett's works that I purchased in Nook compilation form. This is essentially a story of a man at the precipice of suicide who, in a most unlikely way, learns the value of life and a means of making his own life have value to others--saving himself in the process. For all of us who wish that we had in order that we might give, this is a very powerful story.
Tara Lynn
I've read all of her children's books so often, I know some of them by heart, but this was my first forage into her books written for an adult audience. I was pleasantly surprised. I think I'll try to find more. Gutenberg has a pretty good selection.
Bish Denham
This is an EXCELLENT little story about hope and faith. I have no idea if Burnett wrote it for children or not, it seems a little mature for the younger set, and the written dialect may put some readers off. But I loved it.
Emily
A curious book, with unusual realism. I review it on my blog: http://surfeitofbooks.blogspot.com/20...
Judy
Another free Kindle book I read while in Tucson. I'll tell you about it after I finish entering all the books.
Nagisa
I didn't expect that the story would be super religious.
Tilberi
Tilberi is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2015
Bridgette Schadek
Bridgette Schadek marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Misty Hay
Misty Hay marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Katie Warren
Katie Warren marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
ZZcat
ZZcat marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Adi Gilo
Adi Gilo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...
The Secret Garden A Little Princess Little Lord Fauntleroy Sara Crewe, Or What Happened At Miss Minchin's The Lost Prince