Start by marking “The Dog Rules: 14 Secrets to Developing the Dog YOU Want” as Want to Read:
The Dog Rules: 14 Secrets to Developing the Dog YOU Want

The Dog Rules: 14 Secrets to Developing the Dog YOU Want

In this groundbreaking guide, elite dog trainer Kyra Sundance reveals the path to helping your dog be a reliable partner and true member of your family. Kyra -- a world-acclaimed Stunt Dog Team performer, nationally ranked dog sports competitor, and movie dog trainer -- holds the human-dog bond at the heart of her training method. She cares for her dogs with tenderness, tr ...more
Published March 10th 2009 by Touchstone (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Rules

Ashley
Aug 14, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All dog owners
Sundance does a great job of outlining basic rules on interacting with your dog, expectations, relationship, following commands, etc. Each chapter covered a rule and Sundance has an easy, conversational style. Most importantly, though, her rules make sense. I've summarized them briefly below and made lots of personal notes for myself to use with Bentley.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone he needs to work with their dog on major issues (as this sets a great groundwork), wants to improve b
Peggy
Mar 27, 2009 Peggy rated it liked it
Couldn't get into this book. I am sure Ms. Sundance had some good ideas. I skimmed through parts of it. Her approach that better training is needed for most dogs and the Human-dog bond is strong and you can change your dog's behavior by working with them through the bonds you have with them.

Wonder if I couldn't get into the book because right now I have 12 foster dogs plus 10 of my own at my house? Don't have much time to concentrate on things these days.
Anna
Jul 06, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, dog
So many books are all about positive reinforcement only but it doesn't always work when there is sometime more interesting (e.g. squirrels) nearby. I appreciated the sections of consequences and pressure and release as mild, firm way to assert control for the dog's safety. There were an awful lot of personal stories, which isn't really my cup of tea.
Caralee
Aug 20, 2009 Caralee rated it really liked it
This was a nice book about dog training that talks about the subtle things you need to know and the best rules to have your dog follow. One thing I liked about this book is her discussion about using praise, touch, and treat in that order to motivate your dog to value all of them as much as food.
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Debi
Debi rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Crystal Male
Crystal Male rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Mauricio Espinosa
Mauricio Espinosa rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
Janet Deaton
Janet Deaton rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
Kyra
Kyra rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Jacklyn
Jacklyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Suzanne Schubert Watson
Suzanne Schubert Watson rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Joanne Shortell
Joanne Shortell rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Maja
Maja rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2013
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Aivaras
Aivaras rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Tracey
Tracey rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Dnov23
Dnov23 rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Cora
Cora rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Lilien
Lilien rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
SometimesIWonder
SometimesIWonder rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2014
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016