Start by marking “The Ant Colony” as Want to Read:
The Ant Colony

The Ant Colony

Number 33 Georgiana Street houses many people and yet seems home to none. Life there is a kind of ordered chaos. Like ants, they scurry about their business, crossing paths, following their own tracks, no questions asked. But it doesn't take much to upset the balance. Dig deep enough and you'll find that everyone has something to hide.
Published March 1st 2009 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ant Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ant Colony

Harsha Priolkar
Feb 15, 2012 Harsha Priolkar rated it it was amazing
This book found me! You know the feeling when you're browsing a bookshop, looking for something to read, although you already have loads of unread books at home, because none of them seems like quite the 'right' read at the time? And suddenly, there it is, staring you in the face, a yellow-green cover with an interesting title and an unusual author's name! So, I bought it of course! And read it from cover to cover in just over two hours. It's that kind of book!

An easy read, simple yet powerful s
Anna
Feb 13, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
I've read a couple of Jenny Valentine's books in the past (Finding Violet Park and The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight) and a few things have struck me...

1) She is very good at plot. I'm always a bit sceptical when picking up a book labelled as a 'mystery' because I am invariably disappointed. Having been brought up on a rigorous diet of Agatha Christie, I have very high mystery standards and quite like my mysteries to be very mysterious. Jenny Valentine has won me over before by being successf
Rachel
Sep 30, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
The narrative of this book is split between two characters - seventeen year old Sam and ten year old Bohemia. The story is set in London, in a block of flats that house an unusual collection of people. While the language in this book is beautiful and vivid, it does take a little bit to get into. That being said, it keeps the reader guessing the whole way through - I was constantly wondering what it was that Sam did that made him just pack up and leave for London without telling anyone for exampl ...more
Ape
Oct 18, 2011 Ape rated it it was ok
Shelves: england
Lydia57
Mar 06, 2016 Lydia57 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and it is a short quick read at only 216 pages. The book focuses on a 17 year old boy called Sam and a 10 year old girl called Bohemia, with them narrating alternate chapters. There lives are brought together when they are both living at number 33 Georgiana Street. They have both had difficult lives. Bo’s mum barely looks after her, going from man to man and leaving her regularly to survive on her own. Sam is running away from what has happened back at home. We meet th ...more
Varsha Seshan
Jan 15, 2013 Varsha Seshan rated it it was amazing
I just kept reading it until I had finished! It's one of those books that makes you smile and cry and wonder.
I read one with a different cover illustration, and loved the design of the book too, with ants crawling randomly (or perhaps not so randomly, if Max is to be believed) on pages all over the book.
It was a book that made me feel for the characters after a long time. So many books that I've read recently have concentrated on complexity of plot at the cost of fullness of character. This on
Zazou
May 02, 2012 Zazou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naarmate het boek vorderde begon ik het steeds beter te vinden. In het begin dacht ik dat ik ergens overheen gelezen had: Wie is Max? Teruggebladerd, maar ik kon het niet vinden. Aan het eind van het boek wordt alles duidelijk.

Waarom het boek "De mierenkolonie" heet, lees je op blz. 196: Mieren krijgen in hun eentje niet veel voor elkaar, maar presteren samen iets onvoorstelbaars.

En zo is het.
Felicitas Träumer
Jun 10, 2011 Felicitas Träumer rated it really liked it
A 17-year-old leaves his home on the country side because he has made a big mistake and can't bear the looks of the people who know. He goes to London to be alone. Then an old lady convinces him to meet the neighbours, including Bohemia, a ten-year-old girl. They become friends and the little girl changes everyone's lives.

An amazingly moving story and definitely also worth reading when not a child anymore...
Catherine  Mustread
Mar 26, 2009 Catherine Mustread marked it as to-read
Recommended to Catherine by: Telegraph
Shelves: teen
Telegraph: The book deals with failing parents and running away, but its positive conclusion prevents it getting too distressing. It is charmingly written and the straightforward language makes it suitable for preteens and young teenagers, a younger audience than that for Valentine’s previous books.
Guy
May 08, 2009 Guy rated it liked it
Mooie jeugdroman voor wat jongere tieners, over vriendschap en eenzaamheid en schuldgevoel en hoe ermee om te gaan, dat je erdoor jaagt op een uurtje (of twee, voor de tragere lezers). Beetje halfzacht door die mierenmetafoor, maar die perceptie is dan vooral te wijten aan Dennis Cooper en z’n geweldfantasieën hierboven. (***)
Jordan Valentine
Jul 29, 2013 Jordan Valentine rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of the best books I've read by an amazing author. The pace is never too fast or too slow, there's always something making me want to read more and can finish in a day. She has created some gripping, interesting and lifelike characters, making me feel like I know each character personally.
Would definitely recommend, especially to anyone looking for something after Broken Soup.
Tjala
Feb 21, 2012 Tjala rated it really liked it
jenn valentine is one of the only authors i have resad thatwrites booksso difereent to anyone else, but jast as beautiful. she is a fantastic author and this book is no exception!! each character has there own story entertwined in one house, creating a beautyiful my steriuos book that i reccomend for everyone that likes something different!
Kerem Mermutlu
Jun 06, 2011 Kerem Mermutlu rated it it was ok
Was hoping for really good things here, but found the characters very one dimensional and kind of boring. The voice of the little girl was cute, but the main character Sam was nothing. I didn't like this book, but i still wanted to finish it, strange. Anyway, I might read her other books but only from the library.
Hedwig Sondervan
Apr 08, 2015 Hedwig Sondervan rated it liked it
This was not really my type of book, i thought very boring jn the beginning but WOW, the end gave me goosebumps, and not in a good way. What a horrible story. Too bad you never get to find out if Cherry keeps her promises..
Marianne Brouwer
Dec 15, 2013 Marianne Brouwer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed geschreven jeugdroman vanuit het perspectief van verschillende personages waarin de thema's verwaarlozing, drankmisbruik en en weglopen aan de kaak worden gesteld. De vraag die centraal staat is:
'Kun je weglopen uit je leven en opnieuw beginnen'?
Chloe
Dec 11, 2012 Chloe rated it really liked it
The Ant Colony was a book I really enjoyed.
Narrated by both 17-year-old Sam and 10-year-old Bohemia, they both share their unique stories. The entire situation is what makes this book so interesting and captivating. I highly reccomend it.
Nicely done, Valentine.
Amy T
Apr 06, 2016 Amy T rated it really liked it
This book was something I'd not heard of before but I have really enjoyed it and will definitely read more by Jenny Valentine in the future. It's quite a light, easy read and I would recommend it. It was deeper than I thought it would be and I like that in a book. :)
Fauziyyah Arimi
Oct 07, 2014 Fauziyyah Arimi rated it liked it
Its not the book for someone who has 50 first-pages rule, BUT if you spare your patience enough you'd get rewarded by the surprise at the end.
Clarabel
Nov 15, 2011 Clarabel rated it liked it
J'ai ressenti trop de tristesse et d'agacement au cours de ma lecture, j'espérais y trouver autre chose. Je suis un peu déçue.
Jayne
Sep 12, 2011 Jayne rated it it was amazing
It's a good read for readers of all ages, although I think it would be considered teen fiction.

I recommend reading Paper Towns by John Green next.
Larissa
Jun 11, 2009 Larissa rated it really liked it
This book is for tweens, a friend gave it to me and it's a sweet story. I enjoyed this very quick read- dealt with a lot of serious issues, but I liked the voice of it and the character development.
Stefanie
Aug 28, 2014 Stefanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Pretty good but the ending seemed unresolved. Were Sam's parents happy to have him home? Did he make it up with Max? Did Cherry stop drinking and start looking after Bohemia properly?
Clarissa Amabel
Nov 19, 2009 Clarissa Amabel rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
I liked the characters and how the story unfolds. I like how the author described London and Camden Town, and how she compared the city to the country life. Good read!
CLV Library
Jul 16, 2011 CLV Library rated it liked it
A sad story but an involving one about Sam's chaotic life with her mum.
Like Jacqueline Wilson but better!
Eveline
Eveline rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Moondust
Moondust rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Shana
Shana rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Raychul
Raychul rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician, #2)
  • We Can Be Heroes
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • Extreme Kissing
  • De hemel van Heivisj
  • Yankee Girl
  • The Lost Realm (The Chronicles Of Fantasy Kingdom #1)
  • Survivor (Alone, #2)
  • Mzzlmeiden
  • A Sea of Stars
  • Monster
  • Midwife on Call: Tales of Tiny Miracles
  • Truth Cookie
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • Journal Secret Du Petit Poucet
  • Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two: A Gypsy Family's Hard Times and Happy Times on the Road in the 1950s
  • Moon Pie
  • Drummer Girl
Jenny Valentine moved house every two years when she was growing up. She has just moved house again, probably not for the last time. She worked in a wholefood shop in Primrose Hill for fifteen years where she met many extraordinary people and sold more organic loaves than there are words in her first novel. She has also worked as a teaching assistant and a jewellery maker. She studied English Lite ...more
More about Jenny Valentine...