Start by marking “El último dragón” as Want to Read:
El último dragón

Byron Preiss

El último dragón

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Somewhere beyond the northern mists lies a land where dreams live and dragons are real. This is the tale of the twilight of the dragons, of two nations plunged into war by a tragic misunderstanding, of a shy dreamer's incredible voyage of peace to a long-forgotten land where nightmares are born. A magnificient creation, a sweeping epic of high fantasy set in a richly imagi ...more
Published (first published January 1979)

To ask other readers questions about El último dragón, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El último dragón

Janeen-san
I will try to give this long book the long book review it deserves. Last year, I was desperately searching the shelvs of my local library's spring book sale. My brother claimed he saw a bearded man walk out with ALL the fantasy books in the entire place. My brother and I were deeply disappointed and angry. We loved and still love fantasy. How could that man have taken all of the fantasy books? Surely not.
At last I found one that looked promising.
DRAGONWORLD.
I was filled with curiosity. Would th
Jeannie
My mother gave this book to me one Christmas many years ago while I was still in college. I remember that she was pretty proud of herself for indulging my appetite for fantasy literature. This book, along with several others made for one of my most memorable Christmas gifts.

I read much of the book on the plane back to Salt Lake City. I hate flying and it made the journey a lot less painful. 30+ years later I still remember much of the story and can see the images that played across my imaginatio
Jonathan Boyd
May 29, 2007 Jonathan Boyd rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fantasy fan.
Despite the oddly generic title, Dragonworld is a deep, unique fantasy story of a quality to rival the modern fantasy greats.

Dragonworld revolves around a largely meaningless war between two nations, magical Simbala and rural Fandora, sparked by a tragic misunderstanding and an ancient mystery. At the heart of this lie a lonely, brave hermit with a heart of gold; a grief-wracked, furious father; and an enigmatic, misunderstood danger.

On the eve of total defeat Fandora goes to aid of Simbala, who
alice
Fin da subito sappiamo quale mistero si cela dietro le morti dei bambini, ma non per questo il libro risulta meno piacevole.
Non vedevo l'ora di arrivare al "Punto d'Incontro", ovvero le pagine in cui finalmente Simbalesi e Fandoriani si sarebbero incontrati e scontrati.
La visione dei Draghi e dei Dragoni di questo libro è "innovativa", tanto quanto lo può essere un libro di oltre 30 anni :)

Spoiler e domande varie che mi sono posta!
Ho solo quale dubbio che non si è risolto con l'avanzare della le
Justin Lambert
May 16, 2012 Justin Lambert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
I finally finished Dragonworld yesterday, and I took the remainder of the day to digest it.

This was a truly well-written fantasy novel with all the right pieces to the puzzle. The heroes (there are several) were flawed and real, the villians (there were also several) were sympathetic and entirely three-dimensional. The plot was large enough to fill the space without getting out of hand or too mired in itself to enjoy.

In the end, it was a perfect self-contained epic fantasy which left the door o
Ian Banks
Johan is a young boy living in one of the farming villages of Fandora. One day he steals a glider designed by his friend, the reclusive inventor Amsel. He is killed mysteriously, but his father Jondalrun believes the culprit to be Simbala, the wealthy country across the water, ruled by the controversial Hawkwind. Jondalrun leads his country to declare war upon the Simbalese. Meanwhile, Amsel has decided that he must discover the truth of what happened to Johan and journeys further than he ever d ...more
Timothy Boyd
Only an OK fantasy story. Didn't really hold my interest. Not recommended
Amy
Incredibly written! It was not at all what I was expecting from the title or the synopsis. Rather than being about the dragons, the main story focuses on the people of two separate countries and how they are affected by the actions of the creatures.

While it is a wonderfully intricate story, it is not complex or confusing. The characters work wonderfully off each other and they stay true to who they are.

It is a long book, but certainly never boring.
Benjamin Thomas
I first read this novel about 15 years ago and always wondered why it was never reprinted. It is a well-told tale, enjoyable to read, and in a style reminiscent of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. The characters interact well together and there is excellent depth to them. It is not predictable nor does it fit into the tight little cliched fantasy that is so prevalent today. If you want a solid fantasy read, this is a pretty good one.
Christi Lupher
I read this my first time bareboating in the Florida Keys. I recall feeling that the combination of sailing and reading about windships was a lovely one.
Michael Karriker
The book started off pretty slow, with a lot of background on main and minor characters until about page 200. Then the book picked up pace towards the main conflict. The book then took up a run by splitting between four or five different points of view. From there, it was an all out sprint to the end...and it was worth all the effort. Great book. Worth adding to the permanent collection.
Arlene Allen
Such a striking feat of world building! Fantasy of the late '70s and early '80s seems so original - I guess it was a second golden age, if you will. It's rare to find a fantasy novel, especially a stand alone, tht could go head to head with these books. (Unless we talk about Kage Baker and Brandon Sanderson, two cuts far above the rest).
Cameron
Sep 12, 2007 Cameron rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
The illustrations (pen and ink style) in this book are very well done and are a nice addition to the story. The book, while not one of my favorites, was still compelling and I found myself wanting to read just a little more in order to find out what would happen next.
F.J. Hansen
I discovered this book in my high school's library, just as my thirst for dragons was starting to bloom.

I found the story to be wonderfully thought out and very interesting. The illustrations were an interesting feature, and all well placed and effective.
April
Thoroughly delightful! I enjoyed the bit of war equals bad morality play, loved the concept of windships and was entranced by many of the players in this lovely fantasy. The artwork throughout was simply lovely. Five of five for this one!
Nikki Coble
An amazing book! Awesome plot, story, characters and description. The way that the book is written is unique and that adds to the richness of the story! A highly recommended book that will keep you on your toes and wanting more!
Deane Foster Schulze III
Great fairy tale! The illustrations are amazing and really capture the tone of the book. This is one to pass down to a youngster. I'm currently search for my hardback copy....where could it be ;)
Patrick
The author creates a fantastic world, and book comes complete with some amazing pencil illustrations. Still, a bit too long for its own good. "Dragonworld" was a real struggle to finish.
deliabookworm
A long, sweeping, romantic epic, filled with lovely prose and agonizing misunderstandings vaguely reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. Decidedly cliched, but a beautiful book nonetheless.
Rachel
I found this at the library randomly last year and I am so glad that I did. This is a lovely novel about dragons and little people. I hope to make it part of my collection.
Bill
Boy, does this cover take me back. Another one of the books in my post-Tolkein, teenage dive in to fantasy in the 80s. I do remember liking it, but that's about it.
Nathan
this book is a must for dragon lovers, and is a fantastic fantasy read in its own right. give it a shot, you will not be dissapointed.
Todd
slightly dry at points, but really interesting material for a book about hobbits and dragons.. hey, wait!
Mike (the Paladin)
A book for younger readers. I picked it up some years ago and found a nice but very simple story.
Myst
[[ NICE middle earth fantasy story... so love the pencil illustration... hate the drakes... ^^,
Henry Mahone
Wars are hard enough for provincial introverts to stop without dragons being jerks.
Joe Lapp
Most inspirational book I read as a child. Read it again as an adult and still loved it.
Jill
The book is good, but the illustrations by Joseph Zucker are amazing!
Angelof
Great book since I like King's court drama stories.
Dwer
stilted. full of fanatics
  • Requiem's Song (Dawn of Dragons, #1)
  • Dragon Rule
  • Dragons of War (Bazil Broketail, #3)
  • The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Silverlock
  • Cats Have No Lord
  • The Scars of Ambition (The Cumerian Unraveling, #1)
  • Bitterwood (Dragon Age, #1)
  • The Last Dragonlord (Dragonlord, #1)
  • Nifft the Lean
  • The Shattered World
  • The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power: Volume One)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm
  • Urshurak (A Bantam Book)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • Merlin's Bones
Byron Preiss was the president of Byron Preiss Visual Publications and Ibooks, and was recognized as a pioneer in digital publishing. He was among the first publishers to release CD-ROM's and electronic books.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Preiss graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1972 and earned a master's degree in communications from Stanford University. He produced The Words of Gandhi,
More about Byron Preiss...
The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors The Illustrated Roger Zelazny The Ultimate Werewolf Weird Heroes Volume 1 The Ultimate Dragon