Start by marking “Eine Handvoll Hund: [Ein Dackelkind Wird Geboren]” as Want to Read:
Eine Handvoll Hund: [Ein Dackelkind Wird Geboren]

Eine Handvoll Hund: [Ein Dackelkind Wird Geboren]

"Puppies are irresistible and so is this revised and expanded book graphically illustrating the birth and early life of a Norfolk terrier puppy....A gem for preschoolers and a sure bet for older youngsters who just won't be able to turn down a chance to enjoy such a warm experience."--Booklist. "Excellent in every way."--Kirkus Reviews.
Published 1982 by O. Maier (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Eine Handvoll Hund, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eine Handvoll Hund

Philip Carlson
This book follows the first weeks of a puppy's life and is intended to inform the reader of the growth and development that takes place during this time. The book begins with the mother dog preparing her nest box for the arrival of the new puppies. Shortly after birth, the mother takes care of the puppies by licking them clean, feeding them, and keeping them comfortable. As the puppies grow, their eyes and ears begin to open, they start eating solid foods, and they begin standing on their own. ...more
Andrew
Jan 20, 2010 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Summary: This is a picture book about the birth and first few weeks of a puppies life. Along with the narrative are some photos of the birth and life of this puppy that children of all ages can enjoy. The photos in shown in the book just make you want to take the puppies home! This is also great book for dog lovers and those wanting to know about the early life of a puppy. This book was recommended by Reading Rainbow.

Written by Joanna Cole and Photographs by Margaret Miller

Audience: Grades K-4

So
Karen
Aug 19, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. I had read it as a child when my Poodle, Buffy, was pregnant. My mom said I followed along with this book as the dog was going into labor and through having the pups. I guess I wanted to make sure she was OK through the process. It is such a sweet book for kids with adorable pictures of mamma dog and pups. I would give this book to anyone who has a dog expecting a litter.
Oceana2602
Mar 26, 2009 Oceana2602 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was one of my frist "real" books ever! I was a great doglover even as a kid, and Dackel/Dachshounds had and still have a special place in my heart, because my first dog-love was one. This books shows the birth and growing up of a dachshound in wonderful, simple black-and-white pictures. The accompanying text is easy and aimed at first/second-graders.
This book is really special to me.
Peacegal
Thanks to resources such as this, parents don't have that tiring excuse "I want to show my kids the miracle of life" for letting the family pet birth unwanted litters. The birth and growth process of puppies is closely followed with color photos.
Tanya
Mar 03, 2016 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, i-own-it
I still have this book from when I was a little girl. I read it so many times and fantasized about how it would be for my dog to have puppies. That finally did happen, and it didn't live up to this book!
Ally
Sep 02, 2015 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New puppy must-read for the toddler/preschool crowd.
Marshmallowlemonade
Mar 05, 2013 Marshmallowlemonade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, non-fiction
Pretty graphic (but good) pictures of a puppy's birth.
Susan
Jun 14, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and informative. Points for having the puppy be a Norfolk terrier which is the dog I want someday.
Theresa
Aug 11, 2012 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
kids think its gross and will show each other it as a curiosity.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
the picture grosses the kids out but it shows them the reality of child birth and mother hood
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2011
Ariana
Ariana rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Isabelle Zierenberg
Isabelle Zierenberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2010
Virginia, Sal, & Hugo
Virginia, Sal, & Hugo rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
May 08, 2012
George
George rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2010
Linz
Linz rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2010
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2010
Steven Chang
Steven Chang rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Holly M.
Holly M. rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Kian
Kian rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2016
Liesl
Liesl rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Alvana
Alvana rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...