Start by marking “Heart of the Assassin” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Assassin

Heart of the Assassin (Assassin Trilogy #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The third volume in the wildly entertaining epic trilogy that began with "Prayers for the Assassin"--where a retired shadow warrior and his wife battle to save a futuristic America con- tolled by an Islamic regime.With its neo-Orwellian setting and "genuinely fright- ening" ("The New York Times") premise in which most of the United States has become an Islamic republic, Ro ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Scribner (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Assassin

James Thane
Set in 2045, this is the concluding volume in Robert Ferrigno's Assassin trilogy. A devious and ambitious one hundred and fifty year-old character called the Old One dreams of creating a Muslim Caliphate under his own rule. He's been laboring on the project for years (and through the two previous books in this series, Prayers for the Assassin and Sins of the Assassin). As part of the scheme, years earlier, he planted suitcase nukes in New York, Washington, D.C. and Mecca.

In the aftermath of the
After reading (listening to) the first two in the trilogy, I was ecstatic to find that my local library had this ready to check out. Each book of the trilogy is well-encapsulated, but builds into the third book. The first two were so moving that the third was somewhat of a letdown. The world Ferrigno created in book one was so wild, but I now feel somewhat comfortable in the continuing craziness. The stakes didn't seem as high as the earlier books, and there was more political risk than personal ...more
I hadn't read the previous two books in Ferrigno's Assassin series but I saw a favorable review and decided to give it a try. The style and plot of the book was remindful of the "Dune" series so brilliantly written by Frank Herbert. It had a similar science fiction political conflict but not the master philosophical depth that the Dune books had.
Assassin takes place in an America of the not too distant future of 2045. America has been fractured by civil war and is divided into The Islamic Republ
Nov 15, 2011 KarenC rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to KarenC by: series
Concluding novel in Ferrigno's futuristic Assassin trilogy. Prayers for the Assassin and Sins of the Assassin were more interesting and had a higher level of suspense. Made the mistake of reading Sins prior to Prayers to meet a personal goal to read Edgar Award nominees; that was a mistake. In my opinion the trilogy is better read in order as a set. Certain events and character moves will be better understood as you watch them develop through the full series.
The story took on more relevance
This third installment in the Assassin trilogy follows our hero, the Fedayeen warrior Rakkim Epps, as he tries to... what exactly? I was never clear on his goal. I think it is to reunite the former United States, which we learn in the first book dissolved into the Islamic Republic and the Bible Belt following a civil war in 2017. Although in that dispute I wasn't sure who we were supposed to be rooting for; I decided to stop trying to figure it out and accept that both "countries" had flaws and ...more
Michael Lewyn
Not as ambitious or as engaging as the first two books in the trilogy. Too much fighting, not enough about the alternate societies he created in the first two books.
Sal Fernz
Such imagination, violence, sensuality and hope.
James Wilde
Didn't finish the audiobook... poorly written; poorly read
Almost stopped reading this book after 100 pages or so, but kept going and was glad I did. The story and plot are intriguing, but the characters are not very well developed and to be blunt, I didn't care who lived or died. In the future, the country is run by Muslims and Evangelists, with hypocrites and power hungry leaders on all sides. The plot jumped around but was easy to follow. This book would have been better if I had somebody to root for.
The third 'Assassin' novel. Just as hot dang action grabbing as the first two and every thing is neatly tied in a bow at the end.

Rakkim, the hero, has grown over the three novels that make up this series. A Sci-Fi novel only because it is set 30 or 40 years in the future. Nothing 'off putting' in the scientific/technical realm.

A great read. I thoroughly enjoyed all three novels in the series and they were of the 'can't put down' genre.
Dec 12, 2009 CT rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: thriller
A bitter sweet ending to a fine trilogy. PRAYERS FOR THE ASSASSIN and SINS OF THE ASSASSIN were much better, since it was pretty obvious how Ferrigno was going to end the last book of the series. I still enjoyed the characters and will miss being in Ferrigno's alternative reality. I recommend the trilogy to anyone who is interested in thrillers and religion.
The final chapter in the trilogy. You have to read this series. The concept is fascinating, the writing is gripping, and the story takes your breath away. A divided America. A corrupted America. Will it reunite? Survive? Ever be anywhere close to the same that it once was? A post-apocalyptic tale with a very timely twist. You'll devour it.
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, but it petered out a bit in this final installment. The characterization that drove previous installments gets a bit thin here, so it just does have the same drive. A shame, but worth it to see how it ends.
Jul 30, 2011 Jayw added it
Lots of action in the Assassin series. Full of politics & intrigue in in post apocalypse US with a Muslim area, religious right area, open area and an emergent Mexico. The hero is the Muslim assassin Rakkim Epps. Read em all but the 1st 2 are the best of the trilogy
Stephen Kennedy
I read the previous 2 novels in the series. I enjoyed the way this wraps up the story and concludes the series. If you liked the previous 2 books in the series you will more than likely enjoy this one.
I only finished this book because I had read the other two and was on an airplane with nothing else to read. Don't waste your time. Not quite bad enough for a 1 star, but I thought about it.
I have really enjoyed this futuristic alternative history trilogy. What more can I say except that I was up late last night reading the last 150 pages because I couldn't put it down.
Kind of a disappointing ending. I thought it was the weakest of the 3 books and that he rushed the end of this one just to tie up the loose ends.
Pretty good science fiction thriller. The hero is a Muslim in a sort-of post apocalyptic USA. Didn't read the 1st 2 in the series - wish I had.
Sep 04, 2009 Janis added it
I read this without knowing that it was the third in a series. It was a wild ride. I will be going back to read the first two.
Christian Barraza
Great finish to the series. I must admit, I was surprised by the outcome. I wasn't expecting it. Still, highly recommended.
A fine ending to the trilogy.
Just love Rikki and Sarah....
Just not my cup of tea.
Oct 10, 2012 Bill marked it as to-read
Book 3
Domenic Grande
Domenic Grande is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2015
David Bartek
David Bartek marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
  • Resident Evil: Extinction
  • Deep Winter
  • Zombie, Illinois
  • Exodus (Hellgate: London, #1)
  • Autumn: The Human Condition
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Mirrored Heavens (Autumn Rain #1)
  • Scardown (Jenny Casey, #2)
  • Lady Justice and the Candidate
  • The Archbishop in Andalusia (Blackie Ryan, #17)
  • Winner Lose All
  • The Bone Polisher (Simeon Grist Mystery, #6)
  • End of Days (From the Fire, #1)
  • Shenandoah (Mother Earth, # 2)
  • The Book of Khalid
  • Fidel's Last Days
  • The Change of Seasons (299 Days, #7)
  • Feral (Kyn Warriors, #3)
Robert Ferrigno is an American author of crime novels and of speculative fiction. I've written twelve novels in the last twenty years, most crime thrillers. Sins of the Assassin was a finalist for the Edgar, Best Novel, by the Mystery Writers of America in 2008, and my comic short story, "Can I Help You Out?" won the Silver Dagger, Best Short Story, by the Mystery Association of Great Britain.

More about Robert Ferrigno...

Assassin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Prayers for the Assassin