Start by marking “A Fine Specimen” as Want to Read:
A Fine Specimen

A Fine Specimen

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,281 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Previously released as "Taming Nick"

Lieutenant Alex Cruz eats, sleeps and breathes law enforcement. He's tough and brusque, and cops and criminals alike tremble before him. And that's the way he likes it. Until he meets Caitlin Summers--and decides he wants her trembling beneath him.

The beautiful scholar is doing dissertation research in his cop shop, and seriously messing
Published March 25th 2009 by Ellora's Cave (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Specimen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Specimen

Mo
Jan 20, 2017 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I have read a few books by LMR and, to be honest, they are all more or less the same. The same formula: hot, rugged, tough as nails hero. Younger, more timid heroine. Alex Cruz is never going to fall in love. He loves his job, his independence and, no siree, his heart will never be taken. Famous last words.

He has to sort of mentor Caitlin, as per instructions from his Boss. He is not happy. He has bad guys to catch. He cannot be babysitting some student! But then he sees her! Instant a
Auntee
Mar 25, 2009 Auntee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the author; Fans of hot romance
Loved it. What else can I say, I'm a big fan of Lisa Marie Rice and her uber alpha heroes, and she almost never lets me down. From what I've heard, this book is a re-working of the book "Taming Nick", and I can imagine what must have been "re-worked". I'm sure the language was spiced up (lots of "f" words and more), sex scenes more vividly and graphically described, and generally what must have been a PG rated book was turned into an R rated (and at times NC-17) book. But what can I say, I knew ...more
Dina
Mar 25, 2009 Dina rated it really liked it
I love LMR's heroes and Alex Cruz is no exception. :)

This book was lighter and funnier than I was expecting, with Caitlin's clumsiness a source of constant teasing by Alex, and it had all the markings of a romantic comedy. But being a LMR book, it had to have some gun fighting at the end - not a big one, but climatic enough to make Alex realize his feelings for Caitlin.

I really liked this book and will keep LMR as one of my auto-buy authors, but I'm beginning to wonder if she'll ever reach as hi
Julie (jjmachshev)
Mar 25, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
Can Lisa Marie Rice write a bad book? I don't think so. All I know is her heroes make me tingle in the most delicious way! "A Fine Specimen" is her latest e-book. It's an expanded version of her 2000 Zebra book "Taming Nick" under the name Elizabeth Jennings and it's guaranteed to raise your blood pressure in the best way.

Caitlin is a grad student working on her dissertation in law enforcement psychology. Her last project is a hands-on study and when her favorite instructor sets her up in his ol
Kathrynn
Jun 19, 2009 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Auntee
Loved it! Lisa Marie Rice/Elizabeth Jennings is one of my favorite authors. Her style, her stories, her characters just do "it" for me. This was no different. A quick read with no slow parts. Not really a suspense, but more of a contemporary, albeit, very hot, romance set in southern California around a police station. Alex was the lieutenant (promoted to captain) and Caitlin was there to finalize her dissertation on law (alpha males) by using his squadron (him) for research.

Alex was glued to h
Kathleen
Nov 28, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
I was only 29 pages into this book and thought WTF! There where so many similarities between the H&H's from this book and from Ports Of Paradise that I was thinking maybe it was not such a good idea that I read these two book's back to back. As I read on, this story grabbed a hold of me and tugged me into it. I felt the love scenes in this book not quite as good as the love scenes in Ports Of Paradise but needless to say they where still smoking HOT. While on the other hand, for me the story ...more
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
A 3.5 to 4 star read.

Lieutenant Alex Cruz eats, sleeps and breathes law enforcement.

They loved him. They hated him. They respected him. And they all deeply, deeply wanted him to get a life so he would get off their backs......
"Guy's a genius at anticipating a criminal's next move, it's like he's got a sixth sense for it. And with all that, for all his smarts, he doesn't have a clue about emotions or feelings. Not his or anyone else's. Not a clue"

Caitlin Summers is doing dissertation research
Lyndi
Mar 18, 2015 Lyndi rated it did not like it
Shelves: so-gross
That was tedious and I fully admit to skimming some of the longer scenes of contemplation. Alex is a pretty shitty boyfriend/lover/whatever. Caitlyn is entirely too stuck inside her own head. I almost DNF'd it when Alex spent multiple scenes not listening to Caitlyn and instead just nodding in agreement while staring at her tits and wondering what kind of panties she's wearing. And when he fucks up, he fucks up pretty badly. And he didn't even apologize - he gets away scot-free because of a "omg ...more
Jane Stewart
It felt thrown together. I didn’t enjoy it. It needed better plot and character development.

STORY BRIEF:
While Captain Avery is on vacation, Lieutenant Alex Cruz is in charge at the police station. Caitlin is a Ph.D. doing research. Avery sends a message to Alex requiring him to assist Caitlin and to let her interview and observe police officers for a week. Alex hates it, but he grudgingly allows it. He takes her to lunch. They begin to fall for each other.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I don’t recommend it.
Fanny
Apr 21, 2016 Fanny rated it liked it

A Fine Specimen es una novela independiente creada por la autora Lisa Marie Rice y tiene a Alex y Caitlin como protagonistas.
Despues de la desilucion que me lleve al leer La Ley De Murphy ( que no fue para nada lo que esperaba ) tenia un poco de " miedo " de leer esta historia, pero afortunadamente esta lectura si cumplio mis expectativas.
Una novela entretenida, muy divertida ( me moria de la risa con lo patosa que era la protagonista ) y con la cantidad justa de accion.
Recomendada a todas las
Dísir
Sadly, I found this just...terrible. Jaw-clenching, eye-rolling, incredulous-laughter-inducing dismal.

Written with cliché upon cliché on every level, from the metaphorical alpha animal predator/innocent-ish prey behaviour to the inflated writing where both parties' bits suddenly take on a life of their own, to spurting body fluids everywhere, every page got more and more difficult to read.

I couldn't envision a doctoral student behaving like a spoilt juvenile, just as I couldn't imagine a hard-
Maria Rose
Caitlin's graduate studies in psychology with a focus on historical police work leads her to Alex's police station, where she's got permission from his boss Ray (whom he owes a big favour) to spend a week studying dominance in the work force. And there is certainly no better place to check out alpha tendencies then the bustling and hardworking local cop shop. She expects Alex to be the alpha male from everything she's heard, and he doesn't disappoint. What she doesn't expect is for his interest ...more
Rinou
The main couple is typical LMR's characters, the sex scenes are steamy and well written, but there are too many very long inner thoughts, and the reader is left waiting for the story to go on.
And most of all, have Alex and Caitlin ever heard about that thing called communication? Instead of assuming what the other one wants or feels, they should have talked a little, that would have saved them some heartache and me some frustration. But no, it's better to just say nothing and wait for the other
Pamela(AllHoney)
Cute little story. Alex is definitely the uber alpha type and Caitlin is a bit of a klutz. It was interesting to see the big bad cop turning into a lovesick fool. lol.
Brenda
Feb 19, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-plain, meh
Sex scenes were hot but just that.
Very average...
MBR
4 Stars Yowzastic Goodness!

Apart from the cover of this book which I just loathe, I loved every single thing about this very hot and well done novel by Lisa Marie Rice. Previously released and entitled as "Taming Nick", A Fine Specimen tells the story of how Alex, the lieutenant at Baylorville PD falls like a ton of bricks for the sweet, sexy and beautiful Caitlin Summers.

38 year old Alejandro Cruz (Alex) lives and breathes police procedure. Alex had grown up in one of the poorest ares of Bayl
Melanie♥
Dec 04, 2009 Melanie♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
Well, I can now say that A Fine Specimen by Lisa Marie Rice is definitely a rewrite of Taming Nick. I lucked into a copy on PBS and was curious as to how it compared. Change the first names of the two main characters, add LMRs wonderful steamy hot love scenes and there you have it. Some parts are word for word the same, others augmented and seriously spiced up. AFS is by far my favorite of the two. I found out that the Precious Gem Series of books was written exclusively for the WalMart stores ( ...more
Auntee
Just got the print edition, and it has 224 pages, not 332 pages as the EC website advertises.:( I'm still hoping that means there's some additional scenes...
Carey Sabala
Sep 27, 2014 Carey Sabala rated it it was ok
I normally like LMR but this one bored me to tears. I love contemporary romance and love cops/detectives but this one had my eyes rolling. The descriptions of the hero got a bit lengthy - yes we get he's an alpha male but comparing him to a wolf pack and constantly talking about he's the king of the pile was a bit much. Almost like the reader didn't know what an alpha male is. Then we get into her internal dialog which was also a bit much. She was always talking and comparing and putting herself ...more
Alima Livzletlivz
Sep 12, 2016 Alima Livzletlivz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Lisa Marie Rice’s Midnight Series – every one of those sizzlers and I have revisited them innumerable times, that I’ve stopped counting. And now with her latest re-release of “A Fine Specimen”, I get to feel the sizzle and the simmer between the tough lieutenant Alex Cruz and the scholarly Caitlin Summers.

What got to me is Lisa’s style of narration - crisp, sharp and full of wit that tickles our funny bones. If studying dominance in law enforcement is Caitlin’s dissertation, Alex is the
HєllyBєlly
Needed a LMR-fix, but this just wasn't as satisfying as many other books I read - Woman on the Run my first and favourite.

The main characters in A Fine Specimen basically have the same traits as all LMR's H/h - him über-alpha, constantly gagging for her. She is innocent and lovely, but responds to him physically like nevah evah.

Her klutziness (constantly dropping food into his lap) was taken a little bit too far.

And what I really disliked about this book was a scene at the hotel where the heroin
Victoria
Jan 28, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it

I feel so lucky to have spent my day with Lisa Marie Rice! Seriously love her contemporary romances, there's almost a vintage feel to them. The first 25% of the story did drag a bit, there was a lot of internal monologue but it did pick up after that. My only disappointment now is that I think I've read all LMR's books. Always a terrible feeling when we reach the end of a favorite author's book list. I guess that's what re-reads are for!
R. C.
Mar 02, 2012 R. C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dtbs-i-have
For the most part, I thought this book was pretty boring. The H and h seemed kind of thrown together with no depth to their relationship. It has the normal L.M. Rice hotness, but this is definitely my least favorite of all her books that I've read.
Natalie
Dec 11, 2011 Natalie rated it did not like it
Normally I love books by Ms. Rice, but I can't stand the hero in this one. I see no redeeming qualities in him and I can't even finish it. On to the next one...
Annetta Sweetko
Oct 06, 2016 Annetta Sweetko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about A FINE SPECIMEN but ... wow! I loved watching the tough scary cop learn to be human at the hands of in his words “a pencil-dick geek writing a useless dissertation.”

Alex Cruz is feared by bad guys and well ... the good guys are a bit afraid of him too. Being forced to work with Caitlin Summers, who turns out to be not only gorgeous but not in the least afraid of him, is certainly the last thing he plans to do. Soon he finds himself thinking about things other than police wo
Dana
Dec 22, 2016 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot itself was okay, but I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED WITH HOW IT ENDED. The blurb was entirely misleading as to how the pacing of this book was going to go.

In hindsight, I shouldn't be surprised with the length of this novel but the pacing of the story was entirely too slow for how fast it ended. It was wonderful, from the beginning to the middle but honestly, it felt so rushed towards the end, with a sloppily written climax and even more sloppy ending.

Can you spell COMPLETE LET DOWN?

I can be mor
Vânia Nunes
Sep 08, 2016 Vânia Nunes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vânia by: Lisa Marie Rice
First of all let me say that I am a huge fan of Ms Rice. I often read her books with a giant voracity. Some books we feel connection with the characters on the first page. Other books, you need to read a little more to understand the complexity of it all.

With this book here, despite being short story, I needed to analyse to realize which feeling I had to the main couple.

Alex was a TOP policeman. But his life was not easy. He was raised by lax parents (alcoholic and drugs addict), became involved
Gail Ward
Excellent

Excellent light reading very enjoyable. Hope there will be a follow on book. Can't wait to see the outcome after the wedding
Erin
Sep 16, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ending was really rushed.
  • Shadows at Midnight
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • Flash Point  (Holding Out For a Hero, #3)
  • Now You See Him...
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Secrets: The Best in Women's Romantic Erotica Vol. 9
  • Witness Seduction
  • Rude Awakening
  • A Very Sinful Valentine (Addicted, #2.2)
  • Maverick's Black Cat (The Boulevard, #1)
  • Worth the Trip
  • Breaking The Rules
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Hot in Here
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Man Trouble
  • The Best Man
Lisa Marie Rice is eternally 30 years old and will never age. She is tall and willowy and beautiful. Men drop at her feet like ripe pears. She has won every major book prize in the world. She is a black belt with advanced degrees in archaeology, nuclear physics, and Tibetan literature. She is a concert pianist. Did I mention her Nobel Prize? Of course, Lisa Marie Rice is a virtual woman and exists ...more
More about Lisa Marie Rice...