Start by marking “Girl Genius, Vol. 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius #8)” as Want to Read:
Girl Genius, Vol. 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius #8)

Girl Genius, Vol. 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius #8)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Adventure Romance, Mad Science ! Agatha Hetrodyne is the last heir to the Maddest of Mad Scientist families, and now she's returned home to claim the family castle. Unfortunately , it turns out that she's not the only one with that idea, and the Castle is a hopeless death trap.
Published August 18th 2009 by Studio Foglio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Genius, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Genius, Vol. 8

Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Philippa BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerThe Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. Mackenzie
Steampunk
72nd out of 318 books — 548 voters
The Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. MackenzieSpring-heeled Jack and the President's Ring by D.L. MackenzieEscape from Xanadu by D.L. MackenzieHigh Crimes and Miscreants by D.L. Mackenzie
Best Steampunk and Gaslight Works
48th out of 179 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Hands down, the best volume so far. The world building and charaters are simply amazing and oh so much fun. I was laughing aloud through the majority of this read and can not recommend this series more. If you enjoy adventure, fantasy, steampunk, and what is hilariously turning into a healthy dose of romance then this series is for you. I love so many of these characters. When I am long finishd, these characters will stay with me. Especially the jagers. :)
Christopher
Hugo-award winner! WooHoo!

Agatha has in many ways completed the first major step in her character transformation. The distracted, incompetant klutz of the first book has come into her own and is ready to command her city and armies. I wonder if being in the old homestead might not push her a bit too far into the realm of dangerous, unstable mad-science favored by her ancestors. Maybe there was a reason the Heterodyne Boys spent so much time away from the castle adventuring?
Sharakael
My favourite volume as it has my favourite piece of dialogue in the whole series (about Klaus' monologue on communicating in the workplace). And also, this is the volume which shows the most clearly, I think, the personality transformation Agatha had gone through. It's *satisfying* to see Agatha assuming her role as one of the most kickass heroine out there.

Anyone who hasn't been reading Girl Genius is missing out.
Raj
In volume 8 of Agatha Heterodyne's exciting adventures, Agatha is back in her family seat of Mechanicsberg but to hold it, she'll need the help of the (sentient) castle, which means getting inside it and repairing it, while dealing with the fractured mind that mostly wants to kill things. Meanwhile, Gil Wulfenbach has to hold the rest of the town together, and fend off his father, long enough to let her do her work.

Fun, quick to read and so much more coherent to those with a short memory than a
Rob
Another delightful volume of Girl Genius, full of excitement and hilarity. The Chapel of Bones begins with a near-deadly whirlwind of activity, beginning with Agatha's entrance to Castle, and leading up to the most climactic point of the entire story so far: (view spoiler). Meanwhile, Gilgamesh Wulfenbach, recovered from his altercation with a fleet of horribly beweaponed battle clanks, hatches an insane, and hysterically fun ...more
Mary Catelli
An installment in the continuing story. With spoilers ahead for the earlier ones.

Actually, it opens with the opera. The classic tale of the STORM KING!!! And some backstory slithered in. I wonder if opera composers also have the Spark, or there's just a family relationship.

Agatha inside. She meets other prisoners, deals with a mad kitchen, and discovers her past coming back to haunt her in the form of fellow prisoners. And the Heterodyne girl imposter puts a high reward on her head: freedom and
Marsha
Getting herself recognized as a Heterodyne used to be easy…that’s before Agatha came up against a psychotic castle with a mind of its own, several malfunctioning systems and a twisted sense of humor. A fake Heterodyne and two rival, bickering suitors for Agatha’s hand don’t make matters any easier. Various factions descend on Mechanicsburg, trying to take over the town.

As usual the chuckles abound as Agatha deals with tetchy helpers (don’t call him a minion), staking her claim as the one true H
Norman Cook
More than any of the other 2009 Hugo Award Graphic Story nominees, this tale suffers by being an isolated chapter in a longer narrative. Girl Genius is a thrice weekly web-based comic, and this volume collects about a year’s worth of story. Without a clear beginning or ending, the reader is left to grope around for character definitions and plot drivers. As best I could tell, Agatha Heterodyne is an engineer/adventurer exploring an ancestral castle filled with booby traps and supernatural entiti ...more
Nicola Mansfield
This is a tough book to give a fair review since as a Cybils nominee I've had to jump in with book 8. There is a lot going on, a back story I have no idea about, but what I can tell is that this steampunk comic is one I want to start from the beginning and read. The art is bright, humourous, with over dramatic facial expressions and very buxom women. While I had no idea of the whole general plot, even with the quick "The Story So Far" write up at the front of the book, I did grasp the mini plot ...more
Stewart Tame
Woot! No one does over the top action like the Foglios. And just when you think the mix can't get any more insane there's that last page ... Should be a nice payoff in the next volume. As always, the patented Foglio mix of drama and comedy pleases like nobody's business. Excellent work!
Nicholas Whyte
"Agatha Heterodyne is struggling with the legacy of her family castle, which has a mind of its own (or several minds, as it turns out); meanwhile Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is trying to break into the castle and rescue her, against the wishes of his father the baron. The Foglio art style is distinctive (and a bit of googling revealed why I thought it looked familiar); the plotting and scrioting decent enough. It's a fun romp, but difficult to appreciate without having read the first seven volumes. Unl ...more
Bonnie
This is, in my opinion, one of the funniest volumes of Girl Genius. I love Castle Heterodyne... I love Castle Heterodyne's skewed logic and twisted memory... "I can kill people in the sky! - Yay! Do that! Kill everyone in the sky!" This also has Gil's amazing new hat, declaring him to be a Schmott Guy! And then there's the epic stage battle between Gil and Zeetha, with a spork gun and the walking cage! And Mamma Gkika!!! If you haven't read Girl Genius before, none of that will make any sense, b ...more
Tabitha
I enjoyed many things about this volume. It had a lot of very funny dialogue and we met several new and entertaining characters. The audience also gets to catch up with a few old characters we haven't seen for awhile.
Despite all the positive aspects, there wasn't really enough advancement of the main plot to make me happy. We spent so much time running from place to place trying to keep up with a hundred little side stories and trying to get them all connected that basically the story didn't mov
Lora
Too confusing and just a lot of fighting.
Rony Letona
Very exciting!
Lori
Originally published online as a Web comic (where it can be found at www.girlgeniusonline.com), this series follows the exploits of a young woman, Agatha, who discovers she is the lost heir to a long-feared dynasty. Instead of a terribly serious version of this tale, the author/artist stick to humor over horrors. Still friends and enemies die, leaving their mark on Agatha as she grows to understand who she is and what she can do.
Mainon
One of my favorites in the Heterodyne-verse. Castle Heterodyne is a fascinating, sentient mansion with a lot of personality and possibly a bit of psychosis! Fun to see characters interact with a powerful piece of real estate, and the art is dark but beautifully drawn.
Josh
This series continues to be great fun. The action is mad-cap and the science is just mad. In order to enjoy this series one has to be in the proper mood. The characters aren't particularly deep, but the action and the jokes keeps things moving along at a good clip. I am looking forward to reading more.
Rachel Rogers
Long awaited (since we don't read this online) and lived up to expectations. Some of the reappearances of characters surprised me and others didn't. I love the interactions between Agatha and the castle and Gil and Zeetha. It's great seeing some of the characters from Castle Wolfenbach again.
Miss
Someone give the Foglios a high five! This is the most entertaining volume of Girl Genius I've read yet. Gil's attempts to rescue Agatha are getting increasingly hilarious and farcical and seeing Agatha come into her own as the Heterodyne heir to the Castle is pretty satisfying. 4.5 stars
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (2) times

I'm getting way better at interpreting Jagerspeak. Sometimes I come across a word and just cannot figure out what it's supposed to be though...

Funny!
Roberta
I waited almost a year to read this volume after finishing volume 7. And really I cannot understand why. I love Girl Genius. And the personalities of the castle are a coup of genius.
Christina (Boupie)
I love the castle. It has just the right amount of twisted humor to keep me laughing but not so much that is overwhelms the story. Again a great cast along with the Agatha in the castle.
Andrea
Funny, suspenseful, adventurous, with steampunk gadgets and great characters, it's Girl Genius at its finest.
Dustin
Another great Girl Genius volume. Agatha enters a massive death trap to save it from her foes.
Joy
I finally found the time to finish this. What can I say, a blast as always.
Shanna
More, science, romance, and death to come. Can't wait!
Ted
Oct 25, 2011 Ted rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Steampunk fans
Castle Heterodyne is the most awesome thing EVER!!
Stephanie Krause
Way more fun than a few books ago. Hooray!
Arwen
Jan 24, 2010 Arwen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: four-star, teen-reads
Girl Genius is one of my favorite webcomics!
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Digger, Volume Three
  • Iron West
  • FreakAngels, Volume 5 (FreakAngels, #5)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 12: Platinum Flats
  • Blue Beetle, Volume 1: Shellshocked
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries: Volume 2
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 9: Dead of Winter
  • ElfQuest: The Searcher and the Sword
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes "Magic: The Gathering," "Buck Godot," and the popular series of comics and novels, "Girl Genius," co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...
Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius #1) Girl Genius, Vol. 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2) Girl Genius, Vol. 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius #3) Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius) Girl Genius, Vol. 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius #5)

“She's a smart girl, so she doesn't trust you, but she obviously likes you.” 3 likes