Start by marking “Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)

Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius #8)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  1,148 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Adventure Romance, Mad Science ! Agatha Hetrodyne is the last heir to the Maddest of Mad Scientist families, and now she's returned home to claim the family castle. Unfortunately, it turns out that she's not the only one with that idea, and the Castle is a hopeless death trap.
Published March 10th 2015 by Airship Entertainment (first published 2009)

xkcd by Randall MunroeWorm by WildbowHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Best of the Web
40th out of 217 books — 267 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
182nd out of 852 books — 3,975 voters

More lists with this book...

Jackie B. Forman
Volume 8: In which Agatha enters a mass-murdering castle, almost admits to being in love, wins at everything except best hat.

It's obvious at this point that the bumbling klutz we met at the beginning of this series is not the same Agatha. She has grown in many ways, both forced and not. I really enjoy the woman that Agatha is turning into. She is embracing her future, but taking it one step at a time. Instead of cowering under the pressure of being a Heterodyne she's just doing what she thinks i
Kathryn
Oct 20, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Hands down, the best volume so far. The world building and charaters are simply amazing and oh so much fun. I was laughing aloud through the majority of this read and can not recommend this series more. If you enjoy adventure, fantasy, steampunk, and what is hilariously turning into a healthy dose of romance then this series is for you. I love so many of these characters. When I am long finishd, these characters will stay with me. Especially the jagers. :)
Andrea
She may have a mad castle, but he has the raddest hat.
Christopher
Hugo-award winner! WooHoo!

Agatha has in many ways completed the first major step in her character transformation. The distracted, incompetant klutz of the first book has come into her own and is ready to command her city and armies. I wonder if being in the old homestead might not push her a bit too far into the realm of dangerous, unstable mad-science favored by her ancestors. Maybe there was a reason the Heterodyne Boys spent so much time away from the castle adventuring?
Sharakael
My favourite volume as it has my favourite piece of dialogue in the whole series (about Klaus' monologue on communicating in the workplace). And also, this is the volume which shows the most clearly, I think, the personality transformation Agatha had gone through. It's *satisfying* to see Agatha assuming her role as one of the most kickass heroine out there.

Anyone who hasn't been reading Girl Genius is missing out.
David Schwan
Jun 22, 2016 David Schwan rated it it was amazing
This installment is centered around Agatha gaining control over Castle Hetrodyne--which is quite broken down and AI controlling it is close to mad. While this is happening various others are pursuing the same goal (doomed to fail since they are not Hetrodynes) and a love interest is furthered. Fun read with nice graphics.
Psychophant

For many years I have followed Girl Genius Webcomic as one of my daily rituals. I have been following the Foglio's quirky humour and idiosyncratic drawings.

What I really like of the series is the depth of scope and worldbuilding, with many details becoming obvious much later than when they appear. As such the recently appeared novels are the perfect complement, as you can finally be inside the head of Agatha, overcoming one of the limitations of comic: wordcount. So instead of being sparse with
Karissa
Nov 23, 2014 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This is the eighth TP in the wonderful Girl Genius gaslight fantasy graphic novel series. These books are just so much fun! This was one of the best books in this series so far.

Agatha has finally made it into Heterodyne Castle, now she needs to repair the castle. Except the castle is constantly trying to kill her, as is the pretend Agatha who entered the castle before her. Luckily it ends up Agatha knows a lot of people who have been imprisoned in the castle and some of her friends have decided
King Ævil
Dec 29, 2011 King Ævil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
Another delightful volume of Girl Genius, full of excitement and hilarity. The Chapel of Bones begins with a near-deadly whirlwind of activity, beginning with Agatha's entrance to Castle, and leading up to the most climactic point of the entire story so far: (view spoiler). Meanwhile, Gilgamesh Wulfenbach, recovered from his altercation with a fleet of horribly beweaponed battle clanks, hatches an insane, and hysterically fun ...more
Mary Catelli
An installment in the continuing story. With spoilers ahead for the earlier ones.

Actually, it opens with the opera. The classic tale of the STORM KING!!! And some backstory slithered in. I wonder if opera composers also have the Spark, or there's just a family relationship.

Agatha inside. She meets other prisoners, deals with a mad kitchen, and discovers her past coming back to haunt her in the form of fellow prisoners. And the Heterodyne girl imposter puts a high reward on her head: freedom and
Marsha
Getting herself recognized as a Heterodyne used to be easy…that’s before Agatha came up against a psychotic castle with a mind of its own, several malfunctioning systems and a twisted sense of humor. A fake Heterodyne and two rival, bickering suitors for Agatha’s hand don’t make matters any easier. Various factions descend on Mechanicsburg, trying to take over the town.

As usual the chuckles abound as Agatha deals with tetchy helpers (don’t call him a minion), staking her claim as the one true H
Norman Cook
Jul 29, 2010 Norman Cook rated it liked it
More than any of the other 2009 Hugo Award Graphic Story nominees, this tale suffers by being an isolated chapter in a longer narrative. Girl Genius is a thrice weekly web-based comic, and this volume collects about a year’s worth of story. Without a clear beginning or ending, the reader is left to grope around for character definitions and plot drivers. As best I could tell, Agatha Heterodyne is an engineer/adventurer exploring an ancestral castle filled with booby traps and supernatural entiti ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 18, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it liked it
This is a tough book to give a fair review since as a Cybils nominee I've had to jump in with book 8. There is a lot going on, a back story I have no idea about, but what I can tell is that this steampunk comic is one I want to start from the beginning and read. The art is bright, humourous, with over dramatic facial expressions and very buxom women. While I had no idea of the whole general plot, even with the quick "The Story So Far" write up at the front of the book, I did grasp the mini plot ...more
Stewart Tame
Feb 13, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it it was amazing
Woot! No one does over the top action like the Foglios. And just when you think the mix can't get any more insane there's that last page ... Should be a nice payoff in the next volume. As always, the patented Foglio mix of drama and comedy pleases like nobody's business. Excellent work!
Dean
Jul 05, 2015 Dean rated it really liked it
The story continues at a good clip. I just wish they would focus more on Agatha. The other side stories are somewhat distracting, even though they tend to come together. This arc also reintroduces characters from earlier parts of the story I don't think I remember.
Raj
Jun 20, 2016 Raj rated it really liked it
In volume 8 of Agatha Heterodyne's exciting adventures, Agatha is back in her family seat of Mechanicsberg but to hold it, she'll need the help of the (sentient) castle, which means getting inside it and repairing it, while dealing with the fractured mind that mostly wants to kill things. Meanwhile, Gil Wulfenbach has to hold the rest of the town together, and fend off his father, long enough to let her do her work.

Fun, quick to read and so much more coherent to those with a short memory than a
SharlzG
Nov 05, 2014 SharlzG rated it it was amazing
I read all 12 volumes over the space of a few days so can't separate one from the other for the sake of reviews, but can say that I'm not disappointed at having had this pointed out to me, only that it took so long for me to get on the bandwagon.
Nicholas Whyte
"Agatha Heterodyne is struggling with the legacy of her family castle, which has a mind of its own (or several minds, as it turns out); meanwhile Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is trying to break into the castle and rescue her, against the wishes of his father the baron. The Foglio art style is distinctive (and a bit of googling revealed why I thought it looked familiar); the plotting and scrioting decent enough. It's a fun romp, but difficult to appreciate without having read the first seven volumes. Unl ...more
Bonnie
This is, in my opinion, one of the funniest volumes of Girl Genius. I love Castle Heterodyne... I love Castle Heterodyne's skewed logic and twisted memory... "I can kill people in the sky! - Yay! Do that! Kill everyone in the sky!" This also has Gil's amazing new hat, declaring him to be a Schmott Guy! And then there's the epic stage battle between Gil and Zeetha, with a spork gun and the walking cage! And Mamma Gkika!!! If you haven't read Girl Genius before, none of that will make any sense, b ...more
Tabitha
Sep 14, 2011 Tabitha rated it liked it
I enjoyed many things about this volume. It had a lot of very funny dialogue and we met several new and entertaining characters. The audience also gets to catch up with a few old characters we haven't seen for awhile.
Despite all the positive aspects, there wasn't really enough advancement of the main plot to make me happy. We spent so much time running from place to place trying to keep up with a hundred little side stories and trying to get them all connected that basically the story didn't mov
Michael
Jun 20, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
Steampunk awesomeness at its finest!
Lora
May 12, 2014 Lora rated it liked it
Too confusing and just a lot of fighting.
Rony Letona
Jun 09, 2014 Rony Letona rated it it was amazing
Very exciting!
Nancy
Aug 31, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
The castle is a fantastic character! This volume introduces Viola (also a fantastic character) and brings back Moloch von Zinzer, and Agatha makes progress on the castle. Still great stuff but it's more a continuation of the story than a discrete story arc.

Girl Genius is ongoing and can be read online here. Volume 8 starts here.
Lori
Mar 10, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Originally published online as a Web comic (where it can be found at www.girlgeniusonline.com), this series follows the exploits of a young woman, Agatha, who discovers she is the lost heir to a long-feared dynasty. Instead of a terribly serious version of this tale, the author/artist stick to humor over horrors. Still friends and enemies die, leaving their mark on Agatha as she grows to understand who she is and what she can do.
Mainon
Sep 22, 2014 Mainon rated it really liked it
One of my favorites in the Heterodyne-verse. Castle Heterodyne is a fascinating, sentient mansion with a lot of personality and possibly a bit of psychosis! Fun to see characters interact with a powerful piece of real estate, and the art is dark but beautifully drawn.
Josh
Jun 02, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
This series continues to be great fun. The action is mad-cap and the science is just mad. In order to enjoy this series one has to be in the proper mood. The characters aren't particularly deep, but the action and the jokes keeps things moving along at a good clip. I am looking forward to reading more.
Rachel Rogers
Aug 21, 2009 Rachel Rogers rated it it was amazing
Long awaited (since we don't read this online) and lived up to expectations. Some of the reappearances of characters surprised me and others didn't. I love the interactions between Agatha and the castle and Gil and Zeetha. It's great seeing some of the characters from Castle Wolfenbach again.
Miss
Feb 25, 2012 Miss rated it really liked it
Someone give the Foglios a high five! This is the most entertaining volume of Girl Genius I've read yet. Gil's attempts to rescue Agatha are getting increasingly hilarious and farcical and seeing Agatha come into her own as the Heterodyne heir to the Castle is pretty satisfying. 4.5 stars
Coyora Dokusho
Dec 07, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
Read at least (2) times

I'm getting way better at interpreting Jagerspeak. Sometimes I come across a word and just cannot figure out what it's supposed to be though...

Funny!
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • Digger, Volume Three
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 2
  • FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries, Vol. 2 (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #2)
  • Under New Management (Schlock Mercenary, #3)
  • Iron West
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2: Death of a Dream
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 12: Platinum Flats
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes "Magic: The Gathering," "Buck Godot," and the popular series of comics and novels, "Girl Genius," co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...

Girl Genius (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius, #1)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius, #2)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius, #3)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams (Girl Genius, #4)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius, #5)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite (Girl Genius, #6)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius, #7)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm (Girl Genius, #9)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse (Girl Genius, #10)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell (Girl Genius, #11)

“She's a smart girl, so she doesn't trust you, but she obviously likes you.” 4 likes